House apologizes for slavery and Jim Crow

akilshohen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (67%)
WASHINGTON - The House on Tuesday issued an unprecedented apology to black Americans for the wrongs committed against them and their ancestors who suffered under slavery and Jim Crow segregation laws."Today represents a milestone in our nation's efforts to remedy the ills of our past," said Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, D-Mich., chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus.
The resolution, passed by voice vote, was the work of Tennessee Democrat Steve Cohen, the only white lawmaker to represent a majority black district. Cohen faces a formidable black challenger in a primary face-off next week.

Congress has issued apologies before — to Japanese-Americans for their internment during World War II and to native Hawaiians for the overthrow of the Hawaiian kingdom in 1893. In 2005, the Senate apologized for failing to pass anti-lynching laws.
Five states have issued apologies for slavery, but past proposals in Congress have stalled, partly over concerns that an apology would lead to demands for reparations — payment for damages.
No mention of reparations
The Cohen resolution does not mention reparations. It does commit the House to rectifying "the lingering consequences of the misdeeds committed against African-Americans under slavery and Jim Crow."
It says that Africans forced into slavery "were brutalized, humiliated, dehumanized and subjected to the indignity of being stripped of their names and heritage" and that black Americans today continue to suffer from the consequences of slavery and Jim Crow laws that fostered discrimination and segregation.
The House "apologizes to African-Americans on behalf of the people of the United States, for the wrongs committed against them and their ancestors who suffered under slavery and Jim Crow."
"Slavery and Jim Crow are stains upon what is the greatest nation on the face of the earth," Cohen said. Part of forming a more perfect union, he said, "is such a resolution as we have before us today where we face up to our mistakes and apologize as anyone should apologize for things that were done in the past that were wrong."
White lawmaker reaches out
Cohen became the first white to represent the 60 percent black district in Memphis in more than three decades when he captured a 2006 primary in which a dozen black candidates split the vote. He has sought to reach out to his black constituents, and early in his term showed interest in joining the Congressional Black Caucus until learning that was against caucus rules.
Another of his first acts as a freshman congressman in early 2007 was to introduce the slavery apology resolution. His office said that the House resolution was brought to the floor only after learning that the Senate would be unable to join in a joint resolution.
More than a dozen of the 42 Congressional Black Caucus members in the House were original co-sponsors of the measure. The caucus has not endorsed either Cohen or his chief rival, attorney Nikki Tinker, in the Memphis primary, although Cohen is backed by several senior members, including Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers, D-Mich., and Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel, D-N.Y. Tinker is the former campaign manager of Harold Ford, Jr., who held Cohen's seat until he stepped down in an unsuccessful run for the Senate in 2006.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25921453

and a editorial from All hip hop that i agree with.
http://allhiphop.com/stories/editorial/archive/2008/08/01/20358239.aspx
(your loadtime with this site may vary)

What do you think?

"I think every Black person in America should be able to go to college for free."

lol

Mind backing up why you think that makes so much sense?

1) I thought they apologized already.
2) Little late there.
3) Grandma still wants her 40 acres and a mule.
4) Quit ass kissing and do your damn jobs already.

[quote name='VioletArrows']1) I thought they apologized already.
2) Little late there.
3) Grandma still wants her 40 acres and a mule.
4) Quit ass kissing and do your damn jobs already.[/quote]

Here in the Chicago area they want to upgrade that mule to a Lexus.

Uhm... why? It's not like any of them are to blame. Yeah, yeah, they speak for the country and all that, but c'mon. Is it really necessary at this point?

So because some kid's ancestors were slaves, that kid deserves to go to college for free? How the fuck does that work?

Why should the sons be obligated to the sins of our fathers?

We should be more focused on the present issues on hand. The nation's infrastructure is aging and it needs repair, we need to find a way to withdraw from Iraq and begin to dwindle down our forces in Afganistan, we need to bring down our deficit to a 1990-era levels, we need to do so much....and yet we're focusing on this? This does not benefit anyone here in our country.

It doesn't benefit whites, blacks, or Asians....it doesn't benefit the poor or the wealthy. It does nothing to alter our current state or manners that should be addressed.

If anything, African-Americans should be taking note that this is nothing more than a distraction, created by politicans so we lose our focus on other manners.

