How Circuit City Ruined My Weekend - A long short story by billg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah, i enjoyed the read as well as the humorous add ins, even if gunm didn't. Good luck man, hope it all works out! darn male pride makes dropping things like this hard. i understand.

If a store advertises one price, but then is sold out of those items and only has more expensive ones, then it's a bait-and-switch.

The fact that ppl want to bash Billg instead of realizing about deceptive business practices is sad. Then again, those same people will fall for these deceptive business practices - therefore it is humorous in a "poetic justice" way.

[quote name='JolietJake']There’s no such thing as customer service anymore. Every employee in a retail store is a shark and the customers are the chum. I once tried to get a part time job in best buy's computer department when I was going to college part time.

The manager all but told me that they don't care what you know about their products, they just want someone who can sell shit. You know how most retail stores talk about their "knowledgeable and helpful staff?" That’s bullshit.

They like people who keep the store's profits as high as possible, screw customer satisfaction, there’s profit at stake![/quote]

The problem is not universal. Its just that people like the OP are a spec on the ground in comparison to the amount of customers these huge retail chains see daily. They could care less about making a transaction personal. Its also far too common that people will sandbag with their resolve rather then give in and simply make that one person happy. If you can still find the smaller mom and pop stores or some place that was actually run by competent people who knew something about customer satisfaction, these situations become far less severe. You wouldnt have assistant manager Ralph and his chain of buddies he got hired who get paid to jerk off and treat people like garbage then giggle about it later like school girls. The OP is on a quest, he knows it. I wish him luck, but im quite sure he's not going to go anywhere fast unless someone very high up takes notice. Someone not retarded enough to realize that customer satisfaction isnt worth getting into a battle over $15 or $50 in a store that takes in at least 100x that on a day to day basis.

[quote name='camoor']If a store advertises one price, but then is sold out of those items and only has more expensive ones, then it's a bait-and-switch.

The fact that ppl want to bash Billg instead of realizing about deceptive business practices is sad. Then again, those same people will fall for these deceptive business practices - therefore it is humorous in a "poetic justice" way.[/QUOTE]

uh did you read the part where he said HE WENT AFTER THE SALE WAS OVER!?!?

Update 11/27

Chapter Six: Corporate Calls.

I will post both in the thread, as well as update the Original Post when new information is made available to me, so please keep checking back.

Thanks again to everyone who has been sending their support through the posts and PMs. To those of you who are not on my side, that's fine, but please have the courtesy to throughly read the post you are railing against before making inaccurate claims. I am happy to defend my actions, or disagree with you about them, but please do not berate me for things I did not do. To clarify...

Regarding the discount on the Alzheimer's benefit thumb drive...

I asked management for either a discount on the 4GB (non-charity) thumb drive, or the 2GB charity thumb drive. Obviously I would've preferred a break on the 4GB drive. Management was the one who chose to discount the charity drive, not me. I'm not out to cheat Alzheimer's patients. I lived with my great-grandfather for a while in his last days when he was suffering with the disease. It ain't pretty.

Also, the 2GB non-charity drive was listed as in-stock at Store 700 on the site, on Saturday, for $15. That's why I went there. However, I could not add it to my cart, it was simply listed as "available in store only". I guess due to it being a special sale item. Who knows with CC.

Regarding the DS...

The DS was listed as 139.99 on the site *on Saturday*, when I first went into the store. Not Black Friday!

Check FW if you don't believe me, that's where I first heard about the deal. If it hadn't been 139.99 on Saturday, *I wouldn't have tried to buy it for 139.99 on Saturday*. Nor would I have unreasonably asked them to match a Black Friday price if it wasn't the same price when I was physically in the store on Saturday. I'm not insane.

Regarding the coupon...

Tim, the head honcho of Store 700, understood which coupon I was trying to use (I showed it to him) and offered no reservations about me applying it to my bundle of items, including the DS.

Finally, here is what happened today.

I placed another call to Store 700 to speak to Tim. Was told Tim was not in. I wonder if he's been stressed lately.

Some posters on here listed a few corporate e-mail addresses which would be great contacts to help get the message out. Unfortunately, the very brief letter I sent as a test message bounced right back from all of them. Would appreciate it if anyone could provide me with more up-to-date information.

I placed a call to Circuit City's HQ in Virginia (acquired from a corporate filing, and now listed at the top of the OP). Asked to speak to the CEO, Phil Schoonover. Was denied. I guess he was too busy driving the stock price down over 75% compared to last year. And shareholders don't even get to price match. :(

Was then transferred to Justin, a Customer Support Coordinator. Justin listened to my story, then said he would contact the store to see if they would grant price adjustments on the items in question. Finally, some small measure of progress!

I left my number with Justin and he confirmed it. However, I have not yet heard back from him. Furthermore, he did not appear to see much wrong with how I was treated as a customer, which has become the crux of this matter.

This story has popped up on a few other sites, as well as some people's blogs. This is much appreciated. Keep it coming! If you wish to reprint my tale, I ask only that you link directly back to CAG somewhere in the reprint, respect any republishing rights that CAG has over its content, and include the corporate contact information in the updated OP.

