How do you like your Martini?

[quote name='ZForce915']Vodka or Gin? Dry or Sweet Vermouth?

Discuss.[/QUOTE]Gin, dry, dirty.

[quote name='Machine']Martini = gin & dry vermouth

I prefer Manhattans though...[/QUOTE]

I know what a martini is, My parents run a bar. I was making a joke.

[quote name='Machine']Martini = gin & dry vermouth

I prefer Manhattans though...[/QUOTE]

I know what a martini is, My parents run a bar. I was making a joke.

vermouth, and Gin + CAG = good times

IMG_0847.jpg

I like mine sweet. Definitely hate any with vermouth. I don't know what it is about that stuff, but it isn't a way I want to relax or reward myself.

If you like dirty, caper brine can be a nice change of pace over your standard olive brine...big fan myself.

http://www.gotmartini.com/MartiniMister.htm

This is a very easy way to add just enough vermouth.

I may love Gin, but if I'm drinking that in a mixed drink, it's a gimlet or w/ tonic and a squeeze of lime only.

Martinis have vodka and dry vermouth, served up (chill the glass if you want), and hold the olives (though I won't complain if you screw up and give me one - just don't make it dirty). And, for the record, as suave and sophisticated as Bond was, "shaken not stirred" will give you bruised vodka each and every time you order it. Absolute blasphemy.

Straight up, very dry, very cold, one olive.

Actually, I prefer it sans olive as it clouds the drink with salt. I prefer to taste my gin, if it's a good variety, otherwise it should just be mixed.

Never heard of that vermouth atomizer, it looks like a great idea. I usually order an "in-and-out," which is where they add vermouth to the ice then pour it out before adding the gin so that it coats the ice ever so slightly, but doesn't overpower the drink.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.gotmartini.com/MartiniMister.htm

This is a very easy way to add just enough vermouth.

I may love Gin, but if I'm drinking that in a mixed drink, it's a gimlet or w/ tonic and a squeeze of lime only.

Martinis have vodka and dry vermouth, served up (chill the glass if you want), and hold the olives (though I won't complain if you screw up and give me one - just don't make it dirty). And, for the record, as suave and sophisticated as Bond was, "shaken not stirred" will give you bruised vodka each and every time you order it. Absolute blasphemy.[/quote]

I've heard of this "bruising the vodka." Seriously, I don't know if it makes any noticeable difference. I mean, really?

I prefer Tanqueray a dash of vermouth and slightly dirty in a mad cold glass.

I'm not responsible enough to have more than two of them. I mean, really, when you're drinking a martini, you just as honestly could say, "I am chugging straight fucking gin/vodka to the dome."

[quote name='coltyhuxx']I've heard of this "bruising the vodka." Seriously, I don't know if it makes any noticeable difference. I mean, really?

I prefer Tanqueray a dash of vermouth and slightly dirty in a mad cold glass.

I'm not responsible enough to have more than two of them. I mean, really, when you're drinking a martini, you just as honestly could say, "I am chugging straight fucking gin/vodka to the dome."[/QUOTE]

I've read about brusing vodka. And it does happen, but in myke's case he read about it and is pretending to pass it as real world knowledge.

Yes it can ruin a good martini, but so could using tap water ice cubes to mix it.

No, you bruise gin doing shaking it, not vodka. And even then it's probably bologna (though, I guess you could do a taste test pretty easily to decide). Also, as for caper brine, I will have to give that a try.

I'm not sure I buy the bruised vodka phenomenon. Vodka is just diluted,pure neutral spirits(ethanol). How shaking it affects it's flavor sounds suspicious to me as vodka inherently has no flavor. Gin, on the other hand, is infused with flavors in the final distillation and has a 'complexity' to it that vodka hasn't.

[quote name='bmulligan']I'm not sure I buy the bruised vodka phenomenon. Vodka is just diluted,pure neutral spirits(ethanol). How shaking it affects it's flavor sounds suspicious to me as vodka inherently has no flavor. Gin, on the other hand, is infused with flavors in the final distillation and has a 'complexity' to it that vodka hasn't.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, I was mistaken when I said vodka. I was referring to Gin.

[quote name='jmcc']In either case, it's a load of bull.[/QUOTE]

Most people won't be able to tell, lets just agree on that.

On another note, in Wisconsin Woodman's grocery stores are the shiz-it when it comes to cheap ass booze.

[quote name='ZForce915']Most people won't be able to tell, lets just agree on that.

On another note, in Wisconsin Woodman's grocery stores are the shiz-it when it comes to cheap ass booze.[/QUOTE]

Shaking/bruising gin against ice does affect the flavor. Sometimes with cheap gin busing it gets rid of any bitterness, and makes it taste better.

[quote name='ZForce915']Most people won't be able to tell, lets just agree on that.[/QUOTE]

Well, let those people drink their martinis with rotgut, then, since there's no discernible difference. :roll:

Well, what I meant to say was, there's no scientific basis to bruising gin. It's like "golden ears" in the world of audio.

