Hip-Hop/Rap Songs That Sample Oldies?

the_punisher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
200 (100%)
I like that a lot of artists are going back and using some of the oldies beats for newer songs, as long as it's actually done well. I can only think of a few, feel free to post whatever comes to mind.

Video Killed The Radio Star (The Buggles):

-->

Check it Out (will.i.am Feat. Nicki)

Forever Young (Alphaville)

-->

Young Forever (Jay-Z)

Down in Mexico (The Coasters)

-->

Red Bandana (The Game)

Google? Not trying to be a dick but tons of rappers sample older songs. You're talking about hundreds of songs over the last 20 years.

[quote name='Irukandji']Google? Not trying to be a dick but tons of rappers sample older songs. You're talking about hundreds of songs over the last 20 years.[/QUOTE]

True, but a lot of it fucking sucks.

I wouldn't call those songs "oldies" and if you are counting 80's songs into samples, their are millions of songs. Hell, Nicki Minaj's whole album is one 80's hit sampled after another. I think they ran out of 80's samples to use on it.

[quote name='javeryh']Mo Money Mo Problems!!!

Seriously though - almost every hip-hop/rap album has samples on it.[/QUOTE]

^This.

As previously suggested a Google/Wikipedia combo is your best friend.

That's been a staple of Hip hop / Rap music for years! Sampling!!!

Its done way too much now a days, ive lost alot of interest in hip-hop/rap due to it, too much lack of originality.

Artist are pretty much making a career of rehashing old "beats" as todays hits. It's almost a for sure thing that they'll use a sample on there first single to get a for sure hit. And its mostly sold/aimed at a younger crowd that doesn't know any better or to a hip hop listening audience that wouldn't have a clue.

Buddy: Thats a dope beat.
Me: yeah thats a cool 80's song.
Buddy:...what you talking about?
Me: :roll:

Don't get me wrong do, some are done pretty cool. One that comes to mind is Kanye West "Diamonds are forever", Because it samples Shirley Bassey's silky voice.

Shirley Bassey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to60kz18tiM

Have to agree with the previous two posters, if you want to hear some great production and sampling, just check out Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

Here is the thing that I hate. Growing up I was a pure rocker. I liked punk, metal, alternative and I still do to this day. Being that I am black and lived in the hood it was vastly looked down upon by my friends and random people who heard Korn, NIN, Daft Punk, Gorrilaz Michael Jackson (Even though he is black people in the hood were not bumping him) etc etc blasting from by car. This also included tons of 80s pop rock and glam rock.

My fellow black brethren would rip me apart for listening to that "white boy stuff" yet years later when a rapper samples the shit out of a song then its all good. Its amazing how easily things become accepted to the general public. I also remember when I got ripped for playing rock guitar ( really wanted to be lenny kravitz) yet now that Lil Wayne has figured out how to strum 3 generic power chords its cool for us to pick up guitars.

People are fucking stupid, and most rap still sucks dick no matter who they sample because they wind up using the exact same lyrics they would in any other song. Whats the point of sampling a well known song from the 80s when all you are going to do is rap the same generic crap about guns, chains, hoes and money.

EDIT:

Dont get be wrong, I love me some good hip hop and if the creator can sample a song and make it that much better I am all for it. But like V said above most people now a days just use it for a sure fire hit because they cant think of anything of their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Soodmeg']Here is the thing that I hate. Growing up I was a pure rocker. I liked punk, metal, alternative and I still do to this day. Being that I am black and lived in the hood it was vastly looked down upon by my friends and random people who heard Korn, NIN, Daft Punk, Gorrilaz Michael Jackson (Even though he is black people in the hood were not bumping him) etc etc blasting from by car. This also included tons of 80s pop rock and glam rock.

My fellow black brethren would rip me apart for listening to that "white boy stuff" yet years later when a rapper samples the shit out of a song then its all good. Its amazing how easily things become accepted to the general public. I also remember when I got ripped for playing rock guitar ( really wanted to be lenny kravitz) yet now that Lil Wayne has figured out how to strum 3 generic power chords its cool for us to pick up guitars.

People are fucking stupid, and most rap still sucks dick no matter who they sample because they wind up using the exact same lyrics they would in any other song. Whats the point of sampling a well known song from the 80s when all you are going to do is rap the same generic crap about guns, chains, hoes and money.

EDIT:

Dong get be wrong, I love me some good hip hop and if the creator can sample a song and make it that much better I am all for it. But like V said above most people now a days just use it for a sure fire hit because they cant think of anything of their own.[/QUOTE]

You and I are alot alike. I'm a black guy, living in the hood, listening to alot of rock. Metallica, Godsmack, Disturbed, Linkin Park, Ozzy, so I get a ton of shit for doing so, and I feel the same way you do about rap. I'm really not into much of it (T.I. is the only rapper i can say that I really enjoy.) and it really is funny to see, just as you said, when a rapper samples a "white boy song" how they'll jump all over it and think it's great. (Let's Go by Trick Daddy is the first song that comes to mind, as it samples Ozzy's Crazy Train)

Just figured I'd add my 2 cents.

You know whats funny Shin, I was the first, the very first guy on my block and in my school to bump Eminem. I first started listening because he was from Detroit where I grew up (same reason why I love The White Stripes they are also from Da D) I specifically remember people saying, "Ohhh Soodmeg, you would like a white boy rapper bullshit. You always like that white stupid shit. This shit sucks"

Now remember this was when he first came out and his songs were "Hi my name is," "Brain Damage" and "Ken Kaniff skits far from the Puff Daddy, BIG, Tupac, Cash Money Records rap that was out at the time.

About a year later after Dr. Dre gave the ok everyone of course thought he was amazing.

[quote name='Soodmeg']You know whats funny Shin, I was the first, the very first guy on my block and in my school to bump Eminem. I first started listening because he was from Detroit where I grew up (same reason why I love The White Stripes they are also from Da D) I specifically remember people saying, "Ohhh Soodmeg, you would like a white boy rapper bullshit. You always like that white stupid shit. This shit sucks"

Now remember this was when he first came out and his songs were "Hi my name is," "Brain Damage" and "Ken Kaniff skits far from the Puff Daddy, BIG, Tupac, Cash Money Records rap that was out at the time.

About a year later after Dr. Dre gave the ok everyone of course thought he was amazing.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. I remember hearing the song he did "Rock Bottom" that made me take notice. I tried to turn other people on to it, and everyone, EVERYONE I turned on to it talked about how much the song was garbage. A couple years later, those same damn people were talking about how great the song was. Just sucks that race has to get in the way of good music. Good music is good music, no matter what. of course, what sounds good to one person may sound horrid to another, but race should have nothing to do with it.

You wanna talk about some really offensive bullshit like that? Hood people calling gays $$$$$$s then becoming obsessed with skin tight jeans, fauxhawks, and decorative scarfs.

there was a black kid in my HS that was a skater (wore jncos and listened to rock music and such) and he got ripped on so hard. Really unfair but a few years later, the media said it was okay for black people to skate and listen to rock so I guess everything turned out okay for him.

You know what song got sampled alot? David Porter - the masquerade is over

bread's done
Back