Holy Shit - Did anyone see The Mist? 17 Million Dollar Budget!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Davis

Banned
Man wow! That movie was insane!

I want to talk about it but hold back the spoilers. Did anyone else check it out?

This movie sucked. The previews gave far far too much away. Don't waste your money and just watch all the tv spots, theatrical trailers/trailers, and previews of the movie and you should pretty much be able to get the gist of the story, no I take that back, the entire story. I mean don't get me wrong, there were certain parts I enjoyed and certains ideas/concepts that were novels and fascinating, but as a whole the movie just doesn't work.

Trailers and the fact that's it's based off something written by Stephen King make it look like garbage.

Definitely not going to see this one.

I loved the movie. It's atmosphere is a lot like the first Silent Hill game, which in turn took elements from the original short story. The ending seriously pissed me off though.

I was intrigued by the commercials, then my friends told me there were giant bugs and/or demons in the mist. I thought they were lying so I watched the trailer....I totally wish they were lying now.

Reviews have actually been decent. it was the same team that did Shawshank and the Green Mile so it can't be that bad. I will probably wait until the dollar theater though. Not one of my favorite King stories

[quote name='Liquid 2']Trailers and the fact that's it's based off something written by Stephen King make it look like garbage.

Definitely not going to see this one.[/quote]

Just because it's from Stephen King doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad flick. It turned out good, and the same goes for Shawshank Redemption (amazing piece of film) and The Green Mile. This one just can't hold up on its own/the acting was cheesy/good concept, but poor execution/why the fuck did I have to see the commercials/trailers/previews for this one which just ended up ruining the entire movie/etc.

from what ive seen of the commercials it seems like a mix of the fog and phantoms all shot in a grocery store. i wish theyd go ahead and do the girl who loved tom gordon as a film that is the only steven king book i want to see as a movie.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']This movie sucked. The previews gave far far too much away. Don't waste your money and just watch all the tv spots, theatrical trailers/trailers, and previews of the movie and you should pretty much be able to get the gist of the story, no I take that back, the entire story. I mean don't get me wrong, there were certain parts I enjoyed and certains ideas/concepts that were novels and fascinating, but as a whole the movie just doesn't work.[/quote]
I have to earnestly disagree. The majority of the gore, monsters, etc., have been well hidden in the trailers. Regardless the story isn't really about monsters that kill people. They are a means to an end to tell the story about the breakdown of humanity. If you go into the story expecting a monster movie, then yeah, you may not enjoy it.

The ending is a fantastic piece of work and elicited a certain HOLY SHIT! - type of reaction. I willl absolutely not ruin it for anyone and I ask that others do the same for those willing to see it, but it is completely polarizing. It really reminded me of an old-school John Carpenter styling back when Carpenter was still relevant. It's a gut punch and like The Shawnshank Redemption, I think this will generally evolve into a horror classic because it's been a really, really long time since there was a horror film like this that was aimed at adults, not teenagers. It's a gut punch and I literally threw up my hands in the theater when I saw what was coming.

For the people who like clean Hollywood endings, yeah they may hate it, but for people who are more open minded and willing to think about where the film was coming from, it'll be slowly appreciated.

Finally Toby Jone (Ollie) was fantastic!

Alright, someone just put up a spoiler on the plot synopsis and ending. I'm never going to see it anyway. I don't have the stomach for these kinds of movies.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Alright, someone just put up a spoiler on the plot synopsis and ending. I'm never going to see it anyway. I don't have the stomach for these kinds of movies.[/quote]
Please don't. Somehow, someway, the story will end up being ruined for people who want to watch this. If you need to see what happens, ask for a PM.

Reviews:
BY GLENN WHIPP - FILM CRITIC

Frank Darabont ("The Shawshank Redemption," "The Green Mile") returns to his B-movie roots with the lean (by Darabont's standards, anyway) and mean horror movie "The Mist," a film whose view of mankind is dimmer than its alien-induced weather conditions.

"The Mist" marks the third time Darabont has adapted Stephen King for the screen, but it's the first occasion he has dived headfirst into one of the author's trippy nightmares. The only thing Darabont changes from King's 1980 extended short story is the ending, tamping down the source material's ambiguity in favor of a somewhat contrived "Twilight Zone" twist.

