Help with computer part selection

golliiath

CAG Veteran
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hi I'm wanting to build a computer, I'm on a budget the lower the better but I can spend maybe up to 700. I can always upgrade later so I keep that in mind when selecting but for right now I was wondering are these parts compatible? From what I see I think they are, this will be my first build and I watched the videos on newegg for building one and tried to do other homework on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131771

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353

the video card comes in a combo with a power supply is why its 1 reason I'm selecting it and the reviews seem good for it. Any help or info is appreciated! Thank you.

I would get a 6950 2gb instead since they are significantly cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530

That psu isn't very good. Right now on newegg theres and xfx that is close in price if you send in a rebate, otherwise try to see if they get the antec hcg back in stock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371048

Do you have a SSD or 7200 rpm HD you will be using? If not, that 5400 rpm HD will be a problem.

[quote name='runsongas']I would get a 6950 2gb instead since they are significantly cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530

That psu isn't very good. Right now on newegg theres and xfx that is close in price if you send in a rebate, otherwise try to see if they get the antec hcg back in stock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371048

Do you have a SSD or 7200 rpm HD you will be using? If not, that 5400 rpm HD will be a problem.[/QUOTE]

Yep! I made some minor changes already.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102945

I'm also on another forum getting help. I think I'm almost ready for the purchase.

For the graphics card.

SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

or

EVGA 012-P3-2066-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores FTW 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Can someone explain the difference to me? Which is better and why? You don't have to but it will help me in the future.

The EVGA gtx 560 Ti 448 core is the newer or updated version of the gtx 560 Ti, the 448 core puts that card on par with a gtx 570 but for cheaper price. Check out the link below comparing a few of the graphics cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-ti-448-core-benchmark,3082-4.html

Also http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Also depending on what resolution you are going to be running if 1920x1080 (1080p) having 2gb of video memory doesn't affect most games. Having greater than 1GB becomes useful at resolutions ABOVE 1920x1080, such as 2560x1600 or when running multiple monitors. Getting a higher end GPU outweighs the extra memory in the end. From what I have gathered. Hope some of this helps.

I know the computer forums aren't that to active here but here is a link to a pretty informative board
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/985643-Important-Build-Help-Threads-Links
Really helpful all the mods and everyone there love building set ups for people. I cruise there from time to time helping out.

That new 560 ti 448 Cores is a freaking machine. Just keep on researching until you see the deals/parts that you want.

And welcome to the Glorious Master Race :D

[quote name='golliiath']For the graphics card.

SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

or

EVGA 012-P3-2066-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores FTW 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Can someone explain the difference to me? Which is better and why? You don't have to but it will help me in the future.[/QUOTE]
when the specs are similar its tough to just look at them and say oh ok this card has a faster core speed so its better. you really have to look at benchmarks and game performance with a setup similar to your own.

It kinda comes down to whether you think you will go multi-monitor in the future, if you might need CUDA support at all, and whether ventilation/heat might be a problem in your case (ATI generally runs cooler).

The performance and pricing right now on Newegg of the GTX 560 Ti 448 core and 6950 2GB are very similar.

I forgot to mention that evga still gives a limited lifetime warranty I believe. Having returned a few vid cards before, that can be a useful thing to consider.

Just now scrolling down to see this, figure it's better to ask here than start a new thread:

Any chance graphics cards will come down more in the next 3-4 months ahead of the new releases? I didn't know if they'll be able to exhaust their stock without the need for bargain pricing. I'd really like to upgrade, and I'd like to get as powerful a card as I can for ~200.

To the OP, dump the WD black drives for the samsung F3's. They are cheaper and a good bit faster. Although, if you want to save some money, you can get a cheap seagate since they are on sale at NCIX US. Stick with Antec, Corsair, OCZ, Seasonic, and Silverstone for PSU; you could look at the Cooler Master, XFX and thermaltake since they are fairly good brands, but I'd never pay same or more over the first tier of brands listed above.

A bit late to the party but here's what I selected:

I basically went with similar specs as you and others pointed out above. You can go with the 1866 cas 9 memory that you found on Amazon since its a good price, but I just selected a decent 1600 cas 9 at 1.5v instead of the 1.65v; nothing dramatically different, just that you'll use a little more power and produce a little more heat. You have to be careful since some 1.65v spec ram may not be part of the QVL list for your motherboard. But since most intel chipsets support XMP profiles (since x48's), you shouldn't have any real compatibility issues, specially from a name brand like Kingston. Honestly, it really doesn't matter too much for the speed since you will see almost no real world difference between 1600 and 1866. Some tests have shown 1-2fps increase with a speed jump only on select games, but it still covers the 5% error bound.

