how come nobody ever makes a $ offer?

polaricecaves

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
so I've had had a FS list for a while and it seems like 98% of the replies I get do not contain the actual ammount of money people are willing to spend.
The first thing you see on my trade list is "pm me an offer"

Almost every pm i get starts out "how much for" or "what are you looking to get for"

not really bugging me that much but I just thought it funny that nobody just says hey i got 20 bucks hook it up... well a very small pecentage of you do anyway...
ramble sorry.. mods delete if you dislike

I think it's because most people on here don't want to make a lowball offer and they also don't want to spend more than they have to. By asking the seller for the price, they get a better idea of what the seller is actually looking to sell the item for.

Most people don't shop at a store where the price isn't listed on an item. I myself am this same way. If I see someones TL/FS list, and no prices are listed, I rarely contact that person about an item. However if someone has an item, and the price is fair or even better than fair, I'm quick to PM them if it's something I want. You don't just walk into a store and say "I'll give you so and so for such and such". The store sets the price 90% of the time. I would imagine this is why you get the type of responses that you (or anyone else) does. Blame how we have been trained in society to buy things I guess.

[quote name='shipwreck']I think it's because most people on here don't want to make a lowball offer...[/QUOTE]

I've seen a fair number of lowball offers presented here at CAG, so I don't think doing this is too big a problem for too many people here. :D

That way there's no risk of paying more than they have to...if you tell them a higher price than they would like, then they can either haggle or walk away. This is the same strategy we all use at yard sales.

OK, I'm just going to put this out there then... I will buy any current gen game that isn't on the POX list for $1. I know, I know.... I'm too generous but this is just to avoid confusion in the future... PM me with offers!

the one time I made an offer for something on here, the bouncer and i-ninja, I offered the price I could buy them for elsewhere, $10, and I was laughed at. It seems to me people here like to buy for little but sell for lots

[quote name='polaricecaves']so I've had had a FS list for a while and it seems like 98% of the replies I get do not contain the actual ammount of money people are willing to spend.
The first thing you see on my trade list is "pm me an offer"

Almost every pm i get starts out "how much for" or "what are you looking to get for"

not really bugging me that much but I just thought it funny that nobody just says hey i got 20 bucks hook it up... well a very small pecentage of you do anyway...
ramble sorry.. mods delete if you dislike[/QUOTE]

Anyone can check eBay to see what the going price of a game or item is. A TL browser asks a seller how much they are looking for in the hope that they'll be able to get a better deal than they could on eBay(or elsewhere). IMO, if you're going to sell games you should list prices, negotiable or not. I suppose the seller who doesn't price their games is hoping someone will offer more than would be expected, having the mentality opposite of a prospective buyer who is asking "how much?".

Part of the problem is that when sellers say "PM me with offers" they usually say somewhere that "lowball offers will be ignored" or such.

If you have a certain price that counts as "lowball," at least let us know so we don't feel like a fool when asking.

And another of my pet peeves--if we wanted to pay ebay prices, we'd go to ebay. Plain and simple.

People who ask "how much?" are not afraid of lowballing. People who ask that are trying to get an unfair deal by seeing if somebody doesn't know what something is worth. Play any online game with open trading and you will see for yourself. Better just to list your prices so you don't have to deal with the bottom feeders.

But um...if you're trying to sell the Bouncer for anything over negative $5 you're a crook. That game was godawful and I wasted $50 on the game when it came out.

no bouncer on my list :)
yeah i just wanted to list a bunch of stuff and it's just too much
to go through and price, you know?

think I'll edit the first line of my FS/FT list

Things with prices mean nothing. Unpriced items mean nothing.
PM me what you'd pay and I'll say yes or no
The site is called cheapassgamer... lowball at will.

I rarely bother sending a PM to buy anything from a list that doesn't list any prices. Your list does include some prices so you can get a feel if you are reasonable or not, but I still generally don't like to spend all the extra time it takes to figure out what a fair offer would be.

My favorite was a guy on TGN who wanted to use EBgames to value his stuff, but the values on DigitalPress to value my stuff. Yeah, sure.

bread's done
Back