Heroes of Newerth on Sale for 10$

crystalklear64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I think theres a thread around already but figured I'd post it in the PC section.

For a "limited time" (guessing this weekend?) HoN accounts are 10$. I played like a million hours in the beta and switched to LoL, but at 10$ I'm going to pick up HoN again.
https://www.heroesofnewerth.com/purchase_account.php

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=237244
[quote name='HoN']Cancel your plans this weekend! This is now a Hardcore HoN Weekend and you won't want to miss a minute of it!

For a limited time, full HoN Accounts are only $10! Let your friends know that this is the best time to purchase a HoN account.

After you get your friends into the game, make a weekend of it! For the first time ever, you will earn DOUBLE the coins in Matchmaking all weekend!

These events both end at 12:00 AM EST on Monday, March 28! Get your ownage on and have fun during the Hardcore HoN Weekend !

(Both the $10 sale and the double matchmaking coin event have already started) [/quote]
Q & A!

How much is the game normally?
Like 30$

I heard the HoN community is mean?
Depends on who you play with, but if you're bad you will get called out on it.

When is DotA 2 coming out?
I dunno.

How many of S2 Games have become free?
All of them except HoN.

When DotA 2 comes out what will happen to HoN?
It will die and probably become free while S2 works on their next game.

Should I buy HoN?
Maybe. Its 10$ and a fun game once you learn what you're doing. If you don't want to spend some time learning I'd avoid it. Try LoL, its free and has less going on.

[quote name='Morphx2']I got it for free in a contest.

Played it for half a game

Then never touched it again[/QUOTE]
Much to the delight of HoN players everywhere.

I'VE SEEN HOW YOU PLAY LOL!

;)

Game is totally worth it. They add a new hero about once per monthish, there are no game effecting items you can buy (and never will be) and almost all of the vanity items can be bought simply by playing. I've probably logged close to 80 hours since I picked it up when it was $10 over the holidays, and even more back when it was in beta.

It is totally NOT worth it if comparing it to LOL

I couldnt even get into the gameplay that much because the graphics are the most confusing thing ever. That mini-map is horrible!!!! It is hard to see and keep track of the champions. And it is even hard to see your champion.

And they have a shop in the middle of the map?? CRAZYYY

And the most confusing shop where you buy items

My rating for HoN: D-

the hon mini-map is confusing? trolling.

lol has a few things going for it, but its pretty universally agreed that the UI is not one of them. the health bars and mana bars of teammates STILL don't update in realtime and the mini-map is the worst of all moba games including war3 dota.

[quote name='Morphx2']Put the maps side by side and ask someone which is better

LOL mini-map will win by FAAAR[/QUOTE]
23moin9.png

Pros and Cons of LoL Map:
Pros-
+Less information displayed makes it easier for new players.
+Hero portraits on map let you know which particular hero is where.
+Two colors makes it easy to distinguish friendly from enemy structures and minions.
+Right clicking a location shows a white path which is the path your hero will take to said location.

Cons-
-Less information displayed means the map is less useful.
-Hero portraits on the map are massive compared to other icons and obscure other information.
-Hero portraits on the map are only distinguished from the enemy by a very small ring of color making it difficult to tell which hero is on which team with a glance at the map.
-Colorblind? You're fucked. Red and green only option.
-Due to style the map is drawn in it is more difficult to see paths using the minimap.
-Due to... I don't even fucking know, the edges of the map are not displayed on the minimap. This means when you're standing in a base or near the edge of the map, the icons will not appear on the minimap making it very easy to lose track of your own team.

Pros and Cons of HoN Map:
Pros-
+Able to customize pretty much everything about the minimap via mods. Don't like it how it is? Change it how YOU like it.
+Provides much more information in general.
+Heroes are assigned their own colored orb, a unique color for every hero making it easy to tell mirrored heroes apart.
+Option to change between color modes on the map (one mode makes all enemy units a single color instead of unique colors if you prefer that style.)
+Creep camps are shown with an orb indicating their difficulty (yellow easy, orange medium, red hard)
+Paths are very clearly defined due to map's style.
+Small icons give you the information you need with a glance without obscuring other information.

Cons-
-More information means more learning on the part of the player initially. Not new player friendly.
-Impossible to tell which specific hero is being shown on the map if you don't remember that player's color (Applies to default map, not a modded map with hero icons.)

I think it is appropriate to compare the games to Mac vs. PC.
One is a streamlined game meant for people who just want something easy to pickup and play without fiddling, don't need to know anything about moba games before playing.
The other is a deeper game with tons of customization if you're willing to put in the time.
However, with customization comes the ability to choose what you want the game to look like and for me and most people, Choice>No Choice.

[quote name='Clak']I really wish they'd do a Savage 3, played the hell out of the first 2.[/QUOTE]

Savage 1 and 2 are great. It's amazing how packed those servers are these days.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']What? It sits around 25-40k a day.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the same thing. I just came from playing some S2 today but forget to take the screenshot.

[quote name='Megazell']I was going to say the same thing. I just came from playing some S2 today but forget to take the screenshot.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I was referring to HoN. I don't know if Savage has quite as many as HoN, but it's far far far from dead. There's usually 10-20 30+ player servers.

I gotta start playing that game again, it's probably my favorite freeware out there.

I didn't like S2 as much as the first, but they were both great. I remember buying S2 and then shortly after that it went free, was kinda pissed, but they deserved my money honestly.

i used to play beta (before the gold system was implemented) can any one of you just give me a quick sum up of the gold system? is it a system the rewards users who spend more money on to S2? What are your thoughts of the gold coin system?

-Thanks

[quote name='gamerpro4000']i used to play beta (before the gold system was implemented) can any one of you just give me a quick sum up of the gold system? is it a system the rewards users who spend more money on to S2? What are your thoughts of the gold coin system?

-Thanks[/QUOTE]

It's a pretty fair system. You get minor amounts of coins for playing matches, whether you win or lose, and then get extra coins for performing well in a game (Or reaching milestones like 100 games won, 100 wards placed etc.)

Or you can circumvent that system by throwing down some cash for coins. You get gold coins for paying ones, silver for earned ones. Some items have different prices or cannot be bought with silver coins.

The items you can buy are 100% vanity. Icons, alternate skins/models for heroes, announcer packs (New voice for first blood, annihilation etc.) and a few other things. The only 2 items that can only be bought with gold coins are the Duke Nukem announcer pack (Because they had to hire John St. John who probably costs a pretty penny) and the support Japan icon which is because a few weeks back, if you bought gold coins, they donated a % of profits.

All in all, I like the system. It gives you a nice little bonus for playing the game a fair amount and doesn't really effect it. I just hope they keep it fair and don't offer to sell heroes, but they've promised before they would never charge for gameplay changes.

bread's done
Back