Hollister Apple MacBook Giveaway!

Alpha 176

CAGiversary!
http://ready.hollisterco.com/hco/index.jsp#content

How To Enter : Take the unique sweepstakes code found on the code card online to ready.hollisterco.com (the “Website”) to enter the Sweepstakes.

Eligibility : In order to be eligible for entry into the Sweepstakes, you must be 14 years of age or older and a legal permanent resident of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia at the time of entry (the “Entrant”)

Timing : The Hollister Co. Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) begins at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on July 16, 2011 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. ET on August 5, 2011

Entry Period ----- Entry Periods per Calendar Day
One 12:00 p.m. ET through 12:59:59 p.m. ET
Two 1:00 p.m. ET through 1:59:59 p.m. ET
Three 2:00 p.m. ET through 2:59:59 p.m. ET
Four 3:00 p.m. ET through 3:59:59 p.m. ET
Five 4:00 p.m. ET through 4:59:59 p.m. ET
Six 5:00 p.m. ET through 5:59:59 p.m. ET
Seven 6:00 p.m. ET through 6:59:59 p.m. ET
Eight 7:00 p.m. ET through 7:59:59 p.m. ET
Nine 8:00 p.m. ET through 8:59:59 p.m. ET
Ten 9:00 p.m. ET through 9:59:59 p.m. ET
Eleven 10:00 p.m. ET through 10:59:59 p.m. ET
Twelve 11:00 p.m. ET through 11:59:59 p.m. ET

Limit : Limit of one (1) entry per person/email address per calendar day.

Prize (s) :

One (1) Prize of an Apple® MacBook® will be awarded per Entry Period. The ARV of each Prize is $999.00. Total of two-hundred and fifty-two Prizes will be awarded during the Sweepstakes Period.

www.hollisterco.com for more information. Good Luck!

IMPORTANT: There's a drawing every hour from 12PM (noon) to 12AM (midnight), and nothing overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this looks really good...
Too bad, there isn't a Hollister nearby, also, if anyone checked the website says 00000 entries... Meaning if you enter, I'm pretty damn sure you'll win.

jesus...chances of winning are VERY high. good luck everyone and thanks OP. not a fan of hollister, but this might be worth dropping in

[quote name='Alpha 176']Yeah you're pretty much guaranteed to win if you enter that shit at like the wee-hours of the morning.[/QUOTE]

Nope, not this time, but don't think I'm calling you stupid or anything: the sweepstakes, in this particular case, is a bit deceptive. There's a drawing every hour from 12PM (noon) to 12AM (midnight), and nothing overnight. Ergo, the wee hours of the morning aren't applicable, unless you want to enter for the first noon drawing of the next day.

Don't know why they say "winner every hour" when it's BS, though.

I myself don't have a store near my Oregonian ass, and the only way to obtain a code is to go into the store. For all of you who can and are going to a Hollister Store wait until the end of the hour before putting in your code so you can wait for the perfect date/time to enter.

Apparently they won't do the drawing until the following Monday of every contest week. Not that that's a big deal, because they only draw from each hour's pool, but they do it all at once. Point is, if you think you''re the only one for that hour, don't be surprised if you don't get an e-mail right away, it won't be until the Tuesday after the drawing. But I did some refresh research, it was pretty much all zeros all day, save a couple of times it was one or two. Now the Abercrombie & Fitch one had like 509 the last time I checked, but it's for a MacBook Air. Same contest, different prize and entry pool. So maybe everyone should check their local A&F, too, huh? And if you have kids, A&F Kids is doing the same thing, but with iPod Touches. My friend is having both his grandma and his mom go to Hollister's separately tomorrow and get 2 cards, 1 for each of us. Seems like this is an easy win if it stays all zeros like this. Good luck, everyone. I have an idea, we should all post the hour we plan to enter the code, that way we don't get in each other's way. :bouncy:

No the counter isn't busted, but after 12EST it won't show any because I believe you can not enter until noon the next day. Check my first posting it's updated a bit.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']Are you guys sure the counter isn't just busted? I've yet to see the numbers go above 0[/QUOTE]

Counter works, me and my friend saw it move a couple of times (lucky bastards lol)

The Hollister one seems broken. It says 0 and not even a drawing time.

The A&F is alive reporting in 452 for a 1 PM drawing currently.

I need a new computer or two, so I'm going out into the heat to the local mall. I hope I can slip out with a few codes. Hoping the codes are reusable in case I can't slip away. I hate both stores, their ridiculous prices, and their stupid preppy look.