It has been brought to my attention that someone submitted this story to Digg. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link here, but will do so now, with the reasonable understanding that those in charge will remove it if it is not appropriate to provide this link.

http://digg.com/tech_deals/How_Circuit_City_Ruined_My_Weekend_A_long_short_story_by_billg

Clearly, Circuit City does not yet understand that customers will not stand for unjust treatment any longer. Failed rebates, botched sales, the COD3/4 fiasco, and the witch hunt for Speedy are just a few of the many problems CC has presented us in only the last few months.

I fear I will need to find someone in corporate with a little more pull and understanding, and generate some more noise, to take care of this problem. I hope I will get to speak to someone above Justin and have some pro-customer action taken by tomorrow to put an end to this nightmare.

Edit to clear up late-night rambling:

This ends Wednesday, no matter what. I'm not going to let this drag on any longer. I'm tired of it, and I can only imagine how tired you all must be of it. I never expected this to take off like it has, but I guess that's the internet for you.

After Wednesday night, I go back to being boring old me. Either I get a resolution to my satisfaction, or I go home empty-handed once again. Wish me luck, and if you would be so kind, say a few words to those who can make a difference, because if it could happen to me, and it can happen to everyone else here who has posted a war story, it can happen to you.

If you would like to make your voice heard on this matter...

Here is the number for Store 700: (215) 333-0412.

Or, if you'd like, call Circuit City's Corporate Office and tell them what you think:

804-486-4000

Press 1, wait for prompt.
Press 1 again.
Dial extension 724666.
Choose "Phil Schoonover" - CEO
Leave message or ask to be transferred to your department of choice.

Ok, let me get this straight.

You tried to buy Mario Party 8... and used a whole paragraph to justify it? What the hell is your problem?

[quote name='ITDEFX']oh my fucking god.................... LOLZ

well I am glad Consumerist isn't doing a full story because they know Billg is at fault no matter what the CC employee's or CSR's did.

So where is this update from Billg that he said would happen tonight? Notice how some people are calling it an entertaining or amusing read? In other words IT'S A FREAKING JOKE worth a few good laughs.

Please Billg, all you have is a hand full of cag's supporting you and a shit load of noobs who know shit about the retail industry or customer service, so just give it up. Your Charity story isn't going to help you anymore. I have taught some stupid kids before, but even they aren't dumb enough to waste their time trying this.[/QUOTE]

If you don't already work there...go apply at CC, I am sure they will hire your sorry @$$.

I think that this situation was mishandled on both ends. His for demanding things that were unreasonable (the purple drive for the other's price) and the store's for not respecting him as a customer and explaining everything to him in a reasonable manner. That, and refusing to give him the DM's contact information. Regardless of whether the store feels it's a baseless claim, they should still give that information out, period.

Now, does the store get *some* leeway for it being Black Friday? Of course they do. As I said in a much earlier post, my CC still had a TON of the flashdrives after Friday, mainly because they were in a different part of the store, and because they were NOT marked with a sale price. The six that were floating around may have been the same situation, and there may have been new employees who didn't care enough to find them. I had enough trouble getting an associate to locate them when I went to my CC on Saturday night, let alone on BF.

My biggest gripe is the website deal. Everyone keeps repeating that web prices don't reflect store prices and that he went after the deal. I reiterate... on a personal level, unless something is SPECIFICALLY marked on the site as a 'web-only' deal, like may other companies do, I assume that it reflects the in-store price, as well. If the OP is correct, and he saw the Zelda bundle deal STILL going on the site with NO indication that it was a 'six hour in-store only' deal, it's an honest mistake. In that situation, without having read the ad, I would have assumed that I would be able to walk into CC and buy the bundle at the price I just saw on the website. If CC's site screwed up and left it up too long, or did not mark it as a 'site only' deal, then that *is* CC's fault. Problem is, if CC maintains their usual 'won't match the site' rhetoric, it would've taken an extremely nice manager, and probably a day other than BF, to take care of it. However, that, coupled with the ridiculous demand to be compensated with the purple drive, probably made them not want to be helpful.

So, again, I'm not laying blame here on either party's doorstep... both made mistakes, plain and simple. The OP made a completely understandable error, but also made unreasonable demands. However, had CC employees practiced correct customer care, this situation could've been avoided. If I were in the OPs shoes, and some had explained it to me politely, I would've accepted it and called it a day. They, and this is the OPs account of course, were rude, which is completely unacceptable. I wouldn't have begun asking for price adjustments, but I certainly would have made my displeasure known.

That, of course, is the crux of this thread. Some are stuck on the OP 'whining' about not getting the deal, while others are more concerned about the complete lack of customer care displayed by the CC employees... the latter of which is the bigger issue. Unless the OP is a complete bag of dicks, I feel this NEVER would have escalated to this point had the employees been more pleasant.

Basically, it's both the OP and CC's fault, but the level this has gotten to is ridiculous.

[quote name='locolukah']If you don't already work there...go apply at CC, I am sure they will hire your sorry @$$.[/QUOTE]

Because it's been well-documented that he can't teach.

fuck Circuit City. I hate that store I only shop there when they offer stupid loss leader items or dirt cheap clearance games. I never give them a penny more...

