Hey, it's another Ebay thread by a disgruntled seller

[quote name='SEH']Total bullshit dude. Their ruling is completely unfair. I really hope BBB can do something for you, but from my past experiences, they never really get anything accomplished.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read if you file a complaint with the BBB and the amount you want to be reimbursed for is less than $100 , you will be credited without out much conflict. That being said I was unfairly charged a fee of $16 which I contacted the BBB about , it's been 2 weeks and haven't heard anything yet. Paypal is also holding $117 which was supposed to be released to me 3 weeks ago, they don't respond to my emails so I have to call them now.

Hate to be a necrobumper, but here is an update from the BBB claim I made (sure was unexpected at this point)
Hello Anthony Goodwin, I apologize for the delay in my response to your BBB complaint. I understand that this has been a frustrating experience for you, and appreciate your patience. Millions of transactions are completed successfully every day, and I am sorry to hear that was not the case in your situation. Anthony, upon review of your account I found that on Oct-22-10 your buyer eormaza opened a claim against you stating the item he won was not as described in your listing. I understand that you have a “no return” policy. However, if an item is not as described and misrepresented we will allow the buyers 45 days to file a claim and over rule your return policy. Once a claim of misrepresentation has been made it will nullify your return policy. Your buyer stated the camera did not work once it was received, and you referred him to the manufacturer for assistance. The buyer thought he was purchasing a brand new working camera, and as such, denied your request to use the warranty that came with the camera. As no resolution was found you escalated the case for customer support to make a decision. We asked that the buyer return the item as it was not as described. Once the buyer uploaded tracking information showing the item was returned to you, he would receive a refund. On Oct-30-10 tracking showed that you received the item and the buyer received a full refund.
Still not getting it.jpg
Until I read this part, that is.
The same day you appealed the case stating that the camera was no longer brand new and you felt it was working properly. Anthony, I know that it is unfair to have the buyer receive a refund and in turn you receive an item that is no longer brand new. As such, I have credited $25.00 back to your account which should appear in the next 24 hours. I am also sending a $25.00 gift card in the mail to you which should arrive in 5 – 7 days. I have credited back the Final Value Fees for the transaction as well. I hope this solution is agreeable. It will enable you to recover your costs and still make money if you decide to resell the item. I hope the information has been helpful. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, Terri eBay Office of the President
I'm... surprised. This is very good treatment shown to an eBay seller. Huh.

I have never been disappointed in getting my issues as a seller resolved, but I am outraged.

Once again, I wish I was treated like crap just as FoS has so I can get free gift cards and free credit back.

Curse my perfectly great experience with ebay.

DAMNIT TO HELL!

red-panda-783315.jpg

So I sold a DS lite on ebay saying it was brand new when I bought it at Radio Shack. Buyer buys it but wants a refund because the seal had already been opened from Radio Shack. I have no returns on my offer but they want a refund. Am I going to hell with this in the next few days?

[quote name='snowmint']So I sold a DS lite on ebay saying it was brand new when I bought it at Radio Shack. Buyer buys it but wants a refund because the seal had already been opened from Radio Shack. I have no returns on my offer but they want a refund. Am I going to hell with this in the next few days?[/QUOTE]

Probably, if they file a claim with PayPal and say that it's "not as described" then it won't matter what you put about refunds in your description.

[quote name='Rozz']Probably, if they file a claim with PayPal and say that it's "not as described" then it won't matter what you put about refunds in your description.[/QUOTE]
Yep. :) It's probably best to just accept the refund immediately so the buyer doesn't get pissed and leave you a negative. It sucks, but "no returns" truly doesn't mean anything at all. In fact I'm thinking of switching my returns policy to accept returns (so I can charge a restocking fee to jerks who are abusing the system and so that my sales may increase a bit)
But... then again, that's what exactly what Ebay wants. So I won't do that.

