Higgs Boson

keithp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Anyone following the news? Pretty exciting stuff if you're into physics. I won't bother posting a link since it's all over the internet. But if someone has a good link to explain Higgs Boson in really layman's terms please post it.

While this is a momentous discovery we still have a longway to go. Now we have to figure out why weak electromagnet force interacts with gravity the way it does and why dark matter and dark enery contribute so much mass to the universe. This is only the beginning, but yes I am incredibly excited.

I'm not excited yet because I don't understand the implications. What could this mean? What is the brass tax significance?

[quote name='Calinks'] What is the brass tax significance?[/QUOTE]
Great, now there's a tax on brass!
On a serious note, I have no idea what the news means. It's like, there're particles....everywhere! Even in particles!

[quote name='pacifickarma']Does this mean we'll be getting transporters or warp drives anytime soon?[/QUOTE]

Probably not getting those until the intelligence explosion happens... If the machines decide to share the technology.

Does this mean I'll get a heat cost reduction and damage increase when I use the Boson Darts in Ghostbusters?

This is pretty damn cool that they found another subatomic particle. But what I'm really sick of is that the media keeps calling it a "God Particle," saying it over and over, with the reports barely giving an explanation of what it really is. The io9 post did help a lot.

They call it that because God forbid the media would use an unsexy, scientific phrase that they'd have to actually explain to people.

bread's done
Back