Hitman: The Movie > No Country for Old Men

[quote name='Chacrana']No Country For Old Men SuckeD!!!! I hope they make a sequel tho[/QUOTE]

Me too. This time it's going to be called "No City for Old Men" and follow Chigurh around with his three best guy friends as they discuss life, politics, and sex in the city. It's going to be fabulous.

It's funny to me when people complain, "ZOMG, THEY DIDN'T SHOW TEH SUPER BATTLE BETWEEN LLEWELYN AND SUGAR!" That's the whole friggin' point. The Coens deconstruct movie genres. They did it with the crime caper movie in Fargo, they did it with the hard-boiled detective story in The Big Lebowski, and they did it with the revenge movie in No Country. It's not an action movie. It's not supposed to stroke your id by showing pointless scenes of shit blowing up left and right. The point they're making is that things don't just WORK like that in real life. Violence isn't neat and tidy; it's messy and unpredictable.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The first 3/4 of NCFOM was excellent.
It's the end that pissed me off. The first 3/4 is setting up this epic battle between the two "cool" characters and Tommy Lee Jones is basically a minor character. At the end, it's basically all over, but there's a final 1/4 of the movie trying to make us give a shit about Tommy Lee Jones' character. Best part in the movie is the dude trying to set up an ambush in the motel room and gets whacked by that doorlock cylinder.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly,
Llewellyn calls his wife and does all that stuff to try and get her the money so he can go after Anton, but instead one scene he's standing at the pool then the next scene out of nowhere he's dead.

Wow, pretentious much (not the OP, but a large majority of people posting here)?

Look, I thought No Country For Old Men was last year's second best film, and I'm pretty shocked when I find out that someone didn't like it, but honestly. People see movies for different reasons. Was it necessary that the OP start this thread? No. But there's no reason to call people who don't like the film idiots.

Now, there are films that you can call people idiots for liking. However, not liking something does not make someone an idiot.

I'm going to watch NCFOM this weekend. This space is reserved for my future impressions.

Also, Hitman looks HORRIBLE.

I liked the way NCFOM ended, it was subtle and quiet...kinda of like all of the characters in the film, its not an action flick by far.

its one of those "ya either get it or you dont" movies

However, i feel videogame movies like "Hitman" should never be made...If i played the game and finished it...ive gotten my entertainment out of it, especially if its made to look like shit.

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']:rofl:

serious thread?

hitman was among the worst movies i have ever seen.

I have seen a lot of movies.

Including Revenge of the Killer Tomatoes.[/quote]

Unless you've seen "Killer Drag Queens on Dope" (yes a real movie), you haven't seen shit.

i'm fully convinced OP is just trolling. see this thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174071

if he is actually serious about his movie opinions, then ... i have no words :rofl:

edit: and responding to prmononke's sentiments, the OP is hardly an idiot and he is entitled to his own views. however his opinions are juvenile in respect to the consensus of critics and fans of quality films. now i'm definitely not saying critics or the opinons of the majority are infallible and their word is gospel, but if a movie is getting tons of critical acclaim, chances are it's actually good.

I rented both and just finished Hitman, but haven't watched ...Country... yet. Hitman wasn't bad as long as you didn't expect anything great from it. It also didn't hurt anything that the girl was a 10 out of 10.

I never post here, but damn, I felt compelled to defend No Country. Excellent movie by any standards. Definitely the movie of the year.

I think the main problem is comparing No Country for Old Men to Hitman. They're not even in the same category of movies.

Its like trying to compare an orange to a tire iron. I think an orange is better because I can eat it and make orange juice with it. Tire irons suck.

[quote name='xcoax']I think the main problem is comparing No Country for Old Men to Hitman. They're not even in the same category of movies.

Its like trying to compare an orange to a tire iron. I think an orange is better because I can eat it and make orange juice with it. Tire irons suck.[/quote]

Ur wrung! Tar arns is tasty!

[quote name='tehweezner']i'm fully convinced OP is just trolling. see this thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174071

if he is actually serious about his movie opinions, then ... i have no words :rofl:

edit: and responding to prmononke's sentiments, the OP is hardly an idiot and he is entitled to his own views. however his opinions are juvenile in respect to the consensus of critics and fans of quality films. now i'm definitely not saying critics or the opinons of the majority are infallible and their word is gospel, but if a movie is getting tons of critical acclaim, chances are it's actually good.[/quote]

I agree that a massively critically acclaimed film will likely be good. I loved No Country (but I loved There Will Be Blood more), so I'm certainly of the opinion that it was one of the best movies in recent years.

However, saying "Typical one-dimensional moviegoer," is fairly ridiculous. Not everyone looks for deeper meaning in the movies they're watching. I know Brak is a big fan of David Lynch, whom many people can't stand. I liked Mulholland Drive, although I found Eraserhead to be way too abstract for my tastes. Does that make me "one-dimensional?" No.

I like mindless action films like 300. It may have pretty shitty dialogue, along with a shallow plot, but the action is entertaining as hell.

At the same time, I can enjoy a film like No Country For Old Men, which I came out of saying "That is absolutely the best film this year." Granted, I later changed my mind about that, deeming There Will Be Blood to be slightly better (while a completely different type of film).