[quote name='snowmint']So I sold a DS lite on ebay saying it was brand new when I bought it at Radio Shack. Buyer buys it but wants a refund because the seal had already been opened from Radio Shack. I have no returns on my offer but they want a refund. Am I going to hell with this in the next few days?[/QUOTE]

did you disclose that it was not sealed?

I didn't think it would matter. I didn't think a buyer would be so picky about it. The item is basically new as it was never played but I can understand what the buyer might be thinking.

Yeah, that is a pretty bad thing to not disclose. We could always sa, "What if Gamestop opened up an eBay account and sold their display copies as brand new?" Obviously they would get a lot negatives.

[quote name='snowmint']I didn't think it would matter. I didn't think a buyer would be so picky about it. The item is basically new as it was never played but I can understand what the buyer might be thinking.[/QUOTE]

LOL, that's kind of a big deal. Imagine if the buyer was intending to use it as a gift. Sure, it may be in pristine condition but the seal being broken will look corny to the person receiving the gift, like the buyer wanted to play the DS himself first or something.

[quote name='JoshTX']LOL, that's kind of a big deal. Imagine if the buyer was intending to use it as a gift. Sure, it may be in pristine condition but the seal being broken will look corny to the person receiving the gift, like the buyer wanted to play the DS himself first or something.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't even have to be a gift. If I bought a new one and it came unsealed, I'd assume it is not new so why did I pay new price for it?

[quote name='Darrith']I would like to just add something positive to this thread that is relevant to Ebay. There are some really cool sellers out there:

ibFD2E.PNG

Got it in the mail today and it is mint. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Nice catch.

[quote name='mission42']It doesn't even have to be a gift. If I bought a new one and it came unsealed, I'd assume it is not new so why did I pay new price for it?[/QUOTE]

True, but I was trying to put it into a scenario that might have given him some perspective.

[quote name='Darrith']I would like to just add something positive to this thread that is relevant to Ebay. There are some really cool sellers out there:

ibFD2E.PNG

Got it in the mail today and it is mint. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Nice! I picked up a couple of DQ V's off eBay for similar prices over the past few months :cool: Now I just have to finish DQ IX, start and finish DQ IV and then I can play it...!

[quote name='snowmint']You guys are right but they paid 100 and got free shipping so I hope they reconsider.[/QUOTE]

Listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Nintendo-DS-Lite-Cobalt-Black-/290520179289

[quote name='"from the listing"']
Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details[/QUOTE]

First off, $100 != $110.

Secondly, you screwed yourself. If you had disclosed that the seal was broken you would be ok right now, but you didn't. Did you open it to make sure that it was _really_ brand new?

You tried to make a few extra bucks and lost out. Sorry.

Edited to add that it's somewhat ironic that you are complaining in this thread. Sellers that don't list accurately are one of the reasons that eBay tends to side with buyers.

Sonic - Awesome news for you, sadly the rest of us don't have the time/patience to get more out of eBay for the situation.

Are we sure the DQVs are legit?

When Paypal gives the buyer a refund and you have already transfered the funds out of your account, does it go negative or do they take it from your bank account on file?

[quote name='sgand']When Paypal gives the buyer a refund and you have already transfered the funds out of your account, does it go negative or do they take it from your bank account on file?[/QUOTE]

I believe the answer is "both". First your PayPal account would go negative and then they make it whole by taking it from your bank account on file. If there aren't enough funds in the bank account, they'll go to your secondary funding source if you have one registered.

I've even had a situation of going negative where a buyer disputed the receipt of an item. PayPal put a hold on the transaction funds while the dispute was being researched. If there aren't enough funds to cover the hold, they take your PayPal account negative while the dispute is in process. The result is that I couldn't use my PayPal account or my PayPal debit card unless I wanted to transfer enough funds in to take the account to a zero or positive status. Of course, that fund transfer from my bank account would have taken exactly as long as the dispute did; at which point, I wouldn't have needed the funds after winning the dispute.

