how does MS know if ur xbox is still under warranty?

cheapbrass

CAGiversary!
I purchased my xbox360 in Feb. 2007, now its getting 'disc unreadable errors' I think my xbox is outside of the 1 year warranty period. But, I never registered my xbox 360. I did sign up for xobox live on March 16th, 2007 tho.

My questions are:
1) how would microsoft dertermine when my warranty expires since I never registered the xbox360? Would they just go by the xbox live activiation date?

2) Is the 'disc unreadable error' a precursor to getting the RROD? Hopefully I will get the RROD soon so at least my xbox360 would be covered under the 3 year warranty. Anyone know how to help the RROD along faster?

It's based on your serial number, I'm pretty sure...

And can't you just say that you got the red ring, and not actually have one?

not sure how it works, but i think the retailer sends the serial number to microsoft when the purchase is made, so you should just have to give them the number n they'll have you register then, as far as burnin it out, just play the crap out of it an leave it on all day with no ventilation i guess

[quote name='mofo1115']yeah red ring it haha just wrap it up nice and tight and leave it on[/quote]

that doesnt red ring it...i did the towel trick about 5 or 6 times to actually revive my xbox from an E74 error but it finally stopped working..

the towel trick over heats the xbox, causes 2(?) lights to light up and then the xbox turns itself off while still running the fans...you wait a few minutes for it to cool down and then it turns on just fine...

I had E74 and told the guy on the phone I had RRoD and they fixed mine no problem

My xbox 360 is about 1 month out of warranty. But now I am having an "unreadable disc error" on my unit. The first time this happened was while I was playing PGR3, and now my 360 doesn't even load any games up and either returns the "unreadable disc error" or doesn't seem to recognize that there is a disc in the drive. I do not have the RROD

My discs are in mint condition, and it doesn't matter which new disc i put in it, they all don't read. Even regular dvd discs. I am PISSED off at Microsoft. I only play my 360 about an average of 2 hours a week…so over the course of my ownership, I’ve played a total of maybe 110 hours. I purchased this unit in Feb of 2007. now, its broken in March of 2008, 1 year and 1 month past the warranty date. I was thinking of the following options:

1) Call MS and try to convince them to repair my console for free since its only slightly 1 month past general 1 year warranty date. Anyone knows the likelihood they will do this?

2) Induce a RROD situation by blocking the vents and leaving the xbox360 on for a couple days while its looping a demo playable from the HD.? Then it would be covered under the 3 year Red Rings of Death warranty.

3) This is a bit shady, buy a new 360 at Sams Club or Walmart and return the broken one to them. Does anyone know if SamsClub or Walmart track serial numbers at time of purchase? I assume that Samsclub/Walmart would then just turn around and send it back to Microsoft (hence I feel its okay since Microsoft sold me a defective product to begin with – and they would ultimately be stuck with a broken unit). Okay….so even if I am able to pull this off and switch it at the retailer, what would happen when Microsoft checks the serial numbers on this unit and find that its linked to my xbox live account which has been used for over 1 year?

Let's see, OP:

1) Might work, if you get the right CSR or CSR manager. Probably tell you to get lost.
2) Invoking RRoD would get the issue fixed, assuming they find the disc issue too. As you're not getting back the same console you're sending it, most likely ends up being a moot point with finding the disc issue.
3) That's return fraud, as you're not returning the item you purchased. Serial numbers get scanned when the item is sold, and unless you swap SN's on the back of the box, you'll be denied. Even then, your SN will show it's out of warranty, so when it finally shits the bed, you'll have to deal with MS anyway.

At this point, invoking a RRoD or telling them you have a RRoD is the only way you'll get it fixed, unless you call them and get a sympathetic CSR. Now, if you call them and tell them it's not reading discs, and then call them back later and tell them it's RRoDing, that might be the best course of action.

Wow, i got my 360 in April 2007 and PGR3 was my first game for it. I first got the "unreadable disc" error followed by my DVD drive dying 2 weeks later. Thankfully i was able to exchange it but yeah, odd that PGR3 is a possible source of the problem?

[quote name='SynGamer']Wow, i got my 360 in April 2007 and PGR3 was my first game for it. I first got the "unreadable disc" error followed by my DVD drive dying 2 weeks later. Thankfully i was able to exchange it but yeah, odd that PGR3 is a possible source of the problem?[/QUOTE]

Cheap hardware is the source of the problem.

[quote name='shrike4242']
As you're not getting back the same console you're sending it, most likely ends up being a moot point with finding the disc issue. [/quote]
FWIW, my 360 finally red ringed last month, and I got the same console back, as did three of my friends whose systems died around the same time. It's not a guarantee either way, but now that there seems to be a bit less of a backup, it's not safe to assume that they won't send you the same system.

