Hot stove topic (offseason baseball)

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='goldengraham']The A's deal for Kendall was a pretty even trade monetary wise.

Rhodes and Redman's next two years come sto about even with Kendall's, especially with the Pirates paying a couple mil towards his 06 salary.

People say Beane is overrated but he seems to get it done almost every year, I'm not gonna doubt him, but this year doesnt have me feeling too great with Anaheim's moves (Seattle's pitching is still awful, Sexson (overrated) and Beltre (one good season) can't change that)[/quote]

you seem to forget Texas though. Without some key injuries late in the season, they could have made the postseason.

also I do agree with you. With the amount of times he has been to the postseason, and the payroll he has, he has done a great job. That team needed a shake-up as it was not getting past the first round, and even if they struggle now, they could be amazing in the future.[/quote]

Texas needs more arms which has been the case the 20 years I have watched baseball. Getting rid of AROD was masterful mainly because of getting out of that contract

[quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='goldengraham']The A's deal for Kendall was a pretty even trade monetary wise.

Rhodes and Redman's next two years come sto about even with Kendall's, especially with the Pirates paying a couple mil towards his 06 salary.

People say Beane is overrated but he seems to get it done almost every year, I'm not gonna doubt him, but this year doesnt have me feeling too great with Anaheim's moves (Seattle's pitching is still awful, Sexson (overrated) and Beltre (one good season) can't change that)[/quote]

you seem to forget Texas though. Without some key injuries late in the season, they could have made the postseason.

also I do agree with you. With the amount of times he has been to the postseason, and the payroll he has, he has done a great job. That team needed a shake-up as it was not getting past the first round, and even if they struggle now, they could be amazing in the future.[/quote]

Texas needs more arms which has been the case the 20 years I have watched baseball. Getting rid of AROD was masterful mainly because of getting out of that contract[/quote]

they have some good young pitching. They lost like 3 of their starters last year due to injury though.

[quote name='goldengraham']The A's deal for Kendall was a pretty even trade monetary wise.

Its not even at all. Rhodes and Redman make 15 million combined over the next two years, about 3+ million a year each. Kendall makes $34 million over the next 3 years, 11+ per year. In 2007, the Pirates are paying 5 million to the A's, but the A's are paying them 1 million a year for the next 2 years. He did get rid of some bad contracts (that he himself signed those players to), but Kendall is one of the most overpaid players in baseball.

just saw on ESPN bottom ticker, Tino is returning to the Bronx.

I guess Giambi is going to be relagated to DH (if he even plays next year)

[quote name='CaseyRyback']just saw on ESPN bottom ticker, Tino is returning to the Bronx.

I guess Giambi is going to be relagated to DH (if he even plays next year)[/quote]

Without his special "stuff" Giambi's a scrub just like his brother

[quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='CaseyRyback']just saw on ESPN bottom ticker, Tino is returning to the Bronx.

I guess Giambi is going to be relagated to DH (if he even plays next year)[/quote]

Without his special "stuff" Giambi's a scrub just like his brother[/quote]

the yankees can rot in hell for all i care. i despise the yankees with a passion and it looks like i'll have even more reason to despise them in a few days.

[quote name='jlarlee']I really see the yanks imploding this year[/quote]

They just won't. They will at least make the playoffs - it's not like they patched together an entire team that may or may not work. They have proven stars that have been there before.

Also, since Tino is coming back, I see Giambi playing the bench once Bernie moves to DH and Beltran to center...

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='jlarlee']I really see the yanks imploding this year[/quote]

They just won't. They will at least make the playoffs - it's not like they patched together an entire team that may or may not work. They have proven stars that have been there before.

Also, since Tino is coming back, I see Giambi playing the bench once Bernie moves to DH and Beltran to center...[/quote]

The mistake they are making is they are getting old. The end is nigh for them I believe if not this year it will be the next

While I hate to see the yanks get johnson I do like that they had to five up so much to score him. Arizona is sure going to have a potent offense next year

I highly doubt that beltran is going to new york yanks...he is highly overratted...a .260is hitter last year..jd drew had better numbers and is the same age...if the mets don't highly overpay him, I wouldn't be suprised if he stayed in houston

[quote name='dafoomie']Looks like Beltran is about to sign with the Mets.[/quote]

This would be great news as the Mets are my favorite team. They are going to have a pretty good team next year if this happens. I don't think they will make the playoffs but who knows... what they really need is to get a new stadium - Shea is where hitters go to die. It will help Pedro though...

Reyes (SS)
Matsui (2B)
Beltran (CF)
Piazza (C)
Cameron (LF)
Floyd (RF)
Wright (3B)

They just need a 1B - I don't think the Big Cat is going to cut it...

Their rotation is pretty solid too: Martinez, Glavine, Trachsel, Bensen and Zambrano... not bad...