I'm probably one of the few who don't have many complaints about being treated poorly by eBay or PayPal, but the scenario above was beyond annoying.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']
Are we sure the DQVs are legit?[/QUOTE]

Yeah this one is legit; I inspect all my games as they come in. This was just a seller who obviously had no idea of the value of the game.

Getting annoyed by the "seller can't leave negative feedback" rule. I think someone won an auction of mine with a brand new account just to get it off of Ebay so they could sell theirs.

And there's another auction where the person who won it has no problem communicating with me for what he wants that was in the auction, but he won't pay despite all the invoices I've sent him all week long!!! :bomb:

Of course, the biggest idiot I had to endure was someone who claimed I sold him a bootleg DVD because of the case it came in even though it's exactly what you find in stores. I even told him to go to the store and look for himself but he wouldn't.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Getting annoyed by the "seller can't leave negative feedback" rule. I think someone won an auction of mine with a brand new account just to get it off of Ebay so they could sell theirs.

And there's another auction where the person who won it has no problem communicating with me for what he wants that was in the auction, but he won't pay despite all the invoices I've sent him all week long!!! :bomb:

Of course, the biggest idiot I had to endure was someone who claimed I sold him a bootleg DVD because of the case it came in even though it's exactly what you find in stores. I even told him to go to the store and look for himself but he wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it's idiots like that that cause me to refuse refunds except in special cases. All my auctions now clearly state what you see is what you get, the item is as described when it leaves my posession, any damage caused by the postal service or anyone else who isn't me is not my problem. Ask before you bid, no refunds. I haven't had any problems as all since then, and I immediately drain my Paypal account every time I get a payment. If anyone tried to file a claim against me and Paypal saw fit to take funds directly out of my bank account without my permission, I would take it up with my bank, not Paypal, and the Bank would recover the money.

[quote name='david12795']i have heard how the buyer's protection has been screwing all the sellers over.[/QUOTE]

I was skeptical of this but I fell victim to it recently while selling my girlfriend's iPhone.

This is reason #1 of why I don't sell anything with more than $40-$50 value on eBay.

open the package from the bottom when you get it, destroy it, put it back in the package, seal it up and then shoot a video of you opening it and finding the camera destroyed. problem solved.

he didnt like how it worked. boohoo he shoulda went to the store and bought one not oh ill find it cheaper, meh this sucks i dont like it, i want my money.

[quote name='spmahn']Honestly, it's idiots like that that cause me to refuse refunds [/QUOTE]

You can't refuse refunds ebay will force it on you.

[quote name='TiKi2']You can't refuse refunds ebay will force it on you.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Some dick bought a sealed Blu-ray from me and claimed it wasn't 'perfectly mint' because he's a 'collector' and I had to return it. When I got it, it was PERFECTLY MINT. I blocked him from every bidding on my stuff again.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yep. Some dick bought a sealed Blu-ray from me and claimed it wasn't 'perfectly mint' because he's a 'collector' and I had to return it. When I got it, it was PERFECTLY MINT. I blocked him from every bidding on my stuff again.[/QUOTE]

Once someone got pissed at me because they bought a sealed game with y-folds and the factory security seal on top and when they opened it they said it didn't "smell new" so they said that I resealed it. However they had a change of heart a few days later and even gave me positive feedback....

I got suspended for 7 days for selling beta codes. So gay! I bought something and can't pay for the damn thing now!

[quote name='Rozz']Once someone got pissed at me because they bought a sealed game with y-folds and the factory security seal on top and when they opened it they said it didn't "smell new" so they said that I resealed it. However they had a change of heart a few days later and even gave me positive feedback....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he said I resealed it even though it came directly from the studio and the shrinkwrap can't be 'faked' by a human. I just gave him a refund because eBay will just do it anyway.

