Heroes of Might and Magic 5 PC - LE Collectors - HUGE BONUSES!!!

Roufuss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
102 (100%)
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=646577

All I've got to say is holy crap. At first I thought it was just a trick to pay an extra $10 to get the game on DVD, but nope, no sir.

Limited Edition Content:
* Unique In-Game content including a unique Hero Aura.
* Entire game on 1 DVD. Also includes Heroes of Might & Magic 3 and 4.
* Official Sountrack
* Special artwork and illustrations

I can only hope it comes with the expansions to both games as well... kind of doubting it, but we'll see.

Price is $59.99... the game had a shitty demo, they went back and supposedly retooled the game, so I'm hoping this turns out to be awesome.

EDIT: Best Buy says that HoMM 3 and 4 are remastered for Windows XP compatibility, as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7820432&type=product&id=1142294266417

[quote name='killswitch64']Sweet, can't wait. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

np!

According to GameFAQ's, the final version has been leaked already, and apparently Ubisoft has retooled it enough to make it one awesome game. I can't wait! I love having my games on DVD, and I love it even more when Collectors Edition's give me that extra push into buying them.

Now I just have to find a Battle for Middle Earth 2 CE cheap somewhere ;)

The beta was awful but the demo they released in April was excellent. Can't wait for this!

I pre-ordered the LE through Ubi's online store back in January. Initially the LE was going to include HoMM II, III & IV but they broke it up. The UK version has HoMM II only but they get some unique box, cards and a coin - yay lol. We get 3 & 4 and the Soundtrack. Overall I think we got the better version.

I never played any of them before, but it looks interesting. Ill pick up the LE for 3 & 4. That is one awesome set. :D Should one play the others before 5?

[quote name='rodeojones903']I never played any of them before, but it looks interesting. Ill pick up the LE for 3 & 4. That is one awesome set. :D Should one play the others before 5?[/QUOTE]

Nope... there is no overall story or anything.

I remember playing HoMM 2 like a fiend back in the day... I can't believe this comes out in a week, I totally lost track of it. I don't think I'm going to wait for a deal and just get it ASAP.

That is awesome to hear there is a new demo... I will check it out right now.

Aww.. I actually liked II better than III or IV.. oh well, V seems to be worth it regardless (and I can likely just convince my father to get the LE since he liked the earlier games enough).

[quote name='r1s3n']After a bit of looking I found Ubisoft has a pretty good deal. 2 day fed ex shipping free and no tax. Looks like it ships on the 23rd as well so a bit earlier doesn't hurt. Anyways here's the link to the ubisoft store.

http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=69292&category=PC

r1s3n[/QUOTE]

That's a good deal... I'm waiting until the week after next's ads pop up, see if anyone puts the regular edition on sale so I can PM it to Best Buy for the CE.

If not, I'll just order it on Sunday.

[quote name='Roufuss']I remember playing HoMM 2 like a fiend back in the day.[/quote]

I remember getting HoMM 2 and playing that game for hours on end, it was an addiction. There were nights I wouldn't even sleep lol.

HOMM 2 was a great game, used to play with my friends for hours. We'd play hotseat for hours and hours. Sometimes days though I always got stomped, they'd play warlock and wizard and my necromancer always got trounced by those black dragons and titans.

r1s3n

i remember when i got my hands on 3...wow i have never played a game so much, it was amazing..4 i enjoyed very much, didnt have t4he same magic, but still loved it! i cant wait for 5 :)!
but to stay on topic..for those who are new to the series, i highly recommend this :D ..give you a nice dip in the pool that is heroes!
...i sound like a machine lol

I saw a preview of this today.. it looked a lot like Oblivion. I'm interested. Never played a Heroes of Might and Magic game, though.

Hell of a series, I've played it since the original HOMM. Definitely some good days spent playing HOMM3 with 8 people at LAN parties.

