Heroes of Ruin 3DS - Square Enix

utopianmachine

Nintendo Fangirl
Feedback
241 (100%)
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/h...2011/05/31/square-reveals-heroes-of-ruin.aspx

“Using the Nintendo 3DS’ StreetPass and SpotPass functionality, Heroes of Ruin will offer extensive multiplayer elements,” said Mona Hamilton, VP of marketing and public relations, Square Enix, Inc. “We hope to create a community of Heroes of Ruin fans who play well beyond the single-player campaign and experience the story in completely new ways.”

One of those ways is through a Traders' Network, which uses the StreetPass to let players buy and sell excess loot. On the SpotPass front, adventurers who access special Wi-Fi hotspots will be able to snag special items and unique challenges. Daily challenges will also be offered through the game's community website.

Square Enix says that Heroes of Ruin will support drop-in/drop-out co-op. It'll be playable at next week's E3, so check back then for our hands-on impressions."

Last edited by a moderator:
Some pictures of Heroes of Ruin.

tba-heroes-of-ruin-20110527052732101_640w.jpg

heroes-of-ruin-20110531093719261_640w.jpg

heroes-of-ruin-20110531093720152_640w.jpg

Yeah, heavy use of Streetpass stuff is not such a great thing here. It's good in theory. At least with the 3DS you aren't limited to connecting with people who have the game in the system like with the DS (thinking of DQ IX for example). Nintendo made up for that a bit with the DQ IX meetups at Best Buy. I was actually able to get a ton of maps and characters that way - but that was sort of the exception as the game was so popular.

But in any case I will definitely be keeping an eye on this game as it is the sort of thing I'd probably have gotten for the DS anyway. That it is a 3DS game makes it all the better (I still need something to play on that sucker ;)).

Someone had a streetpass meetup here yesterday and it consisted of me and one other person so this console has obviously not been adopted here yet. It doesn't help that there aren't any demo stations in my immediate area so people still don't know what the 3DS is yet. I expect adoption rates for the 3DS to go up considerably by Xmas since people will buy anything that the kids don't have yet. I wasn't able to hit the Best Buy event since they cancelled it in my area luckily I called the store before leaving for it.

So now if I want to get the in-game items on games like DQIX I either have to spend big bucks to go to an anime convention (the person I met yesterday said he got like 100 hits on DQ at otakon) or make special arrangements to meet people in public who have the games.

So far Street Fighter Streetpass works because that like the only game people own. I was able to get a bunch of tag at con. Not sure how B or C list game like this is going to work.

bread's done
Back