[quote name='carthitup']I think that this situation was mishandled on both ends. His for demanding things that were unreasonable (the purple drive for the other's price) and the store's for not respecting him as a customer and explaining everything to him in a reasonable manner. That, and refusing to give him the DM's contact information. Regardless of whether the store feels it's a baseless claim, they should still give that information out, period.

Now, does the store get *some* leeway for it being Black Friday? Of course they do. As I said in a much earlier post, my CC still had a TON of the flashdrives after Friday, mainly because they were in a different part of the store, and because they were NOT marked with a sale price. The six that were floating around may have been the same situation, and there may have been new employees who didn't care enough to find them. I had enough trouble getting an associate to locate them when I went to my CC on Saturday night, let alone on BF.

My biggest gripe is the website deal. Everyone keeps repeating that web prices don't reflect store prices and that he went after the deal. I reiterate... on a personal level, unless something is SPECIFICALLY marked on the site as a 'web-only' deal, like may other companies do, I assume that it reflects the in-store price, as well. If the OP is correct, and he saw the Zelda bundle deal STILL going on the site with NO indication that it was a 'six hour in-store only' deal, it's an honest mistake. In that situation, without having read the ad, I would have assumed that I would be able to walk into CC and buy the bundle at the price I just saw on the website. If CC's site screwed up and let it up too, or did not mark it as a 'site only' deal, then that *is* CC's fault. Problem is, if CC maintains their usual 'won't match the site' rhetoric, it would've taken an extremely nice manager, and probably a day other than BF, to take care of it. However, that, coupled with the ridiculous demand to be compensated with the purple drive, probably made them not want to be helpful.

So, again, I'm not laying blame here on either party's doorstep... both made mistakes, plain and simple. The OP made a completely understandable error, but also made unreasonable demands. However, had CC employees practiced correct customer care, this situation could've been avoided. If I were in the OPs shoes, and some had explained it to me politely, I would've accepted it and called it a day. They, and this is the OPs account of course, were rude, which is completely unacceptable. I wouldn't have begun asking for price adjustments, but I certainly would have made my displeasure known.

That, of course, is the crux of this thread. Some are stuck on the OP 'whining' about not getting the deal, while others are more concerned about the complete lack of customer care displayed by the CC employees... the latter of which is the bigger issue. Unless the OP is a complete bag of dicks, I feel this NEVER would have escalated to this point had the employees been more pleasant.

Basically, it's both the OP and CC's fault, but the level this has gotten to is ridiculous.[/quote]

i agree with what he said

That was an interesting read. The employees were probably jerks but the OP isn't entitled to anything. Online in-store stock notices are never correct. Just ask Gamestop. CC will price adjust eventually to stave off PR nightmare but it doesn't mean the OP is in the right.

The use of pass-the-buck tactics and phone mazes is universal these days. It's not really fair to say CC is the only company that does it. They ALL do it.

[quote name='billg']Update 11/27

Chapter Six: Corporate Calls.

blah blah blah blah blah theuniverserevolvesaroundmyasshole blah blah blah blah blah.[/quote]

WHO

THE

HELL

CARES

billg, some how, some way, you are making me sympathize with Circuit City.

I work as a front end attendant at a supermarket and I have the ability to make price adjustments like the ones you (op) wanted done. You have to remember some things about the people working at retail chains like circuit city.

1) They don't care about doing their job well, they just don't want to lose it. The easiest way to get in trouble is by disobeying the rules and policy. Associates can't just give discounts to people that complain. They have to be firm.

2) The second you sound remotely pissed there is a 99% change your not going to get anything. Giving an attitude makes the person you're talking to mad at you which essentially makes you an enemy to them. Most people don't abide by the "love thine enemy" christian principle.

3) Expecting any kind of price adjustments/ changes/ ANYTHING other than what the price is and just paying it on black friday is absurd. It's like a state of emergency all rules suspended everyone for themself shopping day.

4) I believe that fighting a company should be done by starving it of life, meaning not paying any money to that store and not supporting it. Going out of the way to complain about it brings attention and publicity to that store. Negative? maybe. But it's attention none the less.

The best thing you can do about a store is not shop there and when people talk about that particular store you can tell them the story and let them make their own conclusions.
I've had countless problems with the office depot by my house. Like your situation they've had items listed as in stock and we went there and they weren't. Whenever they have a sale they usually only have ONE of that item in stock. It's just an all around horrible store. You can go on sunday morning to get a sale item and they'll be out of stock.
So now after 5 or so bad experiences I'll never shop there again.

5) Calling corporate does very little... they simply don't care enough about one complaint to make changes. Is it worth it for one customer? No it's not. One can come to a conclusion that if only one customer complains about a store that it's either a) a rare occurance or b) the customer didn't get what they wany so they're being an asshole and a crybaby.

[quote name='billg']

Clearly, Circuit City does not yet understand that customers will not stand for unjust treatment any longer. Failed rebates, botched sales, the COD3/4 fiasco, and the witch hunt for Speedy are just a few of the many problems CC has presented us in only the last few months.

I fear I will need to find someone in corporate with a little more pull and understanding, and generate some more noise, to take care of this problem. I hope I will get to speak to someone above Justin and have some pro-customer action taken by tomorrow to put an end to this nightmare.
[/QUOTE]

Unjust treatment?!??!?!