The extra 10 bucks for all of that on one disc? I'd hit it ;)

[quote name='Scorch']I saw a preview of this today.. it looked a lot like Oblivion. I'm interested. Never played a Heroes of Might and Magic game, though.[/QUOTE]

You might be thinking of Might and Magic, because Heroes of Might and Magic is the turn based spin off that looks nothing at all like Oblivion :p

I've been playing the demo for the last 2 or so hours, and it's amazing, just like the old games. Its hard as hell, though.

[quote name='Roufuss']Now I just have to find a Battle for Middle Earth 2 CE cheap somewhere ;)[/QUOTE]
Actually, you can get the import version of BfME2 CE for $40 with $2 shipping at Gogamer.
http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001LORB2CI
I ordered one myself, very slick.

And I might have to hop on that HoMM5 CE with free shipping and no tax. I've never played a HoMM game before, but I've heard good things and throwing 3 and 4 in with the mix sounds great.

[quote name='adezero']would be great if HoMM 3 and 4 included the expansions[/QUOTE]

Haven't heard anything official. Someone who runs a fansite said it's definitely not included, but didn't mention a source for that info, so it sounds sketchy. I'm thinking we could, just because the only distribution of the 'complete' rereleases of 3 and 4 is being done in Europe, which I think is why their special edition has number 2 bundled instead of the others. Anyone hear anything certain?

I'm waiting for the reviews first, but this game could end up being really good. I'll definitely get the LE if the reviews are positive.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm waiting for the reviews first, but this game could end up being really good. I'll definitely get the LE if the reviews are positive.[/QUOTE]

Play the demo for yourself, it's amazing, it feels so much like the older HoMM games so far.

I've got a feeling the reviews will be around the high 70's early 80's for this one, just because it feels very old school.

I agree, HoMM V is much more like the 'classic' games than IV was. I was greatly disappointed in IV. III:SoD/Complete is one of my favorite games of all time--in fact, my wife and i played it the other day.
I'm sure they will release a superbundle later on with 'everything', they always have, with the HoMM series.
I think one of the best things about HoMM III was the random map generator.
I played the demo for V, and liked it, it's definitely got a lot of new tweaks on the gameplay [creatures casting spells, summoning town creatures without being in town, etc.].
But it is rather resource heavy, and it's kinda hard to see, or that might just be my old eyes.
One thing I would like, that Ididn't see in the demo--if you are zoomed in in combat, I would like the camera to follow the active character/creature.
Anyway, nice find, and it would be handy having everything on one disk.

Pre-ordered the limited edition when they announced it would not have star-force on it.

Here's hoping for a kick ass box and not some small piece of shit.

Just a note: HOMM 1-4 are available via Gametap, also. I swear, it's gotten me to sell a lot of games when they're all on there. :)

Granted, I also beta test so I don't have to pay the monthly fee. ;)

A number of years ago, I bought HoMM: Millenium Edition, which includes HoMM 1-3 plus an expansion pack for 2. Here's the stupid part: I opened it, but never even loaded it up on my computer. I still have it, and from time to time I think about trying it out, but I doubt that it would run on my new computer with XP. I've also thought about putting it on ebay, but have no idea what I could reasonably expect to get for it.

I've never been able to get into RTS, resource-management type games. My brother lives for Command & Conquer, but my eyes glaze over and I get lost immediately when he tries to get me into it. Is HoMM even worth trying out for someone like me?

[quote name='Danimal']A number of years ago, I bought HoMM: Millenium Edition, which includes HoMM 1-3 plus an expansion pack for 2. Here's the stupid part: I opened it, but never even loaded it up on my computer. I still have it, and from time to time I think about trying it out, but I doubt that it would run on my new computer with XP. I've also thought about putting it on ebay, but have no idea what I could reasonably expect to get for it.

I've never been able to get into RTS, resource-management type games. My brother lives for Command & Conquer, but my eyes glaze over and I get lost immediately when he tries to get me into it. Is HoMM even worth trying out for someone like me?[/QUOTE]

HoMM isn't an RTS. It's a turn based strategy game. There is some resource management aspects, so if that turns you off, you may not enjoy it. I've only played 1 and 2 back in the day and loved them dearly. The combination of strategy (town-building, resource control) and tactical elements really appealed to me. I would definately say it's worth a shot.