And that education comment is something else. Scholarships and grants should be given to everybody that can earn it or need it based on income. fuck race, I was offered a number of Korean based scholarships.

And I shot every last one of them down. It is not fair that race alone should be a factor in determining financial aid, peroid.

The Civil War ended in the 1860's and now its 2008. It took a lot of years for an apology to happen.

It could of been worse. Pope John II apologize Galileo for the Church excommunicating him and that apology took centuries...

I can understand where people are coming from, but to say slavery and its after effects don't still affect black people is ignorant. We're talking a people who's close ancestors, some as close as great-grandparents, were no more than property to bought and sold. People who didn't get full rights until less than 40 years ago.

I don't agree that every black person should go to college for free, but there should definitely be more out there to help underprivileged people.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']"I think every Black person in America should be able to go to college for free."

lol

Mind backing up why you think that makes so much sense?[/quote]
First of all that was something Killer Mike said, not that author of the article. I believe that free education would do more rather than putting money directly in people's hands. Me and my friends have talked about it before and think doing things for the community would be of more benefit before we have a real life version of the Dave Chappelle skit.
I agree with the fact that most people think it's bullshit, they seem to have something else up their sleeves if they're apologizing for something they have long tried not to apologize for. There are still plenty of unjust things from the era that affect society and seem normal today.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I can understand where people are coming from, but to say slavery and its after effects don't still affect black people is ignorant. We're talking a people who's close ancestors, some as close as great-grandparents, were no more than property to bought and sold. People who didn't get full rights until less than 40 years ago.

I don't agree that every black person should go to college for free, but there should definitely be more out there to help underprivileged people.[/quote]As a current college student, i can say that they need no more help. Do you realize how much easier it is for a minority to get money for college? I'm gonna be in debt up to my ears when i graduate. I may be white, but my parents didn't have the money to pay for my tuition any more than a minority's family may for theirs. Hell, i was just finally able to qualify for the pell grant, that's only because i no longer have to report my parent's income.

I'm sick of people thinking all minorities are poor as hell, many are able to live better than we do because of all the assistance they get. Why must i be punished or neglected for something my ancestors did centuries ago?

How do i even know if my ancestors owned any slaves, not everyone did.

When did I say minorities should get more money? Please point to the part in my post where I did, because if I did I'll apologize.

I said "underprivileged." Which would probably include your family.

[quote name='M-PG71C']stuff[/QUOTE]

Long time no see M-PG71C.

Like Rei no Otaku saud, slavery happened not to long ago and racism still exists in this country today. Free college is not a solution to these problems, but perhaps investing in our public schools or our infrastructure could help African American families as well as all everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
House? Apologize?

HouseMD1.jpg

Uh-uh.

free college would turn it into high school. And given that high schools suck nowadays, doing that would further deteriorate our already fragile education system.

People need to stop using slavery as a scapegoat for their problems.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']When did I say minorities should get more money? Please point to the part in my post where I did, because if I did I'll apologize.

I said "underprivileged." Which would probably include your family.[/quote]Well i'm sorry if that took that the wrong way, when most people say "underprivileged" they're usually talking about a minority group.

[quote name='JolietJake']As a current college student, i can say that they need no more help. Do you realize how much easier it is for a minority to get money for college?

I'm sick of people thinking all minorities are poor as hell, many are able to live better than we do because of all the assistance they get. Why must i be punished or neglected for something my ancestors did centuries ago?

How do i even know if my ancestors owned any slaves, not everyone did.[/quote]
Please tell me where this easy minority money and assistance is at, because I sure haven't seen any of it. I'm in the same place you are. I don't qualify for any FAFSA assistance either.

[quote name='akilshohen']Please tell me where this easy minority money and assistance is at, because I sure haven't seen any of it. I'm in the same place you are. I don't qualify for any FAFSA assistance either.[/quote]Have you checked for any scholarships? There are private college funds setup to assist minorities.

Qualifying isn't getting. Evidently my father made just enough money that FAFSA and all these cute college funds decided that we should pay all of it, though basically after all necessities were said and done, everything balanced out to us having nothing left for college. At least my brothers and sisters get to go almost since they're finishing high school in florida, whereas maryland didn't have anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back