How do you handle your Back Log of games?

Mindzeye82

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I've got a tremendous backlog of games (it's approaching about 20 games that I haven't touched. The shrink wrap is still on!) and its still growing. How do you go about picking which games to buy and finding time to play them all?

I'm a grad student, and as some of you may know, the hours are long and the pay is small, so I don't have as much time as I'd like to play each day. Also, I live with my wife, and as some of you may know, the hours are long and the pay is small, so that also cuts into my time.

But, I'm a sucker for a deal and I keep buying games when they drop to 20$ that I am semi-interested in and it is resulting in the previously mentioned giant backlog. How do you select which games to buy? (anything that looks good or what you know you will want to play?) Do you play a game all the way through, or stop and switch back and forth? Do you even have a backlog?

Thanks for the advice!

It usually sits on my shelf until I decide I want something else so it gets sold for that. Yeah, it doesn't make sense but oh well.

Hahaha.

This is, like, some kind of disease associated with ALL CAG members: not enough time to play all the games we buy.

Trust me, we've got it too. I have so many I haven't touched that I feel that I've spent a lot more money by joining CAG than staying off. :lol:

Welcome to the party.

What works for me is to take the free time you have, find games with appropriate lengths to somewhat fit that free time, and give them a go. That way you can still polish off games fairly quickly. Also, feel free to switch up between two or three games so long as they don't involve importance placed on the story (RPGs) or else you'll get screwed up if you leave a game behind for too long.

Otherwise...play what you can when you can? I've made peace with my backlog by realizing that I cannot play all that I haven't yet played or finished yet. That's it. I'll hit them all eventually but not right now!

Basically, games that get me pins for the Nintendo website come first. Yeah, I know I'm a slut.

The way I manage playing through my backlog is kind of strange. I usually have one game going constantly that I can just grind through without even thinking about (usually a GBA game). I've been good about clearing through a GCN or PS2 game every 4-7 days. DS games take me longer to get to but since I enjoy them so damn much I use them as motivation to get through my less than stellar purchases for other consoles.

there really is nothing you can do about it. just be fortunate you arent spending 50 bucks on a game. Instead you are spending like 5-20 bucks. Sometimes even cheaper lol. Its a hard task to accomplish. Sometimes my buddies open the game before i do.

[quote name='Mindzeye82']Also, I live with my wife, and as some of you may know, the hours are long and the pay is small, so that also cuts into my time.[/QUOTE]

That is too much information for the rest of us (too much action in the bedroom, but at least you got paid for it?!?!).

On to the subject, I have over 100 games in my collection that I haven't played (i did watch the opening movie for about half of them, does that count as anything?). I don't think I'll ever find the time to play thru all those games until I'm retired. By that time, my reflexes will probably be pretty pathetic. I know a lot of people on this board have a much larger collection than I do and I'm guessing that 99.9999% of them have beaten less than 50% of their collection. If you're part of the .0001%, speak up. I want to know the secret too!

I sell it on Ebay. I mean, if the game has been on my shelf untouched for more then two years, I really doubt I'll get to it now, espically with the new systems coming out in November.

Having a backlog means that you will always have something to play. If you gather so many games that you run out of shelf space then it might be time to start selling. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

I have a large number of games that I haven't gotten around to playing yet, but I don't buy games just for rarity/value, so I will eventually play almost everything. I usually pick out 1 game at a time and play it all the way through before starting another.

I've got a tremendous backlog of games (it's approaching about 20 games that I haven't touched. The shrink wrap is still on!) and its still growing.

I remember when I had 20 games I hadn't played. Madonna had just released "Like a prayer" and Milli Vanilli was lip synching #1 hits.

Though the way I deal with my backlog is I stare at them and say "I want to play that". I then do that to about 20 other unplayed games that catch my interest, and then proceed to watch TV, or play a game I played last month.

Just like everyone else I have the same problem. By now I have about 50 games backlogged. With a baby due in September I know by game playing time will decrease even more. Plus the Wii is calling me. I figure its time to go through all the games and ask myself which ones am I really going to play anytime soon.

The theory in a above posting sounds pretty good. If its been on the shelf for 2 years and I haven't played it, I probably should get rid of it...

[quote name='alonzomourning23']
Though the way I deal with my backlog is I stare at them and say "I want to play that". I then do that to about 20 other unplayed games that catch my interest, and then proceed to watch TV, or play a game I played last month.[/QUOTE]

That's the same thing I do, I look at the games for a couple minutes and try to pick one I want to start in on, but then I just grab something I've already played a ton like GTA or Tony Hawk and play that for a while.

