How Circuit City Ruined My Weekend - A long short story by billg

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='chosen1s']
I wonder if Circuit City has some of their own people on these boards now trying to do damage control by attacking the OP...[/QUOTE]

read post 516. Hell, if a mod could move post #516 to post #2 that would be fantastic

edit, until this point i didnt realize just how useless the $40 off $200 was. It doesnt work with sale items and doesnt work on videogame hardware.

There are so many sale items on BF weekend, it is much much better to just shop the sale items, rather than try to buy items at retail prices and then use the coupon.

2nd edit.

I really think we should keep this thread going. or just sticky it as some sort of memo as "what NOT to do when shopping in a retail store"

I love how this website is always so quick to shit all over Circuit City at any point except when they have a good deal going.

The Lou? :applause:

Final update: 11/28/2007

Chapter Seven: Conclusive Compromise.

This afternoon, I received a call from Circuit City's corporate offices. Justin, the man in charge of customer care at HQ whom I spoke to yesterday, called me and was interested in settling this matter once and for all, as was I.

Justin informed me that he had spoken to Tim directly at Store 700 about my complaint, and that plans were now in place to have this matter corrected. Justin offered me the Nintendo DS bundle at the Saturday price of 139.99 and the thumb drive at the Saturday price of 14.99. After five days of feeling like I was tilting at windmills, it was nice to receive reassurance that I was not insane. Victory and validation had been sent to me from a white guy at a desk in Virginia.

THAT is going to be a fun trip to the store.

Justin remained firm that due to the finer points of the 40 off 200 coupon, that it should not be applied to my total purchase. I conceded that to him, then of course purchased the nunchuk and Mario Party 8 at Best Buy.

What upset me about our conversation was that while Justin understood my frustration about the pricing errors, he did not seem terribly concerned with the negative attitudes and interaction that came from his employees.

Thankfully, due to many others in this thread posting their stories of negative CC interactions, and in the process taking my small frustration onto a large arena, a lot more people now see how low the customer is truly viewed by Circuit City.

Seeing as how we're in the swing of the holiday shopping rush, and people are trying to decide where and where not to shop, I'd say that's a victory we have all achieved. Hundreds of people expressing their individual and collective displeasure against a company can in no way be good for its bottom line. Several people in this thread have already stated they are never shopping at CC again.

Finally, before I get too long winded (TOO LATE), I end with a telling quote from Justin. I mentioned that while I appreciated him handling my complaint, I told him that many other people online had expressed their problems, and that they should be taken care of as well. Just because I chose to escalate my concern did not lessen other people's problems. I said he would be doing himself and his company a great service by thoroughly checking out the concerns posted on this site.

"It's a site called Cheap - and, Justin, I'm not making this name up - it's called Cheap A-"

Justin interrupted me, stating, "Yes, I am QUITE familiar with the site you are referring to."

Good job, guys. Thanks to you, CheapyD is now known and feared even in the hallowed halls of Circuit City. That's a victory not just for me, but for all of us.

[quote name='billg']Final update: 11/28/2007

This afternoon, I received a call from Circuit City's corporate offices. Justin, the man in charge of customer care at HQ whom I spoke to yesterday, called me and was interested in settling this matter once and for all, as was I.

Justin informed me that he had spoken to Tim directly at Store 700 about my complaint, and that plans were now in place to have this matter corrected. Justin offered me the Nintendo DS bundle at the Saturday price of 139.99 and the thumb drive at the Saturday price of 14.99. After five days of feeling like I was tilting at windmills, it was nice to receive reassurance that I was not insane. Victory and validation had been sent to me from a white guy at a desk in Virginia.

Justin remained firm that due to the finer points of the 40 off 200 coupon, that it should not be applied to my total purchase. I conceded that to him, then of course purchased the nunchuk and Mario Party 8 at Best Buy.

What upset me about our conversation was that while Justin understood my frustration about the pricing errors, he did not seem terribly concerned with the negative attitudes and interaction that came from his employees.

Thankfully, due to many others in this thread posting their stories of negative CC interactions, and in the process taking my small frustration onto a large arena, a lot more people now see how low the customer is truly viewed by Circuit City.

