How Circuit City Ruined My Weekend - A long short story by billg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: 11/26

Chapter Five: Constant Cacophony.

I am making progress. I actually found a line where people speak English. It's the "Cool Line": 1-800-251-2665. I'm not sure why it's called the Cool Line. It sounds like I should be requesting Top 40 hits or something.

I was transferred to this number after a lengthy exchange with one of the outsourced workers from 1-800-THE-CITY. One of the workers had also said I should take up my complaint with the District Manager of Store 700, Frank. A new name at a new level! I was excited. I had just leveled up in real life.

I spoke to Britney on the Cool Line at extension 21917. I told my lengthy story to her, at the end of which she asked for clarification on a few points. Following this, Britney offered to send me a $10 gift card to make up for my troubles. Yes, ten whole dollars. Circuit City gave me more than that when All-Pro Basketball 2K8 was late on release day. But that's Circuit City for you, wildly incongruous corporate policies.

I informed Britney that this was woefully inadequate, indeed less than I had even spent in gas during my two trips to Store 700. The problem at hand wasn't about $10, it was about how my experiences with City Store 700 had been inexcusably frustrating, that my very basic needs as a customer were not being met at any level of the hierarchy, and that nobody in the entire chain of command had seen fit to sincerely apologize and make amends so that my initial purchase could go through.

Britney stated that there wasn't much else she could do. I told her that all I wanted to do was purchase the items as was intended, at the prices they were offered, utilizing the coupon Circuit City had willingly sent to me. Britney told me that she could not guarantee I would be able to have that simple request met. She offered to call the store and see what could be done.

I waited on hold for a few minutes, after which Britney came back on the line and said that the store was refusing to offer me any assistance in completing this purchase.

Britney and I discussed what options were available for me to see the transaction through. Britney told me that she had suggested that Store 700 mark the items as they were supposed to have been priced when I first attempted to purchase them, however, the store denied her request.

Realizing that I needed to speak to someone in a higher position of authority, I asked to speak to Britney's supervisor. Britney refused to transfer me, stating that she had offered a resolution with the $10 gift card, and that nothing more could be done. I again requested to speak to Britney's supervisor. Britney again steadfastly refused me this courtesy. I asked for contact information for the store's District Manager, Frank. Britney also refused to provide me with this information, saying I needed to ask the store directly. After another request to speak to her supervisor, Britney stated that we had nothing further to discuss and hung up on me.

I called Store 700 and asked for Frank. I was told that Frank was not in today. I requested Frank's contact information. The associate on the other end of the phone placed me on hold. After ten minutes, the conversation disconnected.

I called Store 700 several more times, this time being placed immediately on hold without anyone speaking to me.

After twenty more minutes of these calls, I finally spoke to someone and again requested Frank's contact information. The person said they would need to speak to Lawrence about that, whom you may recall I had spoken to a few days before.

Unfortunately, Lawrence never made it to the phone, instead relaying a royal edict that the store was refusing to give out Frank's contact information, and that I should call the Cool Line if I wanted to have it. You see how that works? The Cool Line tells me to call Store 700, Store 700 tells me to call the Cool Line. Circuit City: We can pass the buck like no one else!

I called the store again and asked to speak directly to Lawrence. After being on hold for five minutes, the associate said that Lawrence would call me back within half an hour. Half an hour later, my phone rang, but it was someone named Jose. Either Lawrence had suddenly gotten in touch with some long-forgotten Hispanic roots, or the buck was being passed yet again.

Jose said that Lawrence was very busy, but that he would be happy to help me. I again requested Frank's contact information. Jose said that he was not going to give that information out. I asked how exactly I was expected to speak to the District Manager if no one could give me his number. Jose did not offer any insight.

As it was soon time for me to make dinner, I finished my call. I then set out to continue to post this information in as many highly-visible places as I could. Indeed, this writing has gone up on several sites, been sent to the Better Business Bureau, and will find its way to the Attorney General's Office tomorrow. My girlfriend also advised gathering up as many corporate Circuit City e-mail addresses as I could find, and sending copies of my dilemma to them, so that a paper trail is established and hopefully someone with a conscience will get back to me. This will also be done tomorrow.

