Hesitation regarding Final Fantasy Type 0 HD

chubbyninja1319

CAGiversary!
I'm an old Final Fantasy fan, going back to the SNES. The series lost me at XI and I tried like heck to love XIII, but in the end, It didn't live up to my hopes. So, I've moved on from the series for the most part, but I miss how epic each new FF release was, the great music and how each game introduced these great characters.

So, I was happy when the FFXV trailers came out and looked really good. Now, the issue. I had only remote interest in Type 0 HD, but in order to get the XV demo......Type 0 must be bought (preordered, in fact).

I've watched a bunch of previews and trailers, read previews and looked at the screenshots. I am having a hard time mustering up a lot of excitement for Type 0. Anyone else in this boat? If so, are you still buying the game just to get the demo?

Or, if you've played the original version on import PSP, any opinions?

I like older FFs too but the XV honestly looks like XIII with a car and more dudes. 

If you wanna play the demo, I'll bet there will be tons of the codes listed on eBay and you'll probably be able get them for a couple of bucks. 

Well I really enjoyed Crisis Core, and this game is suppose to be a better game with similar system.  I am pretty excite since this will be the PS4 game I am getting for the year

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an old Final Fantasy fan, going back to the SNES. The series lost me at XI and I tried like heck to love XIII, but in the end, It didn't live up to my hopes. So, I've moved on from the series for the most part, but I miss how epic each new FF release was, the great music and how each game introduced these great characters.

So, I was happy when the FFXV trailers came out and looked really good. Now, the issue. I had only remote interest in Type 0 HD, but in order to get the XV demo......Type 0 must be bought (preordered, in fact).

I've watched a bunch of previews and trailers, read previews and looked at the screenshots. I am having a hard time mustering up a lot of excitement for Type 0. Anyone else in this boat? If so, are you still buying the game just to get the demo?

Or, if you've played the original version on import PSP, any opinions?
I imported the PSP version, and I thought it was really good. The only issue I had was an occasional framerate drop, but that shouldn't be a problem on the new consoles.

Don't worry this game is a good game with a solid story and fun gameplay; it is nothing like the train wreck that FF XIII and the rest of the trilogy are.

I imported the PSP version, and I thought it was really good. The only issue I had was an occasional framerate drop, but that shouldn't be a problem on the new consoles.

Don't worry this game is a good game with a solid story and fun gameplay; it is nothing like the train wreck that FF XIII and the rest of the trilogy are.
I needed to hear this

Thank you

I like older FFs too but the XV honestly looks like XIII with a car and more dudes.

If you wanna play the demo, I'll bet there will be tons of the codes listed on eBay and you'll probably be able get them for a couple of bucks.

I think the demo is going to be around $30 plus on ebay right when it comes out due to interest. Just a hunch. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, thanks for your input. "Solid story" is what I wanted to hear. I've heard the game can be frustratingly difficult, any thoughts on that?

Yeah, thanks for your input. "Solid story" is what I wanted to hear. I've heard the game can be frustratingly difficult, any thoughts on that?
I haven't played the PSP original but Square says they've adjusted/improved the camera in the HD version, and supposedly that was the biggest source of frustration.

Already preordered the LE for this. I seem to be one of the few old-school FF fans (started with 1 on the NES) who loves the newer games too (XII is my favorite in the series) including the Lightning Saga.

Type-0's story is anything but solid. It's kind of scattershot. Not much you can do when you have 14 characters, but even the main beats are pretty meh. Plus it has all the l'cie crap that nobody liked from the XIII series (I'm indifferent towards it).

The gameplay is fun (the rts-esque overworld battles are stupid, but infrequent), but revolves too much around the one hit kill mechanic. Changing party members is a chore (only at save spots and whenever one dies) and most spells kind of just don't matter. Each member is unique though and makes playing all of them pretty fun, but there are clearly some that are much more powerful than others due to their unique skill or attack chain. Also, the party levels up separately so if you're not careful you can put yourself in a corner where you only have access to your under-leveled characters as it's very easy to have a misplay and have a character die since there is no pausing when using items and you can only have a single item mapped at a time. I didn't have that big of a problem with this, but it could be a turn-off for some.

The side quest system is abysmal, as you're only allowed to hold one at a time and the game is based around timed actions until the next story beat. Going to the world map for instance takes up your time. There is side story stuff locked behind all this that is easy to miss and from what I understand, it takes up to three playthroughs to get/see everything.

Honestly, if they fix a lot of the annoying and tedious stuff in this game, it'll probably be worth it, but if they just release a HD version of the same game, I would only recommend it if you're looking for a mediocre experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the demo is going to be around $30 plus on ebay right when it comes out due to interest. Just a hunch. Hope I'm wrong.

I didn't think it was really difficult, like Ryuukishi said the camera is annoying, but I got used to it after a while, but if they fix it in the HD version, then it won't be an issue at all.

Well I really enjoyed Crisis Core, and this game is suppose to be a better game with similar system. I am pretty excite since this will be the PS4 game I am getting for the year
you will love this game then, if you really enjoyed crisis core.

I didn't realize the CE was available at best buy. I'm a real sucker for collectors editions and soundtracks, and with GCU......I might have to get it.

I do like CE's but this one really wasn't for me.  I am not into manga at all, I think i'm over artbooks and as cool as steelbooks are, I prefer a very uniform order to my game shelf.  And, I figure I can find the complete soundtrack online somewhere.  So, the CE being sold out is okay with me.  I ended up pre-ordering the day one edition from best buy with GCU and $10 in rewards, so it came to $40. 

Thanks to everyone for taking part in the discussion.  If there is news or interesting info that comes out, we can keep this thread going. 

I do like CE's but this one really wasn't for me. I am not into manga at all, I think i'm over artbooks and as cool as steelbooks are, I prefer a very uniform order to my game shelf. And, I figure I can find the complete soundtrack online somewhere. So, the CE being sold out is okay with me. I ended up pre-ordering the day one edition from best buy with GCU and $10 in rewards, so it came to $40.

Thanks to everyone for taking part in the discussion. If there is news or interesting info that comes out, we can keep this thread going.
i got tons of flip money to spend, so i doesn't really affect me. now, if i had to pay with real cash, i wouldn't get it

did you preorder the CE like a true fan?
I preordered it and figured if it ended up being something I didn't want I could just cancel it.

I love art books so for me the price with it was ok. I just wasn't sure how the game was. After 13 I'm very hesitant with FF nos

bread's done
Back