Seeing as how we're in the swing of the holiday shopping rush, and people are trying to decide where and where not to shop, I'd say that's a victory we have all achieved. Hundreds of people expressing their individual and collective displeasure against a company can in no way be good for its bottom line. Several people in this thread have already stated they are never shopping at CC again.

Finally, before I get too long winded (TOO LATE), I end with a telling quote from Justin. I mentioned that while I appreciated him handling my complaint, I told him that many other people online had expressed their problems, and that they should be taken care of as well. Just because I chose to escalate my concern did not lessen other people's problems. I said he would be doing himself and his company a great service by thoroughly checking out the concerns posted on this site.

"It's a site called Cheap - and, Justin, I'm not making this name up - it's called Cheap A-"

Justin interrupted me, stating, "Yes, I am QUITE familiar with the site you are referring to."

Good job, guys. Thanks to you, CheapyD is now known and feared even in the hallowed halls of Circuit City. That's a victory not just for me, but for all of us.[/quote]

How is this a victory for all of us again?

What do we get? WE complain for five days straight, take up hours of time, to save 30 bucks?

Ugh.. pointless to point out how stupid this is.. I think we all know now.

[quote name='billg']Victory and validation had been sent to me from a white guy at a desk in Virginia.[/quote]
There's that whole race thing again. Really, it's not necessary.

I don't know if THAT particular comment was such a good idea with the impending Speedy situation still ongoing. I think you might have wanted to let CAG lay low a little bit on that (not that it matters, all the other sites you posted the story on link back here anyways).

But congrats on getting the items at the price you wanted them. I, for one, was with you on that. At least now, I hope you jump on the fuck CC bandwagon with all the rest of these "so-called" CAGs for Speedy that show "support" by NOT shopping there.[quote name='RedvsBlue']I love how this website is always so quick to shit all over Circuit City at any point except when they have a good deal going.[/quote]

Wait. Let me get this straight again.

You are still thinking about buying Mario Party 8? What the hell man?

---

But still, it's great that they didn't honor the coupon, they way it was meant to be. It's bad that you got the price of the DS from the 5-hour sale, as you shouldn't have, since you were never there on the time the sale was going on. I guess giving you the USB for that price is fine, however, only if it was the black one, mostly because the online store "said it was going to be online" . IF you did get the purple one, I hope you never get to see how horrible Alzheimer is kid - or that you are never in need for charity of any kind.

So... how much did you save again? Was it worth it after all those trips, calls, bitching, and most importantly, time and stress?

Thanks for entretaining me for this two days. A few weeks from now, the world will forget you, and everything you did will be totaly worthless. What did you gain from this?

A lighter wallet and a ruined reputation. You sir, fail at life. Have a nice day.

[quote name='KSE1986']I could say the same thing you said for most of the retailers I go into, let alone on green saturday. Sorry dude but your points are null and void to any store especially on one of the busiest days of the year.[/QUOTE]

No,

Circuit City treats people like this a LOT - not JUST on "Green Saturday". That's the point. And their poor treatment continued long after "Green Saturday". You just want to bash on the OP, probably because you've been in retail or something. For whatever reason, I don't care what you say - if you're basing your logic on what is essentially "this is an isolated incident" you are flatly incorrect and thus wasting everyone's time.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']How is this a victory for all of us again?

What do we get? WE complain for five days straight, take up hours of time, to save 30 bucks?

Ugh.. pointless to point out how stupid this is.. I think we all know now.[/QUOTE]

It's a victory in that Circuit City conceded the OP's point regarding pricing, and even YOU might benefit some time if they take a second though before treating you like trash because they think ignoring someone will make them go away.

Additionally, we all win in that it implies CAG probably has some influence (even if it's just a couple of corporate guys discussing the fallout of a particular decision on the message boards) on corporate behavior and customer service (regardless of whether or not you agree with the OP).

Wow, I love how the idea of 'principle' escaped this thread on its last page. Last time I checked, I'm pretty sure mr billg wrote partway into his epic that it stopped being about money long ago...but hey, we're American right? We must have auto-forgive (or auto-ignorance) on or something..anyways...

While I agree with the fact that Fri/Sat after Thanksgiving are most certainly the busiest retail days of the year, it does NOT excuse any business from giving proper treatment to its customers. No matter how you look at it, businesses are still responsible for respecting and responding to the consumer, regardless of how big or small the demand.

