Hitatchi 320GB 2.5" 5400RPM SATA drive for PS3 @ NewEgg.com, Now $59.99 AR ($20)

[quote name='lilboo']I don't understand.. if it's getting filled with demos..then why not delete the demos? :whistle2:s[/quote]

Demos aren't the concern for most of us. But if your smaller hard drive suits you just fine, more power to you.

Would this hard drive be better than the stock hard drive? I know it's obviously bigger, but I would upgrade if it was faster, cooler, quieter, more reliable etc. . .

This is a 5400RPM drive, just like the stock drive, so there wouldn't be a speed difference. I don't know who the OEM for the PS3 drives is, so I couldn't tell you if they would be cooler, quieter, or more reliable. I haven't heard of too many issues with the PS3 drives, though, so I would assume it's a decent model. Thus, the only real upgrade here is the size.

[quote name='WatchdogXC']I had read somewhere that the stock drive was Hitachi as well.[/quote]

I believe that's the case.

Another thing to keep in mind, and I think it's been stated in this thread elsewhere: the PS3 isn't really designed with a faster drive in mind, so buying something with higher RPMs could overheat the unit. I don't think that's confirmed or anything, but I do know tests have been run and there is very little (if any) increase in speed with a faster RPM drive anyway.

I installed this a few days ago. The PS3 shows it as 298GB, then after installing the OS and MGS4 I'm down to 259GB. Damn, what's taking up all the space?

The space isn't being taken up. Technically, it's all there. The problem is the way hard drive manufacturers measure storage space and the way operating systems measure the same storage space. Manufacturers use a decimal system (base 10) system, while most operating systems used a binary (base 2) system. So, where as, let's say, Hitachi feels that 1,000,000 bytes is a megabyte, the OS defines a megabyte as 1,048,576 bytes. Seagate was actually sued over this practice recently and settled.

http://apcmag.com/seagate_settles_class_action_cash_back_over_misleading_hard_drive_capacities.htm

My Hitachi is on a UPS brown truck and should be delivered some time today. In anticipation, I pulled out the stock 80gig drive on my PS3 and it shows a OEM Seagate.

Now if only UPS would hurry its ass up and deliver

So...better get this before Nov. 30th?

Because I never ugpraded my hard drive before and im down to 3GB left on my 60GB Default HDD of my PS3.

I got mine and successfully installed it and now have lots of room to spare. I got all the screws out easily except for the last one on the caddy and I stripped it really bad. I was finally able to get it off with some pliers but it shouldn't have come to that. Those screws are cheap and they were way too tight. I just put the 3 back on it and left the 4th one out and it is fine.

[quote name='shrike4242']Rebate has changed, used to be $20, now is $30, so it's $49.99 AR.[/quote]

Whoa! I haven't sent in the $20 one yet. Does this mean I can send in the $30 one instead??

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Whoa! I haven't sent in the $20 one yet. Does this mean I can send in the $30 one instead??[/QUOTE]

Probably not because I just looked at the rebate and it says, "Purchase must be made between 11/28/08 and 12/01/08."

[quote name='WatchdogXC']I got mine and successfully installed it and now have lots of room to spare. I got all the screws out easily except for the last one on the caddy and I stripped it really bad. I was finally able to get it off with some pliers but it shouldn't have come to that. Those screws are cheap and they were way too tight. I just put the 3 back on it and left the 4th one out and it is fine.[/quote]

You did that by not using an appropriate sized screwdriver to remove the screws. Believe me the head of a screwdriver makes or breaks working with computers.

[quote name='kkt']Probably not because I just looked at the rebate and it says, "Purchase must be made between 11/28/08 and 12/01/08."[/quote]

Those bastards... It's hard to know when a deal is going to get better if you wait or if a deal is going to just disappear.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']You did that by not using an appropriate sized screwdriver to remove the screws. Believe me the head of a screwdriver makes or breaks working with computers.[/quote]

I need to make sure I have the right size before I even begin. Any tips?

Wow, that's a lot of drivers! Maybe that's what I need, though, since I can't figure out what size the hard drive upgrade requires. $10 isn't bad.