Look at all the commotion you have caused all for a video game bundle and a thumb drive. Over 20,000+ views vs the Speedy situation which only got 12.5k+ views. Then you are asking us to call the CEO of CC and tell him to give you the stuff!?!?!? Maybe they just took down your number to hang up on you when their caller id shows your number on the display. With all those harassing calls, they probably have a file on you.

What nightmare? Did they over charge your Credit Card and refused to clear it up?!?!?! Did you buy a laptop that crapped out on you days after you bought it and they wanted to charge you a restocking fee just to get another same one?
Did they steal all your porn from your computer when you took it to them to get it fixed?!?!?

I can some what accept the other stuff you mention about CC's business practices, but to try to even mention Speedy so that it will strengthen your side is just scumbag low. Leave the guy out of this tangle web of drama.

Like I said before, if you do get free shit from CC do to all your bitching, it's going to open the flood gate for all the noobs here to call CC like crazy in order to get free shit from them. As a result CC will stop offering special promos because customers like you bitch , cry and harass them.

This really isn't about the point of the charity anymore... its about you getting attention you don't deserve and hopefully a free ds and thumb drive.

[quote name='locolukah']If you don't already work there...go apply at CC, I am sure they will hire your sorry @$$.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I don't need a drop in pay so that I can work in ghost town of a store.

[quote name='ITDEFX']...
This really isn't about the point of the charity anymore... its about you getting attention you don't deserve and hopefully a free ds and thumb drive.[/quote]

Yep. Notice the bit about his story "popping up" all over the net. How fortuitous! And he's more than happy to post links. billg, the celebrity victim.

[quote name='billg']I looked around for a suitable replacement drive and happily came across some other Sandisk 2GB Cruzer thumb drives, except these were purple instead of black. I asked the associate to scan it for me, and the price came up as $40, not $15. This did not make any sense to me. I asked if the associate could adjust the price to match that of the black one. He said he could not, as the purple thumb drive, though it is identical to the black drive except for color, was part of some type of Alzheimer's charity drive, and had to be purchased at full price.[/QUOTE]

Charity.

Charity.

CHARITY.

I hope you fucking get Alzheimer's, don't know what the fuck you're doing when you're walking around one day, and get run over by a motherfucking train.

Asshole.

*waves to mods*

I agree with the part that CC is a giant piece of crap. I can also understand this guys frustration with CC. If this was me personally I would have tried the also get a pricematch/raincheck or something but if it didnt work then I would just curse them out and never shopped there again, maybe knocked down a display or something on my way out lol, j/k. Either way I also agree that it was handled badly on both ends.

[quote name='Dragon_Master']I had a horrible time with CC on black friday. i waited in line at 9:45 at night on thursday I was like the 40th person in line. When the store opened I was inside in less than a minute everyone else headed towards the HDTV's and Laptops I went for the games I got there with only one other person over there I asked the stores clerk if they had any copies of Super Mario Galaxy in she told me no. I asked why they were out? They had been only open for a 1 minute she said that they only had 2 copies in the whole store and they sold out so I questioned why they only had 2 copes in she said thats just how it is. So I ended up leaving with out Super Mario Galaxy. I came back the next day and they had 12 copies in I asked them to ring it up and they told me it was $50 that the $35 was only a 5 hour sale for Friday I said but you only had 2 copies in yesterday and they told me there was nothing they could do so I ended up leaving empty handed again. Man I dont know if I will ever shop at CC again.[/QUOTE]

Please tell me you wanted something else besides the game. PLEASE tell me you didn't wait in line all night to save $15. Please.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Yep. Notice the bit about his story "popping up" all over the net. How fortuitous! And he's more than happy to post links. billg, the celebrity victim.[/QUOTE]

Quick somebody call Larry King, MSNBC, Fox News...got to get this guy an interview! Heck the today show will fly him up to NYC so he can tell his sad sad story.

Seriously OP, please show us this Alzheimer's charity thing and give us the number to the person in charge of it so we can call them and tell them that you are using their charity as an EXCUSE to get free shit. No I am not kidding here.. you have given us the numbers to CC....now give us the number or email of the person in charge of the Charity thing. Have you even told the person in charge what happened? Are they even on your side?!?!?

Circuit City and Cheapy D are both pompous entities meeting head on. (See all the crappy youtube videos of Cheapy eating sushi---wow look at me I am eating this exotic food called sushi) Makes for a great thread. If there's anything to learn from this it is that (from personal experience as well) your 800 call to customer service will automatically be routed to the Philippines where the Filipino ladies there will repeat the same thing over and over again like robots until you ask to talk to AMERICA. Then they give you another 800 number. If you have anything more complicated than "has my order shipped?" - you will save yourself a lot of grief by skipping them.

While not necessarily applicable in this situation, these retail chains get away with murder on a lot of nickel and dime stuff such as (not honoring coupons because they don't feel like it). If you see a class action suit anywhere that would apply to you - join it. Also I find contacting their in-house legal department works wonders.