Good job, guys. Thanks to you, CheapyD is now known and feared even in the hallowed halls of Circuit City. That's a victory not just for me, but for all of us.[/QUOTE]

What the fuck!?!!?!?!?!?!?

I really don't believe this shit.... post the damn recordings for us to hear this crap or else your making most of this shit up. Victory? What victory?
You still have to buy the shit at that price... your not getting free shit as you wanted it to be , nor getting a gift card. The whole point of him calling you is to pretty much tell you to fucking get a life. Oh good job telling them about CAG... now they are either going to watch every fucking thing we do when it comes to CC deals or someone up at cc hq is going to say "Hey, isn't that that web site where we were trying to find the real id of that guy...what's his name...oh yea SPEEDY... somebody call our lawyers cause we need to get on that case again now that Billg reminded us of CAG..."

Btw how do you know the guy was white ?!?!? you can tell that shit on the phone?

and CC isn't going to change their ways because of you.... nice try.

[quote name='kiwixstyle']Wow, I love how the idea of 'principle' escaped this thread on its last page. Last time I checked, I'm pretty sure mr billg wrote partway into his epic that it stopped being about money long ago...but hey, we're American right? We must have auto-forgive (or auto-ignorance) on or something..anyways...

While I agree with the fact that Fri/Sat after Thanksgiving are most certainly the busiest retail days of the year, it does NOT excuse any business from giving proper treatment to its customers. No matter how you look at it, businesses are still responsible for respecting and responding to the consumer, regardless of how big or small the demand.[/QUOTE]

What principle would that be exactly? He said this wasn't about money, but in the end all he did was settle for money. The apologies aren't happening from the laundry list of employees he stated, the coupon isn't going to be accepted for sure now, and he's getting the same deal he would've received when they reduced the thumb drive after the first wave of complaints. So basically all this extra arguing cost him any chance he had at the 40 dollar coupon, and he's getting 10 dollars off the DS. Considering the 10 dollar giftcard was too insignificant an amount to accept, but he just accepted it in another form I don't see how any principles were adhered to at all.

As for your comment about businesses not being excused from proper treatment of their customers I'd agree. I would also state though that Black Friday is not an excuse for any customer to treat store employees improperly either. In the end all the people he decided to attack on his trip weren't some faceless corporate entity, they were human beings who deserve to be treated decently. Imagine if you were one of those employees who wanted to maintain employment by following the policies given to you by your bosses, and then some guy posts your name and location on a website and basically tells people how he had preconceived notions that you were going to be an asshole and he was right! Then he tries to enlist an army of people to call the CEO of your organization, and seems to hope they'll bring your name up when they do.

I haven't bought anything at CC since the Speedy incident and don't particularly like the company, but I know how I'd feel if someone launched a holy war against me with an Internet army because I didn't give them 10 dollars of my company's money. Personally if that person did succeed in making me lose my job and everything he put in print wasn't accurate, I'd be suing their ass for libel.

Great story. I'm glad that it was finally resolved in your favor. I don't know how many times DesertEagle and I have gone to these chain stores with our coupons and had to fight the overwhelming ignorance of their own policies just to get the goods.

holy fuck, man. I heart you for teh 2gb thumb drive, but you should know better to pick off better deals else where. (knowing you been to FW)

Some secenario that you shouldve done.
Buy DS bundle and price match, if you cant price match then return it.
Its 149.99 at Amazon, (relevently close to 139+tax)
You are making touble and hassle for yourself really.

After five days of feeling like I was tilting at windmills, it was nice to receive reassurance that I was not insane. [/quote]

You really need proffessional help if you don't think you're insane.

You're on the level of that old lady on Kitchen Nightmares that Gordon called out for being a whiny old bag.

I hope this is all worth being joked about at the store for years to come.

I end with a telling quote from Justin. I mentioned that while I appreciated him handling my complaint, I told him that many other people online had expressed their problems, and that they should be taken care of as well. Just because I chose to escalate my concern did not lessen other people's problems. I said he would be doing himself and his company a great service by thoroughly checking out the concerns posted on this site.

Good job, guys. Thanks to you, CheapyD is now known and feared even in the hallowed halls of Circuit City. That's a victory not just for me, but for all of us.

