Hidden DS Gems

Loved rocket slime! ...I dunno about you guys but I bought Sprung for like a dollar a year ago and found it really fun and challenging! Almost like a choose your own adventure but not...

also I really like battles of prince of persia..I'm almost at the end of that one.

I've been wanting something new to play, so I think perhaps it's time to play my copy of Rocket Slime. I've had it for ages and never tried it. All the enthusiasm of recent posts means I'm obviously missing something good. And I do love the Dragon Quest franchise.

[quote name='bluesyncopate']Word Jong has low production values and slightly stiff animation, but these are just nit picks. If you see this one cheap and you love word games, get it. It's extremely good, and better than its PC counterpart. It was hard to find for a while, but it seems pretty common nowadays, especially used.[/QUOTE]

Easily the best word/spelling game on the DS. I've sunk a LOT of hours into Word Jong.

[quote name='bmachine']Easily the best word/spelling game on the DS. I've sunk a LOT of hours into Word Jong.[/QUOTE]

Myself included. I like getting online and having it match me up with folks randomly while doing other activities on the computer. Too bad the Wii version didn't include online play or I would have purchased it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Myself included. I like getting online and having it match me up with folks randomly while doing other activities on the computer. Too bad the Wii version didn't include online play or I would have purchased it.[/QUOTE]

When it first came out I was able to get matched up pretty easily online. It couldn't find any other players last time I tried it, unfortunately.

We should trade friend codes!

[quote name='bmachine']When it first came out I was able to get matched up pretty easily online. It couldn't find any other players last time I tried it, unfortunately.

We should trade friend codes![/QUOTE]

I can find players if I play in the evenings. Daytime, no way.

I'll try to remember to PM you next time I play this one. It'd be nice to meet up with a real person, so to speak, during online play.

Thanks to all the recommendations about Rocket Slime. I started playing it this afternoon and really enjoyed the near-hour I spent with it. I love the style and the humor.

I have Dragon Warrior (maybe put it in the console once or twice) for the NES but other than that, I have never played a DQ game. Still might consider getting into the series as a result of RS. Strange that a spinoff title can do that.

[quote name='DQT']I have Dragon Warrior (maybe put it in the console once or twice) for the NES but other than that, I have never played a DQ game. Still might consider getting into the series as a result of RS. Strange that a spinoff title can do that.[/QUOTE]
Hah, yeah. Rocket Slime was the first Dragon Quest-branded game I ever played, and I loved it.

[quote name='DQT']I have Dragon Warrior (maybe put it in the console once or twice) for the NES but other than that, I have never played a DQ game. Still might consider getting into the series as a result of RS. Strange that a spinoff title can do that.[/QUOTE]

If you like RPGs like old-school Final Fantasy, you'll like Dragon Quest. Granted, all the recently released games are remakes of old games, but they're so great. The storyline is so fleshed out, and with the remakes, they look good too.

For old school fun, if you like Pokemon sort of games, I recommend the Dragon Warrior Monster GBC games. I'm not a fan of the DS version, though.

[quote name='blueshinra']Hah, yeah. Rocket Slime was the first Dragon Quest-branded game I ever played, and I loved it.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. I sold it recently since I couldn't really see myself replaying it, but I loved the time I spent beating it.

Picross DS I purchased it shortly after its release ever since it has been in my DS Lite over 90% of the time. Easily my most played game ever thanks to the addictive online mode. Fun puzzles, downloadable content from Nintendo, free online play and if you get lucky you can download some professional quality puzzles from other players.

I'm surprised no one has said Tingle's Rupeeland. Takes some effort to get it from Europe, but it's a fun game in the Zelda style but not quite as frantic. Many different mechanics, challenges and puzzles. Lots of hidden stuff, too. Very enjoyable.

(I also agree with Hotel Dusk and some others mentioned above.)

Worms 2 Open Warfare

If you have someone to play against regularly online - it's so much fun it's not even fucking funny.

There's so many recs for Hotel Dusk I don't really need to add mine.

But I did search this thread and see that nobody brought up N+? I know its available for a lot of other systems too but I only was able to get it on DS and it was actually a great game.

Ruahrc

[quote name='soonersfan60']I'm surprised no one has said Tingle's Rupeeland. Takes some effort to get it from Europe, but it's a fun game in the Zelda style but not quite as frantic. Many different mechanics, challenges and puzzles. Lots of hidden stuff, too. Very enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Tingle's Rupeeland is a crazy game, zany and enticing. I played a year or so ago, and while I was sucked in for a long while, eventually, the gameplay became too repetitive for me. But I still enjoyed it for a long time. The bodyguard system was really innovative and surprising.

bread's done
Back