I have an a more clear cut case against Best Buy that might get you guys a gift card---who knows. There is a new best buy 15 off 175 coupon with the same language we're used to seeing. The relevant language here is that it works on Home Theatre - audio and video accessories. If you go into the gaming aisle you will likely find the Psyclone HDMI switcher that allows you to switch between 4 different HDMI sources. On the front of the box it says "Home Theatre switcher." Well Best Buy management did not honor the coupon - saying that this was in the video game section therefore its not a home theatre item. Absolutely ridiculous. If you're going to be switching between 4 HDMI inputs - one of them will likey be a cable box or standalone bluray/hd player. The idiots at BB disagreed. I did not purchase the item. I explained to the 800 line - and they agreed with me and sent me a $30 gift card in the mail. If we all do this then - they will either fix it for all christmas shoppers - or send out certificates - or open their a**** up to a lawsuit.

you know, its not that I don't disagree with you, but I used to be a supervisor at another *big* electronics retailer, and I'm not going to bore anyone with the details, but I can't really defend your position here.

inventory systems are going to be fucked during the whole week and weekend of black friday, you can't really expect any dependability during this time period. Companies will make more money during thanksgiving til the end of xmas as compared to sales from jan-oct. It's just plain hectic (in case you didn't know)

the other thing that most consumers (unfair to them) don't realize is that businesses do not triple profit from everything they sell. While we're on the subject, they practically break even on gaming hardware and software (unless you're gamestop and you're slanging refurbed and used stuff) - why do you think they push you on accessories and extended warranties so much?

Selling a lot of shit is nice, it makes their revenue dollars go up so they can report back to wall street about how much money is coming in, but the net profit from the transactions is what the management really sees, and what the employees ultimately aim for (to satisfy their managers of course).

So if you're seeing it from their eyes, not only were they losing a lot of margin (profit dollars) from price matching prices, but that coupon would have added to their loss as well. If CC is anything like the company I worked out, they would have made like $10 off galaxy, maybe another $10 off the wiimote, but would have been in the negative after the discounts and coupon.

but then again, CC is just shitty in general.

As much as i'm glad that you're getting your 15 minutes of fame, you just sound like another whiny customer to me. Do something clever, like gut an a xbox and replace it with a medical school book or something.

prolly not going to check in on this, so flame away fellas.

I understand that you had a bad experience but really all associates can't be that bad. I just happen to work @ CC. I have been there for quite so time(more than a week) and have seen my share of good and bad experiences. I can attest to the fact that the holiday season can be a rough time. Time is extremely short and the patience level of customers dips very low for some reason. The experience level of some employees can be described with one word--seasonal. Holiday season= influx of temporary employees to cover the higher traffic. Just hired=less experience. Also, even the most diligent employees have had theft occur will watching. Especially with organized retail crime rings coming in, theft is a big reason for missing product. Also, there are little options for stopping theft if spotted. Black friday is the worst day to be in hurry. Tons of customers=everybody busy. If you shrug off one customer w/o finishing w/them to go to another, you would have the previous customer upset. It just happens that way. You gotta expect them to not come up to perfection b/c you're dealing w/ humans. I understand your distress w/ some of the situation cuz it sucked in some areas. I just want to let you know that they usually stick to current prices advertised regardless and that also applies to employees. If I don't buy it @ the cheaper price while the sale is on, I am screwed too. I am not speaking for everyone b/c I know and work w/ some people who don't do their job. However, I speak for the people that do their job consistently. Not everyone @ CC is out to give horrible customer service. Finally, the web price is meant to compete against other websites, but the store will match any of its web prices just as long as it does not say web only special. :bouncy::bouncy:

Did you have to give names or anything? Only ask because I might try to get a 30 dollar gift card. Every coupon I get from them is about a week old. I just got on for 10% off on a digital cmera 249 and up, phones and accessories, mp3 players and car electronics, major and small appliances one for 10% off all regularly price music, movies, toys, video games and pc games and on that is 10% or 12%(with reward zone card) from home theater, computer accessories, digital camersa 249 and up , camcorders 279 and up, phones and accessories, mp3 players and car electronics, and major and small appliances.

They were only good from november 16 - 19. I got them about 3 or 4 days ago. No sooner then the 21st.

Hold on the one is for toys? When did they start selling toys?

The last set of coupons I got I was going to use the day I got them only when they came in the mail were 2 days old.

[quote name='bigtimeken']Circuit City and Cheapy D are both pompous entities meeting head on. (See all the crappy youtube videos of Cheapy eating sushi---wow look at me I am eating this exotic food called sushi) Makes for a great thread. If there's anything to learn from this it is that (from personal experience as well) your 800 call to customer service will automatically be routed to the Philippines where the Filipino ladies there will repeat the same thing over and over again like robots until you ask to talk to AMERICA. Then they give you another 800 number. If you have anything more complicated than "has my order shipped?" - you will save yourself a lot of grief by skipping them.

While not necessarily applicable in this situation, these retail chains get away with murder on a lot of nickel and dime stuff such as (not honoring coupons because they don't feel like it). If you see a class action suit anywhere that would apply to you - join it. Also I find contacting their in-house legal department works wonders.

