How do the alcohol laws work in the states?

magiic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
I know in the states the drinking age is 21 but does that apply to purchase, consumption and possession or just purchase and consumption? The reason I am asking is because when I fly back to Canada from New Zealand I want to bring with me a bottle of a brand of rum that is not available in Canada. That being said I am flying through the US on the way back and I don't want to lose it when I go through US Customs. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!

Yes, the 21 age restriction applies to everything. I think they might let you slide though in the airport, if you keep it in the international section, because then I think that falls under international law... I could be wrong, I don't know.
I'm sure if you bring it, and they find it, all they would do is confiscate it. It's always worth a shot.

They would probably confiscate it at the security check point because it is a liquid, and remember those are a no-no now. They try to stop you if you have water bottles.

[quote name='magiic']Duty free store is after the security check point.[/quote]
So you're buying it after the security checkpoint and taking it as a carry on? You should be fine unless you get subjected to some random security check, which isn't likely to happen.

Ya I am buying it from the duty free store at Auckland Intl. Airport. I am then flying to Los Angeles Intl. Airport where I will have to clear customs and security and then flying to Vancouver Intl Airport where I will once more have to clear customs and security and then flying to Victoria Intl. Airport. I am only worried about losing it in the states at customs because I am under 21. I think I may try and look for a phone number tomorrow to call and ask. See if I can get a concrete answer.

[quote name='magiic']Ya I am buying it from the duty free store at Auckland Intl. Airport. I am then flying to Los Angeles Intl. Airport where I will have to clear customs and security and then flying to Vancouver Intl Airport where I will once more have to clear customs and security and then flying to Victoria Intl. Airport. I am only worried about losing it in the states at customs because I am under 21. I think I may try and look for a phone number tomorrow to call and ask. See if I can get a concrete answer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, even if you buy it after the checkpoint in NZ, you may not be allowed to carry it through customs in the US if you're under 21. Also, the no flying with liquids rule will probably affect you on your flight from here at LAX up to your lovely island paradise (I love Vancouver Island and am jealous).

Do you not have any 21 year olds with you on your trip? You could have someone else held onto the bottle, though that wouldn't help if you aren't allowed to carry on liquids.

Pack it up in a box and put lots of newspaper or something in it to protect it from damage, then put it in your checked luggage. They don't really check that stuff as well as carry on, but they do treat it like shit so you want to make sure it won't break.

[quote name='Eviltude']Pack it up in a box and put lots of newspaper or something in it to protect it from damage, then put it in your checked luggage. They don't really check that stuff as well as carry on, but they do treat it like shit so you want to make sure it won't break.[/QUOTE]

They will surely confiscate it if you try to carry it on. Stick it in your checked baggage like he said, or if you REALLY want it and don't mind the cost just mail it back to your home address.

[quote name='keithp']They will surely confiscate it if you try to carry it on. Stick it in your checked baggage like he said, or if you REALLY want it and don't mind the cost just mail it back to your home address.[/quote]

This.

Right now I think that the best option would probably be mailing it to Canada, because if the US Customs officers find it, I am almost positive they will confiscate it.

Yeah, keith is right. I don't think you'll get away with it. Just buy it before the airport and mail it home. And to answer your first question, it is illegal to consume, purchase, possess or even sell if you are a minor. Waitresses or cashiers under 21 can't touch alcohol.

. I was 18 when I brought Johnny Walker on my way my uncle in Norway and bought another 2 bottles for my grandfather on the way back. I had no problem entering the states with them. Though that was pre 911. That being said, I'm sure technically they would confiscate it if you were subject to a random inspection, though your chances of that happening don't seem that high.

