How big of a hard drive can I use on XP and Vista?

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
How large of a hard drive can I use on Windows XP and also on Vista? I hope I'm framing this question correctly. I want one large hard drive not one split up into multiple drives. The reason I ask is I'm moving a lot of files from an XP machine to a Vista machine and would like to condense 4 hd into one large one. Thanks or the assistance in advance!

[quote name='RchrdJ']If it is going to be formatted NTFS (which it should be) the largest XP will support is 2TB, the same as Vista and 7.
http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can use drives larger than 2 TB as long as you are not booting from that drive in XP or Vista.

A 2TB limit... with 1.5 TB available on the cheap now and really affordable 2TB drives around the corner, this kinda looks small, doesn't it?

[quote name='rumarudrathas']A 2TB limit... with 1.5 TB available on the cheap now and really affordable 2TB drives around the corner, this kinda looks small, doesn't it?[/QUOTE]

I can understand why XP would have a limit of 2 TB, it is pretty old. But I'm really surprised that Windows 7 has such a small limit.

[quote name='mogamer']I can understand why XP would have a limit of 2 TB, it is pretty old. But I'm really surprised that Windows 7 has such a small limit.[/QUOTE]

That's because the limit comes from the bios, not windows.

[quote name='n25philly']That's because the limit comes from the bios, not windows.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the mobo bios? So a bios update can change that, right?

[quote name='mogamer']Do you mean the mobo bios? So a bios update can change that, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but from what I've read an update can't fix it. There are a few shipping now that can handle over 2tb, but it likely won't truly be fixed until mobo makers move beyond the bios.

bread's done
Back