help with wireless connection

menewbe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
105 (100%)
hi all..ok so heres my problem. i used to leech off my computer lab's wireless connection but i recently found out that someone else in the barracks is broadcasting that same ssid as the lab (ssid: linksys) the lab's router is in 'b' while this guys using 'g'.. is their a way i can make my computer tell that theyre different and only connect to the 'b' signal? is theyre a way to block the mac address of the g router? thanks.

oh im using win xp with an intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 internal card

There should be a way for your computer to have a preferred network - you should be able to tell it to always connect to a specific network versus another.

I think if you go into Control Panel - Network Connections and right click on the wireless device, then go into the Wireless Networks tab, you should have a place for preferred networks. Then there should be options in there to say "prefer this one, always connect to it first, etc" or something like that. I can't check right now but I'll look when I get home.

I don't think you can block mac addresses, or at least I can't think of a way to do it through Windows. Your wireless card itself might have a program that it installs that would allow you to set something like that more specifically, so check on that also.

thanks for the replies.. i already tried what strell suggested but it cant tell the difference between the signals with the same ssid..i would ask the guy if he could change his ssid but i dont know what room hes in or his work hours so im out of luck there too..

bread's done
Back