I hate Zambrano..I will always stress this as a met fan and that Any man with the last name Duquette should be banned from baseball...How in the hell would you trade the best pitching prospect in the AAA for Oft Injured Zambrano...No good man..

Yeah the mets are looking decent but there are still so many questions with health...floyd,Piazza,Reyes,and matsui allhave health issues.....I wish they did the reyes for Soriano deal......Soriano just had a bad beat with the injury this year but he be better than reyes..

Well they might get Delgado...IF they get Delgado than it will set...

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='dafoomie']Looks like Beltran is about to sign with the Mets.[/quote]

This would be great news as the Mets are my favorite team. They are going to have a pretty good team next year if this happens. I don't think they will make the playoffs but who knows... what they really need is to get a new stadium - Shea is where hitters go to die. It will help Pedro though...

Reyes (SS)
Matsui (2B)
Beltran (CF)
Piazza (C)
Cameron (LF)
Floyd (RF)
Wright (3B)

They just need a 1B - I don't think the Big Cat is going to cut it...

Their rotation is pretty solid too: Martinez, Glavine, Trachsel, Bensen and Zambrano... not bad...[/quote]

How about Mo Vaughn? :wink:

Heard the Tigers dropped out of the Beltran running.

Cubs have a shot...but then again, they really don't. If they had traded Sammy, I would've expected Beltran to go to the Cubs.

Astros aren't going to be able to muster up enough cash. They'll get outbid by one of the New York teams.

The Yankees may finally be strapped for cash.

The Mets will be the winner in the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes, although they'll grossly overpay a guy who's a really good player, just not an elite one.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I wonder, if the Tigers got him, would it turn into another Juan-Gon?[/quote]

you make fun of that trade, and I literally broke down in tears when they dealt him. Same thing when they let Pudge go

Wow a decently busy weekend. 7 years at 119 mil may be a bit steep for beltran, also the dodgers will regret paying lowe 36 mil for 4 years

Lowe got more than Clement and Miller combined. Not a smart signing.

Beltran got a rediculous contract... No coincidence that these are both Scott Bora$'s players.

Wow now the Mets are gonna throw money at Delgado. If this team doesn't win the division it is going to be a disaster on scale with the titantic

Nice, Cleveland got Millwood. Definitely a good addition to a team with many young pitching talents that really have no veterans to learn from.

Dodgers look like they could be in some trouble... I know they resigned Perez and look like they are going to sign Lowe, but they've already lost Beltre and Shawn Green...who do they have that can even hit anymore.

[quote name='mattatskul']Dodgers look like they could be in some trouble... I know they resigned Perez and look like they are going to sign Lowe, but they've already lost Beltre and Shawn Green...who do they have that can even hit anymore.[/quote]

As a guy familar with Lowe after watching him for many years signing Lowe should not be counted as a good thing

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I wonder, if the Tigers got him, would it turn into another Juan-Gon?[/quote]

you make fun of that trade, and I literally broke down in tears when they dealt him. Same thing when they let Pudge go[/quote]

When did the Tigers let Pudge go?

Edit: He is still on the team:

Catchers B/T Ht Wt DOB
15 Brandon Inge R/R 5-11 195 05/19/77
7 Ivan Rodriguez R/R 5-9 220 11/30/71
30 Chris Shelton R/R 6-0 220 06/26/80
** Vance Wilson R/R 5-11 190 03/17/73

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I wonder, if the Tigers got him, would it turn into another Juan-Gon?[/quote]

you make fun of that trade, and I literally broke down in tears when they dealt him. Same thing when they let Pudge go[/quote]

When did the Tigers let Pudge go?[/quote]

As far as I know, they haven't.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I wonder, if the Tigers got him, would it turn into another Juan-Gon?[/quote]

As far as I know, they haven't.[/quote]

Casey is a Rangers fan I believe he is referring to when they let him go to the marlins

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I wonder, if the Tigers got him, would it turn into another Juan-Gon?[/quote]

Yup. Found it. I think he was talking about the Marlins. My bad.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I wonder, if the Tigers got him, would it turn into another Juan-Gon?[/quote]

Yup. Found it. I think he was talking about the Marlins. My bad.[/quote]

Ahh, I actually liked him on the Marlins since I was somewhat of a fan of them.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I wonder, if the Tigers got him, would it turn into another Juan-Gon?[/quote]

Ahh, I actually liked him on the Marlins since I was somewhat of a fan of them.[/quote]

Well, he helped us recover from our HORRIBLE season.