I want to thank everyone who has been supportive of me efforts. This whole experience has been very trying, and while I am certain that right will prevail in the end, it doesn't make getting there any easier. Oh well. It's still better than filling out rebates.

in the end i hope you do end up with something but you may end up playing phone tag all day long for many days on this one....be ready to change your user title;)

wow , CC has been really tossing you around like a football. That 10 dollar gift card was a slap in the face. It's too bad you didn't record the conversation . Every time I talk to a higher up, I always, always record the conversation. Unfourtunitly my phone only allows for one sided recording meaning just their side is recorded so there can be a lot of black outs (when I am talking). What is your main goal? To get his bundle at the BF price? It's going to be extremely harder to get it as days goes on. Them refusing to give you the GM's contact information or other information is actually against the law in some states.

It all comes down to this........ Is it really, and I do mean really worth the stress and frustration, calls and time wasted all for video games? I would save your energy to fight for something bigger down the road, like an HD TV or a computer/laptop during one of their sales.

I ordered the FAR DVD case to be picked up.. went to the store.. they didn't have my item, but the CSR give me another similar item and credit me back $11 in full.. so basically i walked out with the case and pay nothing.. I guess.. it's just the luck of the draw and how you approch the CSR/manager i guess.. good luck to you OP.. and WOW! you wrote a really long post :)

Learn how to make your point in 150-200 words if you want anyone to take you seriously, drama queen. It must be frustrating to realize the world doesn't bow to your feet and everyone in the world isn't wondering what they could doing for you. How do you have the strength to go on?:-({|=

I also have a horrific Circuit City Story that I dread to tell. I say we make an organized thread where we write out all of our stories in an organized and detailed fashion and send all of our stories together in one big complaint, to all of the people you talked about earlier. I don' know what you guys think but always open for discussion.

[quote name='phear3d']that almost qualifies as a bait and switch.[/quote]Almost. Unfortunately it's legal in many states to advertise an item as long as you have at least one for sale at that price. Thus the disclaimer "Limited quantities."

[quote name='phear3d']man if it werent for their awesome clearance games, i would not shop at that store. [/quote]Agreed. This is why I have not been to a Best Buy in months. My cheap ass has no reason to step foot in there. Everything at MSRP! Really? Yay!

God I can't believe anyone would go through all that trouble to file a complaint. If it was advertised that the DS was on sale, then you should've brought the ad or printed what you saw on CircuitCity.com as to have proof that they weren't just a 5 hour sale. You also went overboard with the thumb drives. They were special ones for the Alzheimer's charity drive, if I worked there I wouldn't have given it to you at a discount price either. Did Nick know that you were following him? You didn't really clarify that. Yeah the motto is that we're supposed to give the customers satisfaction but sometimes the customers can be such a pain in the ass.

Of course it is also evident that you had some crappy service as well such as the kid who told the girl to get the items in the back for him and completely forgot about you. They also should've aplogized to you (Nick and those two other guys) just for the heck of it since you gotta stroke the customers cock sometimes to not piss them off.

Hmmm, after reading your story, i don't think CC did anything wrong..... i mean it is the weekend after Thanksgiving, items won't always be in stock due to the high volume of customers. I think you're asking too much for te discounted price on the DS bundle after the door buster price expired.......

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Hmmm, after reading your story, i don't think CC did anything wrong..... i mean it is the weekend after Thanksgiving, items won't always be in stock due to the high volume of customers. I think you're asking too much for te discounted price on the DS bundle after the door buster price expired.......[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I think he's more angry about the poor service in the beginning, which he believes led to him missing out on the deal.

I think in this case, it did lead to him losing the deal. Unfortunately, it's hard to prove the domino effect to people working in the company.

Anyone who has either worked in retail or had a similar experience would never, ever dare to pick this guy' story apart. This, unfortunately, is how business is done in most places. No accountability at all.

