hollywood copouts

Empirestrikeszac

CAG Veteran
Anybody else sick of hollywood just releasing sequels and just about nothing original. I havent seen AVP yet, but it feels to me like just an excuse to throw 2 franchises together to make some money when if they spent the time to make it right it would be unbelievable. Even Spiderman 2 to me had no real payoff in the end, it just set up the next movie. When is hollywood going to stop throwing all of the money into CGI and spend some time making a good plot with a good payoff? The real kicker for me was when i found out theyre making a sequel to baby geniuses!

[quote name='Empirestrikeszac']Anybody else sick of hollywood just releasing sequels and just about nothing original. I havent seen AVP yet, but it feels to me like just an excuse to throw 2 franchises together to make some money when if they spent the time to make it right it would be unbelievable. Even Spiderman 2 to me had no real payoff in the end, it just set up the next movie. When is hollywood going to stop throwing all of the money into CGI and spend some time making a good plot with a good payoff? The real kicker for me was when i found out theyre making a sequel to baby geniuses![/quote]

I lost all faith in humanity when they announced they were making a Princess Diaries 2. *shudder*

Spiderman 2, however, was great. At least it wasn't craptacular like some of the other sequels. Bourne Supremacy I also heard was great, so maybe from now on they'll get their act together and when producing sequels, they'll actually make them good.

Plus, there are tons of spiderman adventures so that is definitely not the last spiderman movie you'll be seeing. I think at least 5.

[quote name='Rodego']if you make it "getused toit," it works[/quote]

Getused T'oit? The Corsican impressionist painter?

[quote name='Empirestrikeszac']The real kicker for me was when i found out theyre making a sequel to baby geniuses![/quote]

I nearly punched my tv when I saw the commercial for it. There are hardly any good, original movies out now a days.

There are lots of good movies to see...stop going to sequels if that is how you feel.

Did you see The Village..it was excellent and fairly original with NO CGI and no hope of a sequel...or did you just listen to everyone say the movie sucked and followed like a sheep into the pit of hell.

[quote name='defender']There are lots of good movies to see...stop going to sequels if that is how you feel.

Did you see The Village..it was excellent and fairly original with NO CGI and no hope of a sequel...or did you just listen to everyone say the movie sucked and followed like a sheep into the pit of hell.[/quote]

I agree as well, I thought it was good. Others didn't seem to like it though.

You're problem is you're listing things like comic book-based movies. Anytime a movie is based off something that contains many volumes, that movie is going to setup for a sequel it's only a natural progession at that point. Do like Defender suggested and go see mvoies based off nothing except the talent of a good writer and a good director. If for some odd reason you feel as if there are none in theaters, then I know there are plenty at your local video store.

you want to talk about movies how about video games

Spiderman 2 is nothing but a rip off of GTA

madden 2005 is nothing but a clone of 2004 2003 2002 with a few items tossed in

lol

The movies of the 80's were worse. Back then, the big movie companies were dishing out recycled crap one after another.

At least we have the independant film movement which started in the 90's. There are lots of great films at there that are not getting much marketing but are worth a look (Garden State comes to mind right now).

Its not as bad as it used to be.

The village can't be described as good. M Night Schamayalan is a one trick pony director ("twist endings") with an ego(hes in every one of the movies a more provalent part each time). As soon as he makes a movie without him in it, that isnt based on its ending; ill go see it.

Spider-man 2 i would describe as a dissapointment because i think they really tanked the plot of it. Dr Octopus really didnt do anything and it was all about the cgi of his tentacles rather then any real motivation. Everything he did was predictable and his ultimate goal was obviously going to fail. In the end like 1 i was left wanting to see the next version not really fulfilled.

Hopefully theyll make the Hobbit movie soon : )

As long as people flood the theatres this will continue. Same with games, look at how well Enter the Matrix sold. What kind of message did that send to developers/publishers? If no one sees AvsP or Catwoman, or any of hte other crap, they'll eventually figure out that they need to inject some quality, after they blame poor ticket sales on internet piracy of course.

