Help with router/ modem buying advice

BronsonsArmor

CAGiversary!
Hey guys I was hoping to get some advice on which way I should go when it comes to purchasing a modem.

I'm going to order internet service through comcast and I was planning on purchasing my own modem to avoid their lease fee of $8 a month. Originally I planned on buying this modem http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cable-modem/4728707.p?id=1218516238574&skuId=4728707&st=netgear%20modem&cp=1&lp=2

because on the box it says it is a comcast compatible modem. Then i was going to purchase a wireless router separately. 

Then I also noticed that there are modem/router combos. Such as this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/docsis-3-0-cable-modem-with-built-in-wireless-n-router/8614266.p?id=1218879457739&skuId=8614266&st=zoom%20modem%20router&cp=1&lp=1

So my question is what would provide the best speeds/efficiency? Would the combo be a better choice then buying two separate pieces of equipment. Or would a dedicated modem and a dedicated wireless router provide stronger signals?? I would appreciate any advice you guys can give me on the subject! thank you.

I find it better to have two seperate, since if one goes out you just replace that one instead of having to purchase another combo. You can also update the router in the future if you need a better one.

For the cable modem, going off of the Comcast list, I'd strongly recommend the Motorola SB6141.  It's DOCSIS 3.0, so it'll handle whatever speeds Comcast is currently offering, plus it's 8 downstream channel bonded, so it should handle speeds up to 300Mbps downstream for future speed increases.  Get the white one versus the black one, since the white model is a newer revision.

Next best option would be the Motorola SB6121, though it's only 4 downstream channel bonded, so would only handle up to 150Mbps.    There's about a $20 difference between the SB6121 and the SB6141, so it's worth the extra money to future proof yourself.

For a router, I can't say enough good things about the ASUS RT-N66U/R.  It's a great solid router, fast, handles 802.11N wireless up to 450Mbps and has third-party firmware that can further enhance the usability of the router.  Retails between $100-$120 new, depending if you catch it on sale or not.

bread's done
Back