If the film's finale proves more gutsy in theory than it does in practice, it doesn't completely erase the fine, fatalistic freak show that Darabont delivers early on. "The Mist" is a twist on the old adage that the monster within us is far worse than the one lying in wait. And all it takes is a little fear to unleash the beast.

The day after an electrical storm knocks out power, the residents of a Maine town head to the local market to stock up on groceries and swap stories. But slow checkout lines are the least of locals' problems when an old-timer comes barreling into the Food House screaming, "The mist took John Leeves! The mist took John Leeves!"

Up 'til then, folks figured "the mist" to be some kind of quirky weather front passing through town. Then a tentacle appears and soon there's a bug problem that can't be eradicated by the store's stock of pest strips. The town's designated nutjob offers her forecast:

"It's death. It's judgment day."

Thanks to Marcia Gay Harden's fearless performance, that character, the Bible-packing zealot Mrs. Carmody, becomes the movie's best conceit. What if the crazy lady isn't so crazy? As one character puts it: "Scare people badly enough, you'll get them to do anything. They'll turn to whatever promises a solution."

And dear Mrs. Carmody has plenty of ideas.

Lest you think Darabont is pushing some political hot buttons here, remember he's working from a screenplay he wrote a good 10 years ago based upon source material more than a quarter century old.

No, "The Mist," with its mix of old-school B-movie horror (hand-held cameras instills the events with an alarming immediacy) and psychological warfare, posits that we've always been closer to the
societal disintegration of "Lord of the Flies" than we'd like to believe.

"You don't have much faith in humanity, do you?" one woman asks as things are turning from bad to worse.

"None whatsoever," comes the reply.

That's the spirit of "The Mist," and Darabont nails the vibe completely.

The setting is a pretty Maine village — a clue bright as a lighthouse beacon that Stephen King has something to do with the horror that follows in The Mist. Upstanding residents go about their business, which includes shopping for groceries after a storm. Then a thick, mean, white, wet fog rolls in, and with it come giant, hideous creatures from a hellish other dimension (some buglike and winged, others tentacled and slimy), hungry for anyone caught outside. So those in the supermarket barricade themselves inside. And then the real human-on-human evil begins.

The bugs and such are gross enough — and yet so very handsome — in Frank Darabont's nifty, unusually spry, and almost shockingly pessimistic low-budget adaptation of King's 1980 extended short story. (Abandon all hope, ye who remember the original, unresolved ending.) But it's the good people of classic Kingville, brought to life by an energized cast including Thomas Jane, Andre Braugher, and Laurie Holden, who ought to scare the bejesus out of audiences. There's a grim modern parable to be read into the dangerous effects of the gospel-preaching local crazy lady Mrs. Carmody (brilliantly played by a hellfire Marcia Gay Harden) on a congregation of the fearful. Under the circumstances, when a feisty neighbor (Frances Sternhagen) bonks Mrs. C on the head with a can of peas, the gesture counts as a declaration of independence.

until i saw the monsters in the preview on fearnet i thought it was just a Clone of FOG

i watch it at the buck show or on DVD (what i heard the movie should be out in late feb)

Father kills everyone thinking its better to die via his hand than the mist monkeys. He goes to kill himself, but oh shit, he's out of bullets.

Then he goes into the mist to die when the army shows up and saves the day. Father could have waited a couple more minutes and everything would have been fine.

An excellent ending IMO. None of that, everything is good and happy bullshit.

[quote name='crystalklear64']
Father kills everyone thinking its better to die via his hand than the mist monkeys. He goes to kill himself, but oh shit, he's out of bullets.

Then he goes into the mist to die when the army shows up and saves the day. Father could have waited a couple more minutes and everything would have been fine.

An excellent ending IMO. None of that, everything is good and happy bullshit.[/quote]That's a pretty awesome ending.

An excellent ending IMO. None of that, everything is good and happy bullshit.[/quote]

That's actually a way better ending than the book.

But still, the book was so shitty, and the previews told pretty much all of the core story of the book, so unless they added a ton of shit, it's a waste.

An excellent ending IMO. None of that, everything is good and happy bullshit.[/QUOTE]

That actually makes me want to see the movie.

