Help with picking out some games

ThatAwesome1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I didn't use my PS3 too much in the past year or so, so right now I'm a bit behind on games and whatnot. I have no idea what to buy (as my list is kinda long), but this is everything on my list right now:

DJMAX Technika Tune (PS Vita, is around $70)
inFAMOUS 2 (just finished the first inFAMOUS and had a blast with it)
Skate 3 (Are the servers still up and do people still play online?)
Ratchet and Clank Collection (Didn't have a PS2 so I missed out on the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games)
Ratchet and Clank All 4 One
Jak and Daxter Collection
Sly Cooper Collection
God of War Saga Collection (I tried out GOWIII awhile back but didn't like it, but I want to try it again)
Rock Band Blitz (Already bought it and only have like, 10 more songs to gold star, this game kicks serious ass)
SSX

That's everything, and honestly, I'm not sure what to start off with/what games I should skip (or even add). Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gettinmoney662']Get Plus.[/QUOTE]

How much is it? I remember that I had it for about a month after PSN was put up again after the Anonymous incident and didn't use it at all (besides to download Sonic The Hedgehog).

$49.99 a year. Infamous 2 and Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One are in the IGC so you get those two and nine other PS3 games and six PSP/Vita games.

Oh wow, I'll definitely have to look into PS+ then because of the free games and the discounts on games. Do you guys have any opinions about the other games on my list that I wouldn't be able to get for a cheaper price with PS+ (Skate, DJMAX (I know it's on PSN but my Vita's memory card doesn't have 3 GB of free space), etc.)?

[quote name='ThatAwesome1']I didn't use my PS3 too much in the past year or so, so right now I'm a bit behind on games and whatnot. I have no idea what to buy (as my list is kinda long), but this is everything on my list right now:

DJMAX Technika Tune (PS Vita, is around $70)
inFAMOUS 2 (just finished the first inFAMOUS and had a blast with it)
Skate 3 (Are the servers still up and do people still play online?)
Ratchet and Clank Collection (Didn't have a PS2 so I missed out on the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games)
Ratchet and Clank All 4 One
Jak and Daxter Collection
Sly Cooper Collection
God of War Saga Collection (I tried out GOWIII awhile back but didn't like it, but I want to try it again)
Rock Band Blitz
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
SSX

That's everything, and honestly, I'm not sure what to start off with/what games I should skip (or even add). Any advice?[/QUOTE]

If you liked inFamous, you'll like inFamous 2. You might consider the collection if you can find a good price on it, as Festival of Blood is a fun side story, and I believe it comes with some skins and powers as well.

If you missed out on the Ratchet and Clank games, there are a few things to keep in mind. While it's a great series, it is one that definitely evolved over time, so if you start up the first game and feel it's a little simplistic or dated, maybe skip ahead to another one. Also keep in mind that All 4 One is a co-op based game, and plays differently, so don't let it sway you too much from the core series.

The Sly Collection is, well, Sly Cooper. If you haven't played the games before, look up some gameplay to see if it looks like your kind of game. The new one is great too, and is cross-buy with Vita if you get the PS3 copy.

If you didn't like GoW3 when you tried it, I wouldn't get the collection unless you can find a good sale on it. I love the GoW series, but the gameplay doesn't change a whole lot between games, so if you hate one you'll probably hate them all. Maybe try the GoW3 demo if it's still up to gauge your interest. That said, the Saga collection comes with 5 damn games, so if you even enjoy them a little, it's a hell of a deal.

Rock Band Blitz is basically a Rock Band take on Frequency/Amplitude. If you've never played those, watch some videos of Blitz and you should get an idea of what to expect. The fact that Rock Band dlc tracks work in Blitz, as well as the tracks that come with Blitz working in Rock Band, is a nice feature.

It's hard not to recommend PS+ unless you're the type who buys a ton of stuff on PS3/PSN and will then be disappointed when you already own the games they add. Cloud saves and auto updating are really nice features, and they have some great sales sometimes.

I'd pick up all of the collections. I've played all those games in one form or another and they are all great and only better in the hd verison.

games for plus

http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/

Leaving PS Plus In April

April 9th – Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
April 16th – Anomaly: Warzone Earth
April 23rd – Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
April 30th – Disgaea 3 Absence of Detention

Entering PS Plus in April (in no particular order)
  • Malicious (PS3)
  • Labyrinth Legends (PS3)
  • SOULCALIBUR: Broken Destiny (PSP, Supported on PS Vita)
  • Zombie Tycoon 2 (PS3 and PS Vita – Cross-Buy)

[quote name='KrebStar']If you liked inFamous, you'll like inFamous 2. You might consider the collection if you can find a good price on it, as Festival of Blood is a fun side story, and I believe it comes with some skins and powers as well.

If you missed out on the Ratchet and Clank games, there are a few things to keep in mind. While it's a great series, it is one that definitely evolved over time, so if you start up the first game and feel it's a little simplistic or dated, maybe skip ahead to another one. Also keep in mind that All 4 One is a co-op based game, and plays differently, so don't let it sway you too much from the core series.

The Sly Collection is, well, Sly Cooper. If you haven't played the games before, look up some gameplay to see if it looks like your kind of game. The new one is great too, and is cross-buy with Vita if you get the PS3 copy.

If you didn't like GoW3 when you tried it, I wouldn't get the collection unless you can find a good sale on it. I love the GoW series, but the gameplay doesn't change a whole lot between games, so if you hate one you'll probably hate them all. Maybe try the GoW3 demo if it's still up to gauge your interest. That said, the Saga collection comes with 5 damn games, so if you even enjoy them a little, it's a hell of a deal.