That's seriously one of the nerdiest conclusions to anything I've ever read on the internet.

Now CC really does have terrible service. That is very true. But your little adventure here is pretty pathetic, and I hope you can see it for what it is. Don't wind up like that idiot on Kitchen Nightmares complaining about food that a world class chef would send out. You're already halfway there.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and your effort in getting some sort of conclusion. It's to the point where no place is a good place to shop at sadly enough.

[quote name='billg']I believe in myself, and I believe in fairness to the consumer. This stopped being about money long ago, and instead became about principle. I will see this transaction through to the very end. I will receive recompense for my inconvenience. I will demand a letter of apology from Nick, Brian, Lawrence, Tim, and anyone else at Store 700 or elsewhere who chooses to prevent me from taking part in American commerce.

[/QUOTE]
You made out that you were going to demand an apology and that it wasn't about money etc. But it doesn't seem like you're getting any kind of apology. It ends up seeming like you weren't fighting for any principle, but rather for the $20-40 that you think you deserved to have discounted off. I had agreed with you all the way about the poor customer service and am very disappointed in how this concluded.

A great read, especially for the many of us who have had to suffer through the horrible customer service at CC.

[quote name='dracula']read post 516. Hell, if a mod could move post #516 to post #2 that would be fantastic

edit, until this point i didnt realize just how useless the $40 off $200 was. It doesnt work with sale items and doesnt work on videogame hardware.

There are so many sale items on BF weekend, it is much much better to just shop the sale items, rather than try to buy items at retail prices and then use the coupon.

2nd edit.

I really think we should keep this thread going. or just sticky it as some sort of memo as "what NOT to do when shopping in a retail store"[/QUOTE]
I just read post 516 and it was a great post. I guess we'll never really know the exact truth of how things went and who was primarily at fault: the OP or the store. It seems like there was some poor customer service, but the OP does seem to be out of line in some of his demands.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']billg's theme:

I started a post
That started the whole world laughing
But I didn't see
That the joke was on me.[/QUOTE]

That's good... I'm surprised he found a few supporters towards the end of the thread. Most of us think he's a jerk.

Billg is one giant tool.

You bitch and moan about not getting the DS at the price you wanted, so you could save the most with your coupon. Then you get the price you want, $139.99, and you go to BB instead to buy two of the other items from your list!?!?!

Granted, the coupon wouldn't work on the DS, but if your fight this whole time has been about getting what you wanted - why the hell did you go through all this just to shop somewhere else?

I really feel bad for the person receiving the DS as a Christmas gift. You shat on an entire store, along with five websites, just to give someone a gift. I really hope, for their sake that they haven't found this thread. And dear Lord, if they have, I REALLY hope they return your precious, lower-priced DS.

I hate to say it, but I also don't agree with the 'victory' part. To me, it seems that all CC did was give you as little as possible in order to get you to stop bothering them. Someone said it WAY back in the thread, but I would imagine that after those first few calls, and namely the one to Britney, there was a file created on you. More than likely, Justin went to a supervisor, and the meeting went something like 'Alright, so what's the easiet way to get this guy to stop calling?' They did that, and you took it.

On a sidenote, you may be able to get the items, but I'd be embarrassed to set foot back in that store after this. The worst part is that I know you'll walk in with a smug attitude, like you won. Newsflash... you didn't.

There was no moral victory here. I assumed this was about the poor customer service, but if, as you claim, Justin seemed unconcerned about the poor treatment you received and offered NO apology, where was the victory for anyone but your wallet?

you know.. i dont know about you guys, but a big reason why i do deal searching is for the thrill of creating the perfect deal.

sure, back when i was in college, i needed deals to merely survive, but now things are different. now it's a thrill,.. a game even. when i walk into a store and save X% on a purchase due to clever coupon stacking, price matching, or other methods, I leave with a sense of accomplishment. on the other hand, if my "method" of saving 20 bucks was 5 days of crying, playing phone tag, and whining on the internet,... i just don't know that i would feel the same. it becomes pointless, especially considering the time invested to save that $20.

i want to say that i'm happy that billg got what he wanted, but i'm really not. he had no business getting either of those prices in the first place, and on top of that he couldn't even purchase the game and nunchuck there as a show of good faith after they bent over backwards for him. i understand it's frustrating that the stock system wasnt accurate(or maybe it was, and people had the items off the shelf by the time you arrived), but i highly doubt that CC guarantees accuracy of that. personally it's always worked for me,.. but then i wasnt using it to check the stock status of a doorbuster item, either.