I had mixed feelings about the movie. It was good to see some focus on how everyone reacts when trapped in a store for so long(cults and what not). Some of the special effects were alright to mediocre cgi wise. The ending was good. Seeing the religious nuts and stuff was good but I didn't care much for the predictable monster gorings.

I really want to see this movie, I liked Stephen King alot. I didn't read the spoiler but I think that most of his endings suck balls "See The Ending of the Langoliers". However alot of his stuff I find really scary. In fact I think 1408 was the best horror movie this year.

The Mist is one of my favorite Stephen King short stories, so I'll definitely have to check out the film. I've actually been quite anxious for it since I heard a movie was in production almost five years ago. Not sure I like the sound of the film's ending, though...

how is the visual special effects? or is it a glimps here and there and more of a sound then actually seeing the thing(s)??

[quote name='darthbudge']I really want to see this movie, I liked Stephen King alot. I didn't read the spoiler but I think that most of his endings suck balls "See The Ending of the Langoliers".[/quote]
That ending was a huge letdown. It's like he can think all these crazy ass things up, but nees someone else to write the ending.

He said he liked the ending the the movie better than his book, and that ending sounds awesome. Saved myself the time and money watching the movie.

I am seeing this tomorrow......I am decently excited about seeing it.

I love survival horror. Even if its bad I will still love it because I just cant get enough of the survival horror genre of movies, games, video games, books.

I really liked this film and I went into the movie thinking it was going to be bad. The acting wasnt the best but besides that it was a great B-horror film.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It couldn't have possibly been worse than Beowulf. Hell, Hitman was probably better than Beowulf.[/quote]

I'm with you on that, Beowulf was just God awful. Pukish. Terrible. i hated the animation, and all it did was making me nauseous/dizzy like how some FPS can make some people

An excellent ending IMO. None of that, everything is good and happy bullshit.[/quote]

The ending was the best part of the movie.

I liked the short story. I usually cringe when a movie based on a book is made. The movie almost never lives up to the book (Starship Troopers and Skipped Parts immediately come to mind).

I loved The Shawshank Redemption and have not read the book since I do not want anything taken away from the whole movie experience.

I will check the movie out and judge it for myself.

[quote name='ITDEFX']how is the visual special effects? or is it a glimps here and there and more of a sound then actually seeing the thing(s)??[/quote]

The thing about the movie is that this a low-budget film. Just because it has CG in it doesn't mean that they had a huge budget. Keep that in mind. The total budget of the film is $17 million dollars according to Wiki which is absolutely miniscule. It's only about $7 million more than the Saw films and look at what Frank Darabont did with that money.

The entire film was speed shot in like 37 days total using the crew of 'The Sheild' and I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of stuff wasn't cut out, especially since Frank Darabont was working with The Weinstein Company (who are notorious for trimming stuff).

I saw it yesterday, really enjoyed it. I didn't think the trailers gave much away at all, not sure why people say they did. On the other hand I specifically try not to pay too much attention to trailers once I've decided I want to see a movie, it can only give something away.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Man wow! That movie was insane!

I want to talk about it but hold back the spoilers. Did anyone else check it out?[/quote]

right tell yas what, i have a decent taste in movies, i'll let alot of shit slide, and i really mean an uncermountable amount of inconsistancies... straight off, I loved the cast, the cast were dead on, but come on to fuck the plot ended like the run down to payday, the mist cleared what 30 secs after the guy shot his one fucking son, guys, honestly, is that not simply bad taste. its hardly a paradox, shitty ending for me, ruined the whole bloody experience, why did the fog lift? eh? cause there was a few US mil guys with flamethrowers, christ its a stephen king, i havent yet read the book this one time yet, but *sigh* im not gonna if this is the type of shit he's willing to slap a 17 mill sticker to, guys, hate to say it but im out, fully detested, dont get me wrong, i like slapping phonny christians, i love an endless struggle, but jee-sus the guy kills everyone and the motorcade rolls in and does next to fuck all to solve the problem, but weak assed flamethrowers, that batlike alien took what 2 mins to put down under fire, agggghh there is no emoticon for what i feel !!! lol miss it like the plague, then be sure, wait out for the 6 others before you watch it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back