Help with college level homework

MrX

CAGiversary!
Any good free sites out there? I am taking a music class however am NOT a music major so its getting really tough to make it through. Any good sites or any cags that are good at explaining musical form and such that can break it down in simple terms for a non music major? The class I am taking is American Pop Music. I have tried wikipedia but it is just not "clicking"

Google, Wikipedia, Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, etc. Shit make some stuff up. American Music/Music Appreciation is easy. It's all opinion for the most part.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Google, Wikipedia, Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, etc. Shit make some stuff up. American Music/Music Appreciation is easy. It's all opinion for the most part.[/quote]

Yes but the major prob is that I have to analyze these really old, crappy songs, which not being a music major is hard. Since I dont know what "form" is very well and I have to learn. Perfect example is I have to analyze "Maple Leaf Rag" from the late 1800s. Rolling Stone is no help there. Plus making that up cant happen

[quote name='MrX']Any good free sites out there? I am taking a music class however am NOT a music major so its getting really tough to make it through. Any good sites or any cags that are good at explaining musical form and such that can break it down in simple terms for a non music major? The class I am taking is American Pop Music. I have tried wikipedia but it is just not "clicking"[/QUOTE]

I majored in Music composition in college. What sort of help do you need?

[quote name='dopa345']I majored in Music composition in college. What sort of help do you need?[/quote]

Just a dummy leason in how to analyze "form" in a song would be a good start. Everything I have read is just not making sense

well sometimes people video tape there classes and you could find out about that. however it's mostly for the how to use this and that program class. Like Maya.

[quote name='MrX']Yes but the major prob is that I have to analyze these really old, crappy songs, which not being a music major is hard. Since I dont know what "form" is very well and I have to learn. Perfect example is I have to analyze "Maple Leaf Rag" from the late 1800s. Rolling Stone is no help there. Plus making that up cant happen[/quote]

That will teach you to take a class as a blow off and get burned.

[quote name='MrX']Just a dummy leason in how to analyze "form" in a song would be a good start. Everything I have read is just not making sense[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that my focus was more on 18th and 19th century music but the same basics should apply.

Typically, musical compositions are composed of sections. There is typically an "A" section which has the main theme and depending how either this thematic material is handled or what other distinct themes may follow it they develop into specific forms by convention. Most pop music for example often is in A-B-A-B etc. form, a main theme followed by a refrain then back to the same main melody etc.. Other compositions maybe more complex, having different themes in between recurrence of the main theme A-B-A-C-A-D etc... (called a Rondo), or maybe are simply variations of the main theme in different ways A-A'-A''-A''' (not surprisingly called "theme and variations". The first thing you should do when analyzing music is either by listening to and/or reading though the score and indentifying the themes and getting the general gist of the overall structure. A clue that you may be in a different section is a change in key or tempo or general character of the music. It's hard to describe in words but just trust your ear. Show you should have a general blueprint of the basic overall structure like "A-B-A-C-A" or something like that.

Beyond this, it depends on how advanced your analysis is expected to be. For example, are you expected to recognize Sonata form? Or the difference between a Fugue and a Passacaglia? A lot of that requires some basic knowledge of music theory so I won't go there if it's not expected of you.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']That will teach you to take a class as a blow off and get burned.[/quote]

Bad thing is that it is not a "blow off " class. It is required by my school.... otherwise I would have not fuckin touched it. I am majoring in IT damn it I love music but to listen to and cough dl cough, that really all I care to do with it

[quote name='dopa345']Keep in mind that my focus was more on 18th and 19th century music but the same basics should apply.

Typically, musical compositions are composed of sections. There is typically an "A" section which has the main theme and depending how either this thematic material is handled or what other distinct themes may follow it they develop into specific forms by convention. Most pop music for example often is in A-B-A-B etc. form, a main theme followed by a refrain then back to the same main melody etc.. Other compositions maybe more complex, having different themes in between recurrence of the main theme A-B-A-C-A-D etc... (called a Rondo), or maybe are simply variations of the main theme in different ways A-A'-A''-A''' (not surprisingly called "theme and variations". The first thing you should do when analyzing music is either by listening to and/or reading though the score and indentifying the themes and getting the general gist of the overall structure. A clue that you may be in a different section is a change in key or tempo or general character of the music. It's hard to describe in words but just trust your ear. Show you should have a general blueprint of the basic overall structure like "A-B-A-C-A" or something like that.

Beyond this, it depends on how advanced your analysis is expected to be. For example, are you expected to recognize Sonata form? Or the difference between a Fugue and a Passacaglia? A lot of that requires some basic knowledge of music theory so I won't go there if it's not expected of you.[/quote]

That is sooo awesome thanks that does help a lot. And NO thank god its not music theory I would fucking shoot myself if it was

[quote name='MrX']Bad thing is that it is not a "blow off " class. It is required by my school.... otherwise I would have not fuckin touched it. I am majoring in IT damn it I love music but to listen to and cough dl cough, that really all I care to do with it[/quote]

Which school is this that requires music appreciation for IT?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Which school is this that requires music appreciation for IT?[/QUOTE]

That's what I want to know. I've never heard of something like this.

[quote name='dopa345']Most schools have an art requirement as part of the basic curriculum don't they? At least mine did.[/quote]

The one that I am attending does as well. Actually most state funded schools in my state you have to take at least 40 some hours of general ed classes. It fucking SUCKS!!!

[quote name='David85']Go to a different college.[/quote]
Yes but already having student aide money and being in the middle of a semester, it cant be done.

[quote name='MrX']The one that I am attending does as well. Actually most state funded schools in my state you have to take at least 40 some hours of general ed classes. It fucking SUCKS!!![/QUOTE]

It's part of being a well-rounded college educated individual. Trust me, you'll appreciate it later.

bread's done
Back