How do I make my PC start up fast?

D_Icon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
When I turn on my computer I then click on my account. Afterwards the co,puter loads. It takes a little over a minute. I already went to "Adjust your startup resources to improve performance" and toke off all the check marks. Is there anything else that I can do?

One of the best ways that I found is go to Run in the start menu, and put in msconfig which will bring you the system configuration utility.

Go to the Startup tab, and what I do is look for all the programs that you can recognize from the list. If you can tell what program is loading up, and you know that you don't need it, just unclick it. Click apply, and restart to computer. That should help you.

Try DLing TweakXP from download.com or majorgeeks and have it run. Should super charge your boot up after you remove unnecessary start up programs.

I went to msconfig then check off some things from the Services tab. On the Startup tab there are only 3 things. After I unchecked some stuff off from the Services tab I restarted the computer. When I logged back on I got some message saying I wasnt starting up in "Normal Startup" mode. It said to switch back. So I did and when I went back to the Services tab all the things I unchecked were back. Is it possible to uncheck the items and start the computer in "Normal Startup" to prevent the message from coming out?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Clean up your Startup folder, clean up the Startup tab in msconfig, and then optimize your startup with bootvis.

[quote name='Malik112099']start->run->msconfig->services->disable all->apply->restart[/quote]

You probably don't want to do that.

[quote name='doomlv20']You probably don't want to do that.[/quote]

yeah..i do....on both my pc and laptop....all that shit is just slowing the pc down.....when i start my desktop or laptop it starts in just a few seconds and all i see in the bottom right bar is the speaker icon and my wireless internet connection..thats all i want running when they start...so YES you Do want to do that

[quote name='doomlv20']You probably don't want to do that.[/quote]

I agree, this could really back fire. You should only remove things you KNOW you do not use. Not just everything 3rd party. For instance if I were to do that on my laptop then my touchpad would stop working.

[quote name='dtarasev']I agree, this could really back fire. You should only remove things you KNOW you do not use. Not just everything 3rd party. For instance if I were to do that on my laptop then my touchpad would stop working.[/quote]

the worstthat that could happen is something you use constantly doesnt work..so you go to start->programs->whatever the fuck isnt working and in properties have it turn on on start up...

seriously...are some of you still this new to pc's?

Try Msconfig like others have said. Also type services.msc in the run box. This lists everything that can startup when Windows does-- each service can be set to be automatic, or manual. Cross referrence it at TheElderGeek.com. I believe they have a list of all Windows services. That should help you with the Windows services you need and don't need at least.
Also, I believe PacPortal (I think that's the name of the site, use Google and find out) can help you with the third party list. They have a much bigger list.

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah..i do....on both my pc and laptop....all that shit is just slowing the pc down.....when i start my desktop or laptop it starts in just a few seconds and all i see in the bottom right bar is the speaker icon and my wireless internet connection..thats all i want running when they start...so YES you Do want to do that[/quote]

Don't listen to this guy unless you enjoy a broken computer.

[quote name='Malik112099']start->run->msconfig->services->disable all->apply->restart[/quote]

Removing all SERVICES? That's not smart. Removing startup items is one thing. There are services that Windows requires to run smoothly.

I say you try TuneXP. Just follow the help guide and do the "Recommended for Everyone" features. Just be sure you have a stable power supply etc before using Ultra-Fast Booting - a restart in the middle of that process will destroy your installation.

Malik's suggestion isn't that crazy as long as you check "Hide All Microsoft Services." As long as you don't want Norton or other background apps to run. I wouldn't do it. If you really want to mess around with services, try this - http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

If you want to boot up fast and are the only person that uses your computer, I would disable the welcome screen and have yourself automatically log in. See here. That entire guide is pretty good, though a little outdated. If you use it, be aware that several of the steps are manual ways of accomplishing the same tasks as TuneXP. I'd use TuneXP, then the TweakXP guide for the things it didn't do.

[quote name='gimmepilotwings']Removing all SERVICES? That's not smart. Removing startup items is one thing. There are services that Windows requires to run smoothly.[/QUOTE]
I think he just left out a step for the services, should look more like this -

start->run->msconfig->services->hide all microsoft services->disable all->apply->restart

On the General tab, I also uncheck "Process SYSTEM.INI File", "Process WIN.INI File", and "Load Startup Items". Doing this in combination disabling all the non-Microsoft services provides a very clean boot.

[quote name='redline']I think he just left out a step for the services, should look more like this -

start->run->msconfig->services->hide all microsoft services->disable all->apply->restart

On the General tab, I also uncheck "Process SYSTEM.INI File", "Process WIN.INI File", and "Load Startup Items". Doing this in combination disabling all the non-Microsoft services provides a very clean boot.[/quote]

yes thank you..also disable all the ones under the startup tab...

[quote name='Malik112099']the worstthat that could happen is something you use constantly doesnt work..so you go to start->programs->whatever the fuck isnt working and in properties have it turn on on start up...

seriously...are some of you still this new to pc's?[/QUOTE]

The OP is obviously somewhat new to PC's, and what you're giving is considered bad advise by most people. Most everyone has SOMETHING that's supposed to load at startup.

In my experience, the people who are the most condescending when giving PC advice are the ones that actually know the least.

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']Buy a Mac.[/QUOTE]

Or at least refuse to run P.C.s with OEM installed resource hogs. This still blows my mind. I would be so disappointed with P.C.s if I was an average user. Can you imagine buying a brand new computer and having to deal with all that garbage in every day use? What a waste of somewhat usable hardware.

Hey guys thanks for the help, but I had already fixed things. As for the guy who said to take off all the check marks hes nuts. Thanks again for the help.

[quote name='CokeCola']I say you try TuneXP. Just follow the help guide and do the "Recommended for Everyone" features. Just be sure you have a stable power supply etc before using Ultra-Fast Booting - a restart in the middle of that process will destroy your installation.

Malik's suggestion isn't that crazy as long as you check "Hide All Microsoft Services." As long as you don't want Norton or other background apps to run. I wouldn't do it. If you really want to mess around with services, try this - http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

If you want to boot up fast and are the only person that uses your computer, I would disable the welcome screen and have yourself automatically log in. See here. That entire guide is pretty good, though a little outdated. If you use it, be aware that several of the steps are manual ways of accomplishing the same tasks as TuneXP. I'd use TuneXP, then the TweakXP guide for the things it didn't do.[/quote]

That's funny, I already recommended this one earlier in the thread.:lol:

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']That's funny, I already recommended this one earlier in the thread.:lol:[/QUOTE]
Actually, you said TweakXP, which I've never heard of. Maybe you meant TuneXP?
[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Try DLing TweakXP from download.com or majorgeeks and have it run. Should super charge your boot up after you remove unnecessary start up programs.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back