Home Console Web Browsers

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
As a PS3 owner I of course have access to the built in web browser, but it's perplexing to me. I assume most people have a computer, if not a computer in close proximity to their console. So while it's a nice feature to have at my disposal if I care to use it, I certainly dont need it. I'm just curious if people's views of or usage of web browsers in their consoles differ greatly from mine. So post away ... how often do you use the web browser in a home console and what are your thoughts on it?

I use my Wii Browser to watch youtube videos on my TV, this was handy for watching UK TV shows that had been posted on Youtube. I don't use it so much now as I get my UK telly via other means.

I think its ridiculous that the 360 doesn't have a web browser, but I guess that would effect MS's core IE business, although that seems like flimsy reasoning as MS keep telling us that no-one wants to surf the web on a console anyway.

without a keyboard a web browser is useless.

even with a keyboard a web browser is mostly pointless considering the lack of plugin support (like flash) will severely limit your ability to browse most of the web.

i have a HTPC and that works just fine.

in the time it takes to enter a Web address on a conosle, I could pull out my laptop and get where I need to be. It just seems to be more hassle than it's worth if you have access to a home computer.

[quote name='benjamouth']I think its ridiculous that the 360 doesn't have a web browser, but I guess that would effect MS's core IE business, although that seems like flimsy reasoning as MS keep telling us that no-one wants to surf the web on a console anyway.[/quote]I for one am glad the 360 doesn't have a web browser. Well... glad it doesn't have IE specifically (there's no way in hell the 360 would use any other browser anyway).

The last thing the world needs is having such a incompetent browser gaining more ground in the browser market.

I used the Wii browser a lot when my g/f and I moved into our new house, since my Wii was hooked up a week or two before my computer was. Since then, I mainly use it to watch YouTube on the couch, but only about once a week or so...

I only use my Wii browser to watch the occasional Youtube video when I go to my parent's house. Otherwise, I never use it. It's pointless.

I'll use the Wii one since my computer is downstairs, and I only have one cable modem (that I move between it and the consoles). So, it's a pretty big headache to move everything to get online via the computer. So, I use mine a reasonable amount.

It's pretty obnoxious. Using a controller or Wiimote to use the innanet is more annoying than anything. And I've got my computer like right next to all that noise, so that's obviously omre convenient anyway.

Oh, and Munch - I freakin' love that avatar.

Tried the Wii one a couple times when I had it, thought it sucked. Slow and clunky loading pages, sucked without having a keyboard (and wouldn't use it enough to put a keyboard in there).

But really, I just have no use for a web browser on my TV when I already have a desktop and a laptop and wireless.

Never use one. then again, my PC is hooked up to my TV.

I use the PSP browser occasionally.

Oh, forgot to mention that I don't have a Wii or PS3, so I don't console-surf. But I have my PC and 360 hooked up to the same TV, so I wouldn't use their browsers if I had one anyway.

Well, considering my PC died on me several months back, I've been using either the PS3 or Wii browser almost every day. Clunky? Sure, but for now I'm too poor (or maybe just cheap, I forget) to get a new PC, so right now for me console web browsers are pretty handy.

Rarely do I use the Wii browser.

Mainly, it's when I'm tinkering inside my computer, and I bring the instructions up on the Wii to look at.

I find it amazing that the Planet Web browser on the Dreamcast seems to be ALOT better than the browser on my PS3, 8 YEARS LATER

I use mine on my Wii to watch Youtube videos and play flash games quite often actually. It is also really convenient when I am stuck in a game and then I can just go look up a guide without turning on a computer.

My computer is hooked up to the same monitor as my consoles so an inferior web browser on them is useless to me. I've used my PSP's browser a few times though.

I use my PS3's web browser all the time to download videos and podcasts to the PS3, so it's extremely useful for me. It's much better to be able to watch The 1up Show on a TV than a computer screen.

bread's done
Back