Help with Wireless Controllers

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
261 (100%)
After playing with Nintendo's Wavebird I realize I need wireless controls for my other systems. What is the best PS2 wirless controller?

Also were there any wireless controllers for the N64 or the Sega Dreamcast?

Also did anyone ever have these for their genesis?
43_1.JPG

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The best wireless controllers for both the PS2 and SBox are by Logitech. They are expensive, but worth every penny. I've tried every brand and they all suck except the Logitech line. I didn't want to spend the cash on the Logitech controllers, but in the end, I spent much more going thru the other brands. I have never experienced ANY problems with these controllers for either system. The others all lose reception constantly, and usually at the worst possible times. Do yourself a favor and spend the money to get these puppies.

I can vow for the playstation one,playstation 2 and the nintendo 64 wireless handles all being one in the same..CRAP! However the wavebird wireless for nintendo gamcube is great..The kids can even go in another room of the house and press the buttons and it will still *read* the handles signals..It's Great..finally a wireless that does what it should!

Ok, I'll give you an example of how good the reception of the Logitech controllers are. There's an LED on the controllers that blinks when the battery power is getting low. I'm ususally into the game I'm playing at the time, so I miss this warning. When my character stops moving, I know its time to toss in another set of rechargables. I leave my game room and go to my kitchen on the other side of the house. I replace the batteries and press any button to turn the controller on. I hear the action in my game resume. Yes, I play my games kinda loud on a surround system, lol. Anyway, that's the kind of performance you can expect from these babies. They totally rock, execpt for the price tag. Oh, and I totally agree with you all on the Wavebirds. They are also equally outstanding and reasonably price. If only Nintendo made them for the other systems.

Don't waste your hard earned money like I did experimenting with other wireless controllers for either the XBox or PS2. Spend your money wisely and get the Logitech line. You won't regret it.

[quote name='hohndog']The best wireless controllers for both the PS2 and SBox are by Logitech. They are expensive, but worth every penny. I've tried every brand and they all suck except the Logitech line. I didn't want to spend the cash on the Logitech controllers, but in the end, I spent much more going thru the other brands. I have never experienced ANY problems with these controllers for either system. The others all lose reception constantly, and usually at the worst possible times. Do yourself a favor and spend the money to get these puppies.[/quote]

hohndog,
I figured that the Logitech one was the way to go. Thanks for all the help. Just wondering...did you try the hip gear one for PS2 when going through all the choices? In the Official Playstation mag it said it was pretty good.

YoshiFan,

Do you know if those Doc controllers are any good?

Thanks guys.

I'm really not sure. I never used them and don't know anything about them. The only reason I know they exist is a few years ago I saw them on BestPrices.com (I don't think they still have them on the site). I was going to get them but since around spring 2000 when I got Excitebike 64, I haven't really used my N64 except on car trips so I didn't think it was worth getting since I would never use them.

Here's an auction with a picture if you want to see what they look like
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3090162697

edit - 500th post 8)

I have a set of those wireless controllers for N64. Extremely craptastic if you ask me. The buttons are all kind of loose and clicky and simply don't feel right. The control stick is also really loose and you have to move it quite a bit before anything registers.

I would recommend sticking with good ol' first party wired N64 controllers.

I forgot about the Air Style. I think it was PSM who said it was an excellent controller and some people on IGN's PS2 board ordered it and said it was great and resembeled a Sony Brand controller

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I'm really not sure. I never used them and don't know anything about them. The only reason I know they exist is a few years ago I saw them on BestPrices.com (I don't think they still have them on the site). I was going to get them but since around spring 2000 when I got Excitebike 64, I haven't really used my N64 except on car trips so I didn't think it was worth getting since I would never use them.

Here's an auction with a picture if you want to see what they look like
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3090162697

edit - 500th post 8)[/quote]

i was really excited when those controllers came out for n64, but never got them since they were so expensive. i do believe these controllers function on infrared and not radio frequencies like the wavebird or logitech controllers. Meaning, you need to aim the controllers at the sensor in order to get them to function.
on another note, i have a wavebird and a madcatz lynx controller for xbox. the wavebird is simply the best controller i have ever used. the only downside is with fps or shooters in general, which are not huge on gamecube, but still the layout isnt great for games like metal arms. this is true of all gamecube controllers though. otherwise it is flawless. the madcatz controller is also very good, but has some flaws. it uses battery life much faster than the wavebird(about 4-5x as fast) and requires 3 batteries. also, it does not have an off switch and supposed to have an auto shut off, but that does not work very well, so i tend to turn one battery upside down, and it is a slight inconvienence, but nothing major. the controller functions extremely well and i never have a response problem, unless the batteries are dying. it is about the size of the original xbox controller, with the same layout, but i like it much better because of a slight form factor improvement and great grips. i highly recommend the wavebird with a 9.5/10 rating and the madcatz an 8/10.
one other thing to think about is using a converter to use a controller from one system on another. i believe there is a converter for dreamcast for a ps2 controller. i don't know if this will work, but it is something to think about.

For the PS2 I use the AirStyle & love it. I like the feel of the Sony DS2, and the fact that the AirStyle feels almost exactly like it makes this the wireless controller for me.

I highly recommend rechargable batteries though. My AirStyle goes through them quick.

Controls all work perfect, I've not experienced any lag unless the batteries were drained.

How much does the airstyle retail for? I know the logitech one is around $60. I will also take the advice for the n64 controller. I have to look into that dreamcast converter. Maybe one controller can knock off two systems. That would be sweet.

I bought my airstyle from Lik-Sang for $40, plus about $10 for shipping (I went for the cheapest, global priority). It took about 3 days for them to ship it, and I got it about a week after they did (I'm in DC).

I continue to be very pleased with this controller, partly b/c I watch a number of DVD's & use it as a wireless DVD remote as well.

Yeah maybe I will wait for that one...seems as though there not available just yet. Hmm.... choices choices. Logitech or Airstyle. I do like the fact that the Airstyle feels like a PS2 controller though.

I do like the fact that the new logitech controller has this though. Makes me think it will plug in like the wavebird does.

- Mini receiver plugs directly into console

I don't know anything about the wavebird... what do you mean with the "mini receiver?"

I mean, how is that different from the reciever that any wireless controller has, which plugs into the game port? The airstyle is my first wireless controller, hence my confusion.

I have the Logitech XBox and PS2 wireless controllers. They perform really well, but the D-pads totally suck. The design of the D-Pad is totally different between the PS2 and XBox model, but they both are horrible.

They (Logitech) are about to release new versions of their wireless controllers for the XBox and PS2. They are going to be $10 cheaper than their current models and it appears that they may have addressed the D-Pad issue. Check out the links below.

XBox
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=1591,CONTENTID=8182
PS2
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=1917,CONTENTID=8157

I plan to pick up one of each when they come out. It might be worth waiting to see how these fair.

[quote name='aminerva']I don't know anything about the wavebird... what do you mean with the "mini receiver?"

I mean, how is that different from the reciever that any wireless controller has, which plugs into the game port? The airstyle is my first wireless controller, hence my confusion.[/quote]

Well the wavebird has one that is close to the airstyle actually. The logitech one has a cable with a reciever at the end of it.

Oh, interesting. I'd be curious to see how those new logitech work out, b/c unless the airstyle which is on (I think) the 900Mhz frequency, those use the 2.4Ghz which is supposed to be better.

I've not had any interference on my AirStyle, but it's probably more likely with the Airstyle than the logictech.

Still, it would be hard for me to give up the shape of the AirStlye, as it matches the DS2 so well.

bread's done
Back