HGST(Hitachi/Western Digital) 500GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $59.99

wow great deal

more cheaper than rest of the 5400rpm drive. i only mention this cause if a cheaper 5400rpm is available that would be neat. since ps3 only operate at 4200rpm.

[quote name='hoi1ma']wow great deal

more cheaper than rest of the 5400rpm drive. i only mention this cause if a cheaper 5400rpm is available that would be neat. since ps3 only operate at 4200rpm.[/QUOTE]
I have a western digital 7200rpm drive in my PS3 for more than a year and it works fine.

Someone on here mentioned 7200 may heat up your PS3. Eventually, I will upgrade to 1TB. Though, this is 1 of the better HD deals I've seen.

How hard is it to install a new HD in a PS 3?

I need space badly.

FYI - I'm an idiot.

I'm not very good with these things but I was able to do it with my slim a year or two ago.

Biggest nusiance was waiting for everything to transfer. The physical swapping of the drives is simple.

I do remember having a problem getting the new drive to boot correctly. I had to do something to it before it would work properly.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Someone on here mentioned 7200 may heat up your PS3. Eventually, I will upgrade to 1TB. Though, this is 1 of the better HD deals I've seen.[/QUOTE]

I went through a lot of stuff when upgrading mine and found out that this is not the case. In fact, some older 5400 ones run hotter than some newer 7200 ones.

And yeah, the process of upgrading is super-easy. The hardest part is backing everything up. I happened to have an old external USB drive that I just reformatted to do a full backup and restore. If you don't have that, then you need to use some combo of cloud saves, USB flash drive, etc.

[quote name='io']I went through a lot of stuff when upgrading mine and found out that this is not the case. In fact, some older 5400 ones run hotter than some newer 7200 ones.

And yeah, the process of upgrading is super-easy. The hardest part is backing everything up. I happened to have an old external USB drive that I just reformatted to do a full backup and restore. If you don't have that, then you need to use some combo of cloud saves, USB flash drive, etc.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:# I forgot about that 'backing up' part! I will have to come on here, before I do any upgrading, when I am ready!

[quote name='Mako1215']I want a SSD in my PS3[/QUOTE]When the PS3 OS supports TRIM, go for it. When it also supports better than SATA I, go for it.

Otherwise, a fast mechanical HDD will work wonders.

Does backing up to an external drive then restoring to a new hard drive count as the same system?

I know that backups wont let you restore on a different PS3, didnt know if having a different Hard Drive in the same PS3 would have the same effect.

I just put a Seagate 750GB 7200rpm Hybrid SSD drive in my PS3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006P1QXFO

He actually had it on sale last week for 129.00 which is a steal cause this drive sells for 179.00 everywhere else. Anyway I had a 500gb 5400rpm drive in prior, but when playing burnout paradise downloaded from PSN, the game was freezing at random all over the map. Turns out it was the hard drive not able to access the data fast enough. Now with this drive, not only is the issue gone, but things are snappier, from loading saves to load times on content. My point to this story is don't believe people when they say 7200rpm doesn't make a difference blah blah, cause it's false.

Shiat, just buy a 1TB 5400rpm WD from Best Buy for $100. I did a month ago when my current drive needed to be formatted after a 4 hour hang downloading a 14gb R&C game. I'm never looking back now' 750gb still free after installing 97 PSN games

[quote name='dgwillia006']Does backing up to an external drive then restoring to a new hard drive count as the same system?

I know that backups wont let you restore on a different PS3, didnt know if having a different Hard Drive in the same PS3 would have the same effect.[/QUOTE]

Yes it has no effect on your console's authentication with Sony, all your games are still available for re-download, transfer, etc.

I recently upgraded my 160 to a 500gb Seagate Momentus, cost around $70 for that SATA drive, and its working perfectly. The most tedious part was backing up my data onto an external FAT32 formatted HDD, but I had a spare external to do that and it worked great. Going from 160 to 500gb makes a huge difference, not worried about space on the PS3 anymore.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Yes it has no effect on your console's authentication with Sony, all your games are still available for re-download, transfer, etc.

I recently upgraded my 160 to a 500gb Seagate Momentus, cost around $70 for that SATA drive, and its working perfectly. The most tedious part was backing up my data onto an external FAT32 formatted HDD, but I had a spare external to do that and it worked great. Going from 160 to 500gb makes a huge difference, not worried about space on the PS3 anymore.[/QUOTE]

Awesome thanks, i might order this then. With all those free games PS+ has been throwing out lately, my poor 120GB has been packed to the max

[quote name='Umair56']So glad I bought one of these before HD prices went up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and it seems like the HDD makers are keep on keeping the prices up... there definitely doesn't seem to be a supply issue anymore, even though WD and Seagate want you to believe otherwise.

[quote name='htz']I have a western digital 7200rpm drive in my PS3 for more than a year and it works fine.[/QUOTE]

i know im just saying if a 5400rpm drive was also on sale for cheaper than a 7200rpm of the same capacity would be neat.

For those of you that put in a 7200, was it in a slim? I remember Sony claiming that ps3s only took 5400, but that might have been for the original (fat) model.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Does backing up to an external drive then restoring to a new hard drive count as the same system?

I know that backups wont let you restore on a different PS3, didnt know if having a different Hard Drive in the same PS3 would have the same effect.[/QUOTE]

I did this and while all the accounts came back up, the PSN games wouldn't play - I still had to do something with the system to re-register it. All the games worked once I did that.

I got a 750GB. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...keywords=western+digital+750+gb+scorpio+black

I then downloaded every free PS+ game from the beginning of the program as well as everything I had bought over the last 4 years. I barely used 1/3, if that, of the new drive ;). So I really doubt I'll ever have to consider space again for the life of this PS3. I have an older phat system upstairs that is completely full and was considering upgrading it (it is 150 GB now, I think). But I can probably just manage that one by deleting older stuff. My son uses it primary for playing NBA 2K12.

[quote name='io']I did this and while all the accounts came back up, the PSN games wouldn't play - I still had to do something with the system to re-register it. All the games worked once I did that.
[/QUOTE]

Awesome thanks. I guess i'd lose a few of my older accounts then, still beats having to constantly delete and redownload games though

[quote name='PrinnyJ']For those of you that put in a 7200, was it in a slim? I remember Sony claiming that ps3s only took 5400, but that might have been for the original (fat) model.[/QUOTE]

I've got a 7200rpm 320GB on a fat, been working fine the last 3 years.

[quote name='PrinnyJ']For those of you that put in a 7200, was it in a slim? I remember Sony claiming that ps3s only took 5400, but that might have been for the original (fat) model.[/QUOTE]

I upgraded my 120gb slim with a 250gb 7200rpm drive. Pretty sure it's a bit faster than the 5400rpm drive. Not a huge difference though.

bread's done
Back