Help with Reloading Xp Home.

jakehoss

CAGiversary!
Hey cags, any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I need to delete everything from my hard drive and reinstall XP home. I want my pc to be like new again. So i tryed just putting the xp disk in the tray and hitting the reinstall button however upon completion i realized this had not deleted any of the stuff from my hard drive. all of my programs, old pics, windows profiles etc. were still there.

So my question is, whats the best way to wipe my hard drive clean and install windows xp home like the hard drive was brand new.

Thanks in advance.

you need to format your hard drive. When you put in the xp home disk and boot your computer, windows will come to a screen that shows your existing partitions, you need to delete the existing partition (C drive) and create a new one. Currently, you are essentially just reinstalling it.

Your other option is to boot to a c:> prompt and type format c:, then boot up with the XP home disk. (to get to a c:>, hold down F8 while booting up the pc, it should give options for windows xp, safe mode, c: prompt, etc.)

[quote name='h2dk']you need to format your hard drive. When you put in the xp home disk and boot your computer, windows will come to a screen that shows your existing partitions, you need to delete the existing partition (C drive) and create a new one. [/QUOTE]
How do i get to this screen, because simply booting the pc up with the disk in the drive starts windows normally? Thanks so much for the help.

go into your bios and make sure you are booting to the CD and not the hard drive (boot PC and press F2 or DEL (varies) for setup, there will be an option that shows what your PC will boot from. Put CD 1st)

Got it. solid. thanks man .

HAil to The King !
The_Suicide_King_by_suetlilanglz.jpg

bread's done
Back