Help

ya for shure if not my buddy who lives down the street can help me he is a computer geinus so can you tell me everything i need becides a cover because i know i need that

i found something online that says i need the following:
processor,case,power supply,memmory,video cards,sound cards,storage and devices,network cards,and a cooling system.....i want to know is that everything or do i need anything els

You dont need a case, but it helps to avoid electrocution.

"EDIT" you can always make one out of legos. "EDIT"

Network cards aren't "required" but they are pretty much a nesscesity in this growing world of Computing-based foodstamps.......

Ok... it definitely doesn't sound like you know very much about what you want or what you need. For people like you, I recommend a Dell.

You can't just wake up and decide to build a computer... it'll take some research. I recommend this site: www.google.com. First, read up on what you need and how shit works. If you want advice on hardware, then you come here.

[quote name='jeremyuelsmann']i found something online that says i need the following:
processor,case,power supply,memmory,video cards,sound cards,storage and devices,network cards,and a cooling system.....i want to know is that everything or do i need anything els[/quote]

Why not get your friend to do it all for you. He can recommend everything a build it too. I mean what is the point of asking for help if you don't even know the question. Sure you know the parts but do you know what they do?

Either buy a prebuilt computer, take some time to read up on it or just ask your friend.

well i did exactly what u said i asked him what everything does and where it goes and he made everything soooo clear and i showed him the thing i found to show me what parts i need and he also said a CD/DVD Rom Drive so he made everything clear and i know i can build a computer so and the past couple of days i have done some reserch and i know my stuff (kinda).... and my friend wont do it all for me he will help me but he wont do it all for me so i have a question.... my friend said that it is a bad idea to get a m/b with a processer is that true or is that a good idea thanks alot

[quote name='jeremyuelsmann']my friend said that it is a bad idea to get a m/b with a processer is that true or is that a good idea thanks alot[/quote]
What? Motherboards with processors? Do you mean bought together? Or what? Could you clarify a bit?

i was looking at motherboards and it said "features:intel pentium 4 processer..."so if you buy the motherboard then you get a processer with it

ok so shouldi get a computer that is built all ready or should i build one i really want to build one because its is way cheaper so what should i do???

[quote name='jeremyuelsmann']i was looking at motherboards and it said "features:intel pentium 4 processer..."so if you buy the motherboard then you get a processer with it[/quote]
No, that just means you can use an Intel P4, and even so there are several types of P4s so you have to know which your motherboard will support.

[quote name='jeremyuelsmann']
ok so shouldi get a computer that is built all ready or should i build one i really want to build one because its is way cheaper so what should i do???[/quote]
Buy built. You don't sound like you know enough about what you are doing yet. Also, it is not that much cheaper, especially when you factor in buying Windows and other things. Unless you are going all out that is. When buying a basic computer it is cheaper to buy prebuilt but when making a high end machine it is better to build yourself. You seem somewhere in the middle and with with your lack of knowledge on the subject I suggest you buy prebuilt for now.
[quote name='Strell']
www.dell.com

Please, for the love of god and tech support, click on that link.
[/quote]

Yes, please do.

http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm
This site is like building your own PC, but you know it will work when it shows up on your door step. Also Ibuypower is reasonably priced.

Ok now that I got that out of the way if you really want to build your own system go to newegg.com

here is some recomendations for a cheap gaming pc.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...hListNumber=3000852&WishListTitle=cheapassrig

here is a rig I built for you, you can change out a few things like if you want to spend more and get 939 processor and motherboard or a dif video card or case.

[quote name='spoo']
here is a rig I built for you, you can change out a few things like if you want to spend more and get 939 processor and motherboard or a dif video card or case.[/quote]

If he is gonna build a computer then I would also suggest the 939. I would not get the 754. Also with a Micro-ATX motherboard things get to get very cramped, I personally regret buying one. I would also suggest someting more meaty for a video card, I think the 7800 GT would serve better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125214

$170 more but well worth it.

[quote name='markholladay']I noticed that the total for your cheapassrig is $666. Are you trying to pull a fast one their buddy? Dont buy satanic computers.[/QUOTE]
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

$666.06 :lol:

Here's the basic deal Jeremy. Building a PC is not a very complex process. You don't NEED a lot of things. For example, you can buy a mobo that integrates sound, a case with a PSU (power supply) already attached, a mobo with a processor included (not recommended b/c its usually the crappy processors taht gets bundled). I would also recommend AMD processors over Intel ones. Anything over X2 3800+ will suit a gamer just fine. Configuring the BIOS might be a tad difficult if u dont' know what ur doing but it should be fairly streamlined. However, if you've never really opened ur case and done anything, I would recommend a pre-built computer. Here's what you really need and the optional:

Need:
Motherboard (Needs to support SATA)
Case (pay attention to whether its ATX or BTX case b4 buying a mobo)
PSU (preferably included with the case)
Processor (AMD>Intel)
Ram (1GB+)
Hard Drive (160GB +)
Optical Drive (recommended DVD+/-RW DL AND DVD-Rom/CDRW for a second drive)
Operating System (Windows XP or Linux)

Optional
Second Optical Drive
Second Hard Drive
Sound Card
Video Card
Floppy Drive/memory card reader
Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse

I think that's it, let me know if i forget something.