I have an a more clear cut case against Best Buy that might get you guys a gift card---who knows. There is a new best buy 15 off 175 coupon with the same language we're used to seeing. The relevant language here is that it works on Home Theatre - audio and video accessories. If you go into the gaming aisle you will likely find the Psyclone HDMI switcher that allows you to switch between 4 different HDMI sources. On the front of the box it says "Home Theatre switcher." Well Best Buy management did not honor the coupon - saying that this was in the video game section therefore its not a home theatre item. Absolutely ridiculous. If you're going to be switching between 4 HDMI inputs - one of them will likey be a cable box or standalone bluray/hd player. The idiots at BB disagreed. I did not purchase the item. I explained to the 800 line - and they agreed with me and sent me a $30 gift card in the mail. If we all do this then - they will either fix it for all christmas shoppers - or send out certificates - or open their a**** up to a lawsuit.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sendme']Did you have to give names or anything? Only ask because I might try to get a 30 dollar gift card. Every coupon I get from them is about a week old. I just got on for 10% off on a digital cmera 249 and up, phones and accessories, mp3 players and car electronics, major and small appliances one for 10% off all regularly price music, movies, toys, video games and pc games and on that is 10% or 12%(with reward zone card) from home theater, computer accessories, digital camersa 249 and up , camcorders 279 and up, phones and accessories, mp3 players and car electronics, and major and small appliances.

They were only good from november 16 - 19. I got them about 3 or 4 days ago. No sooner then the 21st.

Hold on the one is for toys? When did they start selling toys?

The last set of coupons I got I was going to use the day I got them only when they came in the mail were 2 days old.[/QUOTE]

er huh?

Now we are talking about best buy?

That's happened to me before, where a coupon would come in after it expired, but usually someone posts a scanned copy or direct bb link of it on cag. Even if it doesn't happen, it usually comes when I don't need anything from them at the time but I don't call HQ and make a fuss about it..

Great story. You should be a writer, lol (if you aren't already). Circuit Shitty really has earned its name, eh. I'm glad you're fighting this out. Good luck!

[quote name='billg']
On Saturday, November 24, 2007, I went to circuitcity.com to check the availability for a few items I was looking to purchase in-store. At 5PM on November 24, these were the prices listed for the items I wanted to purchase as gifts for Christmas:

1 Nintendogs or Zelda DS Bundle $139.99
1 Wii Nunchuk controller $19.99
1 2GB Cruzer thumb drive $14.99
1 Wii Mario Party 8 $49.99

I understand that Mario Party 8 at retail is not the most thrifty purchase. I simply wanted to fill out the last bit of my $200 requirement while checking off a gift for a relative at the same time.

Rather than take my chances fighting Brian, whose grim visage told of a man who has taken countless lives, I took the high road and left the store without incident, choosing instead to deal with this matter at the corporate level.
[/quote]

By my math, even if you couldn't get the flash drive....the prices on the other 3 items exceed $200.

So, let me see if I've got everything straight:

1) You go to a store over the busiest holiday shopping weekend of the year, looking for sale prices you failed to compare to the in-store circular (which was available on the website)

2) You failed to read the exclusions on the coupon you set out to use.

3) You failed to use a $40 coupon, because of a $15 item that you didn't actually need to buy to reach the coupon's threshhold.

4) You attempted to get a discount on a charity item because it was sort-of like the item you didn't get to the store early enough to find in-stock (regardless of whether the inventory system thought they had a half-dozen....which easily could have been accounted for by other customers, or stolen over the course of the busiest 3-day weekend on hte retail calendar).

5) You got irate when you couldn't get an item on Sunday at the same price you (mistakenly) thought you should have been able to get it for on Saturday....even though every CAG knows that new CC ads start on Sundays.

You, sir, fail at CAG. Good day.

(Maybe if you weren't so condescending when inventing biographical data of all the employees who failed to cave in to your douchebaggery, I might actually be a bit more sympathetic.)

I think its funny how "customer service" now translates into "getting shit for cheaper than it should be."

Any posting personal e-mails for corporate personel is not exactly the "kindest" thing to do. Because of this, their e-mails will most likley get flooded with complaints that should be handled at a lower level, and also spam/hate mail in addition. Because of that, they will most likley have to have a new adress, which must be reflected throughout the whole company. Yes, they are the ones that can do something about it, but by making it public, it in turn makes more work for them.

I know the OP says that CC offered the price adjustment to the purple thumb drive, but asking for a replacement deal in the first place is kind of a stretch. For example, if CC was sold out of Super Mario Galaxy when I went in to get it for $35, I shouldn't expect to get Mario Party 8, a "similar item," for $35 instead.

Also, there is a very important thing to keep in mind that many of us have not fully acknowledged. JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS IN A COMPUTER, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS THE TRUTH. It's not like the computer can tell whether an item is or is not actually in the store at the moment when someone checks online.

In actuality, the computer registers how many inventory items were scanned upon arrival, and how many were scanned at checkout. There are numerous variables that could effect this number, such as items getting scanned twice, items not getting scanned at the register, theft, losing it in the back, some customer taking a thumb drive and sticking it in a refrigerator on display for some reason, and whatever else could possibly happen between the time someone scanned the item and you tried to buy it.

Also, the computer is getting its information from some database which must be updated periodically with the information from each store. Many would hope this would happen over every buisness night, but around the holidays, stores are way more busy than before and some other things may be higher on the priority list.