The 560 ti 448 is basically a 570 lite since its uses the same GPU core and has nothing in common with the 560 ti's. Its also very powerful and hits a better price/performance ratio than the 570's considering its only 1-3 fps off in almost every game out there right now. The biggest down side with the 448's are the fact they are limited edition runs and were only meant for this holiday season, so if you were looking to pick up a 2nd one 6 months from now; it could become an issue. (Also, nvidia had a lot 570 gpu cores that didn't pass mustard, so they did what AMD did; disabled a few SM and steam processors and made a whole new product)

Also, all of the 448's from evga use the KR code, which means you are limited to a 3 year warranty period instead of the AR lifetime warranty. You can alternatively look at the 6950's that was mentioned earlier since they both hit about the same performance.

And not to stir up more debates, but FYI, Ivy Bridge and keplers are within 2 or so months away. If you can't hold out, then the 2500k build above will last you a while. Its hard to tell people to build a new PC when it will be outdated in 2 months. Sandy Bridge has been out for a while and current line of fermi's are over a year old at this point.

@kiwimonster: The only game right now that can use more than 1GB of vram at 1080p/1200p is BF3 in ultra; only because their texture packs and post processing filters will take up space. It can actually bloat upwards of 1400-1600MB with everything on and can result in vram dump issues that will sporadically drop frames for a split second until the game loads new textures/map information. It also depends on what map your on (size wise) and any pre/post processing filters such as CSAA/FXAA.

Skyrim will hit the 1GB and go beyond it if you customize the rendering file and add high res texture files, but at stock, 1080p/1200p doesn't even use more than 800MB.

@dothog: As for what will happen with the current line of gpu's once keplers come out is anyone guess. I'd expect prices to fall, hopefully the gtx 580's will fall to the rumored $350 and everything else falls down a similar path. AMD's 7k series is definitely stirring up trouble, but their latest budget 7770/7750's didn't exactly bring that much to the table. A relatively small bump in performance of what they are replacing for a little more money, although they are a bit more power efficient. The 7770 is priced pretty high at $160-180 when it doesn't even beat the $130-150 6850's.

[quote name='JBaz']@dothog: As for what will happen with the current line of gpu's once keplers come out is anyone guess. I'd expect prices to fall, hopefully the gtx 580's will fall to the rumored $350 and everything else falls down a similar path. AMD's 7k series is definitely stirring up trouble, but their latest budget 7770/7750's didn't exactly bring that much to the table. A relatively small bump in performance of what they are replacing for a little more money, although they are a bit more power efficient. The 7770 is priced pretty high at $160-180 when it doesn't even beat the $130-150 6850's.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help.

The impression I'm getting is that now's a good time to build in that there won't be a ton of changes in the next 6-8 months. Apparently Intel's going to delay Ivy Bridge even longer and the new cards may not necessarily do much to pricing.

I kind of wish something new was coming out soon, as I don't have time to build now. I'd rather there be newer, possibly cheaper options 3-4 months from now, when I do have time. It doesn't look like it's going to be that way.

Apparently Intel's going to delay Ivy Bridge even longer and the new cards may not necessarily do much to pricing.
Intel is only delaying mass shipments of the new chips to June, not the original release date. This primary effects system builders and mostly noted for the mobile markets until sandy bridge inventories are expunged.

Intel will ship small amounts the new processors in early April. Mass shipments are expected to start sometime after June according to notebook manufacturers. Notebook manufacturers cited by DigiTimes claim that the Ivy Bridge delay is due to the weak global economy and issues with Sandy Bridge processor inventory. Presumably, Intel is hoping some of its inventory of older processors will sell before the new parts are launched.

As for the GPU lineup, it would stupid for nvidia to not firesale their older gpu's to get rid of inventory when Kepler's come out; maybe not right away, but probably in the next 3-4 months they'll level out considering AMD has been putting the hurt on nvidia's lower lineup for the last year. The 600 series range from 650 ti to the 680's, but has been noted that the development of the 680 chip may come at a later date; Nvidia has to make sure they get it right since the chip is used in Geforce, Tesla and Quadro. They've already got a 20 million dollar deal to install new Tesla 3000 gpu's based on Kepler for the Jaguar Super computer in TN in the summer.

Not to mention AMD's 7800 mid range gpu's are expected to come out in March; unlike nvidia, they haven't had any production yield issues.

I know this is someone elses thread, but if I'm planning to have a PC build thats primarily for media/video editing (with some gaming like Starcraft 2) - does this build seem fine (knowing I didnt select have an SSD or Optical drive in there yet)? Its mostly the same as JBaz presented but I already have the case and PSU so those arent changable and I'm not really inclined to wait a whole lot longer to build the machine.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: OCZ 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)

Would I want to pick up a CPU cooler or need extra case fans immediately? Or any other thoughts? I dont want to spend a ton more than whats here and the SSD. Thanks in advance!

depends, what video editor are you using? If budget is an issue, don't even bother getting an SSD, go with more ram (lowest timings you can afford) and a cpu cooler. You won't be feeding files that fast for the system to encode, specially with HD files using two pass h.264.

