How best to fix a broken DS Lite screen?

Moses144

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
I got a DS Lite from my sister about a year ago. The problem is, the touch screen is sort of ink cracked. There's a line of black ink or color that runs from the bottom left to the top right. It's dark enough that I often have to guess what word starts a sentence, which is usually easy enough. I've dealt with it, but it's high time I get a fix. With a DS summer soon, I'd like to know my options. It's out of warranty, just so you know.

Any good, reputable repair sites? Nintendo would charge $75 to fix it.

Any way I could somehow fake the DS? I had to buy my other sister a DS, same color, for Christmas. I would obviously not want to do that, but ...

Any ways to easily fix it myself? I have a friend who's somewhat handy, and I think I could follow instructions if it was simple to moderately complex.

Anyone willing to trade a Lite for this? I would give you $40 and my DS Lite.

I feel like Nintendo is my only option. Help!

Opening and working on the DS is a very tedious process. And chances of damaging it even more is high. I would say Nintendo is your only option.

It's a bit hard to tell from your description, but it sounds like you might have a cracked LCD screen. If that's the case, you're not going to be able to repair it by yourself.

I'd either buy a new one or have Nintendo repair it.

As far as faking it for warranty purposes, I wouldn't try that. Wouldn't they be able to tell that the systems didn't match up from the barcode on the back?

If you decide to fix it yourself, go online there are PLENTY of tutorials on this, you just have to find a website to order the replacement parts from and a "triwing" screwdriver to open it since nintendo uses special screws for all their devices

I spent less than 25 shipped for the screen and screwdriver on ebay. It took me about 20 minutes to replace the screen it is very easy if you have any ability at all.

Is $75 really that much? Ds games cost $71 over here in the UK! Dont take the risk.

nothing to do with the OP, but I had to send my Gameboy to nintendo after the screen cracked. they fixed it, sent it out, and it got lost in the mail. They sent out a brand new one, again lost in the mail. But thankfully, 3rd time lucky, the second new one arrived.

Moses: If you ordered the parts from Dealextreme (highly recommended site for price and reputation) it'll probably take at least 2-3 weeks to arrive, but be sure to give us an update here with the results. It's always good to know how a noob fares on these sorts of things, since most of us are.

Easy as pie. The only difficulty was the little part removals, such as pulling a panel that is as small as an ant, or wedging a knife in between an extremely stuck together screen. To those of you with my problem, pay the freaking $10 and fix it yourself.

bread's done
Back