Here's a bit of info about how Game Rush conducts business...

Archaic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
'Tis the season for the best deals from the best friend CAG has ever had: GameRush, the gaming division of Blockbuster Video. Since GameRush currently has such hot deals going on, and since I have already exploited the crap out of them, I thought I'd give those of you newer to CAG'ing (and I admit that many of you are quite good; this is for the newbs) a quick round up of GameRush tendencies, and how best to exploit them. For the record, I am the proud owner of 37 Xbox and PS2 titles (including recent winners such as GTA:SA, Halo 2, X-Men Legends, Full Spectrum Warrior, Burnout 3, Ghost Recon 2, Dead of Alive Ultimate, etc.) Most of them I have gotten through GameRush, and at very little cash cost to me.

First, a bit on the best deal in town (I'm in DFW by the way, where Blockbuster is based). If you trade in any 3 used titles, you can get one of their used titles for 9.99, in addition to the credit that would ordinarily be gained from your trade-ins in the first place. Usually this will net you a solid title for about 5.00, depending on which trade-ins you buy (I recommend non-sports PS2 titles, available at your local Gamestop or online...my reasoning is below.)

Whether Game Rush knows it or not (and I'm sure they do), they have created an infinite credit loop with this deal. :shock: All one needs is a small initial investment, several nearby locations, and some spare time. Here's how it works.

1. Buy 10 cheapies for trade in ($40-ish if you're lucky). Use 6 of them to trade for 2 of GameRush's high dollar ($45) games. You can see which ones are the most valuable to GameRush by checking their board near the front of the store. Make sure your titles will net you $35 from them when you trade them in (currently these are Fable, Halo 2, GTA, Star Wars: Battleground, MK: Deception; of these, MK, Fable, and StarWars are easy to find...) This will leave you with 4 of your crappy games left and 2 new ones.

2. Take your 6 new, expensive games to another Blockbuster locations immediately, and trade them, using the exact same 3=1 for $9.99 deal. You'll get the credit, as well as two new games, which you may either sell at another location (earning you about $120 total off of your initial $40-ish) or use them + some other crappy games to keep the process going elsewhere.

3. Repeat until you are thoroughly ashamed of yourself and hated by Blockbuster employees in your community. Or you may simply play your 2 or so new games and be happy, mission accomplished.

Okay, now for info that maybe not all CAG'ers know...How long can one get away with this?

A long time. Here are the limits of Game Rush's ability to stop you...

1. At any given store, they will have no record on your account of your purchases/trades from another store. As far as each Game Rush manager knows, the first time he sees you is the first time you've traded ever. I've learned this through trial and error, and there is one exception...

2. If you make enough of an ass of yourself to be considered a "dealer" as opposed to a customer, the store that you annoyed can make a manual addition to your account (like a note which says: "Beware: Dealer", which will show you for what you are at (as far as I know) every Blockbuster where you use your membership (and yes, you must use your membership in trades, but NOT in purchases, though they'd like you to...). This happened to me last summer, but after 3 months of reduced activity, the message disappeared (or was manually removed; I don't know).

3. As of 11-23-04, many of my Blockbusters started excercising the "Manager's Option" to disallow sports titles and even PSOne titles from trades. This happened so suddenly, vehemently, and consistently that I believe it was a corporate "Okay" for them to do so. Likely managers complained and Corporate listened, but it was too late to take back the deal, so this is their compromise. The workarounds? A) Don't trade sports titles. GTA3, Metal Gear 2, Fantavision, etc. are all cheap at Gamestop. Use those. B) Dangle a carrot. In the 3 for 1, my managers were much happier to take my Madden 2001 if it was paired with a Fantavision and a (gasp!) GTA:SA. C) For PSOne titles, it only took me a polite, inquiring reminder that their flyer says they're part of the deal. Push a little bit if you're still being denied, but not too much. You're getting them good enough as it is.

4. Other than that, a manager who is super-sick of you can ban you. It's never happened to me, as I am polite and don't push it. I also go at all different hours (GR is open 'til midnight, y'know). Also, take the time to go to different locations. Blockbuster managers are usually NOT interested in the big picture; they care far more about their individual store's success than that of the company, and you can generally count on that when you're selling one GR's game to another, so long as you're not blatant about it.

