Hori Fighting Stick EX 2 Xbox 360 $29.99 shipped (Amazon)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the placement of the LB and RB buttons on this, it's virtually useless for SSFIV, right?

You know, you can edit the button mapping on ssfiv option.

The real question is , is this durable for 'heavy' use?

[quote name='Eldredpe']Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the placement of the LB and RB buttons on this, it's virtually useless for SSFIV, right?[/QUOTE]

You could just remap the button layout in the controller settings. LT and LB can also be input by pressing LP+MP+HP or LK+MK+HK.

I have the Soul Calibur IV version of this one, it's not too shabby. Better than a SE madcatz stick, but of course it's nowhere near TE quality. $30 is good though.

I actually have 2 of these, both purchased at the regular 49.99/59.99 (changes every now and then). Now I'm no fighting game expert or anything, but for me, someone who was looking to get into the genre the RIGHT way and learn using a stick, they have been excellent. Don't expect to get TE quality out of them, and yes they are only 3 buttons to a row (just learn to do Ultras with three buttons at a time, eventually it becomes second nature), but they are definately good for someone looking to get into fighting games. You really can't beat the price, and at 29.99 they are an absolute steal.

I've used them for SSFIV and BlazBlue in particular.

Note: these are way more of a bitch to mod than the Madcatz SE, so don't buy this thinking you've got a cheap starter to a heavily modded stick.

[quote name='Chardyll']You could just remap the button layout in the controller settings. LT and LB can also be input by pressing LP+MP+HP or LK+MK+HK.

I have the Soul Calibur IV version of this one, it's not too shabby. Better than a SE madcatz stick, but of course it's nowhere near TE quality. $30 is good though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

I suppose one extra button isn't so bad when they're in a row like that.

I never liked this stick. If it gets a ton of use, it isn't the most durable. Though I have a TE stick, I guess $30 isn't a bad price if you aren't going to wear it out anytime soon.

I really like this stick, I own a TE stick and this one still gets plenty of use. It's nice and light, and rests in my lap easier then the TE does. As far as the bumper buttons, if your playing SF, you shouldn't need to really use the bumpers, just learn to hit 3 buttons at once.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the placement of the LB and RB buttons on this, it's virtually useless for SSFIV, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is why I gave mine away and bought the SFIV TE stick. Get that or the Blazblue stick by Aksys.

TE Stick "round 1 version" gave me a bad taste in my mouth. Bought it and used for 2 minutes until I got a "please reconnect controller" message. It would do that randomly at any time. After an hour of that I returned it. At this point I just want something that works.

[quote name='Hardware']TE Stick "round 1 version" gave me a bad taste in my mouth. Bought it and used for 2 minutes until I got a "please reconnect controller" message. It would do that randomly at any time. After an hour of that I returned it. At this point I just want something that works.[/QUOTE]

Its probably the best stick on the market and you got a defective one, it happens...

Had mine since day 1 and it still works flawlessly.

I have the PS3 version of this entry level Hori stick and I really love it. I am not a huge fighting genre fan but still play them occasionally and this stick really made the experience better. It gives you a feeling of nostalgia if you ever did play in arcades when you were younger.
I would recommend a stick like this for the casual player but maybe not the hardcore player, unless you are looking for a second cheap stick for a guest to use.
On a side note, I believe these models are a bit harder to modify. They require soldering rather than just plugging in any replaced components. The TE and higher end editions I hear are much easier that way.

This is a decent stick for 30 bucks. It will give you something to learn on and when you are ready to buy a TE then you have a second stick for a friend.

Maybe it's just me and the people I know, but we actually prefer only 6 buttons. I wouldn't go so far as to say that "real" players don't use the 3P or 3K buttons, but I almost never see anyone use it. As for SSFIV, you can go into settings and choose Arcade stick instead of controller, the buttons will be mapped correctly; it's literally changing one option. The Madcatz use the same button configuration as the controller so you don't have to change anything.

I have this joystick (modified), it's PS3 sibling, and the Madcatz SE (modified). Unmodified, I would go definitely get this joystick. If you plan on modding, then Madcatz SE is super easy...I wouldn't even calling modding...more like swapping. For someone who plays a bit rougher or just plays more, I could only recommend the Madcatz TE since it's much more durable.

I have an EX2 (Virtua Fighter Edition) AND an HRAP3.
BOTH are modded (by me).

PS3 HRAP3 I changed all the buttons and added 360 for tri-system support PS3/360/PC
THIS was a VERY difficult and expensive mod, and I wouldn't recommend it.

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO MOD THE EX2
The ONLY thing you REALLY need to do is add the 8-way "Octagon Gate" aka Sanwa “GT-Y” Octagonal Restrictor Plate which is a $10 mod.
Yes Hori buttons are crap, but the mod is WAY more complicated.
The improvement in the stick response is all you really need to get started, and it's EASY.

ENJOY!

I have one of these. It's pretty crappy - but passable - for fighting games. Or if you play a lot of arcade type games, this isn't a bad purchase... I mean, it's $30.

bread's done
Back