Hmm, so I threw together a website.

your sig is just so fucking funny!

every damn time, it gets a good laugh outta me. every damn time.

-edit- oh yeah, i like the whole picture-only thing going on. less reading for me.

[quote name='Scorch']Simple, effective, gets the job done.. and for some odd reason, I like black and grey.[/quote]

Thanks! The point of the photo journal is not going to be "say cheese" pictures, but just shots of what I see during the day. No captions, take from it what you will.

room102101.jpg

Nice blinds :D

[quote name='alteredbeast'][quote name='Scorch']Simple, effective, gets the job done.. and for some odd reason, I like black and grey.[/quote]

Thanks! The point of the photo journal is not going to be "say cheese" pictures, but just shots of what I see during the day. No captions, take from it what you will.[/quote]

I did that once. I followed around a friend for a couple of days, and just took pictures of her life. At all hours of day. While she was sleeping, when she was dressing, when she was eating breakfast, when she was at class, when she was working, when she was watching TV, when she was partying. Note, I did have her permission. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I could be sent to jail, or at least could have had a restraining order brought against me. It turned out quite cool.

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='alteredbeast'][quote name='Scorch']Simple, effective, gets the job done.. and for some odd reason, I like black and grey.[/quote]

Thanks! The point of the photo journal is not going to be "say cheese" pictures, but just shots of what I see during the day. No captions, take from it what you will.[/quote]

I did that once. I followed around a friend for a couple of days, and just took pictures of her life. At all hours of day. While she was sleeping, when she was dressing, when she was eating breakfast, when she was at class, when she was working, when she was watching TV, when she was partying. Note, I did have her permission. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I could be sent to jail, or at least could have had a restraining order brought against me. It turned out quite cool.[/quote]

That would be kinda cool. If I had their permission and they would not know when they're having pictures taken, anyways. That way you get to see the real person without them playing themselves up. That'd be interesting to see how girls act when no one's around. Please, you know they bust out the doritos and play some games when no one's looking :p

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']I liked the look of that Greasy Spoon you were eating in, kinda dark and edgy.[/quote]

Some of that is also due to the camera itself. It is of a low quality, without a flash, so the images are kinda dark and the colors are a little blured.

I will be adding pictures of today by the end of the night, since it is a daily journal.

Its different from the other personal sites I've seen. To be honest, I'm on the fence as to whether I like it or not.

[quote name='Xevious']Its different from the other personal sites I've seen. To be honest, I'm on the fence as to whether I like it or not.[/quote]

That is good, and being on the fence about it too is good. It shows that is it is different, and could use improvement. As time goes on, it will fill up with more content, and I'm sure will change a bit.

If you, or anyone else has some suggestions, I'm open to hear it.

[quote name='alteredbeast']I made myself a little website, just started. I am aiming for something very simple. It is just a photo journal...well take a look for yourself.

I am familiar with much more advanced web design than that, but there is something to be said for simplicity.[/quote]

Needs. Navigation. Scheme. Can't. Type. Wandering. Blindly. Among. Pages. Dark. Gray. On. Black. Painful. To. Eyes. Low. Contrast. Causing. Loss. Of. Focus. Strange. Slices. Of. Pictures. Instead. Of. Thumbnails. Can't. Tell. What. Picture. Is. Until. I. Click. Hmm. There's. Sky. Wonder. What's. Below. Must. Click. Well. That. Was. Lackluster. Was. Expecting. Bunnies. And. Frolicking. Children. Disappointment.

It's very minimalist, but part of that is due to the small amount of content you have right now. I like the idea.

My suggestion would be to make ALL of the wide-length thumbnail preview type pictures ALL the same size. That gives it a nice sense of uniformity and structure.

And yes, I agree the pictures are a little dark, unless you're trying to make your TV w/ the Simpsons playing seem 'gothic'.

[quote name='WildWop'][quote name='alteredbeast']I made myself a little website, just started. I am aiming for something very simple. It is just a photo journal...well take a look for yourself.

I am familiar with much more advanced web design than that, but there is something to be said for simplicity.[/quote]

Needs. Navigation. Scheme. Can't. Type. Wandering. Blindly. Among. Pages. Dark. Gray. On. Black. Painful. To. Eyes. Low. Contrast. Causing. Loss. Of. Focus. Strange. Slices. Of. Pictures. Instead. Of. Thumbnails. Can't. Tell. What. Picture. Is. Until. I. Click. Hmm. There's. Sky. Wonder. What's. Below. Must. Click. Well. That. Was. Lackluster. Was. Expecting. Bunnies. And. Frolicking. Children. Disappointment.[/quote]

That is actually very accurate. :D

[quote name='dustyeff']It's very minimalist, but part of that is due to the small amount of content you have right now. I like the idea.