So is this what Ebay has come to? The buyers can get away with whatever crap they want to? Guy wins my auction, never pays, and there are no consequences whatsoever because you can't point out what he did to the Ebay community?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yep. Some dick bought a sealed Blu-ray from me and claimed it wasn't 'perfectly mint' because he's a 'collector' and I had to return it. When I got it, it was PERFECTLY MINT. I blocked him from every bidding on my stuff again.[/QUOTE]

eBay gives you an option when you set up your auction as to whether or not you accept refunds. What happens if you click yes like I do, and someone still wants a refund? I've never had it come up yet, but when I say no refunds, I mean no refunds. I stand by my merchandise, and if someone wants to be a pain in the ass, it's too bad. Would eBay force the refund on you? What if you refuse? If you have no money in your Paypal account, they have no authority to withdrawal funds directly out of your bank account without authorization, and any bank worth their weight would allow you to dispute. You could even place an ACH stop directly on your bank account preventing Paypal from directly withdrawing funds from your bank account in the first place.

[quote name='spmahn']eBay gives you an option when you set up your auction as to whether or not you accept refunds. What happens if you click yes like I do, and someone still wants a refund? I've never had it come up yet, but when I say no refunds, I mean no refunds. I stand by my merchandise, and if someone wants to be a pain in the ass, it's too bad. Would eBay force the refund on you? What if you refuse? If you have no money in your Paypal account, they have no authority to withdrawal funds directly out of your bank account without authorization, and any bank worth their weight would allow you to dispute. You could even place an ACH stop directly on your bank account preventing Paypal from directly withdrawing funds from your bank account in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Whatever your personal policy on returns is, you are still obligated to accurately describe all items you sell, and that is where people can still screw with you. So, take for instance some of the examples above, where people sold brand-new, sealed games. The buyers can claim that the item was resealed, or that the packaging was not perfect. It can get even dicier when you're talking about used items, especially collectible stuff, like toys. You need to describe everything about the item and make sure the buyer is satisfied with the condition. If not, they can get eBay to force you to accept a return.

As far as cutting eBay and PayPal off from ways to collect on a debt, don't. It's not worth it. If you owe a company money, they will come after you. And if you don't cooperate with them, they will gladly turn your case over to a debt collector. And they are some of the lowest form of scum on this planet. They will call you, e-mail you, and send you snail mail on a scale that borders on harassment. They will more than likely also report you to one or more of the credit unions and having a debt, even a small one, can knock major points off of your credit score.

Does it pretty much mean nothing when you write payment is expected within ___ hours of auction end?

I just had a new user pay 10 days after the auction ended with no response to the multiple messages I sent or the unpaid item claim I made. They just paid one day before I was able to close the case.

Can you block users with less than a certain amount of feedback? I'm still new to selling stuff, so I don't know all the ins and outs of it.

[quote name='blindinglights']Does it pretty much mean nothing when you write payment is expected within ___ hours of auction end?

I just had a new user pay 10 days after the auction ended with no response to the multiple messages I sent or the unpaid item claim I made. They just paid one day before I was able to close the case.

Can you block users with less than a certain amount of feedback? I'm still new to selling stuff, so I don't know all the ins and outs of it.[/QUOTE]

This pisses me off too. I am still awaiting payment on 4 items I sold this past Wednesday, and it's especially aggravating because that usually means multiple trips to the post office which I may or may not be able to make on time since I work 9-5 monday through friday. You can block anyone you want on eBay, but if you get too restrictive, it just hurts you. I think currently I have my auctions set to block bidders with zero or negative feedback, and anyone who has more than two unpaid item strikes. I haven't had problems with non paying bidders in a while...

I only sell with fixed price and immediate payment required. I was tired of people winning auctions and then telling me they changed their mind and don't want the item anymore.

