Help with eBay Purchase?

advanced

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Last Sunday, I was browsing around eBay for old musical equipment. While I was there, I found a brand new posting of a Silvertone 1484 that I had been wanting for a long time. The BIN price was pretty reasonable, so I did that instead of bidding on it. Paid right away as eBay led me to the site. Messaged the guy and he was going to take it out for a little maintenance work to get the plug updated to today's standard (2 vs 3 prong end) and the tremolo cleaned out/looked at. We talked a bit on Sunday and he seemed happy to have sold it.

Now, I haven't received a shipped email from the guy or any of the other channels I've gotten it before and he hasn't responded to the message I sent him yesterday. I know I have a limited time to file a complaint or whatever it is eBay calls it (Dispute?) and get my money back and I was just wondering when I should go about doing that to make sure I don't lose out on my $350. It hasn't been a full calendar week, but he has had a full business week to ship it.

Any help/pointers?

[quote name='advanced']he was going to take it out for a little maintenance work to get the plug updated to today's standard (2 vs 3 prong end) and the tremolo cleaned out/looked at.[/QUOTE]
This statement right here is all you need to know that this seller is going to be trouble.

Once you list an item on eBay, you don't do ANYTHING with the item other than prepare it for packaging. If there's some dust you didn't notice and want to wipe it down to prevent future embarassment/low rating, that's fine, but to take it somewhere to get it altered after it's been not only listed but sold...that's 100% bad seller territory.

Story time: A long time ago a friend asked me to list some motorcycle mirrors for him under my eBay account. I listed and sold them, then find out they're still on his bike and he has to remove them before packing them. Obvious story is obvious. He broke one of the connectors while removing them from the bike. We ended up refunding the buyer all of the money and still sent the mirrors to him out of embarassment.

Thanks for the quick input, guys. He finally got a hold of me and seems a bit scatterbrained. Claimed he'll ship it sometime this upcoming week. I figure I'll give him a shot because I should still be able to dispute it after the fact (and this amp is rare/I really want it). I've got at least two weeks to dispute it if never ships, right?

And I've never thought about that way Kerig, but what you said makes sense. He had that information listed in the listing though, but it should have been done before getting it listed. I'll consider this for future purchases, so thank you.

You have 45 days. Don't panic.

I agree that it isn't the best sign that he is getting work done after the sale however if he actually is don't you think that would delay the shipping?

Also a lot of people travel for graduations and such this time of the year. He might be away.

Remember eBay isn't Amazon; it's nice to get your items lightning quick but most small time sellers have a life outside of eBay.

I was worried more about the delay in communication. I have an iPod so I'm always checking email/responding lightning quick. As for the service, it's literally routine for older amps, I just didn't feel like getting it done myself (my amp guy is always busy because I live in Los Angeles) and he said it'd be done quick. Guy got busy, so I'm giving him the benefit of my doubt right now.

You're right though, GBAstar, I did start to panic a bit. Thanks for the reassurance guys. I appreciate it.

first things first- make a note of when you have to file a claim by... either write on a calendar or set yuor phone up to notify you. You don't want to lose track of time and miss out.

After that- I usually go by the two day rule... when you send an email asking for a status update, give two days to reply before the next one. If they don't reply to that one in two days, tell them they have 48 hours before you file a claim. That way you allow more than enough time for the less computer-inclined to actually check their stuff. Sometimes I only do one day in all that, the logic being if you're selling online, you should probably know to check your messages at least once a day.

I'd say get this guy to give you an estimate of when the checkup on the amp'll be done, and make sure to start bugging him about it when the time comes- if it is a scam, it is just the sort of way they'd drag you out past your dispute window.

Thanks for the ideas, DuelLadyS.

Seriously, this thread is so full of win it makes me happy to be a part of CAG. Honestly, thank you all very much.

Edit: 45 days from May 20th (the day I bought it) would be July 4th by my counts. So I'll keep on him, but won't press the issue unless he goes AWOL again like this past week. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='advanced']Thanks for the ideas, DuelLadyS.

Seriously, this thread is so full of win it makes me happy to be a part of CAG. Honestly, thank you all very much.

Edit: 45 days from May 20th (the day I bought it) would be July 4th by my counts. So I'll keep on him, but won't press the issue unless he goes AWOL again like this past week. Thanks again everyone.[/QUOTE]

Check your Ebay account, when you go to the Resolution Center, it will let you know the key dates the Ebay System needs to be notified in order for your case to be valid.

Don't trust your estimates, use their system.

While I agree with Kerig --- For a specialty item, it's not unusual for it to take time to ship/arrive. One week is an unreasonable expectation to freak out. Sure it's $350 and not $3.50 --- but calm.

bread's done
Back