[quote name='Danimal']A number of years ago, I bought HoMM: Millenium Edition, which includes HoMM 1-3 plus an expansion pack for 2. Here's the stupid part: I opened it, but never even loaded it up on my computer. I still have it, and from time to time I think about trying it out, but I doubt that it would run on my new computer with XP. I've also thought about putting it on ebay, but have no idea what I could reasonably expect to get for it.
[/QUOTE]

Heroes III should, at least; I'm running HoMM III Complete just fine. 1 and 2, maybe not. But you could try it.
Ebay: probably not a whole lot. The later releases of each HoMM game have generally come with copies of the prequels. But I guess it couldn't hurt to try.
Suggestion: Post it on Amazon.com marketplace. Their commission ends up being about 15-17%, but it's easier than dealing with Ebay auctions, and much better than Half.com. I've sold three things there this weekend, each of them had been posted for less than 48 hours, and I wasn't even the cheapest to offer them.

[quote name='Danimal']
I've never been able to get into RTS, resource-management type games. My brother lives for Command & Conquer, but my eyes glaze over and I get lost immediately when he tries to get me into it. Is HoMM even worth trying out for someone like me?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. HoMM has more of a Shining Force feel than a C&C feel. I don't like RTS games, or heavy resource-management games either. HoMM is a very 'light' version of r-m, and the combat is turn based, 'chess board' combat. If you like turnbased strategy/tactics games, definitely give HoMM a play.
The resource-managent is very limited; basically, there are 7 resources including gold, you earn income each day, if you have mines [which you find, you don't build], you get that resource coming in, or you can find piles of the resources lying around. And you are limited to building one building per town per day.

[/QUOTE]

If you were planning on doing it, do it fast, since rumors are out there that Ubisoft is going to release HoMM 1 - 4 Complete, which is all the games and all the expansions.

Just a rumor for now, though.

I was planning on picking this up until I found a near-perfect copy of Heroes 3 complete (contains the two expansions and the original game) and Heroes 4 (along with Arcanum) for five bucks total at a used game store. Heroes 3 seems to run fairly well on my xp machine, and that game, for me, was the pinnacle of the series.

I feel the same way. Everytime I play an RTS, I am just no fast enough to keep up and always end up playing defense and eventually get over run. I love the Heroes series though. I played the first three (and King's Bounty for the Genesis, which is basically a port of the first one) and absolutely love them. Being turn based, you can take your time and think. Also, you can mix armies which is cool, so you are not stuck only using units from your original city.

I have stayed away from PC gaming and have been focusing on console gaming, but I am defintely grabbing this.

I have heard several times that this is fairly challenging. For those that played the demo, what makes it so tough? Do the opposing armies just start out that much stronger? Any word on whether there are difficulty sliders? Oh and the game that looks like Oblivion is Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

[quote name='r1s3n']After a bit of looking I found Ubisoft has a pretty good deal. 2 day fed ex shipping free and no tax. Looks like it ships on the 23rd as well so a bit earlier doesn't hurt. Anyways here's the link to the ubisoft store.

http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=69292&category=PC

r1s3n[/QUOTE]

Just a quick note on this. The Ubisoft store *IS* charging tax on orders of the LE. Shipping is still free, however.

Hmm they must of changed since when I ordered. I checked my email reciept and it's a straight 59.99 charge.

r1s3n

I've never been able to get into RTS, resource-management type games. My brother lives for Command & Conquer, but my eyes glaze over and I get lost immediately when he tries to get me into it. Is HoMM even worth trying out for someone like me?[/quote]

I bought the Millenium Edition too. All the games work fine under Xp with no issues.

[quote name='Amankhan']Just a quick note on this. The Ubisoft store *IS* charging tax on orders of the LE. Shipping is still free, however.[/QUOTE]

From their FAQ:
State law requires the Ubisoft Store to collect sales tax on orders shipped to California, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania and Minnesota, North Carolina and Texas. The actual rate may vary by the city the order is being shipped to.

