Homicide: Life on the Street - The Complete Series - $49.99 (7 seasons)

Dragon164z

CAGiversary!
Homicide: Life on the Street - The Complete Series (repackaged) - $49.99

It says "repackaged", but I'm not sure what that means. This is the lowest price this set has ever been sold for on Amazon, so I was concerned that it was too good a price to be new, but I actually ordered it a few days ago when it was $54.99 and it just arrived today. It was apparently factory shrink wrapped and doesn't appear to be used in any way. I'm assuming "repackaged" means that the packaging has changed from what it originally was? Whatever the case, this is what I received, shrink wrapped and apparently unsullied:

homicide.jpg
homicide1-7.jpg

If you're unaware, this series is originally based on Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon, creator of The Wire. He worked as a writer and producer on this show, and apparently "many of The Wire's characters and incidents also came from Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets." I haven't seen any part of this show before (I hear that the 7th season isn't great), but I have watched the entirety of the The Wire and thus I have a voracious appetite for anything related to David Simon.

The Complete Series originally came in an elaborate "Filing Cabinet" packaging. I'd much rather have this repackaging, looks better on the shelf.

I can't remember if I ever saw this or not but I'm kind of tempted to blind buy this based on the fact that it's made by Simon and the solid reviews it has. I just got a $25 amazon GC which isn't helping the matter.

seems like it's $53.99 now from 3rd party sellers (which offer Prime).
i'd prob get this later, but will keep an eye out for it. thanks OP for introducing this series.

I was mulling it over by now that they raised the price I'm probably not going to pull the trigger. If it drops back down I'll bite

great, great series. i have the "old" packaging, and though cool, it doesn't even fit on a shelf. at 49.99 i'd recommend it. a lot of good tv in there. i am a huge "The Wire" fan though, so i obviously like this kind of police drama

[quote name='Scotts85']The Complete Series originally came in an elaborate "Filing Cabinet" packaging. I'd much rather have this repackaging, looks better on the shelf.[/QUOTE]
Shelf or not that "filing cabinet" is awesome.
[quote name='Wizzleteets']This show is fantastic. I was a huge fan of it back in the 90s. If you're even a remote fan of The WIRE, pick it up.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. One of my favorite shows of all time. Of course I'm a bit jaded considering I'm from Baltimore and I'm a cop. Ha.

As one of the Amazon reviews said, this set doesn't have subtitles, which is a pain in the ass for any accents if you want to know exactly what is being said.

Looks like the 49.99 price point is currently unavailable. OP did you buy it from Amazon or the marketplace? If it was the marketplace, what was the name of the vendor?

[quote name='S_G']Looks like the 49.99 price point is currently unavailable. OP did you buy it from Amazon or the marketplace? If it was the marketplace, what was the name of the vendor?[/QUOTE]

The seller (ABC_DVD) raised the price to $53.99 as stated in the thread

[quote name='Stele']As one of the Amazon reviews said, this set doesn't have subtitles, which is a pain in the ass for any accents if you want to know exactly what is being said.[/QUOTE]

That is indeed disappointing. When watching The Wire I temporarily utilized the subtitles multiple times during most episodes. Sometimes it would just be because I couldn't understand a word, but many times I couldn't understand entire sentences. I found that some of the black characters (obviously including Snoop) and Baltimore slang were occasionally nearly unintelligible without subtitles, and I'm a native English speaker from New England. Hopefully Homicide won't give me much trouble.

Lol, Snoop actually was a drug dealer, did time and was from Baltimore. No wonder the acting was brilliant.

bread's done
Back