[quote name='billg']Update: 11/26

Chapter Five: Constant Cacophony.

I am making progress. I actually found a line where people speak English. It's the "Cool Line": 1-800-251-2665. I'm not sure why it's called the Cool Line. It sounds like I should be requesting Top 40 hits or something.

I was transferred to this number after a lengthy exchange with one of the outsourced workers from 1-800-THE-CITY. One of the workers had also said I should take up my complaint with the District Manager of Store 700, Frank. A new name at a new level! I was excited. I had just leveled up in real life.

I spoke to Britney on the Cool Line at extension 21917. I told my lengthy story to her, at the end of which she asked for clarification on a few points. Following this, Britney offered to send me a $10 gift card to make up for my troubles. Yes, ten whole dollars. Circuit City gave me more than that when All-Pro Basketball 2K8 was late on release day. But that's Circuit City for you, wildly incongruous corporate policies.

I informed Britney that this was woefully inadequate, indeed less than I had even spent in gas during my two trips to Store 700. The problem at hand wasn't about $10, it was about how my experiences with City Store 700 had been inexcusably frustrating, that my very basic needs as a customer were not being met at any level of the hierarchy, and that nobody in the entire chain of command had seen fit to sincerely apologize and make amends so that my initial purchase could go through.

Britney stated that there wasn't much else she could do. I told her that all I wanted to do was purchase the items as was intended, at the prices they were offered, utilizing the coupon Circuit City had willingly sent to me. Britney told me that she could not guarantee I would be able to have that simple request met. She offered to call the store and see what could be done.

I waited on hold for a few minutes, after which Britney came back on the line and said that the store was refusing to offer me any assistance in completing this purchase.

Britney and I discussed what options were available for me to see the transaction through. Britney told me that she had suggested that Store 700 mark the items as they were supposed to have been priced when I first attempted to purchase them, however, the store denied her request.

Realizing that I needed to speak to someone in a higher position of authority, I asked to speak to Britney's supervisor. Britney refused to transfer me, stating that she had offered a resolution with the $10 gift card, and that nothing more could be done. I again requested to speak to Britney's supervisor. Britney again steadfastly refused me this courtesy. I asked for contact information for the store's District Manager, Frank. Britney also refused to provide me with this information, saying I needed to ask the store directly. After another request to speak to her supervisor, Britney stated that we had nothing further to discuss and hung up on me.

I called Store 700 and asked for Frank. I was told that Frank was not in today. I requested Frank's contact information. The associate on the other end of the phone placed me on hold. After ten minutes, the conversation disconnected.

I called Store 700 several more times, this time being placed immediately on hold without anyone speaking to me.

After twenty more minutes of these calls, I finally spoke to someone and again requested Frank's contact information. The person said they would need to speak to Lawrence about that, whom you may recall I had spoken to a few days before.

Unfortunately, Lawrence never made it to the phone, instead relaying a royal edict that the store was refusing to give out Frank's contact information, and that I should call the Cool Line if I wanted to have it. You see how that works? The Cool Line tells me to call Store 700, Store 700 tells me to call the Cool Line. Circuit City: We can pass the buck like no one else!

I called the store again and asked to speak directly to Lawrence. After being on hold for five minutes, the associate said that Lawrence would call me back within half an hour. Half an hour later, my phone rang, but it was someone named Jose. Either Lawrence had suddenly gotten in touch with some long-forgotten Hispanic roots, or the buck was being passed yet again.

Jose said that Lawrence was very busy, but that he would be happy to help me. I again requested Frank's contact information. Jose said that he was not going to give that information out. I asked how exactly I was expected to speak to the District Manager if no one could give me his number. Jose did not offer any insight.

As it was soon time for me to make dinner, I finished my call. I then set out to continue to post this information in as many highly-visible places as I could. Indeed, this writing has gone up on several sites, been sent to the Better Business Bureau, and will find its way to the Attorney General's Office tomorrow. My girlfriend also advised gathering up as many corporate Circuit City e-mail addresses as I could find, and sending copies of my dilemma to them, so that a paper trail is established and hopefully someone with a conscience will get back to me. This will also be done tomorrow.