I have the same problem...my backlog is in the hundreds and I'm a college student who can barely afford to pay for my rent :lol:

I also stand there looking at my games for about 5-10 minutes and then I grab a game I've already finished or go do something else, haha. How sad...

I organize my games so that it looks cool even if I haven't played half of the games I own. It makes me feel a little bit better because I know that I'm making myself look cool (and dorky). :rofl:

I always open games when I get them, I don't leave them sealed. I have a fear of the disc being scratched or missing materials. That sucks because I know all the games I have, it's just the matter of beating them that's difficult. I had to sell a bunch off, now it's mostly RPG's to finish. It's comforting to know lots of gamers have backlogs, but it doesn't make it any easier!

[quote name='Supercake']I always open games when I get them, I don't leave them sealed. I have a fear of the disc being scratched or missing materials. That sucks because I know all the games I have, it's just the matter of beating them that's difficult. I had to sell a bunch off, now it's mostly RPG's to finish. It's comforting to know lots of gamers have backlogs, but it doesn't make it any easier![/quote]

See, that may be a mistake, depending on how long stuff sits there anyway. I've made over a thousand dollars selling sealed games out of my backlog and buying used ones in their place. Games like castlevania SOTN (sold for $300, replaced with $20 used copy) and suikoden (sold for either $150 or 200, replaced with $30 used copy). It's one thing if I actually played them, but I didn't. They were untouched for years, if I had opened them when I bought them it would have been like throwing cash out the window.

[quote name='onikage']Having a backlog means that you will always have something to play. If you gather so many games that you run out of shelf space then it might be time to start selling. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

I have a large number of games that I haven't gotten around to playing yet, but I don't buy games just for rarity/value, so I will eventually play almost everything. I usually pick out 1 game at a time and play it all the way through before starting another.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're probably closest to me.
I have, probably, over 75 games that I haven't played.
I play games one at a time though.
And the point of games to me is to be fun, not to just trudge through them until I beat them all.
So when I am without a current game, I just pick one that I want to play. Right now I'm playing Goldeneye 007 for N64 and Vice City for PS2. Even though I have much newer games and games that I have bought since then.

[quote name='vietgurl']I have the same problem...my backlog is in the hundreds and I'm a college student who can barely afford to pay for my rent :lol:

I also stand there looking at my games for about 5-10 minutes and then I grab a game I've already finished or go do something else, haha. How sad...

I organize my games so that it looks cool even if I haven't played half of the games I own. It makes me feel a little bit better because I know that I'm making myself look cool (and dorky). :rofl:[/QUOTE]

My situation exactly. I spend more time staring at my game shelves than playing--by the time I figure out what I want to play, I decided I'd rather watch TV or sit online.

walk by and get a glance in every once in a while and think to myself: "ahh, look at all those nice games...one day I'll get to play them...one day"

I've finally learned the secret. I have a decent backlog right now. But instead of popping in Street Fighter Alpha 3 or something else I've already played....I play a backlog game. I actually try and play a game at a time now rather than fumbling between a few different ones. If I really really enjoy it (RE4) I keep it and if I can live without it I sell it off. It's been working out pretty well so far.

Well, Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one with a shelf full of unwrapped games. I agree that leaving them factory sealed is best until you are ready to play them as this significantly increases their Ebay value. I actually just rebought a Star Fox assault because it had the "untouched box art". Fortunately, the "best seller version" i bought two weeks ago is still wrapped so I can return it.

I'm glad that you all suggest I should just keep buying the games and leaving them for resell rather than just not buying them.

Haven't had the issue of a back log until this year. I'm going to take care of it over summer vacation though :cool:

I am getting good at only buying games that I know I will play now. I still have a back log but it is getting smaller now.

I guess I am a rarity here... I don't have a backlog. I always make it a point to finish a game before going to the next... or even buying a game unless I finished the one I'm playing or am partway through my current game. I've learned that not being a packrat allows me to enjoy my games alot more, and minimalizing my collection every month helps as well.

I dont have a backlog...well, maybe I do of about 3 games. The secret is though: Dont buy a game just because its cheap, if you have a good amount of interest in the game then go for it, otherwise...pass.