Snagged one of these last night. Thanks go out to Shrike for posting the bump with the new rebate on it. I figured this will probably be about the cheapest 320 GB hard drive for PS3 that we can find for a while. I had no interest in paying over $100 for one of the 500GB drives. To me a 320 GB drive should last us the 10 years that Sony is promising for the life cycle of the PS3.

[quote name='Purkeynator']To me a 320 GB drive should last us the 10 years that Sony is promising for the life cycle of the PS3.[/quote]

Yeah, probably! It depends upon how hefty the digital download market becomes near the end of the system's span and how much de-emphasis is eventually placed upon disc-based software.

But in the odd event that things do go heavily digital, we can always upgrade again, probably pretty cheaply, and the folks with smaller drives will need a lucrative upgrade program from Sony anyway. The way things are now, this is definitely enough space.

Is there a way to transfer the games I've downloaded to the new drive, or will I need to re-download them?
Or might anyone have a link to a good tutorial? All the stuff I've found focuses on the physical swapping or drives rather than data transfer.

If you're doing the back-up/restore route, and if everything goes right, you shouldn't have to do anything after the process is through. Everything should be the way it was before.

I didn't download any full games before I did it, but I had all my demos transfer over. Then, I bought my first 2 PSN games in SF2HD and Commando 3. The process took awhile, but was very easy.

I was wondering, if I have PSN games and DLC stuff on my hard drive, then I back it up on an external, then I switch the drives and restore the system, why couldn't I just keep restoring the system onto other people's ps3's and then they'd have all my games and it wouldn't be a 5 system maximum on sharing downloads? Know what I mean?

I'm waiting for cyber monday before I buy a drive, by the way.

[quote name='Amerijapoxicano']I was wondering, if I have PSN games and DLC stuff on my hard drive, then I back it up on an external, then I switch the drives and restore the system, why couldn't I just keep restoring the system onto other people's ps3's and then they'd have all my games and it wouldn't be a 5 system maximum on sharing downloads? Know what I mean?

I'm waiting for cyber monday before I buy a drive, by the way.[/QUOTE]

Stuff you buy on PSN is locked to your account, so your account must be on that system to use it. I assume there is a safeguard of some kind using that setup.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Wow, that's a lot of drivers! Maybe that's what I need, though, since I can't figure out what size the hard drive upgrade requires. $10 isn't bad.[/QUOTE]

You need a set of precision screwdrivers. I think I only used the #0, but I might have used #1 too. The screws are insanely tight, but using a precision screwdriver, I managed not to strip them at all.

[quote name='SDC']Is there a way to transfer the games I've downloaded to the new drive, or will I need to re-download them?
Or might anyone have a link to a good tutorial? All the stuff I've found focuses on the physical swapping or drives rather than data transfer.[/quote]

I think you'll need to re-download them, but I'm not entirely sure. You might nto have to, since they're locked to your account. So, if you backup everything and restore it, you might not have to redownload stuff, or it might be minimal. Sorry, kind of a lame answer on my part.

But listen, this video has what you requested, as well as the hardware side of the operation, so I think it'll answer your questions. Now, to go find it real quick! I just watched it today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2d3JCMHL4o

Same video I watched, different uploader. Let me know if it works, okay? I thought it was particularly good, because it shows you how to back everything up and shows the screen and everything.

Edit--It looks like it posted the video right here. Hope that's not against rules. I only intended to post the link, but it loads the video.

interesting review...

Pros: Great price for space

Cons: Died after about 3 weeks, lost all data

Other Thoughts: Used in PS3, Should go with segate

[quote name='slowdive21']interesting review...

Other Thoughts: Used in PS3, Should go with segate[/quote]

Whose review? On Newegg? There will always be a few drives that fail in every batch, I fear. It's under warranty, which won't help the fact that you'd lose all your saves, but I think a Seagate would have just about the same failure ratio (very low, mind you).

Just read the Funcoland story, by the way. That's pretty hilarious.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Whose review? On Newegg? There will always be a few drives that fail in every batch, I fear. It's under warranty, which won't help the fact that you'd lose all your saves, but I think a Seagate would have just about the same failure ratio (very low, mind you).

Just read the Funcoland story, by the way. That's pretty hilarious.[/quote]

Yeah it is from newegg. I do not put much stock into it and I think I am going to buy the drive anyway...a 320 GB PS3 is too hard to pass up!

