Hints on getting a good deal on glasses?

tylerh1701

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
So my frames broke on my glasses, I'm thinking about getting the repaired, but I'm also just thinking about getting a new pair of glasses. Unfortunately my work doesn't offer any sort of vision insurance so I'm going to have to pay out of pocket.

So where does everyone else buy their glasses? I checked at JCPenney Optical and Standard Optical (which I think might be a local only company) and I wasn't impressed with their prices. I'm not picky at all on frames, but I do want anti-glare coating. How much should I expect to pay?

All help appreciated!

[quote name='JJSP']Try Coastal Contacts online. Code FIRSTPAIRFREE should work nicely. :)[/QUOTE]

This is what I used. Of course, I also wear contacts during the day and only glasses during the mornings and nights so I didn't care much about brand, etc. My pair has been pretty much durable except for the screw on the right side of the glasses that seems to like to come out every now and then.

[quote name='JJSP']Try Coastal Contacts online. Code FIRSTPAIRFREE should work nicely. :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='AJVtony831']This is what I used. Of course, I also wear contacts during the day and only glasses during the mornings and nights so I didn't care much about brand, etc. My pair has been pretty much durable except for the screw on the right side of the glasses that seems to like to come out every now and then.[/QUOTE]

Never ordered glasses online before? Do you just enter in your prescription? And how do they measure to make sure the glasses fit your head comfortably?

[quote name='tylerh1701']Never ordered glasses online before? Do you just enter in your prescription? And how do they measure to make sure the glasses fit your head comfortably?[/QUOTE]
You just enter the prescription information in. As for them measuring them to fit your head comfortably, that's on you to figure out what size of frames you comfortably wear, presumably the same size as the ones you've been wearing. Once they arrive, you try them on, and if they aren't quite right you either tweak them yourself, or take them into a local shop and ask for an adjustment.

FIRST:
You most likely will need a valid prescription. Odds are if it's more than a year old they won't make your glasses. An exam can be anywhere from $100 up, depending on your doctor. My doctor doesn't take insurance, so it's right at $100 for the exam and contact fitting. A lot of the Walmart stores here have eye doctors that rent space but are not affiliated with Walmart in any way. That's where my doctor is, I've worked with her for over 15 years now and she has been nothing short of excellent.

SECOND:
Generally speaking I go to VisionWorks. I like to put my order in, go have lunch, then pick them up in an hour. They have some nice frames and a lot of lens options as well.

I think the cheapest pair they have is around $100, but they always run a deal where you get 2 pairs for $150 or so. It beats JCP, Sears, and Lenscrafters. Eyemart Express, if you have them is cheap too. Walmart isn't bad on prices.

All in all, it really depends on what you need. I like certain frames, which aren't the rock bottom ones, I get the top of the line lenses that are thinner and lighter than the rest, glare coated, scratch resistant, and everything except the tinting and it cost me around $300 for 2 pair.

Check Walmart though, they have some decent lenses and prices, but it takes a week to get them.

I too order from coastal, have ordered a few pairs and every time they come just fine. I have had my Ray-Bans for a year now from them, no complaints

bread's done
Back