Well, I guess that's it. The rest is commonsensical (i.e. remove stickers from game boxes, and if you can't, trade in just the game and manual...). Also, don't go excessive. I know I have gotten a lot of games at their expense, but bear in mind that this was over 6 months and 7 store locations. Let me know if you've got any questions, and happy hunting.

Not the Euless ones. They have great inventory, but I suspect they have been screwed once too often, and they're bitter. Lewisville and Carrollton (especially on Keller Springs) are very nice. I've never had any experience with the Arlington locations...How are they?

Also be aware that you can do much of your selling at regular Blockbusters in the area; 95% of them will give the exact same credit as a Game Rush will. I'm not sure if that is true in other states, though, as Blockbuster initiates all of its changes close to home. :D

[quote name='Archaic']Not the Euless ones. They have great inventory, but I suspect they have been screwed once too often, and they're bitter. Lewisville and Carrollton (especially on Keller Springs) are very nice. I've never had any experience with the Arlington locations...How are they?

Also be aware that you can do much of your selling at regular Blockbusters in the area; 95% of them will give the exact same credit as a Game Rush will. I'm not sure if that is true in other states, though, as Blockbuster initiates all of its changes close to home. :D[/quote]

Haven't done too much business with GR to be honest. I was hoping you could give me some insight into the Arlington hotspots. :lol: I'll be sure to try what you said and let you know if I find anything special. Thanks for the info.

I'm also in DFW, and the FlowerMound store next to the Kroger on 2499 despises me. I legitimately traded in my own used games on that trade one get a preorder for 29.99 deal to get Madden 2005 and GTA:SA. Only ONCE I went to Walmart and bought 6 cheap DVDs to trade for their 8 dollar DVD trade in special.

Anyhow, the manager with hippie hair that is about 20 or so got all pissed about it and since then he purposely screws with me and eyes me closely whenever I am in there. Heres what happened several times:

1) Said they weren't taking Halo 2 preorders, and I found out a day later they were.

2) I rent games and he "forgets" to remove the security lock.

The icing on the cake was last Thursday. I handed him my paypal credit card when paying for a rental. I have excellent credit and a minimal balance. He told me my card was declined and stopped short of laughing at me. So I go home and call up my credit card company to see what is going on. They told me they have no record of any attempted use at Blockbuster, and they said he likely never even swiped my card. I called him up to question him, and he just laughed pretending he did nothing wrong.

While on topic, is there a good way to legally extract revenge?

[quote name='manofpeace20']
While on topic, is there a good way to legally extract revenge?[/quote]

Well lets see you could of course find a number of people and get them to wirte complain letters to blockbuster until he gets fired, it worked at the local subway with this real annoying manager they had for a few months.

i'm sure this has been covered in one of the 86,753 other Gamerush threads, but does this "3=1 $9.99" trade-in deal work at plaiin old Blockbusters as well?

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='manofpeace20']

Well lets see you could of course find a number of people and get them to wirte complain letters to blockbuster until he gets fired, it worked at the local subway with this real annoying manager they had for a few months.[/quote]

I was thinking more creative. Once the bathroom cleaner at Walmart flipped out on me because I had to use the restroom (I had the runs) and he was cleaning it. I was so pissed off I held it in until he was done, and then I shit in the middle of his bathroom floor. He was even stupid enough tho leave the dustpan in there, so I also shit on the dustpan and made it a point to soak the bristles of the broom into the pile of diareah I had.

manofpeace if I was you i'd wait till his shift is done then beat the living hell out of him ... long enough so he bleeds for at least 10 places. Trust me, it works .. I did that with 2 gamecrazy employees already

[quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='manofpeace20']

Well lets see you could of course find a number of people and get them to wirte complain letters to blockbuster until he gets fired, it worked at the local subway with this real annoying manager they had for a few months.[/quote]

I was thinking more creative. Once the bathroom cleaner at Walmart flipped out on me because I had to use the restroom (I had the runs) and he was cleaning it. I was so pissed off I held it in until he was done, and then I shit in the middle of his bathroom floor. He was even stupid enough tho leave the dustpan in there, so I also shit on the dustpan and made it a point to soak the bristles of the broom into the pile of diareah I had.[/quote]

go eat a lot of taco bell or something and then you can shit on his car, you have experience and the now how for a good shitting, so find out which car is his and shit away, get some gloves and rub it on the handles and stuff.......

