Hollywood Video's MVP deal $9.99 with 3 movies out at a time better than BB

dwsscs

CAGiversary!
Most of you probably know this, but in case you don't. They are running a promo where its $9.95 a month, then on the 4th month it goes to $14.95 (normal price). With it you get 3 MVP titles out at a time, and trade them for new titles when returned like Netflix or BBO (except they have due dates). I was surprised by the amount of newer titles that were MVP, and there was hardly anyone there (unlike the lines at BB).

Yaeh I'm a member of this. Have been for the past two months. It's really awesome. I've caught up on a lot of movies that I haven't seen. All you have to do is rent 3 movies in one month and you've already got your moneys worht. i've probably rented 20-30 titles in one month thanks to this program. But you have to be careful with it. Their trick with it is that if you take 3 movies out at one time that when you return all three sometimes they will say that you only returned 2 and that one was late. It's happened a couple of times to me their. I would recommend that when you go to return your movies, to take a little extra time and care and make sure that they register them in infront of your own two eyes.

Some recent MVP additions (of new releases) that I know of are Garden State, Harold and Kumar, and Napoleon Dynamite (absolute garbage of a movie).

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']Hmmm, do you have examples of what movies are MVP movies? Name some?[/quote]

All of the "film library" movies are mvp aka the old stuff.
As far as new releases, Its usually about a month before they are on it, allthough that is not set in stone.

And as for their "trick" of only checking in two and charging you a late fee. Its not a trick, it can only be the result of idiot/hasty employees and there are plenty of them there. If you keep checking out three the same day you return three you should never get a late fee, since they have to be checked in before you can get new ones.

I pay 29.99 for three months of this service. When I first found out about it, they wanted to put me on the promo deal at 9.99 then 14.99 later. The employee was good enough to tell me about the pay 3 months at a time deal. Its worth it on your first visit. 3 movies = 11.97 versus unlimited a month, 3 at a time at 9.99. Catch up on those movies youve been wanting to see. If youre one of those people who NEED to see a movie as soon as it comes out on DVD, then its just not for you. As Yoda said "patience".

I've actually had this service for... something like six months. Still $9.99. I've asked them on more than one occasion as to when they plan on bringing me up to the $14.99 price range - not that it matters - and they told me that the official word is that the $14.99 price increase has been delayed for an indefinite length of time. So until corporate says so, it's $9.99 a month forever.
The best part about this promotion is TV boxed sets. My local Hollywood has seasons 1-4 of The Sopranos, so I managed to work my way through that in a couple of months. $20 for four seasons is NICE. The only caveat - Fox (Simpsons, King of the Hill, 24) has stated that their shows absolutely cannot be MVP titles. So you gotta pay full price on those.

You can also use the movie and munchies deal with it.

I was also reading that if you get 3 movies at the same time you can get the movies and munchies deal which is $2.99 includes 2 bags of popcorn, 1 soda (20 oz. I think), and a candy valued at $1.50.

What does MVP stand for?

Btw, this could work out to be a great deal because I just asked Blockbuster what their movie pass (it's what they call their in-store program) cost:

1 movie out at a time = $9.99 first month, $14.99 afterwards

2 movies out at a time = $14.99 first month, $24.99 afterwards

3 movies out at a time = $19.99 first month, $29.99 afterwards

As you can see, those are not very good prices. This Hollywood Video one is a lot better.

Do they carry Criterion DVDs? I'm interested in watching more of those.

[quote name='starman9000'][quote name='alfonsosoriano']Hmmm, do you have examples of what movies are MVP movies? Name some?[/quote]

All of the "film library" movies are mvp aka the old stuff.
As far as new releases, Its usually about a month before they are on it, allthough that is not set in stone.

And as for their "trick" of only checking in two and charging you a late fee. Its not a trick, it can only be the result of idiot/hasty employees and there are plenty of them there. If you keep checking out three the same day you return three you should never get a late fee, since they have to be checked in before you can get new ones.[/quote]

No, it's not an idiot/hasty employee as my friend was in the store when I dropped my movies off and he said that they checked in two and tucked one away. I'm just saying be a little leery/cautious when returning your movies since the way that they intend to make money is by, of course, late fees which this is the way that they will do it even if you are on time.

[quote name='Requiem']What does MVP stand for?

Btw, this could work out to be a great deal because I just asked Blockbuster what their movie pass (it's what they call their in-store program) cost:

1 movie out at a time = $9.99 first month, $14.99 afterwards

2 movies out at a time = $14.99 first month, $24.99 afterwards

3 movies out at a time = $19.99 first month, $29.99 afterwards

As you can see, those are not very good prices. This Hollywood Video one is a lot better.

Do they carry Criterion DVDs? I'm interested in watching more of those.[/quote]

I think my Hollywood carries a couple, not many but still pretty good for a movie store.

The weird movie check in thing is employees messing up IMO. I have returned 3 at a time a couple times without incident.

bread's done
Back