How can i hook my notebook up to my tv

erikatwelve

CAG Veteran
Feedback
2 (100%)
can anyone tell me how to hook my notebook (a dell xps ) to my tv. My tv has hdmi and the s cable and my notebook has an s video connection but with 7 holes. I'm trying to watch the videos i have on my notebook on my tv. thanks in advance.

You need a dongle, that 's-vid' port isn't really an s-vid port. It's just an output port which along with a dongle can give you a composite, s-video, or component output. I think Dell sells it on their website.

If you have DVI out, you can just use DVI to HDMI too. Or maybe your computer and TV can be hooked up using VGA (not sure if they'd have them).

[quote name='Vinny']You need a dongle, that 's-vid' port isn't really an s-vid port. It's just an output port which along with a dongle can give you a composite, s-video, or component output. I think Dell sells it on their website.

If you have DVI out, you can just use DVI to HDMI too. Or maybe your computer and TV can be hooked up using VGA (not sure if they'd have them).[/QUOTE]

Actually you can use any S-Video cable and plug into the 7-hole port on the Dell laptop and the other end to the typical S-Video port on the TV. I do this on my Dell all the time. There's no special dongle to buy. Just plug the cable in, go to Display Properties > Advance and set the settings to clone the display on TV (or any other settings you may see fit).

bread's done
Back