[quote name='whoknows']I dont have a backlog...well, maybe I do of about 3 games. The secret is though: Dont buy a game just because its cheap, if you have a good amount of interest in the game then go for it, otherwise...pass.[/QUOTE]
It was tough but I had to do this earlier today. I saw Grandia 3 at Best Buy in a bin marked 30% off making it $35. I very nearly bought it but with my DS Lite purchase coming up soon I decided that $35 could go torward Animal Crossing or Mario Kart.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']It was tough but I had to do this earlier today. I saw Grandia 3 at Best Buy in a bin marked 30% off making it $35. I very nearly bought it but with my DS Lite purchase coming up soon I decided that $35 could go torward Animal Crossing or Mario Kart.[/QUOTE]

smartest move of the month by you :)

You'll be happy you didn't buy Grandia 3 (not that it's bad... just money saving wise).

I've tried to buy games that I'm only 100% positive I'll play, but I find that I frequently become interested in a game way after it has been discontinued. Then, i'm on a wild goose chase to track it down.

But, I do think it's a fair strategy for those games that just piqued your interest. Today, I passed on Shaolin monks because I knew that I just wouldn't ever get around to it.

I used to try to plan to play a backlog game on a day I knew I had the time to do it, then one day I realized that damn near never works out so now I just play on weekends late night or early morning, but I never force myself to do it, after all the games are not going anywhere.

The only problem I have is with games I get for Christmas. I just got around to playing Star Wars Battlefront II, still need to start Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and need to get into Dragon Quest XIII (I'm about an hour in and not really excited about it yet).

Otherwise I usually play most everything I have, although I usually hold on to it too.

Badly. Really, really badly. My backlog is in the hundreds. Many for systems no longer on the market. I can't help it. I want to see everything to see what was done, not just to play. And those damn stores keep having those big blowout sales so that I end up with another dozen games added to my collection for nearly free after all is said and done.

The real problem is the sheer physical volume the games consume. Especially old carts. I'm selling off a lot of that stuff inhopes I'll either be able to cheaply replace it in nearly zero space on the Wii and other platforms, and also many of those will reappear in nostalgia collection where one DVD package replaces half a dozen cart boxes.

How do I handle my backlog? I don't.

Well, okay, I sorta do. When I play a game, I play it from start to finish just because I actually get somewhere if I'm not playing a bunch of games at once. It also helps to sell crappy games since then your backlog is really reduced without any time commitment.

Jumping on the GR bandwagon and the good deals last fall just put me in a whole. Around January I realized I had 63 games backlogged. I decided it was time to take a step back and look at it. First thing I decided to do is stop buying games until I shorten the backlog quite a bit. Only had time to make my way through 10 games this year. Sold another 8 i figured I would never get around to playing.

With about 45 on the list still I am starting to still see quite a few cheap purchases in the stack that looking back don't make alot of since. For instance Outlaw Golf 2 for $4.99 at Best Buy last Oct. Still shrinkwrapped next to Mario Golf still shrinkwrapped from target for $10. Don't get me wrong both are great games, but since I have Tiger for the PSP, I don't see myself sitting down for a round of golf in front of the TV. As soon as I start buying games again, I am going to skip the games that qualify under "that's a good game for the price". The CAG in us seems to help create the backlog in the firstplace.

though I still have a backlog of games (what gamer doesn't), I recently have been good at handling them for a couple reasons,

1. only buying games I am genuinely interested in. I stopped buying games simply because they were cheap.

2. if I am starting a long game such as Dragon Quest VIII, Kingdom Hearts 2, or stuff of the like, I try not to throw in another game that is just as long. when I was playing Dragon Quest VIII, it was the only game I was playing and I put all of my focus on it. I tend to get sidetracked when I try to play two or more games that need my full attention. not to say I won't play a game like Kingdom Hearts 2 while playing a fighting or puzzle game as well.

when i intentially get my games.. i usually try to play for an hour each title before i sit down and say hey i'll play through all of this.. the system works for me as usually i don't spend more then 10 dollars a title... i also try to factor in gameplay for price.. i figure if i get 2-5 hours with a game that i paid for 10 bucks thats better then seeing a movie. which is why i have a hard time buying games at even 20 .. i don't even buy new games anymore.. (except for portables because usually used they are not complete) but yeah i try not to go overboard (i would say my backlog of games i haven't really touched is around 10 or less.. probably less)

edit: i also buy games i'm only genuinely interested in, but word of mouth and reviews also sway my purchases of stuff i wouldn't normally touch. and for me.. the price does matter, i figure if i don't play it now i'll have time to get to it eventually.

[quote name='Moxio']Hahaha.

This is, like, some kind of disease associated with ALL CAG members: not enough time to play all the games we buy.