I'm so sick of these f*cking Gamerush reposts. A quick search will reveal dozens of them. We're all familiar with Gamerush and their deals. You remind me of that chick who left the CC 4.99 deal with several carts full of games. The truth is that you don't earn any points with me bragging about how you're scamming an honest retailer with great deals. I'd really like it if, this same time next year, we're not all looking back and remembering fondly the killer deals they used to have at "that Gamerush thing".

Yeah, lock this thread...it's bascially saying how he abuses the system, thus, soon to be ruined for all of us.

I too, do use GameRush, but not to abuse it. I did trade in a few $5 games back int eh day, but not an endless loop going to multiple GR's.

I've got a few games cheap from them over the past few months, but not enough to consider myself "scamming the system"

Unfortunately gamerush/blockbuster has people reading forums like this one in order to find loopholes in their deals. If this doesn't raise the loophole alert level to severe at BB HQ, I'd be surprised.

[quote name='jimbodan']I just wish I had 1 gamerush near me so I could pick up a couple titles cheap :([/quote]Yeah what he said ^^^^^

[quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='manofpeace20']

I was thinking more creative. Once the bathroom cleaner at Walmart flipped out on me because I had to use the restroom (I had the runs) and he was cleaning it. I was so pissed off I held it in until he was done, and then I shit in the middle of his bathroom floor. He was even stupid enough tho leave the dustpan in there, so I also shit on the dustpan and made it a point to soak the bristles of the broom into the pile of diareah I had.[/quote]

this is WAY off topic but how does one relieve his diarhea in the middle of the floor and not get it all over his pants and sneakers? Whenever I get it, it's rather explosive.

it is just a matter of time before gr puts these deals on lock-down, it is sad that threads on internet message boards like this are going to be the reason for the change

Those are some pretty good tips, Archaic.

I was able to get about $120 worth of credit after "investing" about $40-$50 in games and DVDs. I don't want to do that too often, because I don't want to get on the shit list.

But I do plan to do a bit of trading this weekend to hopefully get enough credit to pick me up some nice DS games.

Have you any of you DFW CAGers traveled to any of the two Ft. Worth GRs? Those are pretty much the only ones I go to when I'm in town.

I've never had to deal with any of the managers there, but I did manage to come by a huge dumbass at the Hulen St. store. He was actually in my little brother's class, and my brother told me he was a huge dork in school.

I was trading in three DVDs. Two of them he took no problem and the last one he said he wouldn't accept because it didn't have the NTSC label on it despite it being clearly an English DVD.

Also he wouldn't accept the Jet Grind Radio/Sega GT combo because it had the "Not for Resale" label on it. I tried explaining to him that there's no law stating that these can't be sold. I could go slap a Not for Resale sticker on a pile of donkey shit and that wouldn't mean people couldn't buy it.

The more I think about it, the more I want to go back there and take some more of my "investment games" and trade them in to him.

I'm hoping and praying they will actually have some decent used games this weekend.

[quote name='pfunkpearl']Unfortunately gamerush/blockbuster has people reading forums like this one in order to find loopholes in their deals. If this doesn't raise the loophole alert level to severe at BB HQ, I'd be surprised.[/quote]

I dunno, man. I'd like to see some real information about that before I'd believe you. I find it hard to believe that BB would hire people to go snoop around message boards looking for how people trade in games to their GRs when they could just hire people to come up with safe, loop-hole free deals.

Do you honestly think they don't know about these things? Please. They know about them. I believe they are willing to take the hit early on so they will get a major foothold in the business and be considered a real competitor to EB and Gamestop.

When they feel this has happened, I believe they'll pull a lot of their good deals and possibly give them back to us from time to time.

But the thought of them hiring people to troll forums makes me laugh.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='pfunkpearl']Unfortunately gamerush/blockbuster has people reading forums like this one in order to find loopholes in their deals. If this doesn't raise the loophole alert level to severe at BB HQ, I'd be surprised.[/quote]

I dunno, man. I'd like to see some real information about that before I'd believe you. I find it hard to believe that BB would hire people to go snoop around message boards looking for how people trade in games to their GRs when they could just hire people to come up with safe, loop-hole free deals.

Do you honestly think they don't know about these things? Please. They know about them. I believe they are willing to take the hit early on so they will get a major foothold in the business and be considered a real competitor to EB and Gamestop.