So the number you saw, 6, may have been days old. In fact, the deals still showing up on the site despite them being over leads me to believe that the entire site hadn't been updated. Keep in mind, the person whose job it is to do this was probably busy celebrating Thanksgiving with his family.

[quote name='McNutsack']Too long to read, but I think I'll make myself feel more accomplished by summing it up for myself:
CC annoyed you.[/QUOTE]

wait for it.............

wait...............

LOL!

[quote name='SirChadlyOC']I know the OP says that CC offered the price adjustment to the purple thumb drive, but asking for a replacement deal in the first place is kind of a stretch. For example, if CC was sold out of Super Mario Galaxy when I went in to get it for $35, I shouldn't expect to get Mario Party 8, a "similar item," for $35 instead.

Also, there is a very important thing to keep in mind that many of us have not fully acknowledged. JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS IN A COMPUTER, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS THE TRUTH. It's not like the computer can tell whether an item is or is not actually in the store at the moment when someone checks online.

In actuality, the computer registers how many inventory items were scanned upon arrival, and how many were scanned at checkout. There are numerous variables that could effect this number, such as items getting scanned twice, items not getting scanned at the register, theft, losing it in the back, some customer taking a thumb drive and sticking it in a refrigerator on display for some reason, and whatever else could possibly happen between the time someone scanned the item and you tried to buy it.

Also, the computer is getting its information from some database which must be updated periodically with the information from each store. Many would hope this would happen over every buisness night, but around the holidays, stores are way more busy than before and some other things may be higher on the priority list.

So the number you saw, 6, may have been days old. In fact, the deals still showing up on the site despite them being over leads me to believe that the entire site hadn't been updated. Keep in mind, the person whose job it is to do this was probably busy celebrating Thanksgiving with his family.[/QUOTE]

Now that makes sense from a technical side.

[quote name='McNutsack']Too long to read, but I think I'll make myself feel more accomplished by summing it up for myself:
CC annoyed you.[/QUOTE]

You sir, are a brilliant man.

If I close my eyes long enough will this thread just go away?

[quote name='MrNEWZ']You sir, are a brilliant man.

If I close my eyes long enough will this thread just go away?[/QUOTE]

With the amount of press BillG is trying to stir up by linking it back to here, I feel a forum crash sometime tomorrow.... thousands of users will be unable to save money or find good deals on various video games and items because too many people hammered this thread and overloaded the CAG forums :( All because of BillG.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']If I close my eyes long enough will this thread just go away?[/quote]

Actually, I'm starting to like this thread as a whole. I don't really agree with the OP, but the debate is very interesting, to say the least.

Really, this is probably going to end up being a legendary thread that we talk about for a long time, regardless of its original merit. It's got the makings of a good community-bonding experience.

The topic creator is an idiot. I don't know why this is flagged front page, because it makes the whole site itself look pathetic. I don't think there is any reason for portraying that image on purpose, as it's a good site.

Really what happened here is the store wasn't extra nice and accomidating to him- which they didn't have to be if they didn't want to: it's a privilege, not a right- and he decided to make a huge deal out of this and run out of the store instead of getting everything else he wanted. All over one item they technically didn't have to sell him if it didn't match the ad and the charity drive.

Plus last weekend was the biggest shopping weekend of the year: are you new to life in America? It's pretty hard to have everything go your way, and employees aren't going to be happy at all around this time. That should be expected, as every idiot in the world is hassling them at once, and half of the staff was just hired in the past month and don't have any idea what they're doing. You need to understand that.

And you can't exactly call Dateline because CC had a phone glitch.

Bottom line is if he didn't run out of the store like a baby he could have bought everything else on sale and used his coupon.

Maybe that's understandable as he was stressed out. But he didn't make a good decision, and sometimes you need to own up to your own actions. You can't always get what you want- that's what growing up is all about.

TC messed up and this is his own fault essentially.

It would be really interesting if a poll was set to see what other CAGs think of this...it should have 5 options along these lines...Mods feel free to change the language as you see fit if it ends up getting done.

1) OP is a self important blow hard with a huge sense of entitlement who clearly has too much time on his hands since no one is around to possibly read his stargate atlantis spec scripts given the writers strike.

2) OP is a pretty self involved but he does have a point, but probably not on black friday

3) Black friday or not, he's not doing anything wrong...he's just really persistent.

4) F-yeah, don't let anyone disrespect you, even if its just a crappy thumb drive that will likely be on sale for $5 less in about 8 weeks.

5) We're with you OP, the streets will flow with the blood of the non-believers....Storm the Bastille!

[quote name='jiggyteddy']I had a similar issue with CC on Black Friday.

I went to the store in Whitestone Queens NY and saw a bunch of DVDs marked down. My gf is a huge Charmed fan, and I saw Season 1 and 2 in the box marked at $8.99 each.

WOW what a deal... so I go and pay. I know, I saw it in the ad and it was advertised at $12.99, but the bin marked them at $8.99 instead. I even took pics with my phone. Got there to pay and guess what? They ring in at $12.99 each. $8 difference plus tax. I was a little heated.

I tell her its marked right there, and you can look at it. How am I wrong?

She would not pm it, and the manager would not pm it. I had enough.

I bought it, and immediately sent an email to corporate when I got home.