[quote name='Alpha 176']No the counter isn't busted, but after 12EST it won't show any because I believe you can not enter until noon the next day. Check my first posting it's updated a bit.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it should be one for each hour. If you do 12 computers each day for the duration of the contest, it is indeed 252 computers. Switching the drawing times and entry times would just fuck with people, so I'm pretty sure what ever time you enter is the time you will be drawn for. I think the Hollister page is just broken.

[quote name='imacgod']The Hollister one seems broken. It says 0 and not even a drawing time.

The A&F is alive reporting in 452 for a 1 PM drawing currently.

I need a new computer or two, so I'm going out into the heat to the local mall. I hope I can slip out with a few codes. Hoping the codes are reusable for that fact. I hate both stores, their ridiculous prices, and their stupid preppy look.[/QUOTE]

Hate to say, the codes aren't reusable, according to the rules...

Is anyone else getting error messages when trying to enter? Im getting an error saying "This code is not valid for this promotion. Try reentering your code or ask a store model for another one." Ive tried multiple ways of using the code, different e-mail, connect using facebook, etc... So I went back to the store and they couldn't figure it but they gave me like 10 cards to use plus I found their secret stash of them so I might stop by at some point and grab the whole lot.

Anyways, I'm contacting customer support, they keep giving me new codes but still the same error. I'd really like this to get sorted out before I call shenanigans on the contest and tell them im going to contact the BBB

Had some luck grabbing a stack of cards at Hollister's. The jerk "model" didn't give me a card when I entered. He gave it to two girls that later walked in instead. As I was leaving, I found a stack of them behind one of the clothing displays. Grabbed a handful and left.

A&F the models were actually handing out cards. My mom and I went, so we got one each. Then, I asked a different "model" for another. Wish I could've find a stack of those. I rather have the MacBook Air. Oh well. Could use an ultra-portable.

I wouldn't bother getting greedy with the cards. It's limited to one entry per day.

And currently both websites are borked, so I'm a little worried about entering any time soon.

Today I also learned Holister's is basically the cheaper version of A&F. Their prices are more reasonable. (Although still all expensive for a "stupid logo" as my mom says ;) ) A&F is just frickin' crazy with their prices. No wonder they can give away laptops like this.

EDIT: Page is broken. Fantastic. I'm getting the code invalid error too. Somebody fucked this up on their end. I think it has something to do with the counter being stuck at zero without mention of the next hourly drawing. Great work... Firing off an e-mail. I hope they are forced to do a second chance drawing or extending the contest. There's no mention of a contingency plan in the rules though, so maybe they can slip by without awarding all of the laptops. :cry:

EDIT2: lolololololololololol! :whee: Now the e-mail form isn't working, so they said to directly e-mail them! WTF?! Shit store with a shit contest administrator! :shame:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I feel sorry for all of those having to deal with the shit and shenanigans. I only shop the clearance racks at Hollister just because the clothes are a relaxed cotton fit and feel much better than a shitty scratchy Walmart shirt.

Just be careful because if you win, Uncle Sam would love to put his greedy hands into your back pocket and practically fist-fuck your ass on the way out.

[quote name='popular penguin']Before I enter a code, the counter reads 0 entries. After I enter a code, the counter shows the TRUE entry number (818 in my case).[/QUOTE]

You're lucky your code works at least. I tried 3 at Hollister's and 2 at A&F. No worky...

I'm not an accountant, but whatever you would probably pay in taxes would be a fraction of the value of the prize, so I would think it would be worth it. Again, I could be wrong, but when I won a trip to New York with Kanye West tickets with an ARV of $2000 the person who did my taxes told me that I would only end up paying a couple hundred bucks. I think that's worth it as opposed to what you would've paid...but again, I'm not an accountant, your local tax laws may vary depending, of course, on your income.

Judging by how there isn't much tax talks here after winning contests and sweepstakes, I'm pretty sure most CAGs just fly under the radar anyhow and Uncle Sam ain't doing too many audits ;)

I've heard some companies pick up the tab/tax on prizes, so I wouldn't sweat it. Even so, it's not like they're asking you to cough up $500 for a $1000 computer you just won. :lol:

EDIT: Webpage, codes, and e-mail still broken. Guess they got out of giving away about 5 laptops through each store today so far... No reply to my e-mail yet either.