When they feel this has happened, I believe they'll pull a lot of their good deals and possibly give them back to us from time to time.

But the thought of them hiring people to troll forums makes me laugh.[/quote]

I really don't think the guy was saying that they hire people to browse forums. I think he was simply pointing out the fact that, over time, retailers tend to figure out where people are getting their info from.

I also don't think he was saying that they would pull the plug just because of a few posts like this. It's the people who are going to take his advice and try to scam them that's going to get the deals pulled. Managers have to report back to the corporate office, and the corporate office is going to learn that people are taking advantage, and that they are consistently losing money.

And no, I don't think this is some business strategy carefully designed to gain GR a foothold in the market. The fact is that this deal is not generating any more "real" business for GR. It does not make them more competitive. They are simply losing money in a difficult market, and EB and GS aren't batting an eyelash. If they knew they were going to lose so much money, they would not run these deals. I don't buy the idea that this deal is some kind of "loss leader." It's just a loss. Nobody's going to buy more stuff just because they have this deal.

[quote name='lain21us']I really don't think the guy was saying that they hire people to browse forums. I think he was simply pointing out the fact that, over time, retailers tend to figure out where people are getting their info from.

[quote name='pfunkpearl']Unfortunately gamerush/blockbuster has people reading forums like this one in order to find loopholes in their deals. If this doesn't raise the loophole alert level to severe at BB HQ, I'd be surprised.[/quote]

Hah, maybe you should re-read his post, because that's exactly what he was saying, bro.

I also don't think he was saying that they would pull the plug just because of a few posts like this. It's the people who are going to take his advice and try to scam them that's going to get the deals pulled. Managers have to report back to the corporate office, and the corporate office is going to learn that people are taking advantage, and that they are consistently losing money.

And no, I don't think this is some business strategy carefully designed to gain GR a foothold in the market. The fact is that this deal is not generating any more "real" business for GR. It does not make them more competitive. They are simply losing money in a difficult market, and EB and GS aren't batting an eyelash. If they knew they were going to lose so much money, they would not run these deals. I don't buy the idea that this deal is some kind of "loss leader." It's just a loss. Nobody's going to buy more stuff just because they have this deal.[/quote]

Okay, so if they didn't know they weren't going to lose money on these deals, then they should by now, and I still see these deals being put on time after time.
I would say that taking a hit on the deals to try to get a foothold in the market makes a helluva lot more sense than them just being dumbasses and having non-profitable deals. Blockbuster hasn't become a huge business through bad business.

But what you're nto grasping is this is not getting them any more long term customers. I mean maybe somebody who takes advantage of their deal will keep going back after they get rid of the deals. But Archaic and others like him are obviously just abusing the system. The minute these deals stop then people that like will stop going their and move onto another store.
Let's face it, people who abuse the system and even gloat about it are just like locusts. Moving from one store to the next with no regards to the long term ramifications.
I hope you guys enjoy these deals while you can get them, I'll gladly pay an extra 5 bucks to keep my dignity and self respect.

[quote name='icemanjmw13']But what you're nto grasping is this is not getting them any more long term customers. I mean maybe somebody who takes advantage of their deal will keep going back after they get rid of the deals. But Archaic and others like him are obviously just abusing the system. The minute these deals stop then people that like will stop going their and move onto another store.
Let's face it, people who abuse the system and even gloat about it are just like locusts. Moving from one store to the next with no regards to the long term ramifications.
I hope you guys enjoy these deals while you can get them, I'll gladly pay an extra 5 bucks to keep my dignity and self respect.[/quote]

I find it funny how some say people are abusing the system. Hell, it's not even a damn loop hole we're using! It's not like the Target raincheck here, guys.

Gamerush says you can trade in three games and get a used game for $9.99. It's not my problem they aren't putting games on an exclusion list. If they wanted to put a hault to this, all they have to do is start a company-wide exclusion list for this deal.

I know what you're probably going to say, and that's they wouldn't have to do this if people didn't abuse the deal, and you're right. I agree with you that people shouldn't abuse this deal.

I've only traded at Gamerush a couple times. But when I do, I try to get the most out of my money.

I think this thread should be moved or locked....it's not a deal that anyone didn't already know about, adn now it has become a discussion.