It helps if you do not list anything as "like new" because ebay's description of like new is basically an item that does not have any marks or scratches on it. A buyer can hit you if a game case has marks or scratches on it if you list an item in like new condition. As we all know its virtually impossible to deliver a "like new" game or dvd according to ebay's description because when you buy games from a store there is usually a dent or 2 in the case especially if you are purchasing off gamestop's shelves where they leave game cases out. Just use one of the other descriptions, you won't lose any money on the auction for listing a game or dvd as "good" or "very good".

I guess I'm lucky that no one has tried to play games with me yet, but I'm frustrated that no buyers ever bother to leave me feedback. I send out everything within a day, well packaged, etc., and still only get feedback from one out of every six buyers.

Makes me think "Why bother?" Just wait a week like most sellers I buy from, make the same lame excuse such as "Sorry, dude, I had a bunch of classes. I'll definitely send your package this weekend." Not like I'd lose out on feedback, though then they'd probably take the effort to leave it.

I encounter a lot of sellers who don't leave me feedback when I buy stuff. I just message them and say don't forget to leave me feedback and they always do.

[quote name='salty tbone']I guess I'm lucky that no one has tried to play games with me yet, but I'm frustrated that no buyers ever bother to leave me feedback. I send out everything within a day, well packaged, etc., and still only get feedback from one out of every six buyers.

Makes me think "Why bother?" Just wait a week like most sellers I buy from, make the same lame excuse such as "Sorry, dude, I had a bunch of classes. I'll definitely send your package this weekend." Not like I'd lose out on feedback, though then they'd probably take the effort to leave it.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that's what people do. Be glad you're not on Amazon. My feedback rate on Amazon is about 7%, whilst on eBay I get about 58%.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Unfortunately, that's what people do. Be glad you're not on Amazon. My feedback rate on Amazon is about 7%, whilst on eBay I get about 58%.[/QUOTE]

Amazon is absolutely brutal for feedback. It sucks that they base things off of it for their perfomance reviews. No feedback should be considered positive on both sites. It is the angry people that tend to leave feedback.

[quote name='schuerm26']Amazon is absolutely brutal for feedback. It sucks that they base things off of it for their perfomance reviews. No feedback should be considered positive on both sites. It is the angry people that tend to leave feedback.[/QUOTE]

That is the truth. My first 2 feedback ratings I got on Amazon were both 1/5 stars because I accidentally listed 2 text books as the wrong version. It was a mistake on my part, and I don't blame them for leaving that rating, but it was quite annoying because I was sitting there with a 1/5 rating after selling close to 70 items total at that time .______. It made selling on Amazon so much harder being rated that poorly. Luckily, I'm up to 86% now, so I can start selling some of my damn text books more easily.

I've only had a couple people try to play games with me in years of ebay selling however it does seem to be getting worse lately (I chalk it up to people just getting more stupid in general). I describe every scratch on every item and put clause like "used merchandise may have other slight damage than is listed here". This seems to cover me from unscrupulous buyers as they don't seem to target listings that are well described with little or no loopholes. I always put a picture of the actual item not a stock photo.

If someone is listing a game in like new condition with no photo and just a stock photo those seem to be the listings that get targeted by buyers looking for free stuff more easily.

You really have to take time to describe everything if you are selling on ebay these days.

If I get a return or a scammer I look at it this way, if I was running a retail store I would probably have to put up with a lot more than 1 return or 1 scammer every few years plus I would have to pay rent to keep the store open and with the way things are around here if I was running a store I wouldn't have very much business at all.

I even ship internationally and I get a lot of international sales, I don't have problems with international buyers like other people do and most of the buyers like what I sell them so it is great. I don't allow sensitive electronics for international shipping for obvious reasons but I do allow video games to be shipped internationally. Without the international buyers I wouldn't have nearly as many sales.

I just had something arrive in one of those thin, flimsy boxes. The case was literally in PIECES. I send the guy and email, he asks how the discs are and says he's been screwed too many times on ebay. Get the fuck out. I'll kill him, I swear lol

bread's done
Back