Based on the experience I'm having with it, I'm not sure that a company could run any promotion much worse than this one, save for, say, lighting an orphanage on fire on Christmas Eve (thanks for the reference, "Everybody Loves Raymond"). Their entire entry system is just bass-ackwards, what with having to actually go into the store to receive entry codes (this, however, is nowhere *near* a deal-breaker), and then having their own system reject said codes on certain operating systems.

I've basically given right up on entering codes from my phone, since every code but my first one has been denied, but when I *immediately* go onto this ancient desktop system (Windows 98!), those same codes are accepted. This company wants to increase its exposure through social media, and they can't even get the basics right!

So, in closing guys: I've had better luck using an actual desktop system to get this very broken sweepstakes to take THEIR OWN STINKING CODES! If I didn't need a laptop so badly, I probably would just give up. But I do need one, so I won't give up.

The contest administrators just did a shit job on putting together the website. They should hire some real professional web developers. I ended up using a code at noon for the A&F one because the counter was working. Entry went and worked smoothly. The counter didn't update until I entered my code. After that, I haven't seen the webpage load properly at all today.

A&F got back to me after I told them my code wasn't working and the website is just broken. All they said was they had no replacement codes to offer me and that they'd e-mail me a 40% off coupon for an A&F purchase... Haven't received the coupon yet, but I wouldn't use it anyhow because I don't shop at A&F. I also got a 20% coupon just for entering the sweepstakes. I guess I can give away the coupon codes sometime later.

And the problem isn't these codes are broken or redeemed. The website just rejects everything! I don't need a replacement code! I need the webpage to actually work!

I'm going to e-mail them one more time later, but I'm not hopeful about this contest working any time soon. If anybody has a better route to complain about the contest administrators and get results, do tell.

EDIT: WTF... It loads up on my iPad just fine (for now while I don't enter any codes...). boagman, if you're saying a Windows 98 machine is able to load this website and my more cutting edge iPad can load the website, something is wrong with the world. My Mac running Safari and Firefox cannot get this site to work besides the time I tried at noon. Start reporting in what web browser and operating system you're using. This is stupid.

[quote name='imacgod']The contest administrators just did a shit job on putting together the website. They should hire some real professional web developers. I ended up using a code at noon for the A&F one because the counter was working. Entry went and worked smoothly. The counter didn't update until I entered my code. After that, I haven't seen the webpage load properly at all today.

A&F got back to me after I told them my code wasn't working and the website is just broken. All they said was they had no replacement codes to offer me and that they'd e-mail me a 40% off coupon for an A&F purchase... Haven't received the coupon yet, but I wouldn't use it anyhow because I don't shop at A&F. I also got a 20% coupon just for entering the sweepstakes. I guess I can give away the coupon codes sometime later.

And the problem isn't these codes are broken or redeemed. The website just rejects everything! I don't need a replacement code! I need the webpage to actually work!

I'm going to e-mail them one more time later, but I'm not hopeful about this contest working any time soon. If anybody has a better route to complain about the contest administrators and get results, do tell.

EDIT: WTF... It loads up on my iPad just fine (for now while I don't enter any codes...). boagman, if you're saying a Windows 98 machine is able to load this website and my more cutting edge iPad can load the website, something is wrong with the world. My Mac running Safari and Firefox cannot get this site to work besides the time I tried at noon. Start reporting in what web browser and operating system you're using. This is stupid.[/QUOTE]

lol...iPad...cutting edge? rotfl...how magical is it? As magical as the ads?

Well, it's more modern than a Windows 98 box, so I would hope it would have better luck getting the webpage to work.

That said, it's broken now. Might be a cookie or cache issue though. It's loading on my iPod touch which I used to go the webpage only just now.

Going to the mall daily, dealing with a buggy site, and ~ 1/800 chance of wining (my first entry). Yeah, no thanks, too much hassle for a low chance of winning. Have fun guys!

I replied to the e-mail they sent earlier. I told them I'm pretty sure it's something web development-wise that needs to be fixed. The guy said he forwarded to the "appropriate business." We'll see. There's something about using a fresh web browser that makes it possible for the webpage to function enough for you to submit a code. I don't know what it is because clearing cache and cookies hasn't made it work. It's an odd one to say the least.

I bet some old version of Nestcape Navigator could make it work!

[quote name='imacgod']Well, it's more modern than a Windows 98 box, so I would hope it would have better luck getting the webpage to work.

That said, it's broken now. Might be a cookie or cache issue though. It's loading on my iPod touch which I used to go the webpage only just now.[/QUOTE]

Meh, I'm just trollin'. I actually own an iPad Nano (iPod Touch).

