Help with HDTV

croc500

CAGiversary!
Im new to HDTV, so I dont know much about them. I want to spend up to $1000.00 on a new tv, mostly for gaming with the 360. Otherwise, all I have is regular digital cable and a regular dvd player and dvd recorder. I also have a surround sound system. Please note I am wanting a 37" but would settle for a 32" if its that much better than the 37" ones that I could afford. Also, Id rather get something at a B&M. I dont feel too comfortable ordering something like that online for return and warranty purposes. So what tv would you recommend with for my purposes and why?

If you want a 37" check out the Vizio at either Sma's Club or Costco, it'll probably be the best 37" readily available for under $1000. If you'd rather go 32" you can get in on a sale including all the major brands (Toshiba, LG, Sharp, Samsung, etc.) for around $800-1000 before taxes about every week at the major retailers.

That all you want? I think you can get bigger tvs for that price.

www.tigerdirect.com

Check out that site. If you're just looking for an HDTV and not a name brand, then you'll be happy getting a good TV from there. I saw a 52 inch from Tigerdirect for 900 dollars ( it's a DLP ).

P.S, it is a Zenith, and it has " limited return oppurtnities " or something, so I have no idea if it's good.

Find a place that carries this model:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=344750&pCatg=5883

It's 37", 1080p, and costs right at $1000.00. It's from Sam's Club but online only. However, your warranty with them will let you take it to a B&M for return and service. Also, you may be able to convince a store manager to order one for you to the store so you do not have to pay for shipping.

Good Luck,

Alex

P.S. I have the 42" version of this monitor for gaming and movie purposes and it is awesome. Also it will accept 1080p signals over all HD inputs! Still need VGA cable to see 1080p movies but that's fine as you will definitely get those cables for your 360 if you don't already have them!

Is the Westinghouse that much better than the Vizio to warrant waiting for it to become in stock again and order from Sams?

One does 1080p, one doens't. 1080p is the ighest HD resolution right now, which gives you the best quality out of your shit. However, I've been looking and I can't find that westinhouse for 1000. I've seen it for 1099, but not 1000.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']One does 1080p, one doens't. 1080p is the ighest HD resolution right now, which gives you the best quality out of your shit. However, I've been looking and I can't find that westinhouse for 1000. I've seen it for 1099, but not 1000.[/quote]

This one is $1047.00.

Later,

Alex

Before buying any model make sure to read up about it on www.avsforum.com. The boards there will have lots of user feedback from people who are very anal about their home theater, giving you a good idea of the pluses and minuses of all the different models.

Also, how far back from the set do you plan on sitting? If you're more than 6 or 7 feet back from a 37 inch the difference between a 1080P and a 720P set isn't very apparent. There may be some other sets available in your price range that are 720P but have better picture quality than the cheap 1080P sets due to better black levels, less ghosting, less light leakage problems, etc.

Keep an eye on sales and deal sites like FW and Slickdeals for something in your price range, and then do some research on sets that you see, especially taking a look at it in a B&M location if possible.

[quote name='rickc25']Also, how far back from the set do you plan on sitting? If you're more than 6 or 7 feet back from a 37 inch the difference between a 1080P and a 720P set isn't very apparent.[/QUOTE]

It is theorized that 6 or 7 feet back from a 60 inch, the difference between 1080 and 720 is imperceptible.

1080p might be useful just for the increase in image quality due to progressive scan at 1080 (assuming you can find games that output progressive 1080), but the additional resolution will likely be wasted.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']That all you want? I think you can get bigger tvs for that price.

www.tigerdirect.com

Check out that site. If you're just looking for an HDTV and not a name brand, then you'll be happy getting a good TV from there. I saw a 52 inch from Tigerdirect for 900 dollars ( it's a DLP ).

P.S, it is a Zenith, and it has " limited return oppurtnities " or something, so I have no idea if it's good.[/QUOTE]

Don't deal with Tigerdirect, and don't buy a shitty TV just because it's cheap.