And on a side note, The Tigers are looking to sign Maglio Ordonez. I hope it goes through. Percival and Ordonez in one year? This could help out the Tigers immensely.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I wonder, if the Tigers got him, would it turn into another Juan-Gon?[/quote]

Ahh, I actually liked him on the Marlins since I was somewhat of a fan of them.[/quote]

And on a side note, The Tigers are looking to sign Maglio Ordonez. I hope it goes through. Percival and Ordonez in one year? This could help out the Tigers immensely.[/quote]

That could happen, but this seems to be the year to get paid. A lot of players are getting over-paid, though that could be attributed to Boras and the agents that are demanding these prices though their client may not be worth it or able to live up to it.

Anyone have a number on projected payroll for the Mets now with the Beltran signing? I read on one of the sports pages that they are still going to go hard after Beltran and somesort of pitching (which they really need). It is amazaing to see the yankees reaching a limit in their spending!

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I wonder, if the Tigers got him, would it turn into another Juan-Gon?[/quote]

And on a side note, The Tigers are looking to sign Maglio Ordonez. I hope it goes through. Percival and Ordonez in one year? This could help out the Tigers immensely.[/quote]

That could happen, but this seems to be the year to get paid. A lot of players are getting over-paid, though that could be attributed to Boras and the agents that are demanding these prices though their client may not be worth it or able to live up to it.[/quote]

Yeah. *cough*Beltran*cough*

Yeah METS!!!! They are looking better and better.... now all they have to do is get Delgado and their lineup will be set. I think the pitching staff needs a little work though - especially at middle relief and closer... The 2005 Mets could actually finish over .500!!!!!

[quote name='javeryh']Yeah METS!!!! They are looking better and better.... now all they have to do is get Delgado and their lineup will be set. I think the pitching staff needs a little work though - especially at middle relief and closer... The 2005 Mets could actually finish over .500!!!!![/quote]

what is their pitching rotation (aside from Pedro?)

[quote name='javeryh']Yeah METS!!!! They are looking better and better.... now all they have to do is get Delgado and their lineup will be set. I think the pitching staff needs a little work though - especially at middle relief and closer... The 2005 Mets could actually finish over .500!!!!![/quote]
"They're built to win the back pages of newspapers in January, but come September they're trying to figure out what to do next year." --Peter Gammons

[quote name='jlarlee']I knew Johnson would chafe under the NY limelight but I had no idea would happen so quickly[/quote]

yeah on the way to a physical even.

oh well, the yankees implosions will begin in oh about 2 1/2 months, when the host the defending World Series Champs.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']what is their pitching rotation (aside from Pedro?)[/quote]

Pedro
Glavine
Bensen
Trachsel
Zambrano

[quote name='dafoomie']"They're built to win the back pages of newspapers in January, but come September they're trying to figure out what to do next year." --Peter Gammons[/quote]

This is true of all of the "big" teams that don't win the World Series or make the playoffs. All I was saying is that it is finally nice to see the Mets organization really trying to put together a winning team. I can't remember the last time the Mets got the #1 most wanted free agent in the off season...

If Delgado wasn't so bloody money hungry, he could've stuck with an organization on the rise, the Blue Jays. Now, he's either going to Texas or the Mets, two places where he's gonna feel immense pressure to succeed on teams that are perennial losers.

RJront011105.JPG

What a prick. Glad we got the good one.

"I don't care who you are. Don't get in my face and don't talk back to me, all right?"

"You'll see what I'm like," Johnson said at the height of the brouhaha.

Moments later, Everett retorted, "Welcome to New York."

"I've had them angry, but never to that extent where the athlete grabbed the camera," Everett told The Post. "And that includes Barry Bonds.

"I've (ticked) Barry Bonds off, but he hasn't done anything like that."

I'm definitly not a Yankee apologist nor one for Randy Johnson, howeve is should be noted that the first thing he did in the press conference today was apologize for his 'foolish act'.

"I'd first like to once again reiterate: The situation yesterday, it was unprofessional," Johnson said, "and obviously I feel very foolish today at such a great moment of my career that I would have to stand before you and apologize for my actions. Hopefully it's water under the bridge."

Johnson added: "Yesterday, my actions were uncalled for. I'm sorry. I hope I can move on and can get another chance to prove that I'm worth coming here."

[quote name='dafoomie']
RJront011105.JPG

"I don't care who you are. Don't get in my face and don't talk back to me, all right?"

"I've had them angry, but never to that extent where the athlete grabbed the camera," Everett told The Post. "And that includes Barry Bonds.

"I've (ticked) Barry Bonds off, but he hasn't done anything like that."[/quote]

Why does someone's personality matter? If RJ is going to strike out 300 people and win 20 games he could be the biggest asshole in the world - it doesn't mean a Yankee fan shouldn't root for him...

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='dafoomie']
RJront011105.JPG

"I've (ticked) Barry Bonds off, but he hasn't done anything like that."[/quote]

Why does someone's personality matter? If RJ is going to strike out 300 people and win 20 games he could be the biggest asshole in the world - it doesn't mean a Yankee fan shouldn't root for him...[/quote]

Team chemistry

bread's done
Back