So, I finally got a code, thanks to my friends grandma. BUT apparently, her eyes are broken and instead of going to Hollister she went to A&F Kids...so I used my code, and put my little brothers info and my e-mail as the parent stuff haha. The iPod Touch actually isn't bad. Usually they always get the cheapest model, even if they are only giving away one. They are freaking giving away 12 32GB Touches a day. That is, if you get your code to work. It's a sad, depressing day when a site won't take a code on Chrome or Firefox, but it works on Internet Explorer.

Good news, everybody. The website appears to be fixed and redesigned. Yesterday, after some finagling, I figured out you were able to make the website work in Safari if you reset Safari from the menu. This clears everything: cache, cookies, history, passwords, etc. I think you could've just been able to clear cookies in any web browser, but I didn't have luck with Firefox or at least selectively deleting cookies that were from Hollister or A&F. It's possible there was some unrelated cookie that was preventing the sites from working, but I wasn't prepared to nuke Firefox since I actually use it and didn't want to delete all of my settings and such. But anyways, that's all irrelevant because the websites work now without any tricks or finagling! Woohoo...

Bad news is somehow there were like 600-800 entries the times I checked yesterday with my Safari resetting solution. So, somehow and somewhere, people knew how to work the website which is somewhat shady when, at least as far as I can tell, most people could make the website work. Guess our chances went down the drain. I suppose 1 in 800 is better than the usual 1 in a million for contests. But meh... They did a horrible job running this contest.

I cannot overemphasize how absolutely stinking broken this sweepstakes is. Beyond understanding, or at least my level of understanding.

After reading imacgod's post above, I decided to head on over to A&F and Hollister today to grab a couple of entry codes and continue entering. So I went to both places, and got a couple of entry cards for today, and tomorrow.

I decided that I'd enter them right there and then instead of waiting for the 12AM drawing, which I might have forgotten to do. So, right there in one of those idiotically pompous stupid chairs at the front door of Hollister, I sat down and tried to enter on the Droid again (hadn't had any problem doing so before).

What should happen? For both contests, trying to enter my phone number and/or ZIP code was darned near impossible. I eventually got them to work, but it literally took between 10-15 minutes for me to enter both contests, due to the entry form NOT ACTUALLY ALLOWING CHARACTERS TO BE ENTERED INTO SAID BOXES, whether numbers or letters. Anything at all...until, for some odd reason, it would. And then, it wouldn't again.

I hope someone shoots me in my temple before I ever put out something as broken as this sweepstakes is. I'll tell you this: if I win a Mac, I'll have stinking *earned* it.

I would really, really like to hear from anyone here that happened to be a winner of this...this *ABOMINATION* of a sweepstakes. It'd just be nice to know that this idiocy actually resulted in one of us having received *something* out of these morons. What a fiasco.

Seriously: if you won a Mac from either Hollister or A&F, please post. I'm ashamed that I entered nearly every day. What a sucker I am.

[quote name='boagman']I would really, really like to hear from anyone here that happened to be a winner of this...this *ABOMINATION* of a sweepstakes. It'd just be nice to know that this idiocy actually resulted in one of us having received *something* out of these morons. What a fiasco.

Seriously: if you won a Mac from either Hollister or A&F, please post. I'm ashamed that I entered nearly every day. What a sucker I am.[/QUOTE]

:grouphug:

Me too. Conveniently the pages have been pulled. Honestly, the best way to "verify" the contest would be to get the winner's list and see who won which you can get by sending a self-addressed envelope to the address that were in the rules.

But, I don't think there's anything we can do beyond that. I understand the iffy-ness of the sweepstake, but it seems like the website worked for enough people. I think most normal people entered once they got the code and therefore never had to deal with the website breaking. They probably weren't trying to play the odds the way we were. The website seems to only break if you repeatedly visit the page thanks to a broken cookie. And with the last week-ish of the sweepstake, they did fix the website and have it working. As far as I could tell, there were regularly 500-1000 entries per hour, if you believe the counter. Even with my cookie-erasing technique I figured out later, the counter usually read about 500-1000 entries each hour. So even if you entered when the odds were optimal and 1 in 500, it's still believable you can lose with one entry per day.

In conclusion, if we don't hear from Hollister or A&F, I think we can assume we lost. :lol:

My only peeve is despite unchecking the newsletters from A&F and their other companies, I am still getting spam from Hollister and A&F. #-o Yeah, the contest administrators need better web developers.

bread's done
Back