I really hope he just made up that last post to make himself look better and didn't actually get anything from CC. It saddens me that our country has boiled down to being rewarded for being a douchebag. And just like my earlier post, now he has brought negative attention to these sites we frequent so that he can feel better about his existence. Putting this on the front page could really come back and bite CAG.

[quote name='billg']Victory and validation had been sent to me from a white guy at a desk in Virginia.[/quote]

Like others have said, what?

[quote name='eastx']That's good... I'm surprised he found a few supporters towards the end of the thread. Most of us think he's a jerk.[/QUOTE]

I dont know about most. Seems closer to a 50/50 split to be honest.

I wouldn't of bought the extras there, just the ds bundle and the flash drive. Since the point of using your coupon was to add up the items to equal $200.Would of asked to pick it up at another store just to say shaq fu to them.

[quote name='T3kN']This corporation needs to just die already.[/QUOTE]

To leave Best Buy as the only big box electronics retailer in the US? No fucking thanks. They've already increased the price of their DVDs in the past years ($19.99 price point to $22.99) and cut their mail in rebates in favor of having better sale prices all the time (yeah, we're still waiting for those).

Just look at Gamestop since they bought out EBGames. We hardly ever get Buy 2 Get 1 free sales anymore (when they used to come around once a month and lasted more than 2 days) and trade in values have stayed relatively the same despite a $10 price increase over last generation.

You can hate Circuit City all you want but you have to realize that their existence is beneficial regardless of whether you shop there merely to keep Best Buy at least somewhat in check.

Got an email this morning that CC is having a 3-day sale that ends Saturday. I'm going to go in on Sunday and demand the sale prices. WHO'S WITH ME?

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Got an email this morning that CC is having a 3-day sale that ends Saturday. I'm going to go in on Sunday and demand the sale prices. WHO'S WITH ME?[/quote]
BillG's totally with you. And while he's there, he can trash the CAG rep and name ALL OVER the world!

Somebody could make one of those Marvel "Civil War" banners that says "I'm with BillG" and it can be composed of sale advertisements for "The New Sega Genesis" systems and Pogo Balls and Commodore 64 software and other expired coupons.

And the picture can include some Salvation Army donation kettles that he might go after, as he will likely clean out the Alzheimer's Purple Thumb Drives and need a new charity to bounce his crusade off of.

Seriously, they're discounting the flash drive (Which they tried to do on Sunday), and $10 off the DS bundle (Which is what they offered in a gift card on Sunday as well). And this is a "victory"? I believe that your sense of victory, is as distorted as your sense of right and wrong. Dropping race in there? Really? I don't understand how that didn't erode any support you had left here?

I guess your crusade did exactly what it should have, Bill. Nothing.

At this point, isn't it a good idea to get this off of the front page and distance the site from it as much as possible? Might make the rest of us members look as ridiculous as he does, what with his linking to it all over the net.

I'm not with BillG.
I'm with Reason.

I agree that we should distance ourselves from him... He has a tiny amount of support here, but everywhere else he's being ridiculed and taking CAG along with him. :(

[quote name='chosen1s']No,

Circuit City treats people like this a LOT - not JUST on "Green Saturday". That's the point. And their poor treatment continued long after "Green Saturday". You just want to bash on the OP, probably because you've been in retail or something. For whatever reason, I don't care what you say - if you're basing your logic on what is essentially "this is an isolated incident" you are flatly incorrect and thus wasting everyone's time.[/quote]

You're just as big a tool bag as the OP. I'm not basing this as an "isolated incident" because it happens EVERYWHERE. Get over yourself.

I can't agree with the OP when on the onset of this rant he said it was not about the money, but the principle and then he caved in for the right price. CC didn't apologize or felt remorse about the situation, they just silenced him. Nothing was really gained for the betterment of the consumer. CC didn't give any formal apology, they didn't really lose any significant amount of money, their reputation (or what's left of it) was already bad in the first place, and now they know that they can buy you off to silence you. The only thing different is that the OP is probably not welcomed at any CC near him and he got ridiculed for his overly aggressive tactics. Who really is the victor in this case?