Yes, I have traded with GameRush as stated before...yes, I traded in a new DRAKE I bought to get maximum value....however, I'm not going to 5 different GameRush's to abuse the system. I stick to my one local one, and that is fine. I guess I don't trade games in just for a profit, but mroe to get a game I want cheaper.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']
Gamerush says you can trade in three games and get a used game for $9.99. It's not my problem they aren't putting games on an exclusion list. If they wanted to put a hault to this, all they have to do is start a company-wide exclusion list for this deal.[/quote]

Right on. It's thier own damn fault for not implimenting a current exclusion list. EB/GS update that list in a heartbeat anytime a game drops in signifigant value, especially if any big deals are coming down the pipe.

[quote name='manofpeace20']I'm also in DFW, and the FlowerMound store next to the Kroger on 2499 despises me. I legitimately traded in my own used games on that trade one get a preorder for 29.99 deal to get Madden 2005 and GTA:SA. Only ONCE I went to Walmart and bought 6 cheap DVDs to trade for their 8 dollar DVD trade in special.

Anyhow, the manager with hippie hair that is about 20 or so got all pissed about it and since then he purposely screws with me and eyes me closely whenever I am in there. Heres what happened several times:

1) Said they weren't taking Halo 2 preorders, and I found out a day later they were.

The icing on the cake was last Thursday. I handed him my paypal credit card when paying for a rental. I have excellent credit and a minimal balance. He told me my card was declined and stopped short of laughing at me. So I go home and call up my credit card company to see what is going on. They told me they have no record of any attempted use at Blockbuster, and they said he likely never even swiped my card. I called him up to question him, and he just laughed pretending he did nothing wrong.

Do you have a cell phone? If so, next time it's declined, call the card company right then and there. If they say that they didn't just get a swipe from BB, you've called his bluff.

[quote name='CappyCobra'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']
Gamerush says you can trade in three games and get a used game for $9.99. It's not my problem they aren't putting games on an exclusion list. If they wanted to put a hault to this, all they have to do is start a company-wide exclusion list for this deal.[/quote]

Right on. It's thier own damn fault for not implimenting a current exclusion list. EB/GS update that list in a heartbeat anytime a game drops in signifigant value, especially if any big deals are coming down the pipe.[/quote]

This is kind of like saying if I leave my front door unlocked you'd feel alright just walking in and jacking my PS2, jewelry, etc. I mean after all if I didn't want you to do that then I would have locked my door.
The thing that gets me isn't just that people abuse the deals, fine you can argue that it's their mistake for not having an exclusion list. But anytime people recieve the slightest resistance in doing this they come to these boards and scream bloody murder.
Someone that takes advantage of this deal once, or even twice I see as being a shrewd businessperson. Someone that spends all their time driving back and forth from store to store, man just get a job and you could probably make enough in that time that you wouldn't have to pull this shit. I know personally my time is too valuable to spend all day driving around to save 30 bucks, I feel bad for you if you have that kind of spare time and nothing to do with it.

[quote name='manofpeace20']I'm also in DFW, and the FlowerMound store next to the Kroger on 2499 despises me. I legitimately traded in my own used games on that trade one get a preorder for 29.99 deal to get Madden 2005 and GTA:SA. Only ONCE I went to Walmart and bought 6 cheap DVDs to trade for their 8 dollar DVD trade in special.

Ah, so you are not the only that has experienced Paul the hippie...

[quote name='icemanjmw13'][quote name='CappyCobra'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']

Right on. It's thier own damn fault for not implimenting a current exclusion list. EB/GS update that list in a heartbeat anytime a game drops in signifigant value, especially if any big deals are coming down the pipe.[/quote]

This is kind of like saying if I leave my front door unlocked you'd feel alright just walking in and jacking my PS2, jewelry, etc. I mean after all if I didn't want you to do that then I would have locked my door.
The thing that gets me isn't just that people abuse the deals, fine you can argue that it's their mistake for not having an exclusion list. But anytime people recieve the slightest resistance in doing this they come to these boards and scream bloody murder.
Someone that takes advantage of this deal once, or even twice I see as being a shrewd businessperson. Someone that spends all their time driving back and forth from store to store, man just get a job and you could probably make enough in that time that you wouldn't have to pull this shit. I know personally my time is too valuable to spend all day driving around to save 30 bucks, I feel bad for you if you have that kind of spare time and nothing to do with it.[/quote]

Your analogy is flawed. Leaving your door unlocked is not the same as setting up a store and inviting the public in to do business with specific deals. While I do think stores should have to abide by their own deals and the way they present them, I do agree with you that people who bitch and moan about getting shot down while exploiting those deals are just too greedy for their own good. As long as what you're doing is within the terms of the deal as stated by the store, sure, exploit the hell out of it and enjoy it while you can...but complaining and going on and on about getting shot down, or the deal being changed just makes you look silly.