It is now Tuesday morning, with no response yet.

My problem with this is, it is advertised in the flyer at $12.99... but why is it in the $8.99 bin? NOT only is it in the $8.99 bin, it is on the printout for that bin priced at $8.99!!! So, they can't even say someone just tossed it in there. Its on the printout!

So I ask fellow CAGers... do I have a legit claim here?[/quote]

Of course you don't have a legit claim. Anybody can put something in the wrong bin. It was probably a shopper that put it in the wrong place even.

If the price isn't physically on the item or in the advertisement, they don't have to give you anything.

Otherwise people would cheat them all the time.

Hopefully the email back to you tells you you're crazy.

Oh crap, I made a HUGE mistake.

"it is on the printout for that bin priced at $8.99!!! "

No man, take back everything I said. You're totally in the right. I probably was still jaded from the TC's post. My appologies!

[quote name='K_G']
5) We're with you OP, the streets will flow with the blood of the non-believers....Storm the Bastille![/QUOTE]

There's my vote. Having worked in retail for 2 years, I understand the need to remedy customer support problems. Especially when it's the store's fault.

This makes me want to never even look at a CC ad again much less set foot in their store. I've already spent nearly $2000 at BB that I would've spent at Circuit City had it not been for the speedy incident. Cheapy should stop posting CC deals on the front page and everyone should boycott CC. I understand where you're coming from 100%. If I would've been treated that way, I would've lost it. The fact that 'Britney' refused to allow you to speak to her supervisor and that the store won't give the DM's contact info is ridiculous.

Sadly, it seems that there are only a few places left that follow the motto "the customer is always right." Now it seems to be - and especially in CC's case - "fuck the customer!"

Good luck. Hopefully some good will come of it. I dugg this article. Hopefully others will too.

Update 11/28...2051

Chapter Seven: Chump Change

After seeing so much bad publicity from rabbling forum members who read this story on CAG and spread it to other sites, Circuit City decided to give in to my unreasonable demands in order to try to salvage any semblence of positive public image. By posting the store number as well as the names of any involved parties, I purposefully and vengefully indicted a number of average blue-collar workers just like me, all because Circuit City (like most business establishments in the United States) refused to allow me to barter the prices of items down to my liking.

The holidays came and went. My relatives distanced themselves from me after receiving my gift of Mario Party 8. No matter though - estranged family members aside, I still had my nifty $14.99 2Gig Cruzer Micro (black), which more than makes up for the emptiness in my life. I'm still offended that Circuit City didn't sell me the purple one at that price. Which establishment actively REFUSES a customer's money?! Sure, the Alzheimer's grant alottment might have been very-slightly shafted in the long run of things, but I'll be damned if Circuit City puts anonymous Alzheimer's victims before me. Completely dehabilitated victims with their family and personal lives ruined, none the less. But still - fuck them.

I spent the rest of my days alone, with my triforce-emblazoned golden DS, as well as my extra nunchuck conroller which I occasionally used to perform autoerotic asphyxiation on myself. I died alone, a bawling and complaining heap of a man who just couldn't deal with the simple fact that sale prices are only valid and applicable for the duration of the sale.

The End

[quote name='blaked569']Update 11/28...2051

Chapter Seven: Chump Change

After seeing so much bad publicity from rabbling forum members who read this story on CAG and spread it to other sites, Circuit City decided to give in to my unreasonable demands in order to try to salvage any semblence of positive public image. By posting the store number as well as the names of any involved parties, I purposefully and vengefully indicted a number of average blue-collar workers just like me, all because Circuit City (like most business establishments in the United States) refused to allow me to barter the prices of items down to my liking.

The holidays came and went. My relatives distanced themselves from me after receiving my gift of Mario Party 8. No matter though - estranged family members aside, I still had my nifty $14.99 2Gig Cruzer Micro (black), which more than makes up for the emptiness in my life. I'm still offended that Circuit City didn't sell me the purple one at that price. Which establishment actively REFUSES a customer's money?! Sure, the Alzheimer's grant alottment might have been very-slightly shafted in the long run of things, but I'll be damned if Circuit City puts anonymous Alzheimer's victims before me. Completely dehabilitated victims with their family and personal lives ruined, none the less. But still - fuck them.

I spent the rest of my days alone, with my triforce-emblazoned golden DS, as well as my extra nunchuck conroller which I occasionally used to perform autoerotic asphyxiation on myself. I died alone, a bawling and complaining heap of a man who just couldn't deal with the simple fact that sale prices are only valid and applicable for the duration of the sale.

The End[/quote]

Someone please lock the thread, delete my post, and make this the final post of the thread.

I read the whole ordeal...you are ABSOLUTELY right. I feel for you. I really hate when people like myself get screwed over by retail stores. I have had experiences like this in the past. It seems I hear only negative things about Circuit City these days. I have not yet had any major problems with them but I truly feel like never going back after reading that.

Best of luck!

I can't believe this got to be one of the main topics on the left of the site. Nice read and bad situation, but considering it was one of the craziest times of the year at any store I am not sure how this situation even got 23 pages of replies.

lol

You did have a shitty deal... That blows. But you realize that coupon doesn't work on Game systems right? So you would of had to purchase other stuff to make the $200 coupon work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back