I'm going to have to reformat my 60 GB external from ntfs to FAT32. For those who have done this does XP make one 32 GB partition and then a 2nd partition for the what's left? If so, will the PS3 backup use both partitions or will I need to get the stuff I will transfer down to 32 GB? Thanks for any help and sorry if this shouldn't be posted here.

[quote name='slowdive21']interesting review...

Other Thoughts: Used in PS3, Should go with segate[/quote]

that review made me buy the segate hdd.

I just did a quick check and I have a few demos on my hard drive and 20GB have already been used. I tend to create a lot of save game files (so no clue how much those eat up over time) I figure this will make a good main drive and leave the 80GB for a back up. $50 for 300 GBs or so of PS3 storage should last me a few years.

Going to grab this, as I've always planned on upgrading my 60GB launch PS3. However, I'm reluctant because I have no idea how to transfer my data.

Could anyone explain, in layman's terms, what I need to do? Am I going to need a third drive, can I use my laptop or something, do I need a special wire, are there any horse socks?

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Whose review? On Newegg? There will always be a few drives that fail in every batch, I fear. It's under warranty, which won't help the fact that you'd lose all your saves, but I think a Seagate would have just about the same failure ratio (very low, mind you).[/quote]

Exactly. I hate people who leave stupid reviews on Newegg. I understand you're annoyed that the drive failed, but it happens. Even the most reliable hard drive is going to have duds in the bunch. Reviews should be written on the actual product and build quality, not the fact that you were unlucky. Of course, my favorite are the ones where they complain about shipping! Yes, because that has so much to do with a video card.

[quote name='StateofMind']Going to grab this, as I've always planned on upgrading my 60GB launch PS3. However, I'm reluctant because I have no idea how to transfer my data.

Could anyone explain, in layman's terms, what I need to do? Am I going to need a third drive, can I use my laptop or something, do I need a special wire, are there any horse socks?[/quote]

Having an external hard drive is the most efficient method. You would just back-up the old drive, put in the new one, and then restore. If you have a thumb drive or memory card of a decent size, you could back up the non-replaceable data, like game saves and the such. Then, when you format the new drive, you would just have to re-download any content you bought and reinstall any games that you had system data for.

Pretty decent drive
smiley3.jpg

Does anyone have a copy of the other rebate form? I bought the HDD during the $20 rebate but the form has been replaced now and I can't find it on their site.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.

New rebate on the drive, though only a $20 one, so back up to $59.99 AR. However, this one is good until the end of this month.

[quote name='Pbear1212']I'm going to have to reformat my 60 GB external from ntfs to FAT32. For those who have done this does XP make one 32 GB partition and then a 2nd partition for the what's left? If so, will the PS3 backup use both partitions or will I need to get the stuff I will transfer down to 32 GB? Thanks for any help and sorry if this shouldn't be posted here.[/QUOTE]

You can use a program called SwissKnife that is free and can do one big partition. I've used it before. In this instance though I just used my Mac and formatted as MS-Dos and it worked the same. With an external enclosure, it makes a nice transfer tool from laptop to PS3 and whatever else.

Thank god this deal is back up again for another month! :D

Thought I missed it..but not today! \\:D/

[quote name='WatchdogXC']You can use a program called SwissKnife that is free and can do one big partition. I've used it before. In this instance though I just used my Mac and formatted as MS-Dos and it worked the same. With an external enclosure, it makes a nice transfer tool from laptop to PS3 and whatever else.[/QUOTE]

wow, swissknife is freaking annoying to install, at least on xp MCE. not saying anything about the program itself, because i've been thus far unable to actually run it, but the installer is from the win9x stone-age and it is allergic to the future.

update: i finally gave up on the swissknife thing, and did a five second google search (i know, i know, shoulda started there in the first place) and found this thing:
http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/

another freeware program that formats FAT32 larger than 32gb. i just formatted a 320 sata drive i had laying around into FAT32 in 45 seconds. the program itself is slow and ugly, but it works.

now to try and backup the 80gig, install the (2.5inch) 320, and restore from the (3.5inch) 320. gonna be fun!

bread's done
Back