[quote name='garfep']FWIW, my 360 finally red ringed last month, and I got the same console back, as did three of my friends whose systems died around the same time. It's not a guarantee either way, but now that there seems to be a bit less of a backup, it's not safe to assume that they won't send you the same system.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. One advantage to giving you back the same console is it avoids the whole DRM mess I guess. I sent mine in 11/2007 and I got a different console. I guess it's a crap shoot. A 3rd option is to pull out that warranty form that came with your console and mail it in. Maybe they will accept it. :) I don't have it in front of me what are the terms?

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']I got mine in March 2006, so it is out of warranty. How long did they extend the rrod warranty for?[/QUOTE]

general warranty was extended to 1 year and RROD warranty to 3 years. Altho, i think the general warranty should have been extended to 3 years as well.

damm microsoft. I definately will not buy the next generation of the xbox.

[quote name='garfep']FWIW, my 360 finally red ringed last month, and I got the same console back, as did three of my friends whose systems died around the same time. It's not a guarantee either way, but now that there seems to be a bit less of a backup, it's not safe to assume that they won't send you the same system.[/quote]That's a surprise, as I thought getting back the same console was an exception and not the rule.

I got my xbox 360 3 months ago from a pawn shop and it died 2 weeks ago. I called microsoft, not expecting any help, but they were great and instantly started filling out a form to send me my coffin. I have heard they extended the warranty to 3 years...i dont care as long as they fixed it. I'm supposed to get it tommorrow

I think it's based on when you registered your console on xbox.com. I could be wrong but the reason I say this is that I bought my xbox in like November of 2006 but registered it on the 5th of June in 2007 and it says I'm under warranty until the 5th of June this year.

It's based off when you bought it because every retail store tracks serial numbers, AFAIK. An easy way to check is just to go to service.xbox.com and register your device and see if its in warranty or not. I know that when I went to register both my 360s they told me exactly the day I bought it, even my first one from December 2005.

Inducing a RROD might work but they will verify it at the repair center and knowing M$ they will only try like 3 times, at max, and if it doesn't show RROD, then they will send it back to you. We believe that the RROD is because it overheats, but not sure, so by tapping the vents shut might work, might not. I wouldn't try to induce a RROD.

As far as your options, the only one I can suggest is to buy a replacement dvd drive that is the same as yours. This would require you to open your xbox 360 up and check. But since it's out of warranty, if it is, then it should be no big deal. If you can't find the same model/brand of dvd drive as your previous one then getting a new benq or new samsung would work, just have to dump the dvd drive key and sppof your new dvd drive as your old one. It's actually pretty simple.

Now as far as complaining and trying to get the CSR at Microsoft repair center, good luck. More than likelly they will not budge an inch. I tried it and failed, multiple times. The only time I actually got what I wanted was thru the BBB, but that is a hassle in and of itself.

And as for the "shady business" don't try. Forum rules also state that it is forbidden to talk about fradulant returns (return fraud).

If all else fails, you can sell your xbox 360 for around $100 shipped (console only) and buy a replacement for $200 @ GS/EB.

[quote name='chex20']Inducing a RROD might work but they will verify it at the repair center and knowing M$ they will only try like 3 times, at max, and if it doesn't show RROD, then they will send it back to you. We believe that the RROD is because it overheats, but not sure, so by tapping the vents shut might work, might not. I wouldn't try to induce a RROD. [/quote]

Do any of you people read posts? I already stated that overheating the 360 is not a feasable way to RRoD it. The 360 knows if it is going to overheat and TURNS ITSELF OFF.

How the hell do you know how many times MS will "try" to get the RRoD? Please don't comment on something you obviously know absolutely nothing about. I had the E74 general hardware fault a year and a half after purchasing my 360. I did the towel trick (overheating it) about 6 times which actually revived the 360 for a couple hours each time until it just wouldn't work and I got the E74 screen all the time. I called CS and told them I had RRoD. They sent out a coffin and 12 days later I had a fixed 360 free of charge.

Don't try to spread your made up facts - it just makes you look ignorant.

Just call and say you got RROD they make you fill out info via phone. As long as the console is not 3 years old from date issued on the box.

They go from the date when you bought it. Oddly enough though, my elite seems to have an extra warranty month. (bought it in december, expires in january)

Hey Op I bought my system at the same time as you and also got the " Disc Unplayable " Error as well. It's headed to rehab. My warranty is good till 12/08.

I've been getting disc read errors since I got my system in summer 2006, though it isn't usually a problem except with games like GTA IV and now Fable 2 which access the drive constantly.

I wish Microsoft would release the "install" feature now instead of with the Nov. 19th update. I don't want to wait until November to install games. I want to play Fable 2 NOW. I'm a little worried that if I keep playing it anyway, and just taking a break whenever there's a read error, I'll eventually crap out my drive or the system entirely. Sending the system in would not be fun. Buying a replacement wouldn't be fun either.

bread's done
Back