Rock Band Blitz is basically a Rock Band take on Frequency/Amplitude. If you've never played those, watch some videos of Blitz and you should get an idea of what to expect. The fact that Rock Band dlc tracks work in Blitz, as well as the tracks that come with Blitz working in Rock Band, is a nice feature.

It's hard not to recommend PS+ unless you're the type who buys a ton of stuff on PS3/PSN and will then be disappointed when you already own the games they add. Cloud saves and auto updating are really nice features, and they have some great sales sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Oh whoa, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The inFAMOUS collection comes with Festival of Blood? I was planning on just getting inFAMOUS 2 and then buying Festival of Blood separately, but if it comes with the bundle I'll be getting that, then.

It's been awhile since I've played Ratchet and Clank (I've only finished A Crack In Time but have played a bit of Tools of Destruction) so I probably won't notice the more-basic gameplay. And I'm thinking about picking up All 4 One as well because it's a co-op game that I could play with some friends, but I've heard mixed reviews about it.

I've seen a video or two of Sly and it looks pretty good. I've also had a few people tell me that it's a great series and should definitely not slide by anyone who owns a PS2/PS3.

I believe that right now the GoW saga is around $30-$35 on Amazon right now which I think is a great price for 5 games as well. All the talk about GoW: Ascension has made me want to try a God of War game again.

As for Rock Band: Blitz, I had the Unplugged version for PSP and loved it. Blitz looks a lot easier, though, as you only have to worry about 2 notes this time around for each instrument. Is it challenging/fun?

I'm looking into PS+ but the games that are in the IGC this month don't really interest me. Online storage is a great feature, but I don't know if I could justify paying a subscription just for that. I'll keep an eye on it and buy a subscription when I see some more interesting games out in the IGC.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Amazon, the inFamous collection includes

inFAMOUS
inFAMOUS 2
inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood
Extra missions
Additional character costumes, power ups and weapon styles

The extra missions are nothing special, since they're likely just made using the in-game mission editor, but there are some pretty cool costumes available.

I played through all of One 4 All with one other friend, and we had a good time. I didn't enjoy it as much as the other PS3 Ratchet games, but it's not a bad game by any means.

Blitz is more about building your score than it is hitting every note, so although there are only 2 notes per track, working powerups and bonuses into your game adds some complexity that helps to balance it out. There is no failing songs in Blitz, in fact you can play an entire song without hitting a single note, but you'll come it at zero stars and dead last on the scoreboard. Blitz is one of my most played PSN games, because when I've got a little spare time or want a break from the bigger games, I go in and gold star a new song or improve my score on some old ones.

[quote name='KrebStar']According to Amazon, the inFamous collection includes

inFAMOUS
inFAMOUS 2
inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood
Extra missions
Additional character costumes, power ups and weapon styles

The extra missions are nothing special, since they're likely just made using the in-game mission editor, but there are some pretty cool costumes available.

I played through all of One 4 All with one other friend, and we had a good time. I didn't enjoy it as much as the other PS3 Ratchet games, but it's not a bad game by any means.

Blitz is more about building your score than it is hitting every note, so although there are only 2 notes per track, working powerups and bonuses into your game adds some complexity that helps to balance it out. There is no failing songs in Blitz, in fact you can play an entire song without hitting a single note, but you'll come it at zero stars and dead last on the scoreboard. Blitz is one of my most played PSN games, because when I've got a little spare time or want a break from the bigger games, I go in and gold star a new song or improve my score on some old ones.[/QUOTE]

I'll definitely be getting the inFAMOUS collection then instead of just inFAMOUS 2, thank you guys for letting me know!

How long was the story on All 4 One, and how is the game's single player?

It is? Oh wow, that's a bit different, it reminds me of Rocksmith in a way since there's no way to fail a song in that game eihter. I've seen a few videos and the game itself looks great but the two notes turned me off, but thanks for telling me how it is. I'll be sure to get it whenever I get a PSN card, which should hopefully be in a week or so.

+1 for getting plus as well. It is a must have. Some people complain that EU gets better things but overall it is still worth 49.99 per year.

[quote name='ThatAwesome1']

[/QUOTE]

the story for all 4 one was pretty meh and I don't remember being very long? 7-8 hours probably, playing single player was beyond boring but once you had at least one person playing with you it was pretty enjoyable.

[quote name='ThatAwesome1']I'll definitely be getting the inFAMOUS collection then instead of just inFAMOUS 2, thank you guys for letting me know!

It is? Oh wow, that's a bit different, it reminds me of Rocksmith in a way since there's no way to fail a song in that game eihter. I've seen a few videos and the game itself looks great but the two notes turned me off, but thanks for telling me how it is. I'll be sure to get it whenever I get a PSN card, which should hopefully be in a week or so.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember how long it was, but what thefurrypanda said sounds about right.

As a huge fan of Frequency/Amplitude/Rock Band Unplugged, I was a little disappointed in the change to 2 notes and a focus on score building over accuracy, but the game definitely scratches that itch I had for a music game not based on plastic instruments. I believe there's a demo on PSN, so it can't hurt to try it out.

[quote name='KrebStar']I don't remember how long it was, but what thefurrypanda said sounds about right.

As a huge fan of Frequency/Amplitude/Rock Band Unplugged, I was a little disappointed in the change to 2 notes and a focus on score building over accuracy, but the game definitely scratches that itch I had for a music game not based on plastic instruments. I believe there's a demo on PSN, so it can't hurt to try it out.[/QUOTE]

There's a demo? Sweet, didn't think they would put one up for their game, I"ll get on it and download it later today. Hopefully it'll give you a few songs to choose from, just like the Rock Band Unplugged demo.

bread's done
Back