Hey guys, please help me decide what to do

darkness12

CAG Veteran
Okay, so this is my situation right now. I have an Xbox 360 Pro with two video games, CoD6 and Madden 10. So far so good, Xbox live is nice but I'm having second thoughts.

The following are what I'm thinking of doing at this point.

1) Keep 360, stick with Microsoft and buy a few more games.

2) Get a PS3. Either buy a used 20gb or 60gb version for backwards compatability (will run me about 200-350ish new or used), then upgrade the memory myself.

3) Wait for a holiday or black friday deal on a PS3 slim. Possibly upgrade memory later on.

It's a hard decision for a number of reasons. I have mixed feelings with Xbox 360 vs PS3 to begin with so that alone makes this suck.

I feel my friends are split with 360 and PS3 so it's hard to use that as a factor, although it seems lately more and more people are getting a PS3.

Price wise, selling my 360 and buying a PS3 seems the best. Money isn't a factor with online play, only thing I really will be paying for is new video games and possibly a Netflix subscription.

Video game wise is hard as well. For the most part the games are the same but there are some exclusives on both sides that are nice. Left for Dead 2 is one that comes to mind, but I feel its not a big deal since I can get it for the computer (i have a great comp). Most of the bigger games come out for both consoles anyways.

Even after all that, if I decide on the PS3 I'm not sure if I should go for backwards comp. or not. I'm not sure of the difference between YLOD in the new slim PS3's and the older models. Also, from what I've seen, none of the holiday prices for a new PS3 will have a price drop; just more free games which I'd have to sell. Idk how pricing works but I'd imagine it'd be hard to sell the games for full price knowing many others will be doing the same.

I appreciate all poll votes and posts supporting your decision. I'd appreciate unbias'nes but i know not everyone has both consoles so all opinions are appreciated.

Save the money and keep your 360 while buying a new ps3, that way you will be able to play which ever you want? Couldn't tell you which one to pick if you just could have one.

When I had to choose I looked at it like this: Do I want to be able to talk to my friends while they aren't playing games with me?

Since I do, I chose a 360 the first time around. I'm not really sure if that'll influence your decision that much, but it's all that I can really come up with. I love both systems.

[quote name='jman619']You should go with what you like best instead of listening to other people, and stop making a thread about it. It just turns into a flame war.[/QUOTE]

This. It's pretty much inevitable--though CAG is better about fanboy nonsense than most forums.

There's really no info you can't easily get on your own to make the decision which should be based on (in no particular order):

-Which has the most exclusive games you want to play?

-Do you have a preference among Xbox Live or PSN (more friends on one, party chat, cross game invites etc.)?

-Do you prefer one controller over the other?

-Do you want a blu ray player (if you don't already have one)?

Better to research those on your own, than get biased opinions on the topic on a game forum.

You shouldn't ask this question to other people, they are just going to tell you what they like, which may not be what you like. I you see more games that you want to play on the PS3 then get a PS3.

I personal pick a console based on games what the exclusives are. The system that has the ones i want i buy. If i had the time and the money i would just get all three.

by the way i voted for 360

Stick with the 360 if you're happy with it. Chances are, if you do move to the PS3, you'll end up wanting 360 again.

I used to be a 360 supporter until all the BS problems I had with it and getting it repaired by MS. I moved to the PS3 about a year ago and don't regret my decision but if I didn't have any issues with my 360, I probably would've never gotten a PS3. My 360 still half-works (I'll keep it until it dies) so maybe I don't feel at loss since I can still play any 360 exclusives.

Wait until you can afford to buy a Ps3 without selling your 360. Both consoles have some nice exclusives that are worth owning the system for.

As others have said it comes down to the exclusives. If you really want the ps3 ones buy a ps3 if you don't keep the 360. Since you have a nice PC I would get a ps3 and sell the 360(since most of the 360 titles end up on PC). Honestly, I would sell my 360 if my PC could play newer titles.

Just go with whichever has the most exclusives you prefer, if you have to only have one. (Or Blu Ray might be a consideration for you too.)

Sounds like you're leaning towards the PS3, so that works fine if it's got the must-have exclusives for you. Can't really go wrong with either.

There will be pretty decent Black Friday sales on the PS3 slim. Go for that. A lot (not all, but a lot) of the better Xbox games are also on PC/PS3. The PS3 actually has a surprising amount of interesting exclusives. If not for the high failure rate/overpriced accessories, I would say hold on to the 360.

You already have the 360... so why not just keep it and play the games you like on it? It seems strange to hold it for debate when you don't seem to have strnog conviction either way, yet already own one of the systems.

Your initial post gives very little reason as to why you would switch consoles.

Since you already have a 360, you might as well stay with the 360 unless there's a substantiated urge to have a PS3. Since you're on CAG, you should know where the best deals are to get XBox Live subscriptions, generally for around $30. That's very affordable given the services provided. And if you're getting Netflix, then why wouldn't you stay with Live for that service? Unless the PS3 recently added a Netflix feature. I'm not up to date on that.

But anyway, I'm an owner of both consoles, and since there's no real reason for you to switch... don't. The longer you wait, the cheaper something will be down the road.

buy a wii and a psp and link them together to create a time machine to go back into time and stop ryan seacrest from ever being born...................

[quote name='GuardianE']Unless the PS3 recently added a Netflix feature. I'm not up to date on that.
[/QUOTE]

They did. It's apparently a little less convenient as you have to request a free blu ray disc adn put it in the console to access the service as it works through Blu Ray Live. And apparently the menus are subsequently a little laggy.

But the service is there with the same selection and video quality as any other machine from what I've read. Just the hassle of having to have the Netflix disc in the PS3 to access the service. But, conversely, you have to pay for Xbox Live Gold to use it on the 360 so it's a tradeoff.

Integration into the PS3 is coming next year, so the work around is just from now until whenever that comes. (I'll be getting the disc once I raise my Netflix account higher again. Don't stream stuff much, but it'll be nice to be able to do it in a second room, given I don't have Gold on my Xbox.)

I voted buy a slim. I can say that I have both the 360 and ps3. I will also admit Im all about looks as far as games go(as long as they dont suck). Most games look better on the 360(IMO) although the Ps3 is looking good recently(COD6 looks same to me). I have recently decided to get rid of the 360 now that ps3 seems to be coming around and it has free online. Plus blu ray looks awesome so its an all in one.

ps3/360 they're both the same. comparing both, the 360 is better then the ps3 because there are more games. the only problem with the 360 over the ps3 is the paid online and the reliability. the 360 is paid online and the ps3 is free. the ps3 has a better hardware production while the 360 is still problematic.

so if you consider only games, then stick with the 360. however, if you don't mind paying for online and having a subpar hardware machine, then stick with the 360. if you are mindful of the other parts of the 360, then consider the ps3.

i bought the ps3 over the 360 because of hardware reliability. having a hardware where it can be broken easily is not a good thing on my part. so i ditch the 360 and got a ps3.

if you get a ps3, you don't necessarily have to get a backward compatible console. there are enough ps3 games to be occupied that you don't need to worry about ps2 games. but if you do worry, try to get a partial compatible ps3, like the 80gb version as it's cheaper and more abundant.

Get a new PS3 slim. The 360 is a ripoff in just about every conceivable way (IMO).

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back