I want to thank everyone who has been supportive of me efforts. This whole experience has been very trying, and while I am certain that right will prevail in the end, it doesn't make getting there any easier. Oh well. It's still better than filling out rebates.[/QUOTE]
This is ridiculous - they need to take your calls and address your issues. I can't believe they are giving you the runaround to such an extent. I hope you do end up talking to someone who will a) reprimand these people, and b) compensate you. I can excuse some of the inventory problems etc. but wow.

I guess I'm a bit sympathetic to Britney - who knows what the store told her when she called them, but I don't see why she couldn't forward you the contact information unless that's against company policy.

I feel your pain, and you have more patience than myself. I stopped shopping at CC after many grueling instances, but the last 2 that made me go nuts was an employee who couldn't even figure out how to look up an item in the computer and then tell me they don't carry any because she was illiterate and couldn't type the item in correctly. Other time I stood in line where only one register was open, 10 people in line, and as the first person had an item not ringing up and causing us to sit there for another 15 min. Did any of the employees standing around BSing with eachother come over and open a register? Not until people started dropping items and leaving, including myself. I paid the extra $5 for the item at Best Buy, where I never have problems, as the employees constantly ask if I need help.

Circuit City has no criteria it seems when it hires people, as they obviously don't interview people prior, since it seems it goes like this... "Do you have the application filled out?" "Yes" "Oh I see you only have your name down. Perfect! You're hired."

i also don't think they did anything wrong. If anything, you were too demanding.
I exclusively at CC because of their high customer service in contrast to bb

also, that 40 off 200 excludes consoles

[quote name='kp_assman']i also don't think they did anything wrong. If anything, you were too demanding.
I exclusively at CC because of their high customer service in contrast to bb

also, that 40 off 200 excludes consoles[/QUOTE]

.............ladies and gentlemen, I believe we've just found Frank.

Good luck. Although, we should really expect this from Circuit Shitty by now. First, laying off almost all of their senior employees, then going after speedy, and now this...

man i feel sorry for you. CC has always been garbage from my experience, i can't imagine them not going under in the next 5 years. their stores just look all beaten up and run down and the employees i've interacted with have been 'store 700 quality'.

[quote name='Dragon_Master']I had a horrible time with CC on black friday. i waited in line at 9:45 at night on thursday I was like the 40th person in line. When the store opened I was inside in less than a minute everyone else headed towards the HDTV's and Laptops I went for the games I got there with only one other person over there I asked the stores clerk if they had any copies of Super Mario Galaxy in she told me no. I asked why they were out? They had been only open for a 1 minute she said that they only had 2 copies in the whole store and they sold out so I questioned why they only had 2 copes in she said thats just how it is. So I ended up leaving with out Super Mario Galaxy. I came back the next day and they had 12 copies in I asked them to ring it up and they told me it was $50 that the $35 was only a 5 hour sale for Friday I said but you only had 2 copies in yesterday and they told me there was nothing they could do so I ended up leaving empty handed again. Man I dont know if I will ever shop at CC again.[/quote]

Shoot... you could have price matched CC at Wal-Mart... wish I could have told you that Friday morning.

Dude... Circuit City is intended for Soccer Moms, their bratty kids, and guys who want to impress their football buddies with a "big screen".

Sometimes... just sometimes... good, decent people wander in there. May God save their souls.

My CC (store #272) didn't answer the phone on Black Friday either, just got a recording saying the store was closed and when I hit 0 and let it ring a while someone would pick up and instantly hang up the phone, i find that pretty fucking rude.

What pissed me off even more is that they had every deal available online
except the one I wanted which was the 46" 1080p Aquos. Then, when both my store and online swore up and down that they were out of stock on friday and saturday, i check the website sunday at midnight (saturday night essentially) right when the sale ends and lo and behold the TV is available online but also in stock and available for pick up at my store.