State & Tax % (as of Aug 2003)

CA = 8.75
IL = 9.25
MN = 7.5
TX = 8.25
NY = 8.5
NC = 7.5
PA = 7.0

[quote name='Roufuss']np!

According to GameFAQ's, the final version has been leaked already, and apparently Ubisoft has retooled it enough to make it one awesome game. I can't wait! I love having my games on DVD, and I love it even more when Collectors Edition's give me that extra push into buying them.

Now I just have to find a Battle for Middle Earth 2 CE cheap somewhere ;)[/quote]

Its not fun. Its very slow paced. I've never played any other games in the series, but this one definitely didn't make me want to get into them.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']From their FAQ:[/QUOTE]

I live in WA state, so by their FAQ I should not have been charged sales tax. I'll contact them & find out what happened.

[quote name='Kayden']Its not fun. Its very slow paced. I've never played any other games in the series, but this one definitely didn't make me want to get into them.[/quote]

Actually it's pretty well paced for a turn-based strategy game but if TB strategy isn't your sorta thing then Heroes V isn't for you.

[quote name='Setzer']Actually it's pretty well paced for a turn-based strategy game but if TB strategy isn't your sorta thing then Heroes V isn't for you.[/quote]

I liked Disgaea and I'm playing growlanser 2 now. I just wasn't real fond of how the only thing you did was tell them to attack and attack and attack and.... The city building was clumsy for how simple it was.

HOMM harks back to the old days of turn based strategy games. Personally, I find these games more enjoyable because the player can delve into strategy more deeply as opposed to the frenetic pace of RTS games. I think the series is one of the best in its genre but there are some caveats. If you've never played a turn based strategy game you should try the demo as the series has always been quite challenging and the pace is much slower than what people are used to these days.

[quote name='Kayden']I liked Disgaea and I'm playing growlanser 2 now. I just wasn't real fond of how the only thing you did was tell them to attack and attack and attack and.... The city building was clumsy for how simple it was.[/QUOTE]

Wait... isn't Disgaea just level level level and then attack attack attack? There isn't really alot of strategy to that game. I would say that a battle in HoMM has a bit more strategy then a battle in Disgaea.

HoMM has alot of strategy, it just takes awhile to get into... its definitely for the patient person. One game can last a VERY long time, against two skilled players.

The city building is nothing more then a means to an end, and isn't really the focus of the game, imo, but it too provides a level of strategy, as it's important you pick the right buildings for the task in the early game.

Well, I played it for like two hours and realized I'd been doing the same shit over and over and it wasn't that fun to begin with. So I deleted it.

[quote name='Roufuss']Wait... isn't Disgaea just level level level and then attack attack attack? There isn't really alot of strategy to that game. I would say that a battle in HoMM has a bit more strategy then a battle in Disgaea.

HoMM has alot of strategy, it just takes awhile to get into... its definitely for the patient person. One game can last a VERY long time, against two skilled players.

The city building is nothing more then a means to an end, and isn't really the focus of the game, imo, but it too provides a level of strategy, as it's important you pick the right buildings for the task in the early game.[/quote]

Gamespot's review is up and the game got an 8.2. Definitely a good score especailly when the PC market for strategy games is so competitive. I haven't actually read it yet though... just giving people a heads up.

[quote name='adezero']so, did anyone get the LE? what about the expansions for 3 and 4[/QUOTE]

Expansions for 3 and 4 aren't included, sadly enough.

The theory behind this is that if Heroes 1 - 4 Complete edition comes out, it'll entice those people who get HoMM 3 / 4 to shell out some extra $$ for the complete games.

Has anyone found this at all yet?

No EB / Gamestop has got it in, according to the locator some are NEVER getting it, and Best Buy got in the regular but no LE, and the date for the LE got pushed back a day on the website.

Picked mine up at a EBGames today. Was rather disappointed not to see the expansions, but I was more interested with V anyways.

Definitely reminds me of III, though...a little different layout on the fighting, and a lot more detailed regarding units, heroes, etc....

First impression? Definitely a multiplayer day-waster :applause:

bread's done
Back