[quote name='greenbags125']

Need:
Motherboard (Needs to support SATA)
Case (pay attention to whether its ATX or BTX case b4 buying a mobo)
PSU (preferably included with the case)
Processor (AMD>Intel)
Ram (1GB+)
Hard Drive (160GB +)
Optical Drive (recommended DVD+/-RW DL AND DVD-Rom/CDRW for a second drive)
Operating System (Windows XP or Linux)

Optional
Second Optical Drive
Second Hard Drive
Sound Card
Video Card
Floppy Drive/memory card reader
Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse
[/quote]

I disagree on several things here. First, when a case has a PSU included chances are that the PSU sucks. Of course that is not always the case but it often is. Second, SATA is not a requirement he can easily stay with IDE for a good long while and anyway the benefits of SATA are not that good and SATA HDs tend to cost more. Third, his only option is Windows as he is trying to make a gaming PC. This brings me to my fourth point, a video card would not be optional in his situation seeing as he is trying make a gaming computer.

I'd say SATA is a requirement. There's no reason to buy ATA anymore, because the price difference is usually either nominal or nonexistent. Besides potential performance increases, you don't have any fat IDE cables snaking around your system inhibiting airflow. Plus, they’re just easier to deal with. Most importantly, the only hard drives a gamer should buy are almost serial-only. I'm talking about 16MB of cache (maybe a $10 premium?), or Raptors if you're rich. It's sort of irrelevant though, because you're not going to find a decent mobo for gaming that doesn't have a three-year-old standard.

[quote name='dtarasev']I disagree on several things here. First, when a case has a PSU included chances are that the PSU sucks. Of course that is not always the case but it often is. Second, SATA is not a requirement he can easily stay with IDE for a good long while and anyway the benefits of SATA are not that good and SATA HDs tend to cost more. Third, his only option is Windows as he is trying to make a gaming PC. This brings me to my fourth point, a video card would not be optional in his situation seeing as he is trying make a gaming computer.[/QUOTE]

I only agree with some of your points here.

1. Most brand name casemakers include decent PSUs. However, I should've mentioned that he should stick with Thermaltake or Antec or other similar brands.

2. Find me a decent mobo that doesn't support SATA which has the requirements for a gamer PC and I will retract my point.

3. Agreed, I momentarily forgot he was trying to build a gamer PC.

4. I have a P4 3.0GHz processor and the integrated graphics could run games like Half Life 2. So its recommended but not required with the exception of the more recent games.

"Help" -> that is the best title you are able to come up with?!
You gotta be kidding me.

I would also recommend that you buy a dell (or what brand you like). Building a pc is not hard. BUT if it stops functioning, guess who is going to fix it?

[quote name='greenbags125']I only agree with some of your points here.

1. Most brand name casemakers include decent PSUs. However, I should've mentioned that he should stick with Thermaltake or Antec or other similar brands.

2. Find me a decent mobo that doesn't support SATA which has the requirements for a gamer PC and I will retract my point.

3. Agreed, I momentarily forgot he was trying to build a gamer PC.

4. I have a P4 3.0GHz processor and the integrated graphics could run games like Half Life 2. So its recommended but not required with the exception of the more recent games.[/QUOTE]

Integrated Graphics for a gaming PC?! You do realize it is not April 1st, right?

wow that helps alot i dont want to get a dell because there so expensive i need something for like $400 (i am really tight on money) i allready went to ibuwpower and the cheapest one i could make was just under $500 which i could still get but i really want something less expensive i really like the websites that you can pick your parts and they build it for you and some of you guys are so harsh ""Help" -> that is the best title you are able to come up with?!
You gotta be kidding me." like that i dont really care i just wanted some simple help and i got it thanks guys keep the info comeing

[quote name='wbc1228']Integrated Graphics for a gaming PC?! You do realize it is not April 1st, right?[/QUOTE]

The new Intel chips have decent integrated graphics. While not ideal, it allows Jeremy to save some money now for later because his specified $400 won't get him too much, esp to qualify for a gaming PC. The processor will probably cost $300 of that $400 at best. Ram will run you another $80 or so for 1GB, $40 for 512MB. The case w/ decent PSU will run another $60-$100. Motherboards vary greatly in price but the ones i liked were around $100, a bit less if ur not picky. Don't forget the hard drive and teh optical drive which cost $80 (around there, if u find a good deal, you get more GB) and $50 respectively. I would at least double that budget or get a budget PC.