[quote name='Eviltude']Pack it up in a box and put lots of newspaper or something in it to protect it from damage, then put it in your checked luggage. They don't really check that stuff as well as carry on, but they do treat it like shit so you want to make sure it won't break.[/QUOTE]

For the past few times I've traveled, they've inspected my checked baggage. I don't know why, but they always leave a nice note saying the TSA has looked through my belongings and fucked the order and my shit up.:D

[quote name='magiic']Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know what goes down when I finally decide to leave New Zealand.[/quote]
Dude, just call your airline and/or the airport. Nobody here is going to be able to give you an absolute answer. Example- it's not going to matter if you put the alcohol in your checked bag or carry on if they all have to go through customs again in the US. So, you're better off calling to figure this out.

I flew back from Jamaica with blood red eyes and they never even thought about checking my luggage. Go figure.

Go with Ugamer_X's suggestion and get a definitive answer from airport officials. For every story that someone got checked there will be someone like me that got through without any questions.

[quote name='shadowkast']@Magiic

can I ask what brand it is you actually want???[/quote]

Mount Gay Eclipse Barbados Rum

Keep it in your checked luggage and you should be fine. On my last trip i came home with 10 bottles of rum, i made it through all of the security checks. You should be fine with 1 bottle.. good luck!!

[quote name='ig88vsbobafett']They sell that in the USA (I have a bottle that i bought here in Wyoming)[/quote]

I don't live in the USA nor can I buy it in the USA

[quote name='Matt Young']You can order that stuff online.[/quote]

It is illegal for alcohol to be carried via standard mail in Canada. This means it must be sent courrier (UPS, DHL, Fedex etc.) which is insanely expensive in Canada especially if originating somewhere other than Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Matt Young']You can order that stuff online.[/quote]

It is illegal for alcohol to be carried via standard mail in Canada. This means it must be sent courrier (UPS, DHL, Fedex etc.) which is insanely expensive in Canada especially if originating somewhere other than Canada.

There's a little misinformation in this thread, through what I'm gonna say probably wont help the OP much.

Anyways, alcohol laws vary by state. There is no federal law that outright bans alcohol for those under 21. It's all done with state laws. I live in Texas, and in Texas if you're under 21, you're allowed to consume alcohol as long as one of you're parental guardians is with you and gives you permission. Yes, you can even drink a beer at the bar with your mom or dad if you're under 21, or drink wine at a family dinner at the olive garden.

Selling alcohol doesn't technically require you to have a TABC license here, but every employer that sells drinks will want you to have one. I believe you have to be 18 to get a TABC license.

But yeah, possession of alcohol if you're under 21 is pretty much against the law here. I'm not quite sure if the customs officers would take your drink though. I mean if you're just going from one plane to the next at the airport, and you had documentation to prove that, then maybe they wouldn't care. Of course they could just be jerks and take it. Cause you know if they take it then they get to drink it.

[quote name='magiic']Ya I am buying it from the duty free store at Auckland Intl. Airport. I am then flying to Los Angeles Intl. Airport where I will have to clear customs and security and then flying to Vancouver Intl Airport where I will once more have to clear customs and security and then flying to Victoria Intl. Airport. I am only worried about losing it in the states at customs because I am under 21. I think I may try and look for a phone number tomorrow to call and ask. See if I can get a concrete answer.[/QUOTE]

They might make you check it (put it with the luggage as fluids aren't allowed) at LAX or Vancouver when/if you have to go through security again after switching airlines which is dependent on the airport layout. And that would be a problem if you're a minor. Best to get someone to buy it now and pack it in your luggage then risk it.

[quote name='tivo']They might make you check it (put it with the luggage as fluids aren't allowed) at LAX or Vancouver when/if you have to go through security again after switching airlines which is dependent on the airport layout. And that would be a problem if you're a minor. Best to get someone to buy it now and pack it in your luggage then risk it.[/quote]

I'm only a minor for the 3 hours I am in the US. I am a legal adult in Canada and New Zealand. I can buy it in New Zealand and carry it in Canada it's just due to Air Pacific screwing me over and not flying to Vancouver I know how to change airlines in LA. I'm going to call some numbers and see if I can come up with a helpful answer.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']In Texas you don't drink, the only source of employment is with the church. It's Sunday 24/7 here.[/quote]

LOL

bread's done
Back