Wow, what a waste of time to save a buck. That you ended up spending in gas, brain cells and, time. I hope there wasn't a second nearby store that you could've gone to instend. :roll:

I have been in similar situations with other retailers. What I do to get the district managers number is call a different store and let them know that the a different store caused you problems and usually the different store will get the contact made with the district manager. CC really blew it on this one though. . .

[quote name='billg']Whine whine whine whine whine whine, the store wouldn't cater to me and bow to my whims and extend a 2 day sale which only ran Friday and Saturday to when I thought I could finally purchase all the items that the (drama) king that I am should be able to AND using a coupon that probably would've been denied too, inciting yet another long winded 20 page rant from me without end.[/quote]

Shall I go on, OP? Seriously, that is what you sound like to me. You couldn't have just purchased a filler item to get your total up over the $200 and then tried using the coupon, which I feel you would've been denied on since I'm sure it says it 'doesn't work on sale items'.

Instead, you've wasted innumerable amounts of time and effort to get 'justice', which will prove fruitless once you are told that you were offered some form of compensation, albeit however small($10 gc).

Honestly, even Best Buy gave me a $20 gc when I was denied a sale of guides that rang up .00 instead of the usual .01. Would I have much rathered have had the guides I intended to buy? You bet, but that $20 gc they gave me was a nice consolation.

I still don't see WHY you didn't just grab a filler item that was the same price as the drive that you weren't offered a substitute on to begin with, then return that item later on and ask(not DEMAND) if they got any of the regular drive back in stock yet. Instead, from what I've read, you demanded they lower the price on something that wasn't supposed to be on sale, just so you could get something similar to the item you had wanted.

I'm willing to bet that if they had agreed to lower the price of the purple drive, you would've come back on here and bitched about it being 'an ugly color' and that you were going to demand a swapout for one of the drives that WAS supposed to be in stock and on sale.

Honestly, some customers are NEVER happy and if I still worked in retail, you were what we would call an 'abandoned customer', since as soon as you started to lose your cool and demand shit from us, we would abandon you while pretending we gave a shit by 'going in the back to find your item you want'.

There's wanting what's right and then there's being an asshole customer who expects everyone to drop everything they're doing and focus on your needs, while everything else goes to shit. You really think whether or not you ever intend on spending anymore money at CC matters to them? There's probably 20 idiot customers behind you, just waiting with fistfuls of greenbacks, wanting to pay whatever price they want for their shit.

So, just like those who avoid Gamestop or other stores due to their policies, you have 2 choices now. Either sit here and bitch and moan about not being catered to or just don't shop at the store in question anymore. It's THAT simple.

See what I did here? I made a long, rambling diatribe like yours. Wouldn't you have just rathered read a brief version of it, instead of wading through all of the extraneous bullshit I typed up? Again, continue on with your pissing and moaning about getting 'what's right' or just don't shop there anymore. The choice is yours, but think of it this way......

Will all of the time and effort you're putting into calling and emailing corporate and the store in question get you a sufficient amount of 'justice' in the end or will you STILL feel like you were shorted and continue with the 'woe is me' routine?

EDIT: Here's a link to a page with a scan of a $40 off a $199 purchase coupon. Note that one of the exclusions is that it doesn't work with game consoles and last time I checked, they DO consider a Nintendo DS to be a 'game console'. So, again, you would've been SOL if this were the coupon you intended to use.

Link: http://pulverizer72.com/scans/cccoupon12-31.pdf

Scroll down to about mid page and then use the zoom in option to check the exclusions.