The thing about exploiting the hell out of it while you can is that while you can will end.
I believe that based on the way BB has been acting towards GGC users, and the way people keep taking advantage of these deals, it is only a matter of time befores companies stop with a lot of these promotions. Then what are cheapasses going to do?

[quote name='icemanjmw13'][quote name='CappyCobra'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']

Someone that takes advantage of this deal once, or even twice I see as being a shrewd businessperson. Someone that spends all their time driving back and forth from store to store, man just get a job and you could probably make enough in that time that you wouldn't have to pull this shit. I know personally my time is too valuable to spend all day driving around to save 30 bucks, I feel bad for you if you have that kind of spare time and nothing to do with it.[/quote]

Wow, you analogy is totally blowing it out of proportion. The fact is that it is within its within its guidelines to do what these parisites are doing. As stated in the OP there are measures put in place to curb the rampant abuse of the promotion. I fault the management of GR and do not pitty them if the come out in the red this year. Its thier own fault for not uniformly developing a switch in thier scripts to suspend, training thier Noob managers on SOP, or developing limits built into the promotion. Its just the nature of the beast. You know people are going to abuse the shit out of it. If you do leave your door unlocked you deserve to get EVERYTHING stolen. Its just what you will do about it that counts. Poor management shouldn't be pityed, it should be replaced with competent people, not GED lifelong lower management losers. If you want to see a good model, see what gamecrazy is doing, good sales, decent profit, building goodwill. Abusers just bitch on these flames do displace thier anger cause they can't do anything about it. Let them bitch. They bitch, you flame. It happens its going to happen, it'll happen in the future.

It's a bit of a cycle, or at least it is by my reasoning. There are several reasons why things go on clearance, for example...whether that's because the store needs more shelf space, or because there's a newer version of the same product coming out, or (and this is my favorite reason!) because people refuse to pay that much money for it. I've bought tons of games this past year, during clearances and trade-in deals and what-not. Would I have bought even 1/4 of those games had I not had these cheap-ass opportunities? No way, simply because it would have cost a ridiculous amount of money. The promotions may change, store policy may change (like the Best Buy one-cent guides, if you've kept up with that stuff), but there will always be the opportunity to be a cheapass as long as there are people who refuse to pay full retail price for products. If people stop going into the stores because the promotions stop, eventually they'll start back up again. I'm not saying you'll ALWAYS be able to take advantage of something like the OP in this thread has, but there will always be the opportunity to buy stuff and get a deal.

[quote name='darkwingduck13']It's a bit of a cycle, or at least it is by my reasoning. There are several reasons why things go on clearance, for example...whether that's because the store needs more shelf space, or because there's a newer version of the same product coming out, or (and this is my favorite reason!) because people refuse to pay that much money for it. I've bought tons of games this past year, during clearances and trade-in deals and what-not. Would I have bought even 1/4 of those games had I not had these cheap-ass opportunities? No way, simply because it would have cost a ridiculous amount of money. The promotions may change, store policy may change (like the Best Buy one-cent guides, if you've kept up with that stuff), but there will always be the opportunity to be a cheapass as long as there are people who refuse to pay full retail price for products. If people stop going into the stores because the promotions stop, eventually they'll start back up again. I'm not saying you'll ALWAYS be able to take advantage of something like the OP in this thread has, but there will always be the opportunity to buy stuff and get a deal.[/quote]

I'm not talking about waiting for games to go down in price, or waiting for a sale before you buy a game. Probably 90% of my games I get used or after they've been out a while so I don't pay full price.
I'm not trying to argue that the management/store has no fault, of course they do. But as has been stated in this post you can take advantage of certain failures in the store systems (such as going back and forth between 3 stores that don't share information, for one example).
Bah, I know the people that do it are going to continue to do it. I just wonder, I pose this question to those of you who scout around for these "deals." If you buy 3 games at Walm-mart, then go to your store and trade them in, then go back and buy 3 more, go trade them in, etc. and after 2 hours of running around and in a way hiding what you're doing, is one free game really worth that? I'm not judging anyone, I just know my time with my friends/family/relaxing is way more valuable than that.