I bought a 34" HDTV CRT after months of research.
It's a year later and I have no complaints or regrets.
My advice: Go with a 32" and get as high quality and best name-brand you can afford. This time of year, every B&M is trying to get you to buy one for the superbowl and slash prices accordingly.

Don't buy a TV based on resolution alone. Resolution, the number of pixels, does not equal quality. Look at other features also. For example, the quality of black, yes, the color black (if you consider black a color), that is displayed by these cheap LCD televisions is absolutely abysmal and very annoying.

Wait, let me take that back, they don't display black at all. Play a game with lots of shadows or darkness or even watch a dark movie and be prepared to be very dissappointed. Anyone who says their LCD displays black is either full of shit or blind.

Other factors to look for are just overall build quality, color richness, asthetics, etc. Just be sure to try and actually see the television with content you plan on using with it before laying down the dollars.

The Westinghouse 1080p models in 37" and 42" have received many good reviews. They have built a solid reputation in terms of price and performance. The AVS forum guys like them from what I have read as do the CNET crew. Remember, these are technically MONITORS and not TVs. That means you need an HDTV tuner of some sort to watch TV on it, be it satellite or cable. They are great with the 360 and PS3.

Later,

Alex

P.S. Remember that the original list price for the LVM-42w2 was $2799.99 and has come down to #1499.99 and lower.

And here are two articles to give you confidence when it comes to buying a Westinghouse:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/lcds/506west/

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/westinghouse-LVM-42w2p1.php

They also have AWESOME customer support!

[quote name='Chacrana']Don't deal with Tigerdirect, and don't buy a shitty TV just because it's cheap.[/quote]

Well, they have some refurb samsung 42' DLP TVs there for around 700-800 dollars. I wouldn't mind if it's a refurb as long as it works. I positive that samsung is a well known good TV maker. What's wrong with Tigerdirect?

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']If you want a 37" check out the Vizio at either Sma's Club or Costco, it'll probably be the best 37" readily available for under $1000. If you'd rather go 32" you can get in on a sale including all the major brands (Toshiba, LG, Sharp, Samsung, etc.) for around $800-1000 before taxes about every week at the major retailers.[/quote]
I have the Vizio 37" LCD, and I am very happy with it! It only goes up to 1080i, but I don't have and will not have anything in the near future that will support 1080p, so I didn't really care. I reccomend it. It has 2 HDMI ports plus all the others, the refresh rate is good, so no ghosting on videogames that I have played (PS2, Wii), it's LCD so no burn in, it has a really high viewing angle. For $1000, I couldn't be happier! I don't know what Sams club was doing, but the display unit had such a crappy picture. Maybe it was playing a VHS?! I bought it anyway on the shoulder of some good reviews, and luckily they were right!

[quote name='Chacrana']Don't deal with Tigerdirect,[/quote]
Good advice! Every time I have bought a big item from Tiger, it has come broken! I hate returns, and because of that, I don't buy things from Tiger! I would never buy a TV online in general, unless I had to. To much could go wrong if you ask me...

[quote name='thebert']I have the Vizio 37" LCD, and I am very happy with it! It only goes up to 1080i, but I don't have and will not have anything in the near future that will support 1080p, so I didn't really care. I reccomend it. It has 2 HDMI ports plus all the others, the refresh rate is good, so no ghosting on videogames that I have played (PS2, Wii), it's LCD so no burn in, it has a really high viewing angle. For $1000, I couldn't be happier! I don't know what Sams club was doing, but the display unit had such a crappy picture. Maybe it was playing a VHS?! I bought it anyway on the shoulder of some good reviews, and luckily they were right!
[/QUOTE]

I know mine has it hooked up to a DVD player via standard composite cables giving it a less than stelar demo picture. That does bring up a question I have for you though... How is the standard definition picture (via A/V inputs and tuner)? Is there much noise/color bleeding, etc.?

bread's done
Back