[quote name='roymustang']
What pissed me off even more is that they had every deal available online except the one I wanted which was the 46" 1080p Aquos. Then, when both my store and online swore up and down that they were out of stock on friday and saturday, i check the website sunday at midnight (saturday night essentially) right when the sale ends and lo and behold the TV is available online but also in stock and available for pick up at my store.[/quote]

wow thats some pritty messed up... I checked bestbuy to see if they did the same thing to me and it was still sold out afterwords. its still sold out today.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Cliff Notes Please! wait I read some of it....... This is where if you did this online and picked it up in store, you would have gotten a 24 dollar gift card because they didn't have your shit ready :)[/quote]

cry,cry,cry
online inventory did not match store inventory
cry,cry,cry
they wouldn't give me the sale price on an item similar to the one out of stock
cry,cry,cry
complain to supervisor
cry,cry,cry
complain to manager
cry,cry,cry
complain to corporate and then I lost interest.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']First off, shit happens with phone systems at times, so was it really that hard to go to the store to find out they were open? Second, the inventory systems for stores aren't always right, so it is possible that something listing as 'in stock' online may be sold out or near being sold out in store. Third, employees usually use the entrance/exit from the back room closest to where they find one after they're done looking for an item for someone.

If you moved(and you did), don't expect the employees to be psychic and know where you're standing in the store or search for you for 20-30 minutes. If they didn't see you waiting where you were when you asked about an item, chances are they assumed you LEFT and went back to doing their job. I know I would've if the customers I helped when I worked in retail weren't waiting right where I left them after looking for something for them.

Lastly, demanding that they price match a different item that wasn't on sale(and was part of a charity promo) was asinine to say the least. If they couldn't find the item for you that you wanted, you go to a different store. I know, I know, too much hassle, right?

And, as the employees already told you, some of those prices were for the Black Friday deals, so to expect them to honor the prices on Sunday when you came back to buy everything at once was also asking them to go outside their authority.

And, as others have said already, you would've probably been denied on the coupon as well, due to the items you wanted being on sale and the coupon NOT working on sale items.

So basically, all you did was get into a huff over phone problems, inventory problems and temporary price reductions not staying that way long enough to suit you. How much did you waste in time and gas and energy going back and forth with the managers and CSRs from CC corporate? Take it all as a lesson learned and don't shop there again.[/QUOTE]

instead of writing it all out again, I'll basically agreed with that. I noticed right away that you wouldnt be able to get hardware on the 40$ off 200$ coupon anyways.

"I had a horrible time with CC on black friday. i waited in line at 9:45 at night on thursday I was like the 40th person in line. When the store opened I was inside in less than a minute everyone else headed towards the HDTV's and Laptops I went for the games I got there with only one other person over there I asked the stores clerk if they had any copies of Super Mario Galaxy in she told me no. I asked why they were out? They had been only open for a 1 minute she said that they only had 2 copies in the whole store and they sold out so I questioned why they only had 2 copes in she said thats just how it is. So I ended up leaving with out Super Mario Galaxy. I came back the next day and they had 12 copies in I asked them to ring it up and they told me it was $50 that the $35 was only a 5 hour sale for Friday I said but you only had 2 copies in yesterday and they told me there was nothing they could do so I ended up leaving empty handed again. Man I dont know if I will ever shop at CC again."

^^ now that sucks lol

I am surprised this post made it to the front page. I mean you bitched like crazy on the busiest retail day of the year and were upset that the employee's didnt bend over backwards to help you.

Like others have said coupons like that usually exclude consoles and don't work in conjunction with other sales. Its printed on the coupon.

Second its not the stores fault if something isn't on the shelf during black friday, do you know how many freaking people are in the store? Someone could have had the last 6 USB drives in their cart, or they could have been moved by a customer and put back in the wrong spot. Then the employee's can't just change the price of a usb drive that isn't on sale to match the one that was, they aren't allowed to.

So in the end you bitch and rant over a $15 thumb drive thats on sale at that price every other week.

WOW. This is why i never want to work retail again.

Yeah, I'm sorry dude, but IAmTheCheapestGamer is right. If you've ever worked retail you'd know that sales end when they end, are applicable to only what they're applicable for and anyone that tells you otherwise is the exception, not the rule.

Yes, I'm sure that all three managers could have price-adjusted your thumb drives, however I'm also sure that they did not want Loss Prevention breathing down their necks for making an adjustment that they had no business making. Does it make them jerks or incompetent for not wanting to lose their job?

Also, online prices and b&m prices rarely RARELY rarely match. Get over it.