[quote name='icemanjmw13'][quote name='darkwingduck13']It's a bit of a cycle, or at least it is by my reasoning. There are several reasons why things go on clearance, for example...whether that's because the store needs more shelf space, or because there's a newer version of the same product coming out, or (and this is my favorite reason!) because people refuse to pay that much money for it. I've bought tons of games this past year, during clearances and trade-in deals and what-not. Would I have bought even 1/4 of those games had I not had these cheap-ass opportunities? No way, simply because it would have cost a ridiculous amount of money. The promotions may change, store policy may change (like the Best Buy one-cent guides, if you've kept up with that stuff), but there will always be the opportunity to be a cheapass as long as there are people who refuse to pay full retail price for products. If people stop going into the stores because the promotions stop, eventually they'll start back up again. I'm not saying you'll ALWAYS be able to take advantage of something like the OP in this thread has, but there will always be the opportunity to buy stuff and get a deal.[/quote]

I'm not talking about waiting for games to go down in price, or waiting for a sale before you buy a game. Probably 90% of my games I get used or after they've been out a while so I don't pay full price.
I'm not trying to argue that the management/store has no fault, of course they do. But as has been stated in this post you can take advantage of certain failures in the store systems (such as going back and forth between 3 stores that don't share information, for one example).
Bah, I know the people that do it are going to continue to do it. I just wonder, I pose this question to those of you who scout around for these "deals." If you buy 3 games at Walm-mart, then go to your store and trade them in, then go back and buy 3 more, go trade them in, etc. and after 2 hours of running around and in a way hiding what you're doing, is one free game really worth that? I'm not judging anyone, I just know my time with my friends/family/relaxing is way more valuable than that.[/quote]

That's why you just pick up a couple of 3-packs at Wal-Mart when you're there buying something else, man! :twisted: :roll:

Wow, such discord. Frankly, I don't see how this post, advising on a way to exploit a company's loophole and get games cheaply (not free, not theft, etc.), is anything but kosher on this board. Hell, the Best Buy gamers card exploit was up here as a sticky(!) for awhile.

And if you believe that Blockbuster (a huge corporation with several decades of retail and marketing experience) doesn't know the loophole exists, or that, consequently, they send their legions to surf this board, you're fooling yourself. They simply see it as risk versus reward, and hope to reap the reward.

Is it my job to ensure that they do good business? No. It's my job to ensure that I do good business. I'm not out to protect them, and I can't believe that some of you are treating this as though they are giving you this deal as some sort of boon. :roll: How naive.

[quote name='seppuku']i'm sure this has been covered in one of the 86,753 other Gamerush threads, but does this "3=1 $9.99" trade-in deal work at plaiin old Blockbusters as well?[/quote]

This particular time around it is because the deal is on the November Blockbuster flyers and don't say anything about valid at participating gamerush (like the extra $5 deal did.)

Also guys, enough with the locking.....if you don't like the thread, don't read it, don't post in it, ignore him. He isn't doing or supporting anything remotely illegal. Not that I encourage people taking advantage of GR but enough trying to police people...

I was thinking more creative. Once the bathroom cleaner at Walmart flipped out on me because I had to use the restroom (I had the runs) and he was cleaning it. I was so pissed off I held it in until he was done, and then I shit in the middle of his bathroom floor. He was even stupid enough tho leave the dustpan in there, so I also shit on the dustpan and made it a point to soak the bristles of the broom into the pile of diareah I had.[/quote] :shock:

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='lain21us']I really don't think the guy was saying that they hire people to browse forums. I think he was simply pointing out the fact that, over time, retailers tend to figure out where people are getting their info from.

Hah, maybe you should re-read his post, because that's exactly what he was saying, bro.