I'm not trying to argue science, but rather, that the concept of 'bruising' isn't all that complex. Simply put, shaking a shaker (sounds redundant, no?) chips the ice. When the drink is poured into the glass, the ice can (and does) fall into the drink with the liquor.

Ultimately, the question is "what is the necessary amount of ice chips to noticably dilute the flavor?" Well, a solid vodka has very little flavor to begin with, so choosing any vodka makes it a different equation than gin from the get-go. It's not "can a vodka martini be bruised?" because we all know that it's physically possible (and frequently occurring) that bruised vodkas are served. That's a *fact.* Only the most refined of palates (i.e., not mine) could really tell if the flavor of the drink is off (and even then, other factors, from the temperature of the glass, the kind of vodka itself, the amount/type of vermouth, and granishes, make it a far more difficult equation to begin with). When I was a bartender, I would always stir, and shake when asked. Why? Because people are often picky but not very knowledgable, and nobody's ever returned a martini because it wasn't bruised.

In the end, if it's up to me, I'll have a Jameson on the rocks with a splash of water and a squeeze of lemon; nevertheless, this topic was about martinis, so rather than tell you about my preferred bourbons (not many) or about the hop flavor I adore in an IPA, I said what kind of martini I liked. So I said that, and somehow my preference became a point of contention with some prat (not you) who wanted to question my taste, as if he has a better grasp on it than I do. Jaysis.

Can't say I've ever heard of "golden ears," however. I sure don't have them, whatever they are.

[quote name='ZForce915']Most people won't be able to tell, lets just agree on that.

On another note, in Wisconsin Woodman's grocery stores are the shiz-it when it comes to cheap ass booze.[/QUOTE]

lmao, I work at copps and cant believe they actually have roundys brand whiskey. Now that is poor.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm not trying to argue science, but rather, that the concept of 'bruising' isn't all that complex. Simply put, shaking a shaker (sounds redundant, no?) chips the ice. When the drink is poured into the glass, the ice can (and does) fall into the drink with the liquor.

Ultimately, the question is "what is the necessary amount of ice chips to noticably dilute the flavor?" Well, a solid vodka has very little flavor to begin with, so choosing any vodka makes it a different equation than gin from the get-go. It's not "can a vodka martini be bruised?" because we all know that it's physically possible (and frequently occurring) that bruised vodkas are served. That's a *fact.* Only the most refined of palates (i.e., not mine) could really tell if the flavor of the drink is off (and even then, other factors, from the temperature of the glass, the kind of vodka itself, the amount/type of vermouth, and granishes, make it a far more difficult equation to begin with). When I was a bartender, I would always stir, and shake when asked. Why? Because people are often picky but not very knowledgable, and nobody's ever returned a martini because it wasn't bruised.

In the end, if it's up to me, I'll have a Jameson on the rocks with a splash of water and a squeeze of lemon; nevertheless, this topic was about martinis, so rather than tell you about my preferred bourbons (not many) or about the hop flavor I adore in an IPA, I said what kind of martini I liked. So I said that, and somehow my preference became a point of contention with some prat (not you) who wanted to question my taste, as if he has a better grasp on it than I do. Jaysis.

Can't say I've ever heard of "golden ears," however. I sure don't have them, whatever they are.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I'm fine with temp and dilution changing the flavor of a drink. But there are people who argue that the actual act of shaking is what causes the change in flavor. Like kinetic energy tastes like something.

Anyway, I'm a single malt drinker, so I prefer Scotch, to the horror of my ancestry (though, Bushmills is fine enough.) And golden ears are the people who buy into audio cables that cost in the tens of thousands of dollars because they think they can hear static otherwise.

[quote name='jmcc']Yeah, I'm fine with temp and dilution changing the flavor of a drink. But there are people who argue that the actual act of shaking is what causes the change in flavor. Like kinetic energy tastes like something.[/quote]

Oh, I see the distinction. That's not what I'm arguing at all, though it may be feasible in some cases (in the same sense that wine snobs prefer to aerate their reds in a decantur before drinking, I suppose).

Anyway, I'm a single malt drinker, so I prefer Scotch, to the horror of my ancestry (though, Bushmills is fine enough.) And golden ears are the people who buy into audio cables that cost in the tens of thousands of dollars because they think they can hear static otherwise.

Egads. Well, I'm certainly glad to not be one of those folks.

We should have a another topic for whisky. I'm very curious to hear all of your opinions because I'm not a whisky drinker and know virtually nothing about it and very few of my associates drink it, or have any interest in alcohol except to get drunk.

One of the things that bothers me is that most will order a martini and automatically expect vodka and think that a "gin martini" is the variation.

[quote name='bmulligan']One of the things that bothers me is that most will order a martini and automatically expect vodka and think that a "gin martini" is the variation.[/QUOTE]

Word. A martini is gin and vermouth. If you want a vodka martini, you should say "vodka martini".

It's also totally irritating that all these girly drinks (appletini, blueberry martini etc.) are called martinis just because they're served in a martini glass.

bread's done
Back