Take the $10 GC and be happy, it's more then I'd give a whiny customer that doesn't understand the meaning of sale price.

Slightly off topic but I've found this amusing about CC:

1. Since I worked for them (like 10 years ago) they switched from paying sales people comissions to being hourly and apparently have restructured the store management as well.

2. They are still using the same crap ass computer system/program to check people out as they did back then. And that includes the store that just opened by my house less than 1 year ago!!

[quote name='bookwo3107']Yeah, I'm sorry dude, but IAmTheCheapestGamer is right. If you've ever worked retail you'd know that sales end when they end, are applicable to only what they're applicable for and anyone that tells you otherwise is the exception, not the rule.

Yes, I'm sure that all three managers could have price-adjusted your thumb drives, however I'm also sure that they did not want Loss Prevention breathing down their necks for making an adjustment that they had no business making. Does it make them jerks or incompetent for not wanting to lose their job?

Take the $10 GC and be happy, it's more then I'd give a whiny customer that doesn't understand the meaning of sale price.[/quote]

All absolutely true!

Whats up with the retail fanboys in this thread. While the timing to do this wasn't great, If a store doesn't want to address the problem in a professional way, then they might as well tell people to fuck off. Retail Nazi's themselves would be pissed if they were tossed around like this.

[quote name='bookwo3107']Yeah, I'm sorry dude, but IAmTheCheapestGamer is right. If you've ever worked retail you'd know that sales end when they end, are applicable to only what they're applicable for and anyone that tells you otherwise is the exception, not the rule.

Take the $10 GC and be happy, it's more then I'd give a whiny customer that doesn't understand the meaning of sale price.[/QUOTE]

I also worked retail and we had lattitude to assist the customer. While Circuit City may have been in the right to make its calls, refusing to give out managerial contacnt information is incredulous. If they dont like being in the retail business, then well perhaps they shouldnt be in the retail business.

To all of the guys that said they used to work in retail, talking about how wrong this guy is, and how he would have been an abandoned cutomer if he had come in your store: you're the problem. Everyone should expect a high level of customer service even on the busiest shopping day of the year. Many of the OTHER items customers buy that day are not sold at a loss like many doorbusters, so every customer is potential profit. I also worked in retail, and can say when I worked black friday in my stores, I bent over backwards for people and was successful in providing good customer service. billg's issues mostly stem from crappy service; regardless of pricing or sales or coupons.

As for everyone saying this store or that store is good or bad (or I would say many of you are saying 'company' or 'corporate'), it changes from location to location plain and simple. I recently had a very good experience at a CC lately with some issues similar to above, and will more than likely return to that store (Columbia, MO), but can't get over the service I get at my local BB.

I am sick of this thread. This should shut up billg http://tgiblackfriday.com/merchant_images/circuitcity.pdf

From the ad listed on the front page. 6 hour sale on the DS only. He got there 12 hours after store opened after the deal was dead for 6 hours and raised hell because they wouldnt give him the deal. All you've done is be an ass to people to just doing their jobs and bitch and moan when they wouldnt give you a discount because you felt you deserved it.

You didn't read the ad or else you would have noticed in big words 6 hour special.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

I'm willing to bet that if they had agreed to lower the price of the purple drive, you would've come back on here and bitched about it being 'an ugly color' and that you were going to demand a swapout for one of the drives that WAS supposed to be in stock and on sale.

Honestly, some customers are NEVER happy and if I still worked in retail, you were what we would call an 'abandoned customer', since as soon as you started to lose your cool and demand shit from us, we would abandon you while pretending we gave a shit by 'going in the back to find your item you want'.

There's wanting what's right and then there's being an asshole customer who expects everyone to drop everything they're doing and focus on your needs, while everything else goes to shit. You really think whether or not you ever intend on spending anymore money at CC matters to them? There's probably 20 idiot customers behind you, just waiting with fistfuls of greenbacks, wanting to pay whatever price they want for their shit.