And no, I don't think this is some business strategy carefully designed to gain GR a foothold in the market. The fact is that this deal is not generating any more "real" business for GR. It does not make them more competitive. They are simply losing money in a difficult market, and EB and GS aren't batting an eyelash. If they knew they were going to lose so much money, they would not run these deals. I don't buy the idea that this deal is some kind of "loss leader." It's just a loss. Nobody's going to buy more stuff just because they have this deal.[/quote]

Okay, so if they didn't know they weren't going to lose money on these deals, then they should by now, and I still see these deals being put on time after time.
I would say that taking a hit on the deals to try to get a foothold in the market makes a helluva lot more sense than them just being dumbasses and having non-profitable deals. Blockbuster hasn't become a huge business through bad business.
[/quote]
Well I've heard of people reporting to their managers after they have read things here and on fatwallet. I'm just saying, posts like this pop out when skimming the forum. Oh well..Enjoy

[quote name='Archaic']Wow, such discord. Frankly, I don't see how this post, advising on a way to exploit a company's loophole and get games cheaply (not free, not theft, etc.), is anything but kosher on this board. Hell, the Best Buy gamers card exploit was up here as a sticky(!) for awhile.

And if you believe that Blockbuster (a huge corporation with several decades of retail and marketing experience) doesn't know the loophole exists, or that, consequently, they send their legions to surf this board, you're fooling yourself. They simply see it as risk versus reward, and hope to reap the reward.

Is it my job to ensure that they do good business? No. It's my job to ensure that I do good business. I'm not out to protect them, and I can't believe that some of you are treating this as though they are giving you this deal as some sort of boon. :roll: How naive.[/quote]

Now that you've had a chance to kiss your own ass and pat youself on the back, how about reading the sticky topic on the top of this forum to figure out which forum this topic belongs.

Glad you know how to exploit the system. The rest of us are just dumb shits who can't figure it out for ourselves.

I like how the OP thinks he has an original idea.

I've done this deal many times, and I can careless if im putting blockbuster in the red.

BB gets their rental games FOR FREE from game companies, they make the income off rentals, and now turns around and sells them for 44.99? I'm doing this for all those BB's that opened up next to a mom and pop video store and has to now to compete by focusing their inventory exclusively to porn.

I think every CAG'er would take advantage of this deal if given the chance. Come on 3 PS1 games for a 10 dollar halo2?

For everyone who thinks "oh, all that driving around to save 10 dollars on a game, gimme a break", it goes MUCH further then that, if you can do the math.

Never did I expect so much bile here for a one-page description on how to get the most out of a deal. Bmulligan, you are an angry young man, but your "I'm a dumbshit" admission (paraphrased) redeems you a bit.

The original post mentions all of the details of an (admittedly) well-known deal, but it also discusses how to take the deal to the next level. It's applicable to the board. I'd personally just as soon have the rest of the discourse wiped and the post locked, as the whining here is giving me a headache (which is odd, as it is by nature of its presentation inaudible; maybe its just the screen glare...)

I used to work for Blockbuster, the comment about adding "notes" onto accounts is this:

Anyone can add a comment or warning onto your account ~ The catch is is that employees generally aren't allowed to do so unless the manager wills it (big lawsuit a few years ago), these comments don't go away over time but they can only go away if someone goes through and manually erases it.

As for stores giving you the shaft that's up to the manager, heck if they band together and can finger your scheme they will probably not allow you to trade in, but as long as you can get away with it go for it!

Too bad there are no stinking gamerush stores in Arizona, we won't have them for about 5 years... I'm sure they'll get these "bugs" worked out by then... but you never know, since when did Blockbuster make sense?

[quote name='Archaic']Never did I expect so much bile here for a one-page description on how to get the most out of a deal. Bmulligan, you are an angry young man, but your "I'm a dumbshit" admission (paraphrased) redeems you a bit.
[/quote]

The dumbshit comment was sarcasm. The wind whistling over your head leads me to believe I'm MUCH older than you are.

The original post mentions all of the details of an (admittedly) well-known deal, but it also discusses how to take the deal to the next level. It's applicable to the board. I'd personally just as soon have the rest of the discourse wiped and the post locked, as the whining here is giving me a headache (which is odd, as it is by nature of its presentation inaudible; maybe its just the screen glare...)

The deatils are posted in the WRONG FORUM. I'd personally like to see you stop being a whiny whitebread and take two asprin. (That's facetiousness, look it up because If you don't know sarcasm, you really don't understand that one)

[quote name='manofpeace20']

The first thing to do is change that screenname. manofpeace just don't cut it when you are out for vengence.

bread's done
Back