Homemade Jerky--Share your recipes, tips

Cry Havoc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm thinking about making my own homemade jerky. Anyone out there made their own before? I haven't bought a dehydrator yet. A guy I used to work with used to make his by putting his meat in the oven on low heat for a few hours and he loved it, but I never got his recipe or a chance to see how it tasted.

So how about it? Anyone have any experience with making jerky in a dehydrator or kitchen oven? I'd love to hear your experiences. What worked, what didn't work? Is it even worth the hassle? Did it save you money, or was it just nice to make it how you like it?

No, but Jack Links wants yo number!

He all like "Dayum boooy! You got mad protien so you nice fo mah little work out regimen, but you got mad sodium too... makin me all bloated an shit!"

There are tons of recipes out there, lots of ways to dry it out.

I've done it first- or second- hand using low oven heat, a special dehydrator, and just a bunch of racks set out to dry. It's the easiest thing, there's really nothing to it. You just wait. Letting it dry naturally gives the best result IMO, but it's been a while since I had jerky.

If you do it inside, be aware that your jerky making will stink up the joint. I had an old roommate who made a bunch of jerky, that's how I've come across most of my experience, and the dried meat operations could really produce some awful smells that hang in the air for a while.

The stench bothered me, I haven't done anything with jerky after that old roommate just to avoid the smell. But hey, maybe you enjoy sleeping in a meat locker.

I tried to make buffalo jerky in the oven. I did something wrong, because it came out terrible. I haven't tried since, I even bought some jerky seasoning from a Bass Pro Shop. Maybe I should have tried with regular beef instead of trying to be fancy with bison.

[quote name='2DMention']This'll pull the CAG rednecks out of the walls.[/QUOTE]

Nah...no redneck here.

I make jerky all the time. I use a dehydrator exactly like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-5-Tier-Rotating-Food-Dehydrator/5871078?findingMethod=rr

It's very easy. I use ground turkey and mix in a spice cure that I bought at Cabela's up north last year. It usually takes about 5-8 hours to dry and I will make sticks and strips of jerky. I've also done dried fruit, but prefer to just use it for jerky. ;) I just find it so easy to make your own and flavor it the way you would like.

I also have a friend at work that makes her own jerky now...after I showed her how!...and she's made venison jerky and even kangaroo! Yes...she had kangaroo meat shipped to her this past summer. She made me a roo-burger...not bad.

bread's done
Back