[quote name='Arakias']I know this is someone elses thread, but if I'm planning to have a PC build thats primarily for media/video editing (with some gaming like Starcraft 2) - does this build seem fine (knowing I didnt select have an SSD or Optical drive in there yet)? Its mostly the same as JBaz presented but I already have the case and PSU so those arent changable and I'm not really inclined to wait a whole lot longer to build the machine.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: OCZ 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)

Would I want to pick up a CPU cooler or need extra case fans immediately? Or any other thoughts? I dont want to spend a ton more than whats here and the SSD. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Alot of people say go with a i-7 2600k for video / media editing. Might want to look into that. Also I agree on getting a CPU cooler and more case fans for any machine. You can get them for next to nothing anyways.

What type of work are we talking about anyways? Adding text to a video or shit like heavy rendering and such?

True, the i7 2600k will add 15-30% boost in apps that uses HT like video editing/encoding, but its hard to justify the extra $100... I mean look at the rest of his build list; doesn't exactly scream out that he has the kind of disposable cash to upgrade.

Also, I wouldn't pay even $100 for a 550ti, such an under-performing card for it's price point. Shit I got a 460 1gb for $100 and its a good 10-20% faster. It just made me wonder why nvidia released such a crappy card at such a high MSRP. Specially when AMD's 6850/6870 kills it. And now the 6770/6750.

[quote name='strikeratt']What type of work are we talking about anyways? Adding text to a video or shit like heavy rendering and such?[/QUOTE]

Some rendering, post production work of footage from DSLR. Nothing too intensive I guess as the work is still hypothetical. I suppose I mostly need a new machine at this point at the sub $1000 budget (or less). I'll be using Premiere for the work and I just saw this site
http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Vi...iting/0x4aebb06ba071d2b6a2cd784ce243a6c6.aspx and they recommend the i7 also as well as other cards and more RAM also. I'll see what I can extend my budget to but yeah, I guess they dont require the SSD so maybe that will save some cost.
CPU cooler and fans are negligible costs that I wasnt worried about but just wondered if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JBaz']True, the i7 2600k will add 15-30% boost in apps that uses HT like video editing/encoding, but its hard to justify the extra $100... I mean look at the rest of his build list; doesn't exactly scream out that he has the kind of disposable cash to upgrade.

Also, I wouldn't pay even $100 for a 550ti, such an under-performing card for it's price point. Shit I got a 460 1gb for $100 and its a good 10-20% faster. It just made me wonder why nvidia released such a crappy card at such a high MSRP. Specially when AMD's 6850/6870 kills it. And now the 6770/6750.[/QUOTE]

Haha good point.

He's spot on with the 550 as well.

[quote name='strikeratt']Haha good point.

He's spot on with the 550 as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sad cause I'm on a lame budget but I've gotta upgrade at this point. I'll splurge for the 16 GB ram (Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory) but let me see about video card.

[quote name='Arakias']Some rendering, post production work of footage from DSLR. Nothing too intensive I guess as the work is still hypothetical. I suppose I mostly need a new machine at this point at the sub $1000 budget (or less). I'll be using Premiere for the work and I just saw this site
http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Vi...iting/0x4aebb06ba071d2b6a2cd784ce243a6c6.aspx and they recommend the i7 also as well as other cards and more RAM also. I'll see what I can extend my budget to but yeah, I guess they dont require the SSD so maybe that will save some cost.
CPU cooler and fans are negligible costs that I wasnt worried about but just wondered if necessary.[/QUOTE]
First of all, I don't trust anything from a website that looks like my dad would build and color... Seriously? Brown? And the layout just screams 2002.

Second, I don't trust them because they are using sub-par acer monitors for color critical applications such as video editing... It's all fine for non-pro video work, but if you tout yourself as professional, even if you are giving advice to non-pro's, having a quality 8bit or 10bit color depth panel is just as important as having a fast CPU for rendering. They don't even touch on the subject or give advice on what monitors to look at, just size wise.

Third, recommending nvidia quadro for video work (even pro-level) because of it's "better" OpenGL support is a load of crap. And you get the same level of CUDA power on a consumer level GPU. What you are paying for with quadro (and a lot more I might add) is the double precision floating point calculations (128/64bit vs 16bit on geforce), not CUDA or OpenGL/CL. And you don't even need it for video editing unless you use some CGI in your videos. A lot of video guys are dumb when it comes to this stuff and just reiterate of what nvidia people tell them or other dumb video pros tell them.