Anyway, my current plan is to major in film (assuming I can get into the Film and New Media program at the college I'm attending). I can understand Brak's sentiments. However, not everyone cares about movies to the extent that we would. And ultimately, that isn't a problem. People can like what they like, and who is anyone to criticize that?

Please dont bring up David Lynch....I ...cant stand his films,...Well...besides Blue Velvet. everything else can go fly a kite. that man's movies are like a brain aneurysm.

I'm gonna have to agree with the OP but for one reason. I hate stories with no ending. Doesn't have to be good or bad, I just want an ending.

No Country for Old Men is like the Soul Reaver for movies.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Just saw this movie last night on XBL. It was an "ok" movie. I am glad I rented this movie vs buying it.[/quote]

WTF Man? We have a movie thread for this reason...

I do have taste in movies, "There will be Blood" was a brilliant movies, great story, great characters....I enjoyed it 2x over No Counntry

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the opinion presented in the OP is like saying McDonalds hamburger > kobe beef.

[quote name='darthbudge']WTF Man? We have a movie thread for this reason...[/quote]

Well when I hit the search button for No Country for Old Men I got this and the OTT of it. Where is the real thread for it?

[quote name='Xevious']Some of you guys hated NCFOM because you were expecting a typical Hollywood ending....[/quote]

I didn't hate it. For some strange reason I laughed when the dog was swim chasing the guy. I don't know but it looked funny to me.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well when I hit the search button for No Country for Old Men I got this and the OTT of it. Where is the real thread for it?[/QUOTE]
So you were talking about No Country for Old Men..?

You do realize this is the Hitman thread, right?

So when you say, "I saw this movie last night", one can only assume you're speaking of the Hitman movie.

By the way:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156699

Loved No Country For Old Men. That and There Will Be Blood where my two favorites from last year.

No real interest in seeing Hitman.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well when I hit the search button for No Country for Old Men I got this and the OTT of it. Where is the real thread for it?

[/quote]

[quote name='Brak']So you were talking about No Country for Old Men..?

You do realize this is the Hitman thread, right?

So when you say, "I saw this movie last night", one can only assume you're speaking of the Hitman movie.

By the way:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156699[/quote]

Dude, did you read what I just said? Once again I said when i hit the search button for NCFOM it came up with this thread and the OTT for it. So at the time I just posted here because I didn't know anyone made a thread for it and two searches wasn't working to reveal your thread.

Understand now?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ITDEFX']Dude, did you read what I just said? Once again I said when i hit the search button for NCFOM it came up with this thread and the OTT for it. So at the time I just posted here because I didn't know anyone made a thread for it and two searches wasn't working to reveal your thread.

Understand now?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I understood that. (Past-tense.)

Ever heard of the cliche, "A day late and a dollar short?"

You didn't elaborate which film you were talking about, referring to it only as "this movie" in a tread pertaining mostly to Hitman.

But, reading between the lines, it would be easy to tell that you were speaking of No Country, because you said it was merely "O.K." If you were talking about Hitman, you would have said it was "AN ABSOLUTE WORK OF ART!"

Last edited:
[quote name='Brak']...

Yeah. I understood that. (Past-tense.)

Ever heard of the cliche, "A day late and a dollar short?"

You didn't elaborate which film you were talking about, referring to it only as "this movie" in a tread pertaining mostly to Hitman.

But, reading between the lines, it would be easy to tell that you were speaking of No Country, because you said it was merely "O.K." If you were talking about Hitman, you would have said it was "AN ABSOLUTE WORK OF ART!"[/quote]

Even Darth knew I was talking about No Country. Granted I haven't seen Hitman (yet, unless it's on XBL) but unless there is a dog in Hitman that jumps in the water to chase after one of the characters, I am pretty sure that I am talking about No Country. Like I said it was OK.. Not bad, not good..but just ok. I have heard nothing but bad things about Hitman and more good things about No Country. I might just rent it (if it is on XBL) and say "HITMAN IS AN ABSOLUTE WORK OF ART!" or I might say "it's ok" or I might just say "Hitman was a waste of time and money..".

[quote name='ITDEFX']Even Darth knew I was talking about No Country. Granted I haven't seen Hitman (yet, unless it's on XBL) but unless there is a dog in Hitman that jumps in the water to chase after one of the characters, I am pretty sure that I am talking about No Country. Like I said it was OK.. Not bad, not good..but just ok. I have heard nothing but bad things about Hitman and more good things about No Country. I might just rent it (if it is on XBL) and say "HITMAN IS AN ABSOLUTE WORK OF ART!" or I might say "it's ok" or I might just say "Hitman was a waste of time and money..".[/quote]

No... I actually thought you were talking about Hitman. Which makes your statement even more of a travesty. NCFOM was probably in the Top 10 films of this decade. It was not just "OK."

people like the OP are reasons why this movie
12151023224951kh5.jpg
is made

[quote name='ITDEFX']but unless there is a dog in Hitman that jumps in the water to chase after one of the characters, I am pretty sure that I am talking about No Country.[/QUOTE]
You mentioned that scene, like, two or three posts AFTER the vague post I'm criticizing.

Goddamn.

bread's done
Back