My suggestion would be to make ALL of the wide-length thumbnail preview type pictures ALL the same size. That gives it a nice sense of uniformity and structure.

And yes, I agree the pictures are a little dark, unless you're trying to make your TV w/ the Simpsons playing seem 'gothic'.[/quote]

I am adding more things each day to the photo journal. I like the idea of uniform length for the thumbnails, but some pictures I wanted to just focus in on some parts. But I'm going to experiemnt with that idea.

I don't want anyone to think there is anything 'Gothic' about this site. If it is dark, it is because I am using a cheap digital camera w/o a flash. I like how things come out when you have to use natural lighting.

It's not bad, but there's too. Much. Clicking.

I'd suggest setting up the rest of the sections like you did the "Life" one. Having to click on a subject, then a day, and then a thumbnail to get to a picture is a bit much. Drop the "day" pages and put all of the thumbnails on one page.

Other than that, I think I like it. :)

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']It's not bad, but there's too. Much. Clicking.

I'd suggest setting up the rest of the sections like you did the "Life" one. Having to click on a subject, then a day, and then a thumbnail to get to a picture is a bit much. Drop the "day" pages and put all of the thumbnails on one page.

Other than that, I think I like it. :)[/quote]

Thanks! Good idea, I think I'll do that.

Hey, way better than what I could do, good work!

Maybe you should get a layout to organize things and give your website an appealing look.

Good luck.

Nice simple layout, really liked what you did to preview pictures, but something didn't feel right. Possibly I was looking at pictures of somebody's life whom I don't know anything about...

[quote name='alteredbeast'][quote name='Xevious']Its different from the other personal sites I've seen. To be honest, I'm on the fence as to whether I like it or not.[/quote]

That is good, and being on the fence about it too is good. It shows that is it is different, and could use improvement. As time goes on, it will fill up with more content, and I'm sure will change a bit.

If you, or anyone else has some suggestions, I'm open to hear it.[/quote]

Honestly, I dont know where to start. I had to design a website for my own and what I did was looked at several books that had examples of good design.

Here are some principals you should know.

1. Learn Color theory. You can buy a color wheel at any art store for under 5 bucks. I used the color wheel alot when I designed my website, bought furniture for my house, etc.

2. Use 2 fonts but not more. I sticked with a safe-font like Verdana but you can use another one if you like. Make sure its a font that ever computer has.

3. Make sure the elements line up correctly. I dont think the fact you have everything centered is working very well.

Another thing is thats not a design principal is that your photos could be a better quality. I can not comment on the content of your website- I have to think about that some more.

Here is my website: http://www.brainwreckfilms.net Its not perfect but you can sort of get a clue about color theory. Notice how the colors seemed balanced.

I like the idea of a online photo journal, but I think your presnetation is more blunt than simplistic. You can add just a little more style by making the links to your albums as images rather than just plain text. But this is coming from a person (me) who likes to use Photoshop for the simplest things. As long as you feel happy with the design, that's all that matters, it's your material and your opinion.

i have never seen more random pictures in my life. it's like "life", then it has a picture of a super-market deli section. what in the fuck?

thanks alot, i'll never get those 5 minutes of my life back i spent looking over your website.

[quote name='Xevious'][quote name='alteredbeast'][quote name='Xevious']Its different from the other personal sites I've seen. To be honest, I'm on the fence as to whether I like it or not.[/quote]

If you, or anyone else has some suggestions, I'm open to hear it.[/quote]

Honestly, I dont know where to start. I had to design a website for my own and what I did was looked at several books that had examples of good design.

Here are some principals you should know.

1. Learn Color theory. You can buy a color wheel at any art store for under 5 bucks. I used the color wheel alot when I designed my website, bought furniture for my house, etc.

2. Use 2 fonts but not more. I sticked with a safe-font like Verdana but you can use another one if you like. Make sure its a font that ever computer has.

3. Make sure the elements line up correctly. I dont think the fact you have everything centered is working very well.

Another thing is thats not a design principal is that your photos could be a better quality. I can not comment on the content of your website- I have to think about that some more.

Here is my website: http://www.brainwreckfilms.net Its not perfect but you can sort of get a clue about color theory. Notice how the colors seemed balanced.[/quote]

Good sugestions, I will work with those ideas tomorrow. The main thing I am going to stick with is the low quality if othe pictures. There is something I like about low quality digital photos that use natural light.

[quote name='BusDriver']i have never seen more random pictures in my life. it's like "life", then it has a picture of a super-market deli section. what in the shaq-fu?

thanks alot, i'll never get those 5 minutes of my life back i spent looking over your website.[/quote]

That is actually the sushi available at a sushi stand in the larger of the 3 malls in my area.

Also, i will be using the 5 mintues stolen from you life to extend my own...so thank you :D

bread's done
Back