History Channel: Civil War

Mrbaseball2710

CAGiversary!
Has anyone played this game yet? is it good? With all the hype about GOW (a must buy) I don't want this to get lost in the mix.

[quote name='jdangerc']Says release date is November 14th, but see no kind of video or commercials for it. Maybe a sleeper hit, or a dud.[/quote]

On EB Games, it says that it will be out today(11/8) so maybe someone can pick it up and check it out.

I was excited about this game when I heard about it a month ago, but not so much now that I've seen screenshots. I haven't read anything on it, but from the screenshots it looks to play like Commandos mixed with X-Men Legends. I hope with the History Channel putting it's name on it that it will be a solid game. At least it introduces a new war genre because I am fucking tired of WWII shooters. I'm still waiting for a publisher to get the balls to make a Afghanistan/Iraq game.

[quote name='neudog']I. I'm still waiting for a publisher to get the balls to make a Afghanistan/Iraq game.[/QUOTE]

They have a few on PC. This http://kumawar.com/ is one, not a great game but they use stuff that happens fairly recently.

Keeping this topic alive in the hopes someone will post a review. The Civil War is the most interesting of history topics to me, so naturally I wanna find out if this game's any good.

I'm playing the game now. I rented it, and it's not bad. My main problem with it is that it seems like it'll be far too short. I'm flying through the nothern side at the moment. Also it's wicked easy to get achievements. I played for like 30 minutes and had 100 points.

The game is broken up into various battles that you can take part in. There's northern and southern campaigns to go through. The gun reloading is realistic in that you get 1 shot, and then have to reload for like 3 minutes. So the game is heavy with the melee action. Expect to give that bayonette a workout.

It's an ok game overall. I wouldn't buy it, but if you like the Civil War then it's definitely worth a rental or purchase when it hits the bargain bin (and it will).

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm playing the game now. I rented it, and it's not bad. My main problem with it is that it seems like it'll be far too short. I'm flying through the nothern side at the moment. Also it's wicked easy to get achievements. I played for like 30 minutes and had 100 points.

The game is broken up into various battles that you can take part in. There's northern and southern campaigns to go through. The gun reloading is realistic in that you get 1 shot, and then have to reload for like 3 minutes. So the game is heavy with the melee action. Expect to give that bayonette a workout.

It's an ok game overall. I wouldn't buy it, but if you like the Civil War then it's definitely worth a rental or purchase when it hits the bargain bin (and it will).[/quote]
Prety much what I expected. I'll pick it up for $10 or less.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm playing the game now. I rented it, and it's not bad. My main problem with it is that it seems like it'll be far too short. I'm flying through the nothern side at the moment. Also it's wicked easy to get achievements. I played for like 30 minutes and had 100 points.

It's an ok game overall. I wouldn't buy it, but if you like the Civil War then it's definitely worth a rental or purchase when it hits the bargain bin (and it will).[/quote]

Where did you rent it from? Looks like Gameznflix does not carry it (yet).

Is it 3rd person, or 1st person? Is there any strategy involved or are you just part of a regiment? Also, is there any sort of multiplayer?

Well, I didn't actually rent it. I work at Gamestop, so I signed it out. I didn't say that because I don't feel like hearing people bitch about Gamestop again.

It's a first person game, and there's really no strategy at all. You're dropped into the middle of a battle, and you just kill enemies on your way to the other end of the area. That's it.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']How long does the campaign last would you say?[/QUOTE]
There really isn't a campaign. You select a battle from the menu, fight through it, go back to the menu and choose another. Honestly, I'd say you could blow through the game in 4 hours.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Well, I didn't actually rent it. I work at Gamestop, so I signed it out. I didn't say that because I don't feel like hearing people bitch about Gamestop again.[/quote]

Heh, we used to do the same thing when I worked at Babbage's ages ago.

Played it, finished it and traded it in already. It is really short and you can get all the achievements in about 8 hours total. You can beat each battle in about 30-45 minutes.

What I like about it was the History Channel narrative after each battle and the weapons selection. You will find most character models look identical and on the hard difficulty the AI can shoot you through cover which is annoying.

Graphics are decent but nothing exciting. It was made from the CAll of Duty 2 engine but does not look even close to as good as Call of Duty 2.

I would recommend a rental but do not purchase. Maybe bargin bin but there is really no replay value. I think the game could have benifited from multiplayer but I understand why it was not included.

bread's done
Back