[quote name='jeremyuelsmann']i found a computer for $400 the link is below
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BW6ZY/sr=1-13/qid=1144631781/ref=sr_1_13/002-8165112-9012025?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=pc

tell me if that is a good computer im not trying to get to crazy with this i just want something and i can use any monitor with any computer right?[/QUOTE]

"Barebone" means it won't have all the needed components. It might have a power supply, a motherboard, and some ram MAYBE. I didn't look at the computer itself, but the point is that you wouldn't be getting a whole machine, and you'd have to buy components yourself and install them.

So, brings me back to my original suggestion, which is buy a Dell. That way you are assured it has everything. You can customize a machine with decent specs for probably 800-1200. Plus they have deals all the time with insane discounts.

And yes, you can use any machine with any monitor so long as you can connect it. In other words, if your video card has VGA out and your monitor can do VGA, it's fine. They aren't brand specific.

the sells are to expensive i mean ya im sure there good but there to much and i am going to buil a computer because i belive i did enough reserch that i can and like i said if i dont think i can then ill ask my buddy to help me with it

[quote name='jeremyuelsmann']the sells are to expensive i mean ya im sure there good but there to much and i am going to buil a computer because i belive i did enough reserch that i can and like i said if i dont think i can then ill ask my buddy to help me with it[/QUOTE]

You didn't, he won't be able to help enough, please buy a computer from Dell or someone.

You didn't even know what "barebones" meant.

[quote name='Strell']You didn't, he won't be able to help enough, please buy a computer from Dell or someone.

You didn't even know what "barebones" meant.[/quote]
This man speaks the truth. But please, keep us posted with updates if you do decide to build your own as I am an evil bastard that enjoys the comical struggles of others.

[quote name='Genocidal']This man speaks the truth. But please, keep us posted with updates if you do decide to build your own as I am an evil bastard that enjoys the comical struggles of others.[/QUOTE]

Seriously though, before you purchase anything, post it (url for online items, description for offline) and we'll let you know if the components are worth it, if they are all compatible, and if there's something better for cheap. I can guarantee $400 isn't gonna be enough so you need to expand your budget.

[quote name='jeremyuelsmann']wow that helps alot i dont want to get a dell because there so expensive i need something for like $400 (i am really tight on money) i allready went to ibuwpower and the cheapest one i could make was just under $500 which i could still get but i really want something less expensive i really like the websites that you can pick your parts and they build it for you and some of you guys are so harsh ""Help" -> that is the best title you are able to come up with?!
You gotta be kidding me." like that i dont really care i just wanted some simple help and i got it thanks guys keep the info comeing[/QUOTE]

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...stNumber=3005014&WishListTitle=jeremyuelsmann

This is as cheap as I can find to build you one making it a gaming pc (in the future.)
o
You will need to add a video card down the line, bigger better PSU, 2nd HDD.... dude watch the compusa, ofice depot and best buy adds and buy an ugghh emachine if you want something @ $400. You will get a better deal.

You will end up spending more money in the long run if you build a PC for under $400. You will have to update it as soon as you put it together.

Rule #1 you build a PC to get the parts you want it is not cheaper (or much cheaper) in most cases.

spend the money on a god damn english course instead of a computer, christ... Am I the only one that is pained when reading your posts?

[quote name='BasketCase1080']spend the money on a god damn english course instead of a computer, christ... Am I the only one that is pained when reading your posts?[/QUOTE]

He doesn't need an english course, he needs a "Mechanics of Writing" course.

To the OP I have some parts that might interest you. I have a p4p800 deluxe mobo with a pentium 4 3ghz processor, the heatsink on it is a copper heatpiped one which alone sold for 60 bucks. Also I could give you 2 512mb sticks of kingston hypermax ram which are great for gaming. Looking for around 350 shipped for it all.

I've been building my own PC's for years now, but a friend pointed this out to me and it seems like a relatively fair price for what you get. Strong processor, enough RAM, nice SATA HD and Media Center Edition is nice especially if you have a xbox360. Video card is lacking but has a decent amount of VRAM on it.

It's probably a better value than you'd get from Dell, and the componts are good. If there isn't an option of ever building your own, this would be my suggestion.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-P...47182/catOid/-12962/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

bread's done
Back