[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily agree with everything the OP is trying to claim he has a right to, but those statements there are amusing. Retailers are middlemen and nothing more. With the advent of cheap and plentiful Internet access for all households, buying direct from manufacturers is becoming more and more common. The only reason brick and mortar stores still exist is because people like the convenience, and as soon as a store starts treating them in an inconvenient manner the corporation loses their reason to exist. Retailers need customers, however customers don't need retailers. You realize this is the truth when you work in retail, because they'll bend over backwards typically to prevent customers from thinking that way. I guarantee you if Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Circuit City folded tomorrow the products sold in those stores would still be available. Create enough "abandoned customers" and all you're going to find is a lot of abandoned buildings for rent.

I have never found a reason to go to CC. I think they are a piss-poor store with piss-poor sales and piss-poor customer service.

Whether or not he should have been granted the price-match he was treated like shat by CC employees and that is an issue.

[quote name='cranguy']
Agreed. This is why I have not been to a Best Buy in months. My cheap ass has no reason to step foot in there. Everything at MSRP! Really? Yay![/quote] i have a record breaking of 2 years for not shopping at best buy for anything even electronics. its not just because the employees are incompetent fools, i just refuse to shop at a store who basically have no deals whatsoever. the only thing i got from them was stuntman ignition last thursday, and i didnt even buy it physically someone else did it for me!!

[quote name='foltzie']I also worked retail and we had lattitude to assist the customer. While Circuit City may have been in the right to make its calls, refusing to give out managerial contacnt information is incredulous. If they dont like being in the retail business, then well perhaps they shouldnt be in the retail business.[/quote]

Okay, I agree with that statement. I'm not saying that Circuit City has acted without blame here, however, it shouldn't have gotten to the point where he's talking to the district manager. I'm sure the DM will say the same thing EVERYBODY ELSE has said. That SALE items are only on SALE when they are listed.

But sometimes there dumb ass ways pay off. With the COD4 sale, they ran out of COD3 in like ten minutes. I got the assosiate to give me call of duty 3 for the PS3 instead.

I don't see the employee as being unreasonable at all. From his OP

I explained to the associate that the price was supposed to be $139.99. He said that was a special holiday price, and that the price had now changed. I asked him to get Tim. Tim soon reappeared on the scene and explained the same thing that the associate did. I told Tim that I wanted to purchase this item yesterday, but that the misunderstanding over the thumb drive prevented me from completing my transaction. Tim said the $139.99 was a special "five hour" price on Black Friday, that it was never $139.99 on Saturday, and that he would not honor the price today. Of course, this is blatantly contradictory to what circuitcity.com was showing on Saturday, with Saturday's price even well-documented on this and other deal sites.

Employee is 100% correct and he is wrong, he refused to listen to employee and made him get manager who repeated the correct information which he refused to listen to. If I walked into wherever you work and started saying what you were doing is wrong and then asked for your manager and told him same thing i'd be pretty pissed. He didn't say once that they were rude to him though in OP, just that they wouldnt change the price for a sale he missed by his own fault.

Tim would not budge on the DS bundle price. This put us at quite the impasse. I wanted to spend my money at Circuit City, using this godforsaken coupon they sent me, and Tim was not about to let that happen. He was going to abort this transaction come Hell or high water. My money, it would seem, is no good at Circuit City.

Once again Tim refused to do a sale that would get him in trouble. He wasn't even IN the store when the advertised prices were valid so he has no right to them and they shouldn't give it to him. End of story. Once again though I don't see a single mention of anyone being rude, just of them refusing to honor a price that the OP had no right to.

[quote name='bookwo3107']Okay, I agree with that statement. I'm not saying that Circuit City has acted without blame here, however, it shouldn't have gotten to the point where he's talking to the district manager. I'm sure the DM will say the same thing EVERYBODY ELSE has said. That SALE items are only on SALE when they are listed.[/quote]

How would you resolve it? The employee's + manager both said the same thing and he refused to listen to it. Theres nothing they can do if he already has the answer he wants and refuses to listen to it. He is the one who wanted to speak to the DM because he didnt like the answer he got. What were they supposed to do, say No so he can come here and bitch about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back