[quote name='Xevious']The movies of the 80's were worse. Back then, the big movie companies were dishing out recycled crap one after another.
Its not as bad as it used to be.[/quote]

Don't lump all 80's movies together, there are quite a few gems which came out of that time period. Of course, most of them were the smaller budget, less mainstream movies, not neccesairly independant, but smaller movies.

[quote name='guardian_owl'][quote name='Xevious']The movies of the 80's were worse. Back then, the big movie companies were dishing out recycled crap one after another.
Its not as bad as it used to be.[/quote]

Don't lump all 80's movies together, there are quite a few gems which came out of that time period. Of course, most of them were the smaller budget, less mainstream movies, not neccesairly independant, but smaller movies.[/quote]

Yep. I enjoyed Weird Science, Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller... uhh...

Well Ferris is like an 80's classic.

[quote name='defender']There are lots of good movies to see...stop going to sequels if that is how you feel.

Did you see The Village..it was excellent and fairly original with NO CGI and no hope of a sequel...or did you just listen to everyone say the movie sucked and followed like a sheep into the pit of hell.[/quote]

It's just that those of us with longer memories remeber that Rod Serling and Roger Corman each already made that movie a half dozen times each. The whole thing is just a variant on Corman's 'Teenage Caveman,' an MST3K classic with Robert Vaughn. The best part is his hair, which looks axactly as it would for 'Man from U.N.C.L.E.' despite his being a 'cave man.'

Almost every SF series has done a variant on this, most recently on the latest episode of 'Stargate:Atlantis.' It didn't lack for some enjoyment but the Maguffin was plain a mile away.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='slidecage']Spiderman 2 is nothing but a rip off of GTA [/quote]

:shock:

](*,)[/quote]

I assume the OP is refering to the SM 2 game and I assume the quoted poster is thinking he is talking about the SM 2 movie, is that a fair assessment to why you would have a shocked emoticon to a fairly understandable assessment of the game?

[quote name='Empirestrikeszac']Anybody else sick of hollywood just releasing sequels and just about nothing original. I havent seen AVP yet, but it feels to me like just an excuse to throw 2 franchises together to make some money when if they spent the time to make it right it would be unbelievable. Even Spiderman 2 to me had no real payoff in the end, it just set up the next movie. When is hollywood going to stop throwing all of the money into CGI and spend some time making a good plot with a good payoff? The real kicker for me was when i found out theyre making a sequel to baby geniuses![/quote]

Lets see, the AvP concept has made a ton of money to date in comics and games. The crossover value of the two franchises is well established. Whether they make a good movie of it is a different story. The market for it well established.

you could always do like me...if you're fed up with hollywood go to film school and start making your own movies cause theirs suck ass...(this same concept can be used for videogames or really any form of entertainment that is getting lame)
also, try checking out some independent movies (if you're feeling lucky look for a film festival where you live, you'll probably see a lot of crap, but might find one gem that's worth it)
give foreign movies a shot too...they're great for a change of pace...i'd rather watch one good kurosawa movie than one week's worth of crappy american movies
finally...if a movie is a remake, skip the new one and rent the original (ex. manchurian candidate, get carter, etc...) chances are they are trying to capitalize off your lack of knowledge about the previous version and your fear of seeing a movie that is more than 10 years old, but in most cases (not all) the original is far superior to the new version
if it's a classic, it's always great...shakespeare wrote 400 years ago but is still considered great and relevant because he's classic...expand your horizons and take chances

[quote name='Empirestrikeszac']The village can't be described as good. M Night Schamayalan is a one trick pony director ("twist endings") with an ego(hes in every one of the movies a more provalent part each time). As soon as he makes a movie without him in it, that isnt based on its ending; ill go see it.

Spider-man 2 i would describe as a dissapointment because i think they really tanked the plot of it. Dr Octopus really didnt do anything and it was all about the cgi of his tentacles rather then any real motivation. Everything he did was predictable and his ultimate goal was obviously going to fail. In the end like 1 i was left wanting to see the next version not really fulfilled.

Hopefully theyll make the Hobbit movie soon : )[/quote]

What was the "twist ending" in Signs? I think Signs and Unbreakeable are two fantastic movies.....

bread's done
Back