Good job, guys. Thanks to you, CheapyD is now known and feared even in the hallowed halls of Circuit City. That's a victory not just for me, but for all of us.[/quote]

I don't think this is a 'win' for any CAG -- because they assume that CAG = douchebag customer now.

Concise and to the point posting would be a godsend at this point, but I guess I fail in that department regularly too, so carry on with the walls of text.

However, you didn't get the huge 'victory' you were hoping for though. You didn't get your apologies you wanted, you didn't get your coupon honored, you didn't get the first born of the managers who wronged you to offer up as a sacrifice to whatever god it is you worship or any of the other asinine demands you made.

I'm kind of shocked that CC bowed to you and agreed to honor the prices, since YOU were in the wrong for going there AFTER the sale had ended. But, we won't get back into that, since you'll probably whine some more about how you were 'fighting the good fight'.

Either way, you should consider to changing your custom user title to 'whines like a lil bitch' instead of what it is now, since that's what has occured in this thread with your posts for the past half week or so.

Also, I have never invoked the name of CAG on ANY deal, since I know that I want to keep this site to myself, though it's hardly the best kept secret on the net if you check the multitudes of new users signing up almost daily.

Referring to CAG to managers or CSRs for the purpose of thinking it'll further a complaint simply puts us firmly on their radar and targeted in their sights. I'm sure Cheapy doesn't need anymore bad press(like the Speedy debacle)that may risk this sites future, so please, follow the rules of CAG.

1. Don't talk about CAG
2. Don't mention CAG(especially to store employees)

That is all........

[quote name='Darthjer']BillG's totally with you. And while he's there, he can trash the CAG rep and name ALL OVER the world!

Somebody could make one of those Marvel "Civil War" banners that says "I'm with BillG" and it can be composed of sale advertisements for "The New Sega Genesis" systems and Pogo Balls and Commodore 64 software and other expired coupons.

And the picture can include some Salvation Army donation kettles that he might go after, as he will likely clean out the Alzheimer's Purple Thumb Drives and need a new charity to bounce his crusade off of.

Seriously, they're discounting the flash drive (Which they tried to do on Sunday), and $10 off the DS bundle (Which is what they offered in a gift card on Sunday as well). And this is a "victory"? I believe that your sense of victory, is as distorted as your sense of right and wrong. Dropping race in there? Really? I don't understand how that didn't erode any support you had left here?

I guess your crusade did exactly what it should have, Bill. Nothing.

At this point, isn't it a good idea to get this off of the front page and distance the site from it as much as possible? Might make the rest of us members look as ridiculous as he does, what with his linking to it all over the net.

I'm not with BillG.
I'm with Reason.[/QUOTE]

More gold.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Concise and to the point posting would be a godsend at this point, but I guess I fail in that department regularly too, so carry on with the walls of text.

However, you didn't get the huge 'victory' you were hoping for though. You didn't get your apologies you wanted, you didn't get your coupon honored, you didn't get the first born of the managers who wronged you to offer up as a sacrifice to whatever god it is you worship or any of the other asinine demands you made.

I'm kind of shocked that CC bowed to you and agreed to honor the prices, since YOU were in the wrong for going there AFTER the sale had ended. But, we won't get back into that, since you'll probably whine some more about how you were 'fighting the good fight'.

Either way, you should consider to changing your custom user title to 'whines like a lil bitch' instead of what it is now, since that's what has occured in this thread with your posts for the past half week or so.

Also, I have never invoked the name of CAG on ANY deal, since I know that I want to keep this site to myself, though it's hardly the best kept secret on the net if you check the multitudes of new users signing up almost daily.

Referring to CAG to managers or CSRs for the purpose of thinking it'll further a complaint simply puts us firmly on their radar and targeted in their sights. I'm sure Cheapy doesn't need anymore bad press(like the Speedy debacle)that may risk this sites future, so please, follow the rules of CAG.

1. Don't talk about CAG
2. Don't mention CAG(especially to store employees)

That is all........[/quote]

Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back