Heroes of Newerth, $10 this weekend

Gboon

CAGiversary!
Also you get double coins (you get skins and stuff with them) this weekend for matchmaking.

Heres a link:
https://www.heroesofnewerth.com/

Looks like the deal is up already, good until I think sunday.

Normal price is $30, and with no retail or digital distribution other than directly from them, theres no other way to get it cheaper as far as I know outside of them doing a sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='danh920']what kind of game is this?[/QUOTE]

It's essentially DOTA the warcraft 3 mod. There is a free similar version called League of Legends.

It's kinda a mix of a PvP rpg type of game with RTS movement styles.

I have HoN and LoL. I play LoL all the time, it's really addictive. HoN has a slightly higher difficulty and learning curve, but still very fun.

I was wondering, what exactly do you get with the coins? And what are the main differences with LoL? (I hate the paying system in LoL to get skins for my dudes, so if I could just get a complete game for $10 w/o needing to worry about paying for anything else, I'd be a happy person).

[quote name='Khamous']I was wondering, what exactly do you get with the coins? And what are the main differences with LoL? (I hate the paying system in LoL to get skins for my dudes, so if I could just get a complete game for $10 w/o needing to worry about paying for anything else, I'd be a happy person).[/QUOTE]

you still have to pay micro-trans fees for skins in HoN (unless you get those coins for free, since that's what the micro-trans currency is). You just get all the new heroes for free.

$10 is a great deal for HoN. However, my HUGEST gripe about the game is the community that plays it. Most are complete and utter ass holes. Turned me off from the game after playing since its beginnings in beta and moved me to LoL where ppl are much nicer.

[quote name='Khamous']I was wondering, what exactly do you get with the coins? And what are the main differences with LoL? (I hate the paying system in LoL to get skins for my dudes, so if I could just get a complete game for $10 w/o needing to worry about paying for anything else, I'd be a happy person).[/QUOTE]

$10 gets you every character in the game.
Coins let you buy custom skins, sounds, and icons.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It's essentially DOTA the warcraft 3 mod. There is a free similar version called League of Legends.

It's kinda a mix of a PvP rpg type of game with RTS movement styles.[/QUOTE]

AKA a MOBA, or Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. The genre is basically... DotA, LoL, Newerth, Demigod, and DotA2. I think some other company announced a game like this recently, but I can't remember the name.

I may snag Newerth for this price... played the beta a lot but I moved on to LoL. But $10 for nostalgic purposes ain't too bad...

Edit: Monday Night Combat is also a third-person game in the MOBA style.

[quote name='Darknuke']you still have to pay micro-trans fees for skins in HoN (unless you get those coins for free, since that's what the micro-trans currency is). You just get all the new heroes for free.

$10 is a great deal for HoN. However, my HUGEST gripe about the game is the community that plays it. Most are complete and utter ass holes. Turned me off from the game after playing since its beginnings in beta and moved me to LoL where ppl are much nicer.[/QUOTE]

I actually like not having all the heroes in LoL unlocked. It means when I play a hero I actually need to spend time with it and learn how to play x character because I don't have every one to play with.

[quote name='Darknuke']you still have to pay micro-trans fees for skins in HoN (unless you get those coins for free, since that's what the micro-trans currency is). You just get all the new heroes for free.

$10 is a great deal for HoN. However, my HUGEST gripe about the game is the community that plays it. Most are complete and utter ass holes. Turned me off from the game after playing since its beginnings in beta and moved me to LoL where ppl are much nicer.[/QUOTE]

People in LoL is nicer? wtf... last time I played LoL, the community was torn between elitists and newbs :(. That's my problem with these kind of games, (even in MNC which is these games but casual mode) the community ruins it.

This is based on the widely popular DotA map mod from WC3. Similar to League of Legends you control one hero and with 4 others try to destroy the opponents base.
Usually its $30 so for $10 its a good deal if you like real time strategy games. They offer a trial so you can give it a try before you buy also

[quote name='Cheeseknight28']AKA a MOBA, or Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. The genre is basically... DotA, LoL, Newerth, Demigod, and DotA2. I think some other company announced a game like this recently, but I can't remember the name.

I may snag Newerth for this price... played the beta a lot but I moved on to LoL. But $10 for nostalgic purposes ain't too bad...

Edit: Monday Night Combat is also a third-person game in the MOBA style.[/QUOTE]

SOTIS (Storm of the Imperial Sanctum) is also a MOBA game; it's pretty much the DOTA in Starcraft 2. Also in case anyone didn't know, DOTA2 is being made by Valve :D

I prefer LoL to HoN. The community is a lot nicer, and the learning curve is not as steep. I've never played ranked in HoN, but in unranked games, its always unbalanced like crazy, people yelling at people for sucking, people leave all the time, it's all just frustrating. Regardless though still very fun, and I would recommend it for $10.

LoL will still have elitists and jerks, but in unranked you start at level 1 and slowly make your way up to 30. It's more balanced in the sense that unless you're playing with high level friends, you will be matched with people around your level. Ranked games in LoL aren't available til 30 so you know how to play the game by then, and ranked games are very fun; they add an extremely strategic-based competitive atmosphere to the game. I've actually spent quite a decent amount of money in LoL, from buying skins and champions, etc. But I honestly don't regret, it's probably one of my favorite games ever. And LoL is free to play, things that cost money in it are not mandatory, I also recommend it to everyone!

If anyone is feeling nice and wants to help out a fellow CAG, it would be very much appreciated if you signed up using my referral link. I would love you very much big time

[quote name='ury2ok2000']I see nothing about a trial at HON. Am I overlooking it?
[/QUOTE]

There is no trial or demo publicly available.
People who bought the game can send out trial keys to friends. If you pm me or post your email address here, I can send you a key.

Personally, i would only get HoN if you have friends that play it. LoL in my opinion is more noob friendly and is more unique than Dota. All the characters in HoN are like replicas.

[quote name='aznliljeff']Personally, i would only get HoN if you have friends that play it. LoL in my opinion is more noob friendly and is more unique than Dota. All the characters in HoN are like replicas.[/QUOTE]

You take that back! >:[ /me picks puppet master

[quote name='aznliljeff']Personally, i would only get HoN if you have friends that play it. LoL in my opinion is more noob friendly and is more unique than Dota. All the characters in HoN are like replicas.[/QUOTE]

Half at most are DotA clones.

bread's done
Back