Lastly, AMD video cards are way faster for OpenCL apps and the only one that uses it for video work as far as I know is Sony Vegas Pro 11. Adobe has been saying they are going to support OpenCL in premiere pro for the last 2 years, but I gave up and went back to nvidia for CUDA. They didn't add it in 5.5 and won't likely add support till 6... if that. I have no faith in Adobe at this point. I'm probably going to switch to Sony Vegas Pro in the near future if their gpu hardware acceleration is as good as people have said. I just hope that SLI/xfire support gets added; that'll make my triple 570's worth it.

You also don't need high end GTX 470/570's for video editing. You do want CUDA for CS5/5.5 for support, which basically means all geforce cards. They make NO mention other than Mercury playback engine support for gpu hardware acceleration, but they completely omit any notions that Premier Pro does offer other gpu acceleration support on a number of their filters for post processing as well as encoding support (Although, Adobe doesn't exactly spell this out easily on their website either; have to go to their forums for this information and how to use it properly).

So for about $1000 without case and PSU, here's what I've come up with.
I forgot if you need an OS or not, so I just budgeted one in there just in case. You can omit if you don't need one.

I kept with the i5 2500k since its still a very power chip with a lot of overclocking potential. Paired it with a cheap CM 212+ cooler and the nice Asrock ext3 gen3 board, and you're pretty much golden for a while. If you get a beefier cpu cooler and a more powerful PSU, you can crank that cpu to 4.8-5ghz and be completely stable. The Asrock board has all the essentials that you need or want in the price range, plus it supports ivy bridge, pcie 3.0 cards and one of the cheapest, most featured z68 chipset around. If you have no need for a heavy OC, SLI or pcie 3.0 support, then you can go with cheaper z68 boards or even p67's, closer to the $90 mark that will still be perfect for this build.

I again say go with as much ram as you can since its cheap right now. I picked the G.Skill 16gb (4x4gb) set since its the cheapest 1.5v cas9 timing right now; this can change daily. Corsair had a killer deal not long ago for their 16gb vengeance set for $67; same specs (was a newgg shellshocker deal, didn't last).

As for your budget, I still included an SSD; although its an entry level SATAIII OCZ agility 3 120gb, but its nonetheless a very speedy SSD. The biggest down side with it is that it uses Async NAND's, which will have a slower performance in in-compressible files like encoded video or processed pictures, but you'll still hit 200+MB/sec speeds on both reads and writes, while other files will hit close to 500MB/sec. Just keep your OS, one or two games and Adobe apps on there, while you use the rest of the space as a scratch disk. I added a 7200 1TB drive for secondary storage, but you can easily go with a larger 2tb 5400/5900 green drive. Just have to be careful if you are reading AND writing from the same disk as that will drop your rendering performance.

I went a bit high end with the GPU--the nice EVGA GTX 560ti 448 model. Now it is a limited edition card so you'll have a hard time finding a 2nd one if you were looking to do SLI down the road. But for a single card solution, its very fast. It's actually a GTX 570 chip that has a fewer steam processors and 1 less SM, but runs nearly as fast for $80 less (1-3 frames slower in most games). Plus with its beefier core, its CUDA potential is a nice added bonus for apps that can take advantage of it. You can go cheaper with a $220 560ti or the vanilla $180 560, but I wouldn't bother with a 550ti.

Thanks for the help JBaz, I'll prob go with exactly what you listed, I've just ordered most of the stuff. I prob wont do SLI down the line as you said but I'm happy this one is fine.

I picked up the i5 from Microcenter today but its only a $6 savings (after tax) from NCIX. Used newegg for board, ram, video and cooler just now ($496 after promo before rebate and any cash back). EVGA 012-P3-2066-KR GeForce GTX has a small promo (7%) and a rebate so it should end up about $235 and the RAM discount is at 10%.

I might reuse a optical drive and I have an older 750 GB SATA drive I'll use as a second drive. Other than that, I do want an SSD (which I will order soon I just noticed that theres $15 gift card on top of the rebate), maybe a case fan. Its too bad Amazon is not competitive on these prices since I have credit there I would prefer to use up.

Well shit, if you have a microcenter nearby, you need to check the sales they got. They were running a $50 off combo deal with mobo/cpu and have a number of good prices on 120GB SSD's in the $130 price range; granted, you'll find similar deals online but they tend to be without rebates and you get it right then and there. Microcenter is truly newegg IRL... if newegg actually had retail stores (besides their headquarters store front).

Well it isnt quite nearby, its about 45 mins away and in NY the tax is 8.375% (+ I figure gas since I dont go that way, while Newegg is no tax and generally free shipping) but I'll check out the SSDs because I might actually be close by again tomorrow.

bread's done
Back