Trust me, we've got it too. I have so many I haven't touched that I feel that I've spent a lot more money by joining CAG than staying off. :lol:

Welcome to the party.[/QUOTE]

I have 84 unplayed/unopened ps2/gamecube games (not including my ds/gba games)... it is insane, and I will never get to play all of them, and I don't know exactly why I get them other than I am a collector, it is cRaZy! and I do spend way to much money on games, but how are you gonna pass up a 5 or 10 dollar game that you would be interested in playing.

It's freakin cheaper than a rental!

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']If it sits on my shelf for 4 months and I havent even started it. I will just trade it in. I could always buy it again.[/quote]
That's a good point. Even if you trade in something that will be valuable, I figure in a few years, I'll have enough money to buy it back. Of course by then, I will have probably forgotten all about it.

That's why I don't really understand people that get mod chips and download all those games. I have a pretty big backlog without it, imagine if you downloaded every game you can, you'd never have time to play each one more than 5 minutes.

I also buy cheap games because like someone said earlier, it's like a rental. Blockbuster rentals are around $7. So if I buy a $10 game, play it for a day and then sell it on ebay, I will essentially have paid the same price.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only freak that spends nearly as much time staring at the collection as I do playing. It's because the backlog is so large (60+ currently) that I have a hard time deciding what to play next. I make solid choices though, and only buy the games I really want to play, so once I settle into a game I usually plow through it in no time. Then I spend a few days trying to figure out what to play next...

Funny thing - this thread has been remade at least 2 dozen times, but I love reading it each time. I have formed a few governing rules concerning my growing backlog, that some people here have already mentioned:

1) If I buy a game at full price or near full price and beat it immediately, I trade it / return it to get the most value. I can always buy it again later on the cheap.

2) If I buy a game and do not open / touch it for 6 months, I re-evaluate my need for that game.

3) If I start a game and do not return to it within 6 months, I once again re-evaluate my need for that game.

4) If I purchase a game for less than $5 these rules do not apply - I'll keep this game forever (unless it's god-awful crap).

Wow, I'm always glad when a thread like this arrives. I have around 5 games that I'm either in the middle of or haven't opened, and I was feeling a bit bad. But, that seems to be on the lower side.

When my backlog does get up there though, one thing I do is stop coming to this site (hard to do since this is one of the few video game forums I can get to from work), but whenever you see a game you were considering for dirt cheap, it's hard not to go get it.

Also, I seriously look at games when they drop to $20. But, since so many drop further, there has to be an overriding reason for me to pay $20 for the game (and I'll usually start those right away). So, as an example, I'm interested in playing Jak III on the PS2. I can grab it for $20 anywhere, but I won't play it right now (I'm playing RE 4 on the cube), so I hold off. Now, if I find it for under $10, I'll pick it up and put it on the shelf to play later.

Though, one person mentioned not going back and playing older games, only tackling the backlog. In theory, this is a good idea. I use to do this. But, then I realized something, I play games for fun. So, if I'm more in the mood to re-start Ico again instead of playing Rise of the Kasai or Doom 3 (which, I did make this choice over the weekend), I'll do that. Gaming is a hobby to 95% of us, we need to treat it like that, and not as a second job.

Lastly, to the original poster, (and off-topic), why describe marriage that way? I know everyone does it, and it's a running joke, but I have to wonder if you made the right choice if you think marriage as a lot of work little return proposition. Honestly, getting married was the smartest thing I did (hopefully the wife sees this lol). I found a woman though who understood that gaming was a part of my life, and something that I intended to keep doing. So, there is a happy medium. I don't spend all day Saturday playing games, but at the same time, she doesn't care if I spend a few hours with them. It works all around.

Personally, I made it a real goal to completely stop buying games until my backlog (which was around 60 games or so) was completely taken down. I made this decision about 8 months ago and have finished roughly 15 games while only purchasing 3 (all of which are GREAT games - Kingdom Hearts, RE4, and God of War).

When I finally catch up (which may take longer than expected as I will be getting a DS Lite), I have vowed to buy only one to three games at a time until they are all beaten.

It is working so far...The most difficult thing about this approach is passing on games you KNOW you want to play in the future, but most of the time I can usually convince myself that 9 times out of 10 those games will be just as cheap and available in the future as they are now...maybe I'm crazy...

How do I handle it?

By buying more games. That way the cycle never ends. Then you can pass that down to your offspring. Then to their offspring. And so on.

I collect them. Right now my unplayed/unfinished games outnumber my played games 2 to 1, at least. It gives my children something to brag about when they bring thier friends over to see them and it will be my final kick in the ass to them when I die and they have to get rid of them...and my Star Wars figures!

bread's done
Back