How do you currently get your NES fix?

DigitalSpace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm wondering how CAGs get their NES fix. I'm sure the majority of you play on a toaster unit. If so, how's your toaster? Did you refurbish or replace your pin connector? Did you clean up the unit? Or is blinky, but good enough to play a game with some effort?

The Top Loader is another option for those of you lucky enough to get one who don't mind the drop in picture quality and a lack of a/v support. If this is you, tell us about how you got yours.

And then there are the clones - the Yobo, the FC Twin, the Generation NEX. And then there's the Super 8 and Honey Bee convertors - anybody using those?

And then there's that shitty Power Joy unit they used to sell in malls and flea markets and smaller game stores - maybe they still do, but not around here. I see broken ones in thrifts, but that's about it.

And finally, we have emulation. For those who go this route, why?

Here's my answer: In November 2005, I received a toaster as a late birthday gift. It worked okay - it was pretty blinky and took effort for a game to start, and I planned to eventually replace or refurbish the connector, but I never did. In October of last year, I came across a Top Loader at a CD/Game Exchange, with hookups and one of the original NES controllers. They wanted $50 for it. I had a few PS2 and GBA games I got pretty cheap that I had played through and decided I was probably never going to play again, so I went back a couple days later and traded them in. Fortunately, the Top Loader was still there, and I got $35 in credit, so I paid $15 in cash. I've been using that ever since. The toaster went in storage, and I still want to fix the pin connector someday and clean it up.

I also use emulation, mostly to play rom hacks or to try out games I might be interested in buying whenever I come across the carts.

So, what about you?

(I was planning to do a poll but fucked it up - the first time I forgot to click the box, and then the second time I went back to edit something before I realized that leaving the poll options page would cause the thread to be submitted without it. Whoops. I didn' want to have two fucked up threads, so I just decided to forget about the poll.)

I have my old NES hooked up in the basement along with my Sega and 32X. I still play them from time to time. You can't forget the old school.

I use an original NES in which I have replaced the pin connector. It works almost every time (I only use cleaned games in it) and the games fight fairly tightly. I do also have a top loader, but I didn't like the RF-only output and I'm not technically savvy enough to mod one.

I still use an original. I had to get a new connector. I just bought a contraption from a fellow CAG that will allow me to play my NES games on my GBA SP. It looks kind of awkward with a huge NES cartridge hanging out of it, but oh well.

I use my PSP. Perfect screen for portable goodness.

Also, NES games are perfect for pick up and play. Save states are teh win.

I have used all 4 methods you described. I still have an original NES that I replaced the connector in, a top loader nes, a Generation NEX, and have played emulated games from time to time. My favorite way to play is with my Generation NEX. I usually use the original controllers from Nintendo because they work better than the Generation NEX controllers. Most games work without a hitch with a few exceptions (Castlevania 3). My original NES I don't play because I want to keep it in perfect shape and it is a really tight fit to get the games in with the new connector. My top loader doesn't give as sharp a picture with the RF out. Emulation is ok but is always kind of glitchy on the computer and I don't get to use the original controllers and accessories. I tried briefly but couldn't get the NES emulator running on my PSP and I gave up.

If I have the game physically = Either on my NES Top Loader or the Yobo that I just purchased. (Better video ftw)

If I don't have the game or if I want save states + speed up = Emulator

I have an original box-nes, the official toploader nes, and a Yobo clone all right next to each other. I also have a GBA bootleg cart with a couple hundred nes games on it, and plenty of roms on my PC. I mostly use the Yobo tho. The box nes is for the few games that dont work on the Yobo. The toploader Ive been thinking of getting rif of.

But whatever system I use, I use the 'dogbone' controller with it. That thing rules!

Virtual Console.

Looks great on my HDTV, and the Classic Controller is amazing.

I go this route for conveinence, 480p, conveinence, and more conveinence.

Before I picked up the Generation NEX, I used my original NES that I purchased in 1985, with a replaced pin connection that I got off ebay.

I play the few NES games I have on my GBA...and really that's about it. I've been thinking of picking up a NEX, are they worth it?

I use an original with a replaced 72 pin connector and also dabble in some roms from time to time. I'd much rather use the real deal though. Using the original controllers really bring me back to the old days. The cartridges fit fairly tight with the new connector and uncleaned games still give me the old blink, but with ones that I've cleaned it works flawlessly.

I still have my original toaster from 1986 but it's not hooked up at the moment... I doubt it ever will be again since emulation is so perfect. Right now I use my PSP and my custom arcade cabinet to play NES games and it's great.

[quote name='rscaramelo']FC Twin. NES and SNES fix with only one machine!

RC[/QUOTE]
how do you like the fc twin